Sutter interview on the fan 960

Old
07-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Cactus Jack

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Sutter interview on the fan 960

Highlights:
- Said it was the right time to take the team in a younger direction because guys like Iggy and Regehr are experienced enough to be the vets to replace guys like Friesen, McCarty, etc.
- Said we needed to get younger and bigger on the wings
- Said Kyle Greentree will get a chance to bring his crease-crashing, traffic play to the flames this year because he's put up decent numbers in the AHL and deserves the shot because he wants to be here.
- Bourque and Nystrom can play either wing
- Still negociating with Nolan and said something is still likely but that anything more than a one year deal won't work for the Flames.
- Said he may want to try and reclaim another 2nd round pick.
- For the 3 players that were placed on waivers, he said he will look into possibly trading them, placing them on waivers later this summer or seeing if they make the team come training camp. Keeping them would take a spot away from a young player and he would rather leave those options open.
- May consider taking Bourque to arbitration to open up buy out possibilities later this year if they want.
- Said Prust needs to have a horrendous camp to not make the Flames. He will be on the team according to Sutter.
- Daniel Ryder is coming to development camp and said he has clear in his mind what he wants to do. He wants to pursue a professional hockey career again.
- Sutter is looking forward to Backlund coming to camp to see how he has developed. He said he likes his "Swedish kids." (What other high rankings Swedish prospects do we have?)
- Offered Godard a one year deal but didn't want to committ any more to that with Van der Meer and Prust in the lineup. Said he couldn't justify a long term commitment to a 4 minute player.
- Said he didn't necessarily abandon the goon role but said it can always be addressed later in the year with callups. He said it is tough to have that player take up a spot on your team every game in today's NHL.
- Said John Negrin has a legitimate shot of playing in the NHL this year. (WOW!)
- Said that he's proud of Aulie and Nemisz getting invites to Canada's WJ team camp.
- No changes to assistant coaches in the NHL or the AHL.
- Said if things don't work out with Nolan he'd look for a "similar type of player."
- Wants to further fortify his AHL roster

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Eradicator

great summary, thank you!

regarding the Swedes other than Backlund, Tod Button said they wanted to sign Per Jonsson, but the uncertainty of the expired IIHF agreement made them wait; they also just drafte Alex Deilert whom Button put in the same mold as Jonsson

Eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Pardy Time

Two interesting comments I noticed. First, Negrin having a shot at playing in the NHL this season. That's nuts, he's really developed over the past year. I still don't see it happening though. We have a logjam on defense with Phaneuf, Regehr, Sarich, Aucoin, Giordano and Vandermeer... no room for Negrin unless Vandermeer plays forward. It wouldn't make sense to have him as the #7 guy and hault his development.

The second one was the Nolan comment, "- Said if things don't work out with Nolan he'd look for a "similar type of player."" - Similar type of player? Dare I say it? Todd Bertuzzi....

Pardy Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:33 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
- May consider taking Bourque to arbitration to open up buy out possibilities later this year if they want.
- Said Prust needs to have a horrendous camp to not make the Flames. He will be on the team according to Sutter.
- Daniel Ryder is coming to development camp and said he has clear in his mind what he wants to do. He wants to pursue a professional hockey career again.
- Said John Negrin has a legitimate shot of playing in the NHL this year.
All of the above is brilliant. And the comment on Prust is the best thing I've heard all year

Thanks for posting that summary.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:58 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Wow, lots of good stuff there.

I'm glad to hear Ryder has decided to come back to hockey.

Very surprised to hear that Negrin has legitimate shot of playing in the NHL this year. Wasn't expecting that.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Qubax

Yah I was coming on to post the Negrin thing. That is awesome. I love Negrin, and I know that Sutter is REALLY high on him. He may not make the team this year, but a cup of coffee would be cool and he can be an impact with QC...

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:52 PM
abracanada

Exceptional write up. Thanks for that Cactus.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:20 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Thanks for the writeup Cactus.

Definetly some interesting comments from Sutter. Can't wait for the prospects camp this month.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Hyde

Great writeup. For anyone who wants to hear the interview:

http://www.fan960.com/ondemand/media...02_163627_4316

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:41 PM
abracanada

Something I found interesting was the concept of players like Iggy and Regehr bringing along young players now.

The year of the cup run, there were a lot of veterans mentoring young stars like Iginla and Regehr. Guys like Gelinas who played his heart out, and would not say die. Nilsson had a great playoff series. Conroy was at his peak. Warrener was another one. Yelle played great. Donovan was phenominal. They gave it their all. We have a lot to thank those guys for.

Now, the guys doing the mentoring, are a lot more talented. Overall, this team has made steps forward when it comes to personnel and they outgrew the old guard. This team definitely looks much much stronger than the one that thrilled us in 04.

I also noticed Sutter mentioned 5 of the defenders were on the upswing. I took that to mean he felt Aucoin was on the downslide. Maybe so but I hope he proves him wrong.

The room is going to be re energized. High tempo speedsters who are aggressive should change the face of this team. Glencross, Bourque, Greentree and Prust all bring energy and aggressiveness. They will also challenge eachother to bring everything they've got. (I can picture a pretty rough training camp coming up).

For those who question Keenan and what he brings to this organization, I believe you are getting a taste of it now.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote