HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rhett Warrener?

Old
07-02-2008, 10:17 PM
tiger_80

vCash: 500
Rhett Warrener?

I know I am going to get Flamed, but would Oilers be interested to bring in Warrener for one season as #7 d-man. I know he's well past his prime, but he's got some good experience and probably will not get more than 600-700K at this point.

If anything, he could be a decent mentor to guys like Smid and Peckham.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:20 PM
the word*

Better option than Roy if you can convince Warrener to take the journeyman role.

Picking up ex-flamers makes my stomach turn.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I'd pass on that one.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OILFAN #81

100% NO. The game has passed him by mainly because of all the injuries he has had. His body is broken down. He's a good person and a warrior at heart but is completely broken down. 100% NO.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:22 PM
alphahelix

hey, did you hear the rumor that Jaromir Jagr is in town?! seriously though, F rhett warrener ...

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:23 PM
pox

vCash: 767
Send a message via MSN to pox
id rather have Jason Smith back

oh by the way i dont want jason Smith back within 60 meters of this team

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Alex87

Actually I would be onside in specific circumstances. If he was used as a #7 d-man, if he made only 700k a year (but will he? UFA defensemen salaries are so inflated this summer), I think it would be reasonable. He would be good insurance in case of injuries (probably a step up over Rourke last year anyways) and as you say would provide a steadying influence on our young D corps.

That being said though, with the youth movement on the team, I suspect the coaching would prefer to give the position to either Peckham or Roy, and it's hard to argue with that. Both guys are younger and have more long term potential with the team. That being the case, Warrener would probably be unnecessary.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:28 PM
the word*

Don't under estimate leadership for a young team, especially at that position.

Warrener is actually a good choice. Convince me Roy is better.

We can't sit Smid or Peckham to be a #7.

Flames won't miss him on the ice but that team isn't loaded with natural leaders.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:31 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Actually I would be onside in specific circumstances. If he was used as a #7 d-man, if he made only 700k a year (but will he? UFA defensemen salaries are so inflated this summer), I think it would be reasonable. He would be good insurance in case of injuries (probably a step up over Rourke last year anyways) and as you say would provide a steadying influence on our young D corps.

That being said though, with the youth movement on the team, I suspect the coaching would prefer to give the position to either Peckham or Roy, and it's hard to argue with that. Both guys are younger and have more long term potential with the team. That being the case, Warrener would probably be unnecessary.
I think it's not unreasonable to expect that Warrener at this stage will take anything he will be offered. 700K might get it done. #7 means he won't play many games, barring another major string of injuries. I don't what's harm in that. Even with the youth movement we need some older players to help the kids to get to the next level. And none of the veteran d-men we have have been great physical defensive d-men. What is Souray going to teach Peckham or Smid--how to become the anti-hero of highlight reel goals?

I think the risk in bringing Warrener at a low price for one year is close to zero.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote