HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More Whining From Canuckleheads.

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre
why does the league have to protect only certain star players. its that attitude that lets players hold out for 2 months. i don't think moore was head hunting but he saw the opportunity and took it. but if there is a cheap hit or slash the league has to protect everyone, not just its elite players.
This season is really bad for injuries to teams except for Tampa Bay. Is there a reason for all these injuries or are there more cheap shots than other years.

02-17-2004, 10:54 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
Maybe not cheap but definitely cheesey.

And so far Ruutu hasn't sent anyone to the hospital so I'm not too concerned.

If he oversteps his role as a pest and actually seriously injures someone, star or not... I'll start worrying.
Can't remember if Stephane Yelle went to the hospital two years ago when Jarkoff knee on kneed him, but that certainly seemed like Ruutu's intent at the time.

Old
02-17-2004, 11:34 PM
Darkman

Come on, you don't think that an Oiler fan calling another hockey fan a dummy isn't funny? I was actually impressed by his quick wit, and depth of thought.

I never called it a dangerous hit, he led with the elbow. I called it dirty.

Old
02-18-2004, 08:51 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Guys, we're all hockey fans here...

YOU CAN'T HIT A GUY WHEN HE DOESN'T HAVE THE PUCK. Naslund did not have the puck. Therefore you can't hit him (unless it's NHL 2004.)

Old
02-18-2004, 09:19 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Guys, we're all hockey fans here...

YOU CAN'T HIT A GUY WHEN HE DOESN'T HAVE THE PUCK. Naslund did not have the puck. Therefore you can't hit him (unless it's NHL 2004.)
I guess you didn't get the memo... that rule changed a long time ago.

We as Oiler fans know this because Hatcher is the king of it, he does it every playoff.

I guess the fact that they never re-wrote the rule in the rule book could be confusing...

Old
02-18-2004, 09:51 AM
oilerdynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman
Come on, you don't think that an Oiler fan calling another hockey fan a dummy isn't funny? I was actually impressed by his quick wit, and depth of thought.

I never called it a dangerous hit, he led with the elbow. I called it dirty.
You can clearly see in the replay that he lead with the shoulder. You problem is that as Naslund is reaching and outstretched is his head is now low. If Naslund played like he was in the NHL and not playing in an all star game he would have never put himself in such an exposed position.

Old
02-18-2004, 09:54 AM
oilerdynasty

Go back to playing with your dollies. You don't have a "head" for hockey

Old
02-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
The thing I didn't like was the fact that

"He is just a kid and he hit our captain and leading scorer"

So it's not okay to hit a good player but if it were reversed, and Naslund had hit him it's not as severe?

Sorry Craw, no dice. The hit was borderline, it doesn't help that Naslund put himself in a vulnerable position. Would Ruutu have held up if he had a free shot on Sakic like that?

Doubt it.
100% agreed. Crawford had plenty to be upset about, but to start talking about how a the refs refused to call a penalty when a rookie hit the leading goal scorer is ridiculous. He totally undermined any credibility he had. Who the players are should have absolutely no bearing in the situation. Crawford had the perfect stage to criticize both the refs and the league for their shoddy, inconsistent refereeing based on the fact that one player hit another in the head with an elbow. As soon as began expecting special treatment because it was a rookie laying the hit on superstar he changed the focus to soemthing else.
As far as the hit goes, I thought it was borderline as well. Naslund did go down right before contact, but it didn't look like the rook (name escapes me at the moment), tried very ahrd to tuck his elbow back in. It looked more like a case where he saw an opportunity to lay a hit and take advantage of his opponents precarious situation.

Old
02-18-2004, 10:50 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
100% agreed. Crawford had plenty to be upset about, but to start talking about how a the refs refused to call a penalty when a rookie hit the leading goal scorer is ridiculous. He totally undermined any credibility he had. Who the players are should have absolutely no bearing in the situation. Crawford had the perfect stage to criticize both the refs and the league for their shoddy, inconsistent refereeing based on the fact that one player hit another in the head with an elbow. As soon as began expecting special treatment because it was a rookie laying the hit on superstar he changed the focus to soemthing else.
As far as the hit goes, I thought it was borderline as well. Naslund did go down right before contact, but it didn't look like the rook (name escapes me at the moment), tried very ahrd to tuck his elbow back in. It looked more like a case where he saw an opportunity to lay a hit and take advantage of his opponents precarious situation.
I have no problem complaining about a hit... because of how borderline it was, if it was on an Oiler I would probably be upset and all homer about it...

But when you start talking about him being a star and that, it does lose it's luster... is this the NBA where a foul is only called because the player has been around for a while and it was a rookie who touched him?

Old
02-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Free Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Probably interference/roughing. But no suspension IMO.
Yep, that's all it was. We (Canuck fans) are upset because our best player got smoked by a guy when he didn't have the puck, and now he's got a concussion, and the referees decide to completely ignore that. My beef is with the idiot ref (Martell), not with Moore, who was just finishing his check. It should've been an interference penalty, but the game is long since over. We won.

Old
02-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Glacier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Cheap shot? It's not like Nazzy didn't see him coming.

I haven't seen many nuck fans chastize Ruutu for some of the stuff he has done this season.
Naslund did see him coming, and tried to get out of the way. After the hit you can see the effort from Moore, as he leapt from his feet after the hit.

Old
02-18-2004, 04:31 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pedersen
Yep, that's all it was. We (Canuck fans) but the game is long since over. We won.
We won? Geesh, in all that turmoil the simple fact that we won got overlooked. WE WON... WOOOT!!! Damn, I just missed two days of celebrating... gotta go back and make up for it now.

Perspective: After the dust has settled and Mr. "Marginal" Moore's fifteen minutes of fame expires... he will go back to being a nobody and Mr. Naslund will go back to being, well, a superstar of course.

Old
02-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Perspective: After the dust has settled and Mr. "Marginal" Moore's fifteen minutes of fame expires... he will go back to being a nobody and Mr. Naslund will go back to being, well, a superstar of course.
Perspective: The irony of "Moore's 15 minutes of fame," is that they were directly created by the bickering of many Canucks fans.

And even if that "nobody" never plays hockey again after this year, he'll still have one thing that no single Canuck player will have, a Harvard degree. If not for hockey and the instigator rule your boy Ruutu (and to an extent) Cooke too would both be shining shoes in their hometowns.

Old
02-18-2004, 06:24 PM
Canucks-R-best

Wow. Oil must be doing bad if all they do is talk about other playoff contenders business. Really this has nothing to do with oil fans, please if you have nothing nice to say dont say it at all. Please stay focused on your team an direct any hate towards maybe the Edmonton coaching staff or other areas of your concerns that might help your team.

Old
02-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
Perspective: The irony of "Moore's 15 minutes of fame," is that they were directly created by the bickering of many Canucks fans.

And even if that "nobody" never plays hockey again after this year, he'll still have one thing that no single Canuck player will have, a Harvard degree. If not for hockey and the instigator rule your boy Ruutu (and to an extent) Cooke too would both be shining shoes in their hometowns.
A Harvard degree? Wow, I'm so impressed. I guess you haven't heard my little rant about how much I 'respect' lawyers... I rank them somewhere between bitumen and spew.

No offence to all you Haaavahd lawyers out there; I'm just speaking from personal experience here.

Old
02-18-2004, 07:00 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks-R-best
Wow. Oil must be doing bad if all they do is talk about other playoff contenders business. Really this has nothing to do with oil fans, please if you have nothing nice to say dont say it at all. Please stay focused on your team an direct any hate towards maybe the Edmonton coaching staff or other areas of your concerns that might help your team.
Why? This is still a hockey board is it not? A majority of the discussion here has not even remotely turned malicious; I'd say it's a lot more intelligent than the one going on the main NHL board. Thanks for your concern but it is neither needed nor warranted.

Old
02-18-2004, 07:01 PM
momentai

Quote:
A Harvard degree? Wow, I'm so impressed. I guess you haven't heard my little rant about how much I 'respect' lawyers... I rank them somewhere between bitumen and spew.
:p Does it necessarily have to be a law degree? It could very well be a degree in business after all.

Old
02-18-2004, 07:06 PM
Thalia

Quote:
:p Does it necessarily have to be a law degree? It could very well be a degree in business after all.
I'm only familiar with Harvard lawyers so I tend to lump them all together.

Edit:

OT: Did my eyes just deceive me... did I just see Mike Comrie in a 'Yotes uniform?

What/when/where/how did this happen?!?

I'm obviously quite behind the times here.

Last edited by Thalia: 02-18-2004 at 07:39 PM.
Old
02-18-2004, 07:19 PM
momentai

Quote:
OT: Did my eyes just deceive me... did I just see Mike Comrie in a 'Yotes uniform?

What/when/where/how did this happen?!?

I'm obviously quite behind the times here.
I don't see anything. You must be imagining things... oh those girlish fancies.

EDIT: It happened a couple weeks ago. Remember the Flyers and the Burke hoopla. Yup. Comrie was a part of that deal.

Old
02-18-2004, 08:03 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:

No offence to all you Haaavahd lawyers out there; I'm just speaking from personal experience here.
I dunno how it is in BC, but down in the states (and especially in Haaavahd), you generally won't get a law degree in only 4 years. So, I don't know for certain--but I highly doubt Moore's a lawyer.

Either way, no I haven't heard your rant on lawyers, but it's good to hear that you rank them between Cooke and Ruutu.

Old
02-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
So, I don't know for certain--but I highly doubt Moore's a lawyer.
Neither do I know, neither does anyone else, b/c after all Moore's a 'nobody' remember? :p

Old
02-18-2004, 08:23 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Neither do I know, neither does anyone else, b/c after all Moore's a 'nobody' remember? :p
Uh nah uh, according to Crowford he's marginal...which mean's he's at least "marginally somebody."

Old
02-18-2004, 08:30 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Really can't complain about the legality of the hit. It wasn't a cheap shot, and while I did feel Moore deserved 2 for elbowing, that's probobly all he deserved.

However, there is the arguement that it's just a kid hitting a star player. While I would not expect Ruutu to let up if it was Forsberg vulnerable like that, I don't think it's so much an issue with the play itself as it is with the instigator penalty.

Can you imagine if there was the instigator in the 80's? Some guy runs Gretzky and Semenko cannot exact revenge?

This is where the instigator fails to protect star players aroudn the league. And that's the thing that pissed me off the most about the play.

As for Moore, yeah he can expect Canuck players to get him back at some point in the season, but I have no doubt in my mind he just thought he was finishing his check, and that I have no problem with.
Good post Mizral and I agree. Gretzky and all other players are fair game, and star players should not get special treatment but the tough guy should be able to do his job.

Frontier justice works quite well in the NHL and it made players think twice about taking liberties.

Old
02-18-2004, 09:37 PM
Canucks-R-best

Quote:
Why? This is still a hockey board is it not? A majority of the discussion here has not even remotely turned malicious; I'd say it's a lot more intelligent than the one going on the main NHL board. Thanks for your concern but it is neither needed nor warranted.

Okay well you guys can pull in a topic about another team and start to "hack" or "diss" the other team. It shows lack of respect and class. If you want to discuss about how you think Crawfords actions were good or bad thats fine. But as soon as someone starts saying "the canucks suck" or whatever thats crossing the line. 3-0 for oil by the way

Closed Thread