HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More Whining From Canuckleheads.

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2004, 08:15 PM
nuksforlife

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nuksforlife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11
I respect the Flames but the Cannots are just a bunch of losers on a roll. It will end again and when the music stops they will still be 5 cups short of the Oil.
Boy you are the most creative poster I have ever seen, try using a little hockey sense buddy. And as to your post above about vancouver being in Portland in 5 years from now, that will be 2 years after you guys leave. Don;t see Edmonton in this leauge if Van folds.

I am not trolling, I enjoy watching the Oil play, great young fast team. 2nd favorite team in the leauge, but remarks like that are just childish.

Old
02-17-2004, 08:18 PM
Mizral

Really can't complain about the legality of the hit. It wasn't a cheap shot, and while I did feel Moore deserved 2 for elbowing, that's probobly all he deserved.

However, there is the arguement that it's just a kid hitting a star player. While I would not expect Ruutu to let up if it was Forsberg vulnerable like that, I don't think it's so much an issue with the play itself as it is with the instigator penalty.

Can you imagine if there was the instigator in the 80's? Some guy runs Gretzky and Semenko cannot exact revenge?

This is where the instigator fails to protect star players aroudn the league. And that's the thing that pissed me off the most about the play.

As for Moore, yeah he can expect Canuck players to get him back at some point in the season, but I have no doubt in my mind he just thought he was finishing his check, and that I have no problem with.

Old
02-17-2004, 08:19 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuksforlife
Boy you are the most creative poster I have ever seen, try using a little hockey sense buddy. And as to your post above about vancouver being in Portland in 5 years from now, that will be 2 years after you guys leave. Don;t see Edmonton in this leauge if Van folds.

I am not trolling, I enjoy watching the Oil play, great young fast team. 2nd favorite team in the leauge, but remarks like that are just childish.
Don't worry about meanashell..... He's nothing more than a troll..... Don't associate him with the majority of posters on this board.... while I don't like the Canucks at all, I would hate for Vancouver to lose them....

Old
02-17-2004, 08:21 PM
Master Lok

Here's a TSN video link
http://www.tsn.ca/audio_video/video_...asp?reel=18005

Old
02-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman
1. By your sentiment I have to wonder if you saw the hit. As an Oiler fan, I saw the hit and it was dirty on a vulnerable player.

2. The discussion about it being a star player, is that who the paying public goes to see. We don't go to see Horcoff or Pisani play hockey. We go to see Hemsky, Brewer, York, Dvorak.

Accept the senitment being, that the league has to protect the money makers and back in the day of Gretzky it was the same thing. Players taking liberties on star players was not acceptable and people like Dave Brown, Bob Probert, and Dave Semenko would have had a lot to say about something like that.

With the instigator rule, when you are fighting for position, in a close game, can you afford the extra two minutes? No. (Edit: If Moore was left in a bloody pulp by Brad May during that game we wouldn't be having this discussion.)

I totally agree that the league has to not only protect it's star players, but all players. It is just the emphasis is expounded when it is one of the top scorers in the league.

Make sure that you have the same whining mentality when Hemsky is laying in a bloody heap from a cheapshot and Hemsky has his 2nd career concussion.
Excellent comment imo.

I know that I took my family to see the 'Nucks/Lightning game last month and spent a lot of money.

--Tickets for 4
--Nice hotel suite in downtown Vancouver
--Dinner at GM Place
--Drinks at GM Place ($7.25 a beer )
--Souveniers
--Ferry costs etc.

I probably spent at least $800 and I sure as heck didn't pay that much to watch Jaarko Ruutu stick out his tongue.

Old
02-17-2004, 08:34 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier
He went out of his way to make the hit, and the elbow was brought up at the end. The real problem was Naslund's head hitting the ice. And in no way was Moore going for the puck, he was cleary going for the hit on Naslund when he was most vulnerable.
Went out of his way?

The puck is less than 2 feet away from Naslund...

And what are we always told as young players? Take the body. And darn right you lay a guy out when he is like that. It doesn't matter if it's Naslund or the water boy. Once again, what would Ruutu do in that situation if it was Sakic in that position?

He'd have pasted him just as hard as Moore hit Nazzy.

Old
02-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone

And what are we always told as young players? Take the body. And darn right you lay a guy out when he is like that. It doesn't matter if it's Naslund or the water boy. Once again, what would Ruutu do in that situation if it was Sakic in that position?
I for one (and I'm sure there's plenty of other 'Nucks fans) that would be totally pissed off if Ruutu cheapshotted Sakic. Some of us appreciate the skilled players out there so don't go assuming that all of us would love to see Ruutu take out Sakic.

When Sakic got hit in the face with a puck when he played in Vancouver, the fans were upset. Then again, that could have been b/c he's Burnaby Joe and he's a homeboy. :p

Old
02-17-2004, 08:46 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
I for one (and I'm sure there's plenty of other 'Nucks fans) that would be totally pissed off if Ruutu cheapshotted Sakic. Some of us appreciate the skilled players out there so don't go assuming that all of us would love to see Ruutu take out Sakic.

When Sakic got hit in the face with a puck when he played in Vancouver, the fans were upset. Then again, that could have been b/c he's Burnaby Joe and he's a homeboy. :p
Cheap shot? It's not like Nazzy didn't see him coming.

I haven't seen many nuck fans chastize Ruutu for some of the stuff he has done this season.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Cheap shot? It's not like Nazzy didn't see him coming.

I haven't seen many nuck fans chastize Ruutu for some of the stuff he has done this season.
Maybe not cheap but definitely cheesey.

And so far Ruutu hasn't sent anyone to the hospital so I'm not too concerned.

If he oversteps his role as a pest and actually seriously injures someone, star or not... I'll start worrying.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Darkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerdynasty
Yeah, no elbow throw on the play there fluffy. Naslund was reaching and got caught extended and his head low. But, nice try comicbook geek.
Thanks for getting off your skateboard long enough to comment.

Maybe if you had enough cash to buy a radio, you would have seen the people like Mike Barnett agree with me.

Last edited by Darkman: 02-17-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old
02-17-2004, 09:09 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
Maybe not cheap but definitely cheesey.

And so far Ruutu hasn't sent anyone to the hospital so I'm not too concerned.

If he oversteps his role as a pest and actually seriously injures someone, star or not... I'll start worrying.
Why? If Ruutu gets into a position where he can make a hit - borderline or not... You want him to let up? If the hit leads to a player going to the hospital, that's unfortunate. I'd like to see the instigator removed in this instance especially but I don't see a problem in "neutering" players from making a hit.

Look. Chimera last year or the year before pasted Ales Hemsky and gave him a concussion. No one cried foul. We said "Ales has to keep his head up." Unfortunate incident, yes. But not something we should go overboard about.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:18 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
We easily have the 2nd best forward in the league and the best powerforward in the league. And you guys have the best.......(i'll leave that blank)
Best....FANS. The loudest & rowdiest arena is in Edmonton and despite our sorry ass team we're still selling out the building for some reason. We have real die-hard hockey fans filling it up mind you, not corporate bigwigs out for a social gathering.

Quote:
And I thought the Oilers were going to make the playoffs this year. So is the 10 year rebuilding mode over yet?
So did we. What 10 year rebuild? Elaborate please and thank you.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuksforlife

Let's just keep this bull to a minimum. It's a real sensitive issue for some Oilers fans, cause this very well could be our last year. I won't sugarcoat it, I'm worried!

Old
02-17-2004, 09:22 PM
Chayos

Quote:
We've been on a roll for about 3 years. We easily have the 2nd best forward in the league and the best powerforward in the league. And you guys have the best.......(i'll leave that blank)

This hit wasn't that "dirty", but it was still an elbow and shoul've been called. I've seen worse, but if Naslund came back in the third period it wouldn't be that big of an issue. And I thought the Oilers were going to make the playoffs this year. So is the 10 year rebuilding mode over yet?
I have to agree Vancouver has a pretty strong roster and i really like Naslund and Bertuzzi, but in one sense the troll above has it right. The canucks will crash in the playoffs without secondary scoring, so unless they get a 2nd line soon they will miss their chance at the cup. It's not criticizing your team or anything, but it is similar to OTT's problem with grit, both are blatant enough to have cost VCR and OTT chances to go to the Finals.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Lowetide

I thought it was a penalty.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:39 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I thought it was a penalty.
Probably interference/roughing. But no suspension IMO.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Probably interference/roughing. But no suspension IMO.
Yes. I don't know Steve Moore at all as a hockey player, but it seemed like he had decided to take the body and made damn sure he got contact even though Naslund was trying to avoid him.

If he had a long history of that kind of thing, then it might be a different matter. As it is, one could reasonably argue it was a reaction to what Naslund was doing at the time.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:58 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Yes. I don't know Steve Moore at all as a hockey player, but it seemed like he had decided to take the body and made damn sure he got contact even though Naslund was trying to avoid him.

If he had a long history of that kind of thing, then it might be a different matter. As it is, one could reasonably argue it was a reaction to what Naslund was doing at the time.
Yeah. Moore was definitely looking to make contact with his check. But can we blame him for that? Honestly, that's what's keeping him at the NHL level. Otherwise, he'd be in Hershey right now.

It's unfortunate that Naslund was in that type of position. If Naslund hadn't been stretching out, the hit would have been shoulder to chest or something to that extent... and there wouldn't be all this hoopla. Unfortunate, but I can't see how anyone can villify Steve Moore as a player for this instance. IMO, it's just one of those things. Sure, Canuck fans and players better be pissed off... but Moore was just doing what he's always done - finish his check.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:02 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Legal or not, I won't comment, because I didn't see it. But, personally, I don't see why Naslund deserves more "protection from officials" than any other player in the league.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:19 PM
Matts

I thought it was an elbow

and instigator be damned, some Canuck should've went and gooned Forsberg in retaliation

Old
02-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
and instigator be damned, some Canuck should've went and gooned Forsberg in retaliation
Actually, Ruutu did. Twice.

At one time, Ruutu tried to take out Forsberg's legs in the corner with a real low hit. However, Forsberg moved or something, and it ended up just being a so-so collision of the two in the corner, nothing more.

Also, Ruutu at one point slashed Forsberg across the wrist as they were skating up the ice, and the officials didn't catch it.

Not to mention at one point, Ruutu went to clear the puck and caught Foppa right in the chops. The refs called it a 'follow through' motion of the stick (which I'll admit is a pretty ambigious thing since those of us with the benefit of instant replay probobly saw that while Ruutu was trying to hit the puck, he was almost 'accidently on purpose' hitting Forsberg too).

Had the game been out of hand (more than 1 goal up by the Canucks), this would have been a bloodbath. Both Brookbank and Worrel were in the lineups tonight.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:34 PM
oilerdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman
Thanks for getting off your skateboard long enough to comment.

Maybe if you had enough cash to buy a radio, you would have seen the people like Mike Barnett agree with me.
Dangerous isn't dirty, dummy.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
I have to agree Vancouver has a pretty strong roster and i really like Naslund and Bertuzzi, but in one sense the troll above has it right. The canucks will crash in the playoffs without secondary scoring, so unless they get a 2nd line soon they will miss their chance at the cup. It's not criticizing your team or anything, but it is similar to OTT's problem with grit, both are blatant enough to have cost VCR and OTT chances to go to the Finals.
Secondary scoring? Do people really still think that's a problem?

Henrik Sedin has 35 points and is a +20

Daniel Sedin has 40 points and is a +17

Trevor Linden has 29 points and is a -4

Now, while Trevor is probobly better suited to the third line, those points are still better than most second lines in this league.

No doubt the Canucks need one more 2nd liner, but 'secondary scoring' as a whole hasn't been a problem this year in the least. The problem has been the 1st line, in fact. On the power play, they are really not very good this year, and that's been the biggest problem all year.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerdynasty
I like calling people names b/c I'm so inadequate with words.

Old
02-17-2004, 11:08 PM
dre

why does the league have to protect only certain star players. its that attitude that lets players hold out for 2 months. i don't think moore was head hunting but he saw the opportunity and took it. but if there is a cheap hit or slash the league has to protect everyone, not just its elite players.

Closed Thread