HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kilger update

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2008, 11:36 AM
FlaPanthers7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan100 View Post
Dude, not really. I live in Toronto. Everything gets shoved in your face over and over again (which is a good thing, don't get me wrong but...when Sundin's marriage is front page news on one of our newspapers more than once in a week...) when it comes to the Leafs (or anything in the hockey world actually but especially the Leafs).

He came back, played again...and then didn't play again. He hadn't played right before the trade with Florida. That's why most people assumed Kilger's issue was with the Leafs. It wouldn't make sense for JM to trade for a player who isn't playing.

At this point we don't know what the "homework" would have been exactly. It didn't look like Kilger was going to play. We, here in Toronto, didn't expect him to play. JM gave up a 3rd rounder for a player who was a question mark. If Kilger WAS playing, it would be a nice deal, but he wasn't.

The Leafs traded a player. They're allowed to do that. They did nothing wrong. Kilger, well we don't know what the issue is, so let's assume it's legitimate and wish him the best. And the Panthers, well, probably shouldn't have traded for him without finding out if he's going to play for sure. Again, he was a question mark.
I don't think anyone is blaming the Leafs, or they shouldn't. This one is on JM. Whatever his problems are, I think it's unprofessional to not give any indications of whether or not you are going to play as it does affect the lineup and what the Panthers need to do to fill his role. I understand personal problems are more important than hockey, but if Kilger weren't a hockey player this wouldn't fly in a regular job. Both sides need to be respectful, but at least make your intentions clear - play or not, or play after X amount of time.

Old
07-07-2008, 08:41 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
I don't think anyone is blaming the Leafs, or they shouldn't. This one is on JM. Whatever his problems are, I think it's unprofessional to not give any indications of whether or not you are going to play as it does affect the lineup and what the Panthers need to do to fill his role. I understand personal problems are more important than hockey, but if Kilger weren't a hockey player this wouldn't fly in a regular job. Both sides need to be respectful, but at least make your intentions clear - play or not, or play after X amount of time.
How is it on JM? Kilger was playing prior to the trade...he was ready to play for the Leafs vs the Panthers...how is it JM's fault that he decided to disappear off into the ether?

If a finger is to be pointed anywhere, it needs to go squarely on Kilger. He's the one who acted deceptively and advantageously. Hindsight is 20-20, making it easy to say JM should've been more cautious.

I still don't think anyone could have predicted this turn of events after the trade.

Old
07-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I'd like to see him play as well. We need a guy like him on the checking line.
LOL...Kilger couldn't check his hat.

Old
07-22-2008, 01:14 PM
PattyLaLa16

Is there any update to this situation? This seems kind of odd that he would keep a team out in the dark for this long about his playing status.

Old
07-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyLaLa16 View Post
Is there any update to this situation? This seems kind of odd that he would keep a team out in the dark for this long about his playing status.
Still nothing.

07-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Whale4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyLaLa16 View Post
See Niedermayer, Scott and Selanne, Teemu for clarification on this.

Old
07-22-2008, 03:59 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale4ever View Post
See Niedermayer, Scott and Selanne, Teemu for clarification on this.
well, kilger is NOT niedermayer or selanne. if he's not at camp, i think we can consider him done (i'm sure we'll have heard something by then tho). meanwhile, JM has bigger (the biggest) fish to fry.

Old
07-25-2008, 12:19 AM
pwallll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
LOL...Kilger couldn't check his hat.
He led the Leafs in hits every year since the lockout.

Old
07-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
He led the Leafs in hits every year since the lockout.
Big deal. The Leafs have been soft as a wet Kleenex since the lockout. So hitting and checking are one and the same? Good to know...20+ years of watching the game, that never really occurred to me for some reason.

Seriously, Kilger was the worst defensive forward on the team next to Tucker. And Belak, who you also traded for...still can't believe that.

Old
07-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Big deal. The Leafs have been soft as a wet Kleenex since the lockout. So hitting and checking are one and the same? Good to know...20+ years of watching the game, that never really occurred to me for some reason.

Seriously, Kilger was the worst defensive forward on the team next to Tucker. And Belak, who you also traded for...still can't believe that.
Lol. We didn't get Belak for him to play great minutes, only when one of our players is getting roughed up. Jeez. And he did his job quite well last season with the club.

Who cares about Kilger, seriously.

Old
07-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

Can't believe what? That this team painfully needed an enforcer and we got one of the better fighters in Belak? I don't understand what you're trying to say. You don't get it? Um...OK! I don't get most of what the Leafs do, either, so I guess we've got two confusing teams...?

Hitting isn't checking? While you've obviously got the poke, stick, sweep, lift, press, etc. check, you've obviously got the hip or body check as well. Soooo, yes, hitting is a form of checking.

07-27-2008, 04:54 AM
Tuco

Quote:

Still can't believe it took Martin so long to acquire an enforcer. But I think he chose well. We need relaxed guys to create a looser atmosphere in the locker room, which Belak supposedly should be good at. Not just for the intimidating presence on the ice.

Old
07-27-2008, 08:40 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Still can't believe it took Martin so long to acquire an enforcer. But I think he chose well. We need relaxed guys to create a looser atmosphere in the locker room, which Belak supposedly should be good at. Not just for the intimidating presence on the ice.
Although it frustrated me that it took so long to acquire an enforcer, I'm very pleased that he brought in Belak. Well worth the wait.

As for Kilger, I just wish they'd force him to make a decision now rather than later. This way, there is no lingering about his role here. The less question marks surrounding this team, the better.

Old
08-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Montsy14

Kilger is not expected to play this season as his personal issues are still unresolved....

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...-surprise.html

Old
08-05-2008, 06:54 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Kilger is not expected to play this season as his personal issues are still unresolved....

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...-surprise.html
Wishing we had kept that 3rd rounder at this point...

Old
08-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Wishing we had kept that 3rd rounder at this point...
We all do.

Quote:
Kilger never reported to the Panthers despite being with the Leafs in Fort Lauderdale
This quote, though, makes it obvious that for all Martin likely knew was that he was back and ready to go. He was there, ready to play. I'm guessing things were well enough for him to play for the Leafs, but moving away to Sunrise would have put too much of a strain.

Last edited by Laus723: 08-05-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old
08-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Still not a definite answer so I still have hope. I wanna see what he can do. Like I've said before, I already know what Pelts and Dvorak can do, why not see something new. It certainly seems like he'd fit well into Pete's forechecking system. C'mon Chad, come back to play the best sport in the world.

-ghoste

Old
08-05-2008, 08:54 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Still not a definite answer so I still have hope. I wanna see what he can do. Like I've said before, I already know what Pelts and Dvorak can do, why not see something new. It certainly seems like he'd fit well into Pete's forechecking system. C'mon Chad, come back to play the best sport in the world.

-ghoste
Sounds pretty definite he won't be back this season.

Old
08-05-2008, 09:49 PM
39ontheline

Great trade...........

Old
08-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39ontheline View Post
Great trade...........
Yeah, unfortunately Martin wasn't told the whole story.

Old
08-05-2008, 10:08 PM
39ontheline

Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately Martin wasn't told the whole story.
And by that you mean he shockingly didnt do his job? His trade, his fault. Now he has to wear it.

Old
08-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
And by that you mean he shockingly didnt do his job? His trade, his fault. Now he has to wear it.
No, by that I mean that Kilger had already rejoined the Leafs, was in town to play, and Martin was given info by someone he trusted in Nieuwy. Kilger was ready to go, noone knew this would happen.

That's what I mean!

Old
08-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Madhatter73

It's a 3rd rounder... It's not the end of the world...

Was worth the risk...

Old
08-05-2008, 10:45 PM
39ontheline

Quote:
No, by that I mean that Kilger had already rejoined the Leafs, was in town to play, and Martin was given info by someone he trusted in Nieuwy. Kilger was ready to go, noone knew this would happen.

That's what I mean!
And by that you mean he didnt do his job. Nobody else in the NHL screwed up like this. Who trades for a guy who takes a leave during the season? Honestly.

Last edited by Heimy: 08-06-2008 at 12:04 AM. Reason: flaming
Old
08-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Montsy14

Quote:
And by that you mean he didnt do his job. Nobody else in the NHL screwed up like this. Who trades for a guy who takes a leave during the season? Honestly.
Yeah and then he returned to the leafs, which would have made me think that the problems were solved too, I would have done the same thing. Was not a horrible trade, he got him in the dying minutes of the deadline and was probably told he was ready to go, what do you expect from JM, he's not able to see into the future.

What do you think happened - Martin knew he wouldn't report and he made the trade anyway? He's made some questionable moves, but he's not an infant.

Last edited by Heimy: 08-06-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Closed Thread