HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sundin not going to decide this week

Old
07-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
What annoys me is all of you who think that a man who has given his all on the ice for many years has to decide instantly about his next career move, just to please some NHL2008 geeks on a message board. He has every right to wait till January if he wants. He's earned that right.
Of course he has. It just would have been nice for him let those who were interested know before July 2nd. He obviously knew he would be taking his time, so why not let that be known before saying you have to sleep on the offers?

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Vintage93

I really don't know why Vancouver fans got so worked up. J.P. Barry pretty much "hinted" that Sundin would be back in Toronto... maybe they all missed it while they were penciling in the Naslund - Sundin - Demitra line.

Vintage93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Longshot

No wonder the Leafs couldn't get a deal done for him at the trade deadline. They should have asked him in training camp to waive his no trade clause. Maybe that would have given him the time he needed to make up his mind.

Most people are missing the bigger picture on this. Sundin is loath to go any city where he will face pressure to perform. In Toronto he had it easy. Put a point a game up every year and you're a hockey God and hailed as a Hall of Famer. He had a relaxed lifestyle here. There were virtually no expectations on him. He got a lot of summers off and made big dollars.

He vetoed a trade last season not because of some solemn desire to remain with the Leafs, but because he didn't want to be parachuted into a situation where he was expected to play the role of "the missing championship link."

Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:23 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Sundin and his drama queen act is getting pretty old.
Why the hell does he have to fit anyone's time schedule but his own? He's not willing to rush a decision--and that makes him a drama queen? He probably just passed up 20 milliion--anybody willing to do that gets to take all the time he wants or needs in my book.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Nacho
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
FAN 590 says that it won't be this week that he makes a decision.

Like I've said...he's this year's Peter Forsberg. It will probably be August until we hear something from him.
I didn't know Sundin was coming back from footsurgery...

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Clock

vCash: 50
So we've got Niedermayer, Forsberg, and now Sundin. One more old dramatic player and the NHL Golden Girls will be complete.

Seriously Sundin... just **** or get off the pot already.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Sundin did not ask for his negotiating rights to be given to Montreal. He never asked Vancouver to make him such a big offer. He/his agent have said all along that they will not rush things and that he is still deciding. From all I've heard, he has told everyone that he will be taking his time. I understand some of the frustration from fans because he's a wanted man, but c'mon, he can do whatever he likes. If he is indeed waiting to drive the price up in T.O. or elsewhere, more power to him. It's not like the the clubs haven't jerked players around.
Then where does this 'sleep on it' business come from? Again, he's a free agent indebted to no one, he can do whatever he pleases, but you can't tell me that Sundin made it clear yesterday afternoon that he was going to take more than a week to decide.

Old
07-02-2008, 03:50 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
No wonder the Leafs couldn't get a deal done for him at the trade deadline. They should have asked him in training camp to waive his no trade clause. Maybe that would have given him the time he needed to make up his mind.

Most people are missing the bigger picture on this. Sundin is loath to go any city where he will face pressure to perform. In Toronto he had it easy. Put a point a game up every year and you're a hockey God and hailed as a Hall of Famer. He had a relaxed lifestyle here. There were virtually no expectations on him. He got a lot of summers off and made big dollars.

He vetoed a trade last season not because of some solemn desire to remain with the Leafs, but because he didn't want to be parachuted into a situation where he was expected to play the role of "the missing championship link."
Sounds relativly easy wouldn't you agree.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Did he have to? Anyway I've made my case. People have every right to their opinions, obviously. He's still "The Man". Good luck to him. If he needs help counting his money I'm available.
Again, no. He also didn't have to say that he'd sleep on it, but he did.

Old
07-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

Forsberg-Sundin-Hejduk

No in all honesty i hope he don't come to the avs inless sakic retires

Landeskog The Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:26 PM
BrentZ10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Of course he has. It just would have been nice for him let those who were interested know before July 2nd. He obviously knew he would be taking his time, so why not let that be known before saying you have to sleep on the offers?
How do you know he didn't? He can't even talk to any other team then those that the Leafs gave permission to anyways due to tampering. So for all the Canucks fans whining out there, get over it. They put in an offer YESTERDAY. Sorry this isn't a video game where you can sim up to the day a decision is made. It's real life.

BrentZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
Sedin Sedin Pyatt
Isbister Demitra Pettinger
Burrows Kesler Hansen
Brown Rypien Brunnstrom

Callups: Raymond, Shannon, Grabner

Mitchell Bieksa
Ohlund Salo
Edler Baumgartner

Callups: McIver, Fitzgerald

Emo Luongo
Sanford

Intimidating lineup.
Brunnstrom is looking pretty good now, isn't he?

At least Nonis wouldn't have the 'old boys club' excuse to fall back on for lack of making a deal.

Mostly, I'm just sour because the Canucks are going to do something rash and stupid if we don't land Sundin, because the mandate is to 'make the playoffs' because the 'fans deserve better.'

Personally, I think Nonis' forwards roster would've looked something like this:

Sedin Sedin Ryder
Raymond Carter Hossa
Pettinger Kesler Burrows
Cowan / Who / Cares
Ex: Brunnstrom

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:36 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post

Sedin Sedin Ryder
Raymond Carter Hossa
Pettinger Kesler Burrows
Cowan / Who / Cares

Ridiculous. Just a ridiculous postulation. How the hell would Nonis have gotten Carter? He was never a free agent. Nonis would have paid more than $4M for Ryder? He would have magically convinced Hossa that Vancouver is better than Detroit?

Try harder, Flinch.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Macke*

Darren Dreger says Sundin won't decide on if he'll play until August and that his agent was pushing him HARD to sign today.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 05:39 PM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentZ10 View Post
How do you know he didn't? He can't even talk to any other team then those that the Leafs gave permission to anyways due to tampering. So for all the Canucks fans whining out there, get over it. They put in an offer YESTERDAY. Sorry this isn't a video game where you can sim up to the day a decision is made. It's real life.
What? You've got a cross section of the entire league complaining about Sundin's actions in this thread, including several Leaf fans, but you blame it all on Canuck fans?

Well, that seems reasonable doesn't it.

As for Sundin, clearly when you have that kind of market power it is well within your right to use it.

It's also pretty obvious that hockey fans around the league don't have to like it for a lot of the reasons brought up in this thread, as ultimately, it is the fans that generate the huge amounts of revenue that make Sundin's job and lifestyle possible.

Ignoring that is clearly suggesting that the fans don't really matter. Much in the same way a player who won't deal with the public in any manner (signing autographs, interviews, etc), rubs fans the wrong way.

It's not actually wrong, but it is rather disrespectful.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Clock

Quote:
He's got the power and is holding all the cards, whether you like it or not. This is not the 1950's anymore.
I implied otherwise?

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:28 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post
Darren Dreger says Sundin won't decide on if he'll play until August and that his agent was pushing him HARD to sign today.
Sundin has no need to hurry if his intention is to go to Toronto. But if he wants to go to a team that's not rebuilding, well, it's pretty obvious doors will close if he waits... and he might get stuck playing with Toronto (and IMHO, Toronto shouldn't sign him).

I'm really curious to see what Montreal does now to be honest. They don't have any holes to fill, they could use an offensive center and that's it, and I'm not sure they're impressed with the remaining UFAs. I wonder if Gainey isn't willing to wait him out.

I'm not sure Vancouver can afford to do that though.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:38 PM
MG91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Sundin has no need to hurry if his intention is to go to Toronto. But if he wants to go to a team that's not rebuilding, well, it's pretty obvious doors will close if he waits... and he might get stuck playing with Toronto (and IMHO, Toronto shouldn't sign him).

I'm really curious to see what Montreal does now to be honest. They don't have any holes to fill, they could use an offensive center and that's it, and I'm not sure they're impressed with the remaining UFAs. I wonder if Gainey isn't willing to wait him out.

I'm not sure Vancouver can afford to do that though.
Have you seen our roster right now. We need to do something.

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Brunnstrom is looking pretty good now, isn't he?

At least Nonis wouldn't have the 'old boys club' excuse to fall back on for lack of making a deal.

Mostly, I'm just sour because the Canucks are going to do something rash and stupid if we don't land Sundin, because the mandate is to 'make the playoffs' because the 'fans deserve better.'

Sedin Sedin Ryder
Raymond Carter Hossa
Pettinger Kesler Burrows
Cowan / Who / Cares
Lol the same nonis that did jack for 3 years, with the luongo trade being the only thing he did. So nonis is going to offer ryder more than 4 mill? He's going to sign carter to a contract even though philly signed him before he could receive offer sheets? And hossa is going to choose us over detroit?

This is why I think 95% of canucks fans are ******** cause now they're all acting like the sky is falling and want to blow up the team. This city is full of damn bandwagon fans.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:45 PM
YoungJagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Sundin and his drama queen act is getting pretty old.
Circle gets the square. If he's going to play, play, if not, shut the **** up. Stop talking to teams and taking offers then backing out at the last minute. At least forsberg was always upfront with his situation.

There is nothing out there for the canucks in terms of a centerpiece now. They should just pick up demitra and bertuzzi, which will still leave them with enough cap space for sundin, and hope for the best. There is no point in wasting the whole 10 mil on second and third rate leftovers.

Naslund won't come back without a guaranteed sundin to play with, and pittsburgh should really be looking to him now that hossa has turned them down. It will depend on whether they can land jagr (who for sure won't play in vancouver).

YoungJagr is offline   Reply With Quote