Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fan590: Dallas signs Avery

Old
07-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Happy Girl

vCash: 500
It will be interesting to see how he does in Dallas. I think it's a good set up for him, not as many distractions as in LA and not the same amount of media hype as in NY. I think that the fans will warm up to him once they see how hard he works. Honestly, I've thought the Stars have lacked grit and grinders since about 2002. Avery could be a great addition. Either way, he and Hull will either wind up best of friends by the time he's hung up his Stars sweater or they will kill each other.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:50 PM
texascrazy horse

so where does this leave our other young scrappy player(s) like crombeen and clune? I am guessing that crombeen might be left out now as seeing avery and ott play the same role. And this leaves clune way out. i guess im wondering more on crombeen since he just resigned???

texascrazy horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:55 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascrazy horse View Post
so where does this leave our other young scrappy player(s) like crombeen and clune? I am guessing that crombeen might be left out now as seeing avery and ott play the same role. And this leaves clune way out. i guess im wondering more on crombeen since he just resigned???
Crombeen is a 4th line player. They don't play the same rolls.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:01 PM
BigG44

Well, the shock has worn off. The only thing that seems negative to me is the value of the contract. I drank the Koolaid when HullJackson said that Daley was signed to a larger contract because of his potential. This one, not so much.

As large as the contract is, I think it could cause some interesting negotiations with Ott in 2 years.

Ignoring the contract, Avery probably will become a fan favorite. If you asked me about Avery 3 days ago, I would have said he was a D bag. If Ott wasn't a Star, I'd probably say the same about him. I'm just looking forward to the season, and I hope that he grows on Stars fans like he did the Rangers. It was a bold move by the 2 headed GM monster. I hope it pays off.

Old
07-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Nicholls9

Send a message via AIM to Nicholls9
I'm a fan of Avery and the LA Kings (and there are many more). While it was easy to make Avery the scapegoat while in LA, we really haven't seen an improvement since he left, so I doubt he was the problem.

Avery doesn't only knock people off their game, he also has the capability to score and make some nice passes. And on the nights that the team is off their game, Avery is out there trying to make things happen.

Good luck to Sean in Dallas. Dallas just became tougher to play against.

Nicholls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:10 PM
catters078

the more i read about avery in our line up the more i like it...

Think about it...dallas already has alot of skillful players especially now with richards...its on ribeiro, richards, morrow, lehtinen, modano, zubov and erikson to put the majority of scores on the board

one thing though we have realied on though is Ott and Morrow to be our physical presence for too long now on their own...i know weve added buys like barch winchester and fedoruk over the past years and they do try to agitate well, but theyre useless offensively

but, avery is the best at it and can score, lets say avery plays 2nd line with richards...

then every line change a dallas opponent will see either morrow, avery or ott, they dont get any let ups...

we were at our most competitive against detroit last year when we were in their face, guys like lidstrom rafalski and those type of guys were starting to look over their shoulder chasing pucks when morrow and ott were on the ice which messed with their otherwise flawless passing...we got in their heads and they made mistakes...

we now have a chance to one of the most intimidating teams in the conference which takes opposition focus of our play makers and will give us scoring oppurtunites...throw in the fact that avery could score 20 goals if he can click with say richards or mo..

so all of a sudden we deep with skill, but also deep with toughness (and lets not forget how stingy our defense is)...we have alot of options and weapons...look out red wings!!

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 09:16 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Good signing for the Stars, he's worth it.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:02 PM
texascrazy horse

deep toughness... we dont have the dj king, eric goddard or boogy tho.... it was be nice to see some old downs style heavyweight fights but barch is entertaining....

texascrazy horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:16 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissmith View Post
Do you reckon they might try Modano on Richards wing again to start the season? that'd leave Avery and Ott on the checking line with Lundqvist.
That's just scary, wouldn't want to be the opponent against them.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 10:43 PM
dallas stars 1999

Not sure I like or understand this signing. First, we already have Steve Ott, so that role has already been filled. Second, Hull can sign Avery to a 4yr 16m contract, but he cannot sign Ryder to a similar contract. Ryder would have helped us out with more goal scoring. Oh well here's hoping Avery can help us in both the regular season and the playoffs.

dallas stars 1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:14 PM
broadwayblue

Another Rangers fan here...just want to say I'll certainly miss him. The guy will become a fan favorite. IMO he's the best 3rd liner in the league. While he's never scored 20 goals, he brings a ton of intangibles and gives 100% every shift. Hopefully he will stay healthy, as he does get banged up a bit. I wish we could have re-signed him, but the NHL is a business and I can't fault the guy for taking his payday.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:23 PM
catters078

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas stars 1999 View Post
Not sure I like or understand this signing. First, we already have Steve Ott, so that role has already been filled. Second, Hull can sign Avery to a 4yr 16m contract, but he cannot sign Ryder to a similar contract. Ryder would have helped us out with more goal scoring. Oh well here's hoping Avery can help us in both the regular season and the playoffs.
we already have scorers..but we rely too hevily on ott and morrow to do all the heavy work, i think avery gives us a good blend now...

scorers

ribeiro
morrow
lehtinen
richards
erikkson
modano
zubov
brunstorm

agiatators/tough guys

avery
ott
morrow
brach when he plays

throw in the fact that avery can and will score 15+, we definately have enough guys who can score...now we have a new style of toughness and opposing goaltenders are going to have a tough time seeing the puck with avery/morrow/ott in their face all night, we now have severeal differnt ways to score...

im starting to really grow to it.

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:31 PM
In The Flesh

Stars def. have a new fan in me, Lost for words I'm so pissed the Rangers didn't resign him. You guys will love him.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Caseman

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but when/will there be a press conference for the signing?

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 11:57 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but when/will there be a press conference for the signing?
I'm more looking forward to when/if Morrow makes a comment.

Old
07-03-2008, 12:15 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
You guys are going to absolutely love him in Dallas. I couldn't stand him before he came to the Rangers, but he won me over very quickly. I think you'll feel the same way.

Between him and Joel Lundqvist, I'll be pulling for you guys next year. Good luck!

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 02:14 AM
Captain Awesome

I wonder how Steve Ott feels about this, he probably hates Avery a lot himself.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Sony Eriksson*

During the 1310 the Ticket "Ticket Ticker" they had an audio clip of Avery saying he is looking forward to coming to Dallas and joining an already established Stanley Cup contender. He cant wait to play with Morrow, Ott, Modano, Richards, Ribeiro and others.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Ruutu15

well at least playing against Tootoo will be a lot more volatile

Ruutu15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:18 AM
aisforaaron83

I just hope that Morrow and Ott, specifically, can bury the hatchet with him before training camp and all of that. as they say on the ticket Brenden Morrow = William Wallace and I think Morrow may just destroy Avery if necessary. good times

I will tell you one thing. I absolutely cannot wait to see what kind of destruction ott and avery can create if they play on the same line. oh, awesome.

I do think that we need to shed a little salary. Boucher seems likely to me. how about another good prospect for him? a pick? something that does not have salary coming back unless it is minimal.

how about Boucher for Zetterberg. i hear that they tire of him in Detroit.

aisforaaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:19 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

well I am not to pleased with this signing. I think he will do fine here but I don't think he will be good in the locker room and the price is a little high for what he is

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruutu15 View Post
well at least playing against Tootoo will be a lot more volatile
I cant wait to see Avery/Tucker

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Dave Karp

Well, this is the 2nd time this has happened to me. When he was in the OHL playing for the Owen Sound Platers, I couldn't stand him. Ironically, reminded me of a young Ott, minus the offensive abilities Ott had (in the OHL, not so much now.) Anyways, he was then traded to my hometown team, the Frontenacs, and I thoroughly enjoyed his style. In my opinion he's worth more than a Ryder, and Huselius. He does a lot of things that won't show up on the boxscore, while those guys are either on the score sheet or were invisible during the game.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Sockosensei

Now the Stars have two of my favorite ex-Rangers, and the brother of my current favorite. Guess I have a new favorite team in the west.

People only look at Avery's agitation, but forget that the reason you can't completely ignore him is that he's got some offensive skills!

With the Rangers, regular season:
86 games, 23 goals, 30 assists, 212 PIM

Playoffs
18 games, 5 goals, 7 assists, 33 PIM

The other thing he brings is there were so many games where the team was dragging, and he just woke us up. We're going to miss him.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 03:07 PM
nyrangers23

its only been one day but i still cant believe hes not with us this yr. he wil be missed and you guys will hopefully chant his name as oud as we did at the garden

nyrangers23 is offline   Reply With Quote