HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We need an offensive defenseman

Old
07-01-2008, 09:50 PM
tiredman

vCash: 500
We need an offensive defenseman

With the recent rumours about Gainey going after forwards like Sundin and Hossa... and the loss of Mark Streit to the NYI... it makes me wondering why almost nobody talks about the fact that we absolutely need an offensive defenseman...

Let's look at our current dmans :
Markov
Gorges
Bouillon
Komisarek
Hamrlik
O'Byrne

From all these defensemans, there's only Markov who can play in an offensive role... And there are not many defensemans left on the market. Of course, Brisebois could come back but he's nothing more than a fringe player and a 7th dman who can replace some games...

Though, I found that interesting that Sundin's agent mentionned that the habs were going into another direction; maybe Gainey realized that we are in an urgent need of a offensive defenseman and that the team couldn't afford a center of Sundin's calibre ?

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:52 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

all the d's we need are in montreal and in hamilton

no need to worry!

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:53 PM
tdecheno

Streit played most his games at forward anyway.

tdecheno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
all the d's we need are in montreal and in hamilton

no need to worry!
I second That.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:54 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
With the recent rumours about Gainey going after forwards like Sundin and Hossa... and the loss of Mark Streit to the NYI... it makes me wondering why almost nobody talks about the fact that we absolutely need an offensive defenseman...

Markov
Gorges
Bouillon
Komisarek
Hamrlik
O'Byrne

From all these defensemans, there's only Markov who can play in an offensive role... And there are not many defensemans left on the market. Of course, Brisebois could come back but he's nothing more than a fringe player and a 7th dman who can replace some games...

Though, I found that interesting that Sundin's agent mentionned that the habs were going into another direction; maybe Gainey realized that we are in an urgent need of a offensive defenseman and that the team couldn't afford a center of Sundin's calibre ?
Hamrlik's strong offensively, Komisarek is getting better, and Gorges is also improving consistently with his passing ability. I think all in all we're pretty good there. On the PP we can stick S. Kost on the point with Markov and it should work just fine.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:00 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:

Markov
Gorges
Bouillon
Komisarek
Hamrlik
O'Byrne

We need an O-man, a big center and generally bigger size throughout the lineup but definitely in the top 6, we also need more toughness in our bottom 6. If Price doesn't pan out (I think he will), then we need goaltending as well (at least for this year).

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:12 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdecheno View Post
It's true that he played a lot as a forward... but he also played a very important role on the PP. His 34 points on the PP and the fact that he was 2nd on the team for the points on the PP proves that he was a key player. Just like Souray... 2 seasons ago.

I admit that Komisarek and Gorges are improving but I think it's still a huge step for them to become PP producers when both of them combined last season had a total of 0 pt!

Not to mention that in the last years (our best years for the PP), we have always been working with 2 dmans... changing a working system could affect the results...

Old
07-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:

Markov
Gorges
Bouillon
Komisarek
Hamrlik
O'Byrne

Valentenko, Carle and Weber say Hi

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Kachino
@kachino82

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Don't forget PK Subban...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:21 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
For Hamilton of course because there's no spot left for any of them in Montreal.

Markov, Komi, Hamrlik, O'Byrne, Gorges and Bouillon starts in Montreal for sure (assuming there's no trade) and all of them are very likely to play on a regular basis. So, that leaves the 7th spot to one guy. Though, I'm sure that Gainey and Carbo are smart enough to not let a young player on the bench for most of the season if he can play in the AHL without any problems... BTW, I doubt that any of them would already be better in a offensive role than Brisebois, a veteran of the NHL.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:22 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino82 View Post
Don't forget PK Subban...
...there are almost zero chances he even plays a game next season with the habs.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Kaptain Bégin

Quote:
It's true that he played a lot as a forward... but he also played a very important role on the PP. His 34 points on the PP and the fact that he was 2nd on the team for the points on the PP proves that he was a key player. Just like Souray... 2 seasons ago.

Don't worry, be happy!

How we gonna put Koivu, Plekanec, Kovalev, S.Kost, A.Kost, Higgins, Tender, Tanguay on 2 units of PP. It's a big problem. Really, I'm serious, it's a problem. All these guys need PP time to be productive. Put Tender on the ice everytime Higgy was there last year, and Higgins score 16 goals and Tender score 27! So, you say good bye to Streit and put S.Kost and Kovy with Markov on the point(maybe not all in the same time). Kovy on the point give space to guys lke Pleky, Koivu, Tanguay to work the puck and he can use his great slap shot.

Finally, they're no problem at all. Just chill!

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:23 PM
znk

Hainsey is comming back home!

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:23 PM
tinyzombies

SKost can play the point. Breezy is good insurance. Hammer can do it. Kovalev can step back there worse-comes-to-worse.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I admit that Komisarek and Gorges are improving but I think it's still a huge step for them to become PP producers when both of them combined last season had a total of 0 pt!

Not to mention that in the last years (our best years for the PP), we have always been working with 2 dmans... changing a working system could affect the results...
Tanguay and S.Kost can play that role, though we will miss Streit's one timer...but it's not worth paying 4+ mil a year for.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Lone Rogue

I'm expecting to see Sergei on the first PP, and either Gorges or Brisebois on the second PP.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:31 PM
cguerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
We need an O-man, a big center and generally bigger size throughout the lineup but definitely in the top 6, we also need more toughness in our bottom 6. If Price doesn't pan out (I think he will), then we need goaltending as well (at least for this year).
the answer: Carle

cguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:32 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I'm expecting to see Sergei on the first PP, and either Gorges or Brisebois on the second PP.
I dont really like S.Kost on the first PP unit. It removes that one timer threat that made our PP so good in the past couple of seasons.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:47 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdecheno View Post
I don't know why some keep posting this mis-information. He played the majority of his minutes on defense. Please check your records.

Havng said that, my guess is the plan will be to play S. Kostitsyn on the point for the PP so we should be fine in that area.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
I don't know why some keep posting this mis-information. He played the majority of his minutes on defense. Please check your records.

Havng said that, my guess is the plan will be to play S. Kostitsyn on the point for the PP so we should be fine in that area.
He played most of his 5 on 5 minutes in the 2nd half as a forward.

Old
07-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Bégin View Post
Don't worry, be happy!

How we gonna put Koivu, Plekanec, Kovalev, S.Kost, A.Kost, Higgins, Tender, Tanguay on 2 units of PP. It's a big problem. Really, I'm serious, it's a problem. All these guys need PP time to be productive. Put Tender on the ice everytime Higgy was there last year, and Higgins score 16 goals and Tender score 27! So, you say good bye to Streit and put S.Kost and Kovy with Markov on the point(maybe not all in the same time). Kovy on the point give space to guys lke Pleky, Koivu, Tanguay to work the puck and he can use his great slap shot.

Finally, they're no problem at all. Just chill!
I'll believe the 27 goals when I see them in the box scores, not in HFBoard threads.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
We have some pretty good shots on the team that could be used. Andrei Kostitsyn is one of them, Hamrlik used to play on the first power-play for years... We replaced Souray, we'll find somebody to replace Streit.

I believe Souray and Streit were the product of our powerplay anyway, lead by Markov and Kovalev.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Hainsey is comming back home!
I would not be against that at all.

Though I'd want to move Bouillon then (cause I doubt he excepts the #7 role).

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
With the recent rumours about Gainey going after forwards like Sundin and Hossa... and the loss of Mark Streit to the NYI... it makes me wondering why almost nobody talks about the fact that we absolutely need an puckmoving defenseman...

Markov
Gorges
Bouillon
Komisarek
Hamrlik
O'Byrne

edited, more accurate this way

p.s. Hamrlik is an excellent puckmoving d-man

Dandenault or Bouillon need to go, Carle or Valentenko should make the squad next season

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

With Tanguay's addition why isn't he moving up to A.Kost's spot on the 1st PP and A.Kost takes the point where Streit was?

Also wasn't S.Kost the point man on PP#2? If not put S.Kost on point in the #2 PP and give Lats some PP time.

Basically make these our PP lines:

Tanguay - Pleks - Kovy - Markov - A. Kost

Higgins - Koivu - Lats - Hamrlik - S. Kost

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote