HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More Whining From Canuckleheads.

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2004, 03:33 PM
t0mf00lery

vCash: 500
More Whining From Canuckleheads.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...26&hubName=nhl

The Canucks want special treatment from the refs for their star players. How convenient.

Old
02-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Darkman

1. By your sentiment I have to wonder if you saw the hit. As an Oiler fan, I saw the hit and it was dirty on a vulnerable player.

2. The discussion about it being a star player, is that who the paying public goes to see. We don't go to see Horcoff or Pisani play hockey. We go to see Hemsky, Brewer, York, Dvorak.

Accept the senitment being, that the league has to protect the money makers and back in the day of Gretzky it was the same thing. Players taking liberties on star players was not acceptable and people like Dave Brown, Bob Probert, and Dave Semenko would have had a lot to say about something like that.

With the instigator rule, when you are fighting for position, in a close game, can you afford the extra two minutes? No. (Edit: If Moore was left in a bloody pulp by Brad May during that game we wouldn't be having this discussion.)

I totally agree that the league has to not only protect it's star players, but all players. It is just the emphasis is expounded when it is one of the top scorers in the league.

Make sure that you have the same whining mentality when Hemsky is laying in a bloody heap from a cheapshot and Hemsky has his 2nd career concussion.

Old
02-17-2004, 04:09 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman
1. By your sentiment I have to wonder if you saw the hit. As an Oiler fan, I saw the hit and it was dirty on a vulnerable player.

2. The discussion about it being a star player, is that who the paying public goes to see. We don't go to see Horcoff or Pisani play hockey. We go to see Hemsky, Brewer, York, Dvorak.

Accept the senitment being, that the league has to protect the money makers and back in the day of Gretzky it was the same thing. Players taking liberties on star players was not acceptable and people like Dave Brown, Bob Probert, and Dave Semenko would have had a lot to say about something like that.

With the instigator rule, when you are fighting for position, in a close game, can you afford the extra two minutes? No. (Edit: If Moore was left in a bloody pulp by Brad May during that game we wouldn't be having this discussion.)

I totally agree that the league has to not only protect it's star players, but all players. It is just the emphasis is expounded when it is one of the top scorers in the league.

Make sure that you have the same whining mentality when Hemsky is laying in a bloody heap from a cheapshot and Hemsky has his 2nd career concussion.
I saw the hit. I didn't find it dirty. It seemed to me to be a guy following through with hit check. Maybe the elbow came up a bit, but you can't be sure by the replay.

I think that that is a strong case for the instigator rule to be dropped, but I don't feel that the league should have a different set of rules for star players than for grinders.

If you put yourself in a position to be hit and you get hit and the hit gives you a concussion, it doesn't mean that it was a dirty hit.

As far as the issue with Hemsky; I'd feel the same way. I'd expect Laraque or someone to seek revenge, but I would't think the league owed the Oilers any special treatment.

Old
02-17-2004, 04:11 PM
SunshinesDad

Question about the hit

Quote:

Personally I only saw it a couple of times. It didn't look to me like the Av player lead with his elbow or extended it at all. It looked like his arm was tight into his body and it was between the elbow and shoulder where Naslund's head hit. Is this not what happened?

Old
02-17-2004, 04:18 PM
Whitenoise

I don't think it was dirty. Moore was cruising across the redline and Naslund cut across, then reached for the loose puck. Moore saw the opening and took the hit. That's hockey. If Naslund had been standing up he wouldn't have taken it in the face.

Old
02-17-2004, 04:23 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
The thing I didn't like was the fact that

"He is just a kid and he hit our captain and leading scorer"

So it's not okay to hit a good player but if it were reversed, and Naslund had hit him it's not as severe?

Sorry Craw, no dice. The hit was borderline, it doesn't help that Naslund put himself in a vulnerable position. Would Ruutu have held up if he had a free shot on Sakic like that?

Doubt it.

Old
02-17-2004, 04:26 PM
Darkman

Quote:
I saw the hit. I didn't find it dirty. It seemed to me to be a guy following through with hit check. Maybe the elbow came up a bit, but you can't be sure by the replay.
So did I, I saw elbow.

Quote:
I think that that is a strong case for the instigator rule to be dropped, but I don't feel that the league should have a different set of rules for star players than for grinders.
It isn't a separate set of rules. It is a rule to protect players. The Canucks in my opinion is that the refs not only blew a call, but blew it on one of the best players in the NHL. That was the way it was in Gretzky's day. The Canucks are screaming "Accountability" where there has been none. For all the whining about Gauthier hits in Edmonton, I am surprised anyone has anything to say about the Canucks reaction.

Quote:
If you put yourself in a position to be hit and you get hit and the hit gives you a concussion, it doesn't mean that it was a dirty hit.
Which it wasn't. If a concussion is derived from a clean hit, then so be it. Sorry Eric.

Quote:
As far as the issue with Hemsky; I'd feel the same way. I'd expect Laraque or someone to seek revenge, but I would't think the league owed the Oilers any special treatment.
Yeah, as the Oilers have 91 points and the Predators have 92 and it is the 2nd period in game 82 as Tootoo leaves Hemsky wondering if he is still in Pardubice. The score is tied at 2. Yeah right, Georges is going to do something.

Forget this special treatment. The league has a job to protect players and it failed and the Canucks are even further upset that the call was missed on their best player.

Old
02-17-2004, 04:33 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
So did I, I saw elbow.

It isn't a separate set of rules. It is a rule to protect players. The Canucks in my opinion is that the refs not only blew a call, but blew it on one of the best players in the NHL. That was the way it was in Gretzky's day. The Canucks are screaming "Accountability" where there has been none. For all the whining about Gauthier hits in Edmonton, I am surprised anyone has anything to say about the Canucks reaction.

Which it wasn't. If a concussion is derived from a clean hit, then so be it. Sorry Eric.

Yeah, as the Oilers have 91 points and the Predators have 92 and it is the 2nd period in game 82 as Tootoo leaves Hemsky wondering if he is still in Pardubice. The score is tied at 2. Yeah right, Georges is going to do something.

Forget this special treatment. The league has a job to protect players and it failed and the Canucks are even further upset that the call was missed on their best player.
How can it be a "missed call" if it was a clean hit?

Old
02-17-2004, 04:59 PM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshinesDad
Personally I only saw it a couple of times. It didn't look to me like the Av player lead with his elbow or extended it at all. It looked like his arm was tight into his body and it was between the elbow and shoulder where Naslund's head hit. Is this not what happened?
Yup, that's exactly what happened. It was a clean hit. It's not the Avs Player's fault that Naslund was bent down when coming towards him. It's not like the guy from the Avs stuck his elbow up or out. It was a nice clean hit. Naslund's head was right between the elbow and shoulder on the hit.

Old
02-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Elbow aside, Moore left his feet. It was a dirty hit all the way.

Old
02-17-2004, 05:07 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Elbow aside, Moore left his feet. It was a dirty hit all the way.
You sure about that, I'll be putting up some stills from it in a couple of minutes...

Old
02-17-2004, 05:15 PM
dawgbone

Didn't leave his feet at all, until after he stumbled over Naslund.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg‎ (7.6 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg‎ (7.4 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg‎ (7.3 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg‎ (7.4 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg‎ (7.0 KB, 203 views)

Old
02-17-2004, 05:17 PM
MoeLemayStays

excellent mr. dbone

Old
02-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Master Lok

Thanks dawgbone! Excellent pics!

Clearly, Moore did not leave his feet. While Moore was "finishing" his check, I would say that it should be obvious that Naslund is in a very dangerous position. And from the pics, while it looks like that Moore didn't extend his elbow into Naslund, it was the elbow "area" which hit Naslund in the face instead of Moore's shoulder.

I don't think it was a dirty hit, but it was a hit which certainly took advantage of Naslund's vulnerable position. Maybe I'm a little bit naive, but I thought open ice hits were mostly to take the puck carrier off the puck. I don't think Naslund ever had control of the puck but made an awful and dangerous reach for it instead.

Old
02-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Oilers Hockey

I see this as like Hatcher's hit on Staios last year in the playoffs. Oilers fans were out for blood saying it was really dirty and Stars fans were yapping that it was a clean hit. We were pretty pissed right off, this is how Nuck fans feel. I understand, and I do think the hit looks questionable.

However, it was completely unnecessary for Crawford to go out and say "It was just a kid elbowing a star player" or whatever he said. That was stupid.

Old
02-17-2004, 05:39 PM
Yanner39

Looks legal. Good work Dawgbone. One question: Would that qualify as charging? I ask that because of Naslund's vulnerability. He had no chance and it seems like more took a good run at him. I dunno.

Old
02-17-2004, 05:42 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
The same thing happened with the Brashear incident. Vancouver fans were known as whiners. They think their players can do no wrong. What about Cooke or whoever that went after Morris. What about the Canuck player that went after Forsberg. Nothing is said when the Canuck players do something but when it happens to their players, they whine. The Canucks do a lot of cheapshots but then they are quiet and say nothing.

02-17-2004, 06:41 PM
oilerdynasty

Quote:
So did I, I saw elbow.

Yeah, no elbow throw on the play there fluffy. Naslund was reaching and got caught extended and his head low. But, nice try comicbook geek.

Old
02-17-2004, 06:48 PM
Meanashell11

I have to admit I see no penalty there. And I have to admit that Canuck fans are whiners. So we will have to listen to a few years of their whining till their team moves to portland or they go back to sucking. 4 good seasons in 30 is something to be proud of.

Old
02-17-2004, 06:52 PM
Glacier

He went out of his way to make the hit, and the elbow was brought up at the end. The real problem was Naslund's head hitting the ice. And in no way was Moore going for the puck, he was cleary going for the hit on Naslund when he was most vulnerable.

Old
02-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Meanashell11

Would you like a little cheese with that whine??

Old
02-17-2004, 07:02 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Oilers fans (and dawgbone) deserve props for this thread.

Awww, no BC/Alberta love ? :p

Old
02-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Meanashell11

I respect the Flames but the Cannots are just a bunch of losers on a roll. It will end again and when the music stops they will still be 5 cups short of the Oil.

Old
02-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Glacier

We've been on a roll for about 3 years. We easily have the 2nd best forward in the league and the best powerforward in the league. And you guys have the best.......(i'll leave that blank)

This hit wasn't that "dirty", but it was still an elbow and shoul've been called. I've seen worse, but if Naslund came back in the third period it wouldn't be that big of an issue. And I thought the Oilers were going to make the playoffs this year. So is the 10 year rebuilding mode over yet?

Old
02-17-2004, 07:12 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11
I have to admit I see no penalty there. And I have to admit that Canuck fans are whiners. So we will have to listen to a few years of their whining till their team moves to portland or they go back to sucking. 4 good seasons in 30 is something to be proud of.
it's obvious you have a bias against the Canucks, so I won't take your opinion on the incident seriously. Also, I see you had to throw some cheap shots at the Canucks fans, you even go so far as to label us all as whiners? Why the need to do that? Also, what do you find funny about the Canucks ever moving to Portland? would you find it funny if the Oilers moved to Portland? I sure wouldn't be laughing, it would be bad for hockey, just like Vancouver moving would be.

So what if the Canucks have sucked for a majority of the time, I support them, aand will continue to support them no matter what. Consider yourself lucky that you got to witness the Oilers win all those cups(That's Oilers, not you, you had nothing to do with them winning those stanley cups), and stop making fun of other teams fans because they haven't had the priveledge of watching their favorite team win a stanley cup.

Closed Thread