HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our team's weakness

Old
07-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
Our team's weakness

What does everyone think is our team's weakness?

Our top forwards? Our third and fourth lines? Our defense? Goaltending? Special teams?

IMO its our third and fourth lines. I think that we need bigger, more skilled players (more two-way games). Guys who can actually control the puck longer then a second.

Unfortunately, I don't see us upgrading those players unless we have a huge turnover...

Anyway, what does everyone else think?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:02 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

Our top forwards? Our third and fourth lines? Our defense? Goaltending? Special teams?

IMO its our third and fourth lines. I think that we need bigger, more skilled players (more two-way games). Guys who can actually control the puck longer then a second.

Unfortunately, I don't see us upgrading those players unless we have a huge turnover...

I think it's our third line. We've basically got a slew of offensively-limited fourth liners who can play spot third line minutes playing way out of their league. We have a decent top six--whenever everyone is healthy, but as injuries occur, we end up having to slot guys like Bonk, Fiddler and Peverley into the top six, and it kills all of our scoring. In years past, we actually had third liners that could be counted on to chip in...guys like Hartnell, Johnson, etc...now we rely heavily on guys that just can't get it done.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Our third line is extremely weak at even strength, and it has become our achilles heel, especially with the way we role our lines.

07-02-2008, 11:53 AM
predhead1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Our third line is extremely weak at even strength, and it has become our achilles heel, especially with the way we role our lines.
And especially in the playoffs where teams can focus on shutting down our top two lines and then run roughshod over our smallish grinders. Not a secret or anything, but it's clear this is why Poile targeted Wilson in the draft and Jones in the trade. He recognizes the deficiency and has made a couple of moves to rectify it.

predhead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:32 PM
hoosierpred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

Top Line Weaknesses:
Arnott works well to get is shot, and hits it often, but he is not as effective as he needs to be when he is directly in front of the net. (he needs to work on screening, deflections and rebounds). Dumont is a skilled player, but he does have a tendancy to let off the gas at times. Radulov is progressing nicely, but tends to hold on to the puck too long (tries to do too much). I would like to see more set plays entering the zone with these players and more fluidity with play development when they can't utilize a set play. (this is the problem on the power play too).
2nd line Weaknesses: Have Legwand and Erat that both skate well but line lacks a proven left winger. We all have hopes for the Swede of course. I think the main problem here is that while Erat skates with the puck, he often has trouble finding people in scoring position. I wish Leggys shot was more accurate. We need to find a scorer on this line.
3rd line: A agree with what people have been saying. I really hope we will eventually go with a BIG YOUNG GRINDER line composed of our two newest prospects and perhaps Geoffrion or some big guy as yet unidentified. Boy, that would be a lot of fun to watch. I would love to see what that line could do right now.
4rth line: I have to say I really like it as it is---like a bunch of bowling balls where the other team is the pins.

hoosierpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:57 PM
braindead

I clearly agree with the 3rd line comments. The 4th is fine with a variety of combinations of our bottom 6/7 guys but the 3rd is lacking.

One comment on Legwand specifically and our top 6 generally: no imagination in shot selection. Legwand in particular drives me crazy when he gets a breakaway, makes no move whatsoever and then tries to pick a corner as he gets to the goalie. I'm not a Legwand basher by any stretch but this one just irks me.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:54 PM
dulzhok

Our biggest weakness is PRIMARY scoring. We don't any player(s) who can carry our team offensively and dictate the play. Arnott-Dumont-Legwand-Erat are complimentary offensive players, and are 2nd-3rd tier offensive talent. If you look at the teams that have made the finals recently, they've had mutiple players who can consistently be a threat in the offenisve zone. Detroit (Z-berg, Datsuk), Pitts (Crosby, Malkin, Hossa), Anaheim (Selanee, Getzlaf), Ottawa (Heatley, Spezza).

This weakness becomes even more apparent when the playoffs come, and goals are at a premium.

Goaltending could be a potential weakness. We'll just have to see if Ellis can carry over his great play down the stretch.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote