HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Duncan Milroy

Old
06-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Perfect_Drug

vCash: 500
Duncan Milroy

What's his career prospects look like?

I remember 2 seasons ago, he was pretty good in the A, and even managed to crack the lineup for a few games.

I'm actually perusing this from the Edmonton forums. He's actually the brother of one of my close friends.

I understand he's not exactly lighting it up, and has been surpassed by quite a few other players, but would like to know what kind of value does he carry? Is it possible for him to one day be a fringe journeyman NHLer?

Anyways, I'd really appreciate if this thread dosen't get filled with snyde remarks.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

He doesn't seem to be in Montreal's plans anymore. But he has certainly been a serviceable AHLer, and always had a good profile in terms of his community involvement and character. I would imagine the Habs wouldn't have anything against him coming back in Hamilton due to his character. But for his own sake, he'll probably want to take a kick at the can in another organization first, just to see if a change of scenery somehow jumpstarts him back on the NHL path again.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Toro

im sorry, i was trying to read your post but i couldn't take my eyes off your avatar

something about milroy?

edit: like the above answer, he should try another organization, if he still wants to play in the NHL.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

One of those guys I wish we could give good money so that he could stay in Hamilton and help the kids as years go by.

You need Milroys, Lockes, JP Cotes....to improve, your kids need someone good to work with when they are in the AHL.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 01:22 AM
Richybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
One of those guys I wish we could give good money so that he could stay in Hamilton and help the kids as years go by.

You need Milroys, Lockes, JP Cotes....to improve, your kids need someone good to work with when they are in the AHL.
We already have too much of those players...Way too much !

Richybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 07:55 AM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
What's his career prospects look like?

I remember 2 seasons ago, he was pretty good in the A, and even managed to crack the lineup for a few games.

I'm actually perusing this from the Edmonton forums. He's actually the brother of one of my close friends.

I understand he's not exactly lighting it up, and has been surpassed by quite a few other players, but would like to know what kind of value does he carry? Is it possible for him to one day be a fringe journeyman NHLer?

Anyways, I'd really appreciate if this thread dosen't get filled with snyde remarks.
I think so. The problem is that his upside is, at best, 3rd/4th liner, and we've got more than enough of those at the moment. I see him as a pretty good AHLer, or, like you said, kind of a fringe NHLer, but I don't see him getting much more than an occasional injury call-up with us.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Blades 0f Steel

2 seasons ago I was really high on him and thought he might be able to become a decent 2nd line winger.

He has a great shot, and does the little things well, but he struggled the past year for whatever reason. I hope he gets a few more NHL games with another team.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 09:16 AM
mcphee

I think he's one of those guys who is just a bit behind where he needs to be skill wise. Hands,feet, reaction, just a bit below NHL level.

I've read that he's a great guy, active in community causes,fine athlete, junior badminton champion, [yeah I know but if you trhink it's easy, you try it tough guys], but I don't think he's an NHL player. I don't know if the block is physical or mental, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that 'he just needs a chance'.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Chris Nilan

Quote:

The good news is that there was only ONE (1) Milroy, ONE (1) Locke and ONE (1) Cote at Hamilton last year . . . One of each is more than anybody needs.

Each of the three listed above is stuck in the AHL mode in his own way. As for Milroy, it seemed that in his first season or two in the AHL he was relying too much on his talent to get him through rough patches. He hadn't noticed that the old adage about moving up a level: "you don't get faster, everybody around you does." I think this was only part of it and every young guy goes through it to some extent.

Over the last two years, though, I think it became more obvious that he's one of those guys who peaked as a junior. The individual parts of his game look good--not great--but then you put them together and it seems he's just a touch below NHL standards. It really showed when he played with AK46, Plekanec or others who made it. His passes weren't tape-to-tape as frequently or as crisp when they were; his shot is just a touch less heavy; his skating is just a touch slower.

Not to start a conspiracy theory, but I wonder if all the community nice guy stuff is a way of ingratiating himself and keeping a job . . . Smart move, actually, if it is.

Locke is the last one I'd want to see back. He's kind of like Drew Bledsoe was as a quarterback: if he had an all-pro left tackle, a 1200 yard back, two 80 catch receivers, an indoor game, an opponent with 5th place schedule and playing a soft 2-deep zone, Drew could throw 400 yds. Otherwise, bring on the interceptions.

Guys like Cote abound in the AHL. He's no great loss no matter who his daddy is.

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

And all of those guys I wish we could've traded much earlier for similar guys elsewhere who also needs a change of scenery. So not only you give those players a chance to make the NHL and start all over but obviously you also acquire guys who will want to prove something to their new organization. Would've been some win-win trades.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I think he's one of those guys who is just a bit behind where he needs to be skill wise. Hands,feet, reaction, just a bit below NHL level.

I've read that he's a great guy, active in community causes,fine athlete, junior badminton champion, [yeah I know but if you trhink it's easy, you try it tough guys], but I don't think he's an NHL player. I don't know if the block is physical or mental, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that 'he just needs a chance'.
Yeh, both of his brothers are vying for spots on the Canadian badminton olympic team.

I think his eldest brother Bobby is ranked in the top 20 in the world, and will likely be at Beijing if they don't axe Badminton all together.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote