HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We need an offensive defenseman

Old
07-01-2008, 11:49 PM
dlandry77

vCash: 500
We are fine. Most of our powerplay goals came from down low any way. That is why our powerplay is so effective, we move the puck all over the place. We never really had that point shot most of the time.

Streit was way over paid espically for a guy that played forward more than defense. We have enough prospects to test out I think.

dlandry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:51 PM
LastRide

It was a big mistake not resigning Streit.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Streit was just horrible in the playoffs....

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:57 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
We have some pretty good shots on the team that could be used. Andrei Kostitsyn is one of them, Hamrlik used to play on the first power-play for years... We replaced Souray, we'll find somebody to replace Streit.

I believe Souray and Streit were the product of our powerplay anyway, lead by Markov and Kovalev.
Bingo.

Markov and Kovalev are the core of our PP, and with those two players on the ice you'll have a top 10 PP, doesn't really matter who's on the point.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:02 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
It was a big mistake not resigning Streit.
Your right, it was a mistake not coughing up 4 million+ for a utility player. Get real.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:15 AM
LastRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Your right, it was a mistake not coughing up 4 million+ for a utility player. Get real.
I bet he would have took less to stay with the Habs. He played really well both on offence and defence. 62 points last year and he's durable playing 81 games. Got his share of points and thats from splitting time on D and O.. Tell me who his replacement is so I can laugh. Streit was 3rd on the team in points!. By the way, I think its nice to have a player that can play both positions. I don't see how thats a negative.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 12:26 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
I bet he would have took less to stay with the Habs. He played really well both on offence and defence. 62 points last year and he's durable playing 81 games. Got his share of points and thats from splitting time on D and O.. Tell me who his replacement is so I can laugh. Streit was 3rd on the team in points!. By the way, I think its nice to have a player that can play both positions. I don't see how thats a negative.
I doubt he would of taken much less. It is pretty simple, he is not worth the money. 34 of his points were from the number one powerplay in the league. I like Streit just as much as the next guy, and wanted him to stay, but not for that contract. He is nothing more than a utility player, a guy you plug into any given position when you need to. We have other players that are going to improve and take over his point production. Not to mention Tanguay, who had more points than him last season, and is more valuable than Streit in every aspect except for durablity of playing positions.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:31 AM
Pascal

the only thing we'll miss from Streit is his ability to gain the zone with his speed. His shot was not accurate and his passes were nothing amazing. He can be replaced.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
It's true that he played a lot as a forward... but he also played a very important role on the PP. His 34 points on the PP and the fact that he was 2nd on the team for the points on the PP proves that he was a key player. Just like Souray... 2 seasons ago.

I admit that Komisarek and Gorges are improving but I think it's still a huge step for them to become PP producers when both of them combined last season had a total of 0 pt!

Not to mention that in the last years (our best years for the PP), we have always been working with 2 dmans... changing a working system could affect the results...
Yes it could. But I think that the true driving force of our PP isn't necessarilly the guy with the strong/accurate shot like Souray or Streit, but the guy feeding them (Markov) The PP should still be highly effective this year. I have no concerns.

I think that Streit must have taken Markov to a steak dinner after signing that huge contract, he was the best bargain in the league last year, and now will make something like a million more than he should thanks to Markov inflating his numbers.

Don't get me wrong, Streit is a good player, but he's getting top pairing money and he doesn't play a top pairing game.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

My idea was to have an offensive D to replace Streit on the PP, but somebody that can actualy play regular shifts while not looking too embarassing. We have our top four in place already for next year. Then Valentenko will probably play for the big club next year. So there would only remain one spot on defense and I would use it for the offensive D. I wonder if Pittsburgh would be interested to get rid of Ray Witney if they re-sign Orpick for big bucks?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:36 AM
TheAntiprice*

With S Kost, Tanguay, Saku, Plek, Markov...there sure will be a lot of passes. who the hell's gonna shoot beside kovalev and A Kost???

P.S: whomever suggested we move kovalev to the point is insane.

TheAntiprice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Wow, I'm surprised to see how delusional some of you are.

Streit will not be easy to replace, my friends.

I love our D prospects as much as anyone else, but you can't possibly expect one of them to step up and become an elite PP performer.

Yes, I said elite PP performer - that's what Streit was last season. He has more than just a hard low shot; he was a key cog in our PP, and his constant movement often opened up the opposing team's PK and created passing lanes for other players. Few people notice how instrumental his movement was to our PP.

Valentenko, Gorges, Komisarek, O'Byrne...none of these guys are offensive defencemen. Weber and Subban have potential, but neither is even remotely close to stepping into an NHL lineup and contributing 30-40 points (forget 60 points).

I can hear the haters already; yes, he wasn't at his best during the playoffs, but he was playing injured. Yes, he's no Lidstrom on D, but he's nowhere near as bad as people claim - he's got an active stick, plays sound positionally. His main drawback is the fact that he can get outmuscled down low.

Anyway, defencemen who can produce as many PP points don't grow on trees, and yes, it is without question an area that Gainey needs to address.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:24 AM
jcpenny

Valentenko has a booming shot from the point. Im not sure if he'll make the team this year but if he does and gets a chance to play on the PP, look out. Big potential here...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
Valentenko, Gorges, Komisarek, O'Byrne...none of these guys are offensive defencemen. Weber and Subban have potential, but neither is even remotely close to stepping into an NHL lineup and contributing 30-40 points (forget 60 points).
Although he probably isn't close to being an offensive force in the NHL, I think people could be surprised by Valentenko's offensive skills if he continues to develop. He has a number of attributes that would be required to put up points, it would just be a matter of learning to apply them correctly at the NHL level IMO. He can skate well, he can protect the puck quite well (although could improve), he has some nice passing skills (though is inconsistent right now, but his offensive zone passes can be very impressive) and has a shot that, for power at least (accuracy needs work) beats anyones in Montreal except perhaps Andrei Kostitsyn. All those things can be worked on and may come naturally (to a degree) as he adapts to the NHL. Souray was never a goal scorer from the blueline, until he worked at it. Tank could adjust to such a role in time as well as improve his general puck moving abilities. He isn't a short term fix for the problem, but he has some potential in that regard. I wouldn't count him out yet.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Kaptain Bégin

Quote:
Wow, I'm surprised to see how delusional some of you are.

No, we're realist. We can't give 4M$ per to a guy who is our 7th defenseman and 4rd line material. NYI can give it to him because he became one of their top-3 defenseman! Simple as that. Bob don't think it worth 4 millions to play on PP. So, instead giving him 4 millions, he traded for Tanguay, who is a PP performer as well and a better EV player.

And I really think the best option is to put Alex Kovalev on the point for 2 minutes. He can't play 2 minutes at forward, on the point, he can. And with the kind of passer we have with Koivu, Tanguay, Plekanec, etc., we don't need him down low and you give space to these guys because you must keep a eye on him all the time. The guy gets his better year playing the point with Pittsburgh.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:44 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I doubt he would of taken much less. It is pretty simple, he is not worth the money. 34 of his points were from the number one powerplay in the league. I like Streit just as much as the next guy, and wanted him to stay, but not for that contract. He is nothing more than a utility player, a guy you plug into any given position when you need to. We have other players that are going to improve and take over his point production. Not to mention Tanguay, who had more points than him last season, and is more valuable than Streit in every aspect except for durablity of playing positions.
Last time I counted to 100, I thought 62 was higher than 58.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
Hamrlik's strong offensively, Komisarek is getting better, and Gorges is also improving consistently with his passing ability. I think all in all we're pretty good there. On the PP we can stick S. Kost on the point with Markov and it should work just fine.
i feel the same way!

skost could work the point.

Hamrlik is named 'hammer' for good reason, he has a BULLLIT shot from the point, which was not utilized last season. i hope that this season he will get increased PP time and some of you will be surprised to see what he has to offer!

Gorges will continue to improve, as well as komi, but the question of 7th dman is an important one

im still hoping that dandenault will move on...
im still hoping that breeze-by will retire....

will the 7th dman be Valentenko? Carle? ..........Steve Montador?

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiprice View Post
With S Kost, Tanguay, Saku, Plek, Markov...there sure will be a lot of passes. who the hell's gonna shoot beside kovalev and A Kost???

P.S: whomever suggested we move kovalev to the point is insane.
Sundin, Higgins and Latendresse... don't underestimate Markov... he had 16 Goals last season

Ape Clutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Although he probably isn't close to being an offensive force in the NHL, I think people could be surprised by Valentenko's offensive skills if he continues to develop. He has a number of attributes that would be required to put up points, it would just be a matter of learning to apply them correctly at the NHL level IMO. He can skate well, he can protect the puck quite well (although could improve), he has some nice passing skills (though is inconsistent right now, but his offensive zone passes can be very impressive) and has a shot that, for power at least (accuracy needs work) beats anyones in Montreal except perhaps Andrei Kostitsyn. All those things can be worked on and may come naturally (to a degree) as he adapts to the NHL. Souray was never a goal scorer from the blueline, until he worked at it. Tank could adjust to such a role in time as well as improve his general puck moving abilities. He isn't a short term fix for the problem, but he has some potential in that regard. I wouldn't count him out yet.
You've surely seen him play more than I have, so I trust your assessment. During the few Hamilton games I've seen, I thought he had some intriguing potential, but I wouldn't qualify him as being an offensive-thinking defenceman. Komisarek displayed some offensive potential in Hamilton, and that hasn't yet translated into him being an offensive contributor at the NHL level so far. Valentenko may very well have a hard shot, but as aforementioned, Streit is so much more than a guy with hard shot on the PP. It's his intelligent movement on the PP that makes him a great point player on the PP. I don't see Valentenko ever having that level of offensive awareness or flair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Bégin View Post
No, we're realist. We can't give 4M$ per to a guy who is our 7th defenseman and 4rd line material. NYI can give it to him because he became one of their top-3 defenseman! Simple as that. Bob don't think it worth 4 millions to play on PP. So, instead giving him 4 millions, he traded for Tanguay, who is a PP performer as well and a better EV player...
I agree that giving Streit 4M$ wasn't the right move for this team. I never said otherwise. I'm arguing that Streit was a key PP contributor, and that we have a glaring need for someone to step in and be as effective as he was playing the point on the PP. Can Kovalev or Kostitsyn be the answer should we be unable to find an offensive D to replace him? I hope so.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:11 AM
BeerHell

Quote:
Streit will not be easy to replace, my friends.
And if you remember correctly last year at the same date we we're saying the exact same thing except we had Sourray's name instead of Streit's we thought that our impressive PP would be dead without Sourray and looked what happened last Season...we were even better!!

Don't be so pessimistic...Streit we'll be replaced on the PP ...and will not be missed on the 5 on 5...

BeerHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHell View Post
And if you remember correctly last year at the same date we we're saying the exact same thing except we had Sourray's name instead of Streit's we thought that our impressive PP would be dead without Sourray and looked what happened last Season...we were even better!!

Don't be so pessimistic...Streit we'll be replaced on the PP ...and will not be missed on the 5 on 5...
Who's we? I was never a big fan of Souray's, and actually expected Streit to do a fine job replacing him. Like I said multiple times, Streit's PP contribution is more than just a hard shot (which is what Souray is).

Anyway, I'm not being overly pessimistic - saying he won't be easy to replace doesn't mean I'm saying it's impossible. Kovalev and AKost are possible options.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
You've surely seen him play more than I have, so I trust your assessment. During the few Hamilton games I've seen, I thought he had some intriguing potential, but I wouldn't qualify him as being an offensive-thinking defenceman. Komisarek displayed some offensive potential in Hamilton, and that hasn't yet translated into him being an offensive contributor at the NHL level so far. Valentenko may very well have a hard shot, but as aforementioned, Streit is so much more than a guy with hard shot on the PP. It's his intelligent movement on the PP that makes him a great point player on the PP. I don't see Valentenko ever having that level of offensive awareness or flair.
I wouldn't say that he is shaping up to be an offensive minded defenseman either, I only wanted to point out that he has some offensive skills that could make him useful at both ends of the ice. His main strength in the NHL will surely be his defensive and physical play, but he could yet prove to be capable of putting some points on the board, both on the PP and a few at even strength.

The point about Tank not having the level of intelligent movement in the offensive zone as Streit sounds right, although he has displayed a handful of Markov-esque passes that showed good awareness on the PP. I'm not sure if he will ever get himself into open spaces for shots other than when wide open at the point, but if his passing game develops further, he could provide a very interesting option at the point - someone who could pass around or shoot through the opposition. Unless this comes naturally to him soon, I don't imagine he'd find such skills coming to hand early in his NHL career. Making sure he is solid in his job as a Dman would surely be the main focus for him, but he may apply these skills more and more over time if they don't burst into life in the next couple of years.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:23 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
We have Carle a year or two away, Weber about the same time frame, Subban coming in the future.. Emelin, Valentenko, Fischer and McDonagh all have offensive abilities too, but they won't be PP QB's more as 2nd unit guys.

Markov is our PP QB along with our best D. Hamrlik does fine on the PP. We have the Kostitsyns, Kovalev etc. who can play the point as forwards on the PP.

Not resigning Streit was not a mistake. He wanted full-time defence minutes and his contract is outrageously bad.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:29 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
...Making sure he is solid in his job as a Dman would surely be the main focus for him, but he may apply these skills more and more over time if they don't burst into life in the next couple of years.
Exactly - you hit the nail on the head. It's not easy stepping into the NHL and being a good shutdown D. Komisarek took a few years to adjust to the speed of the game. Because of that, Valentenko will have to focus on the defensive aspect of the game, and we probably won't see much of his offensive potential for quite a while. Komisarek is only now just starting to display some of his offensive abilities.

Old
07-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Peter6625

Any chance Gainey trys to sign former Hab Ron Hainsey? I knew that was going to be a mistake.

Peter6625 is offline   Reply With Quote