HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sundin to Montreal Offseason Rumors Part 5 (Mats is at sushi festival in Sweden)

View Poll Results: What type of Sushi is Mats Consuming?
Nigiri-sushi - Slices of fish or other items on pads of rice 20 15.75%
Maki-sushi - Rolled sushi 38 29.92%
Inari-sushi - With ingredients stuffed into a small pouch of fried bean curd (tofu) 12 9.45%
Chirashi-sushi - Fish and other items served on top of a bowl of vinegared sushi rice 14 11.02%
Sashimi - Sliced fish that is served with a bowl of regular boiled rice on the side 43 33.86%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Cyrrus147

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
That's funny, my sex life ceases to exist when I shut down my computer.

You should put that in your signature !

Old
07-09-2008, 06:28 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
I said this before...if he does sign in Vancouver, he's not the type of player we wanted anyways.
I would agree with this sentiment.

Him signing in Vancouver means he doesn't give a damn about winning. This would make little sense for both sides. For Sundin, it's unclear why he thinks Vancouver would be a good place to sign for a guy who's never won, but it's also unclear why Vancouver, with the current state of their club would think Sundin, at $10 million, is a good call.

Puzzling on both ends.

Kind of reeks of the Messier signing all over again.

Old
07-09-2008, 06:33 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Martin McGuire, Habs play by play man for CKAC, was at the development camp today. He talked with Gainey a bit and he reported that his sources inside the Habs org have told him:

- Habs organization is still confident they can land Sundin. No regrets with getting Sundin's rights at the draft and getting the chance to speak with him early. They are happy they did it.

- They obviously are happy several teams (ie NYR and DET) are out of the race having spent their $ elsewhere. Lots of options for Sundin have been closed.

- Habs always knew it would be a long process, that it would take weeks and not days for Sundin to make a decision. Interesting.

The clips is on CKAC.com if you want to hear it, in the Gorges re-signing story.
Thanks Marc.

However, none of that tells me that Mats is closer to MTL than Van City ...

Old
07-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Le Slow Poke*

Matts has no reason to sign here save a TON of money.

BG - will not do that even if it means his 5 year plan is a bust...

I were BG I would put all the pressure on Lattentresse while saying " Look, you know you're here because of your name and nationality and I'm ok with that, but we have given you every chance to succeed and you still fail on all fronts. If we put you on top line minutes with top line PP lines... can you do better than last year's total?'

LMAO

Old
07-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Him signing in Vancouver means he doesn't give a damn about winning.
Disagree completely. However, him signing with the leafs rival habs is even worse and would tarnish his legacy in toronto. If he signs with the habs, I wouldn't want someone with such little class and character anyways. It would mean he doesn't give a damn about character and is just trying to stick it to Toronto. Believe it or not, but some athletes still have some class and I believe mats to be one of those people.

Old
07-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Slow Poke View Post

I were BG I would put all the pressure on Lattentresse while saying " Look, you know you're here because of your name and nationality and I'm ok with that, but we have given you every chance to succeed and you still fail on all fronts. If we put you on top line minutes with top line PP lines... can you do better than last year's total?'

LMAO
Does someone pay you to make such stupid comments?

Old
07-09-2008, 06:45 PM
tollb2

Quote:
That's funny, my sex life ceases to exist when I shut down my computer.

Wow ! .. That .... was amazing !

Old
07-09-2008, 06:47 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Disagree completely. However, him signing with the leafs rival habs is even worse and would tarnish his legacy in toronto. If he signs with the habs, I wouldn't want someone with such little class and character anyways. It would mean he doesn't give a damn about character and is just trying to stick it to Toronto. Believe it or not, but some athletes still have some class and I believe mats to be one of those people.
What rival? Ohhh, like the 1967 Stanley Cup finals? Yeah, I'm sure Sundin wouldn't want to piss off Terry Sawchuk.

The Leafs closest rival right now is the Islanders for a drafting position for Tavaras.

Old
07-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:

LMAO
with posts like this i expect you to be placed on several ignore list in no time.

Old
07-09-2008, 06:49 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Right.

Just like Curtis Joseph tarnished his Toronto legacy by signing with Detroit for a chance to win.

Then they welcomed him back with open arms.

Sundin signing in Montreal wouldn't be about "sticking it to Toronto" it would be about joining the first place team in the Eastern Confrence, a club on the upswing with a lot of young, developing talent and a team in need of a big, skilled center. Montreal, with Sundin in the lineup, would be a serious contender for the Stanley Cup.

Coming here would have zero to do with Toronto Maple Leafs. The Leafs, when they tried to trade him, then embarass him at the deadline instead of having a PRIVATE conversation with him about his wishes are the only people that have shown a lack of class and character.

What I don't get is why, as a Canucks fan, you would welcome this signing. Even with Sundin, the Canucks are still also-rans in the West, why waste the money and cap space?

Old
07-09-2008, 06:50 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Thanks Marc.

However, none of that tells me that Mats is closer to MTL than Van City ...
Poutine.

Ahhh ****...I would think vancouver has the better sushi....

Old
07-09-2008, 06:50 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
I would agree with this sentiment.

Him signing in Vancouver means he doesn't give a damn about winning. This would make little sense for both sides. For Sundin, it's unclear why he thinks Vancouver would be a good place to sign for a guy who's never won, but it's also unclear why Vancouver, with the current state of their club would think Sundin, at $10 million, is a good call.

Puzzling on both ends.

Kind of reeks of the Messier signing all over again.
Could be simply to drum up ratings on a franchise that has fizzled in the past two seasons...

Are you speculating anything in regards to this or is it same old, same old?

Old
07-09-2008, 06:52 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:

LMAO
How is this relevant to anything discussed

LMAO indeed

Last edited by GoneAway: 07-09-2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: typo

Old
07-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Right.

Just like Curtis Joseph tarnished his Toronto legacy by signing with Detroit for a chance to win.

Sundin signing in Montreal wouldn't be about "sticking it to Toronto" it would be about joining the first place team in the Eastern Confrence, a club on the upswing with a lot of young, developing talent and a team in need of a big, skilled center. Montreal, with Sundin in the lineup, would be a serious contender for the Stanley Cup.

Coming here would have zero to do with Toronto Maple Leafs. The Leafs, when they tried to trade him, then embarass him at the deadline instead of having a PRIVATE conversation with him about his wishes are the only people that have shown a lack of class and character.

What I don't get is why, as a Canucks fan, you would welcome this signing. Even with Sundin, the Canucks are still also-rans in the West, why waste the money and cap space?
Ferrix, I would also add that him not going back to Toronto, whether it be retirement montreal or Vancouver, would have everything to do with how Toronto treated him. First step, decides to not go back because of what they did, second step he chooses what he wants to do and it would have nothing to do with his departure from Toronto..

This guy is gold, as if Sundin would only come to Montreal to stick it to TO. Nevermind the great team, good management, class of the organization, respectable travel schedule, chance to win the cup, closeness to his business interests...

Old
07-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Vector

Quote:
What rival? Ohhh, like the 1967 Stanley Cup finals? Yeah, I'm sure Sundin wouldn't want to piss off Terry Sawchuk.

The Leafs closest rival right now is the Islanders for a drafting position for Tavaras.
Quote:
Right.

You guys kind of missed the point of Rover's post.

Old
07-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
How is this relavant to anything discussed

LMAO indeed
Relevanve is the last word in his vocabulary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
You guys kind of missed the point of Rover's post.
Yeah, we totally missed the part where he said "If he signs with the habs... It would mean he doesn't give a damn about character and is just trying to stick it to Toronto.

As if Sundin would sign with Montreal for that reason. Go read my preivous post, you will get the jist of what I'm saying.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-09-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old
07-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Rover*

Quote:
What I don't get is why as a habs fan you think the canucks are so bad and the habs so superior to the canucks? Yeah the habs won the east last year thanks to the pens tanking the last game of the season, but they also missed the playoffs the year before. That year the canucks finished 3rd in the west with 105 points, which is more than the 104 points the habs finished with last year. In the new nhl, things change every year and if it wasn't for an injury plagued year last year, the canucks would have made the playoffs. If the canucks gets sundin, this team team is better than the one that won the division two years ago.

Old
07-09-2008, 07:01 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
What I don't get is why as a habs fan you think the canucks are so bad and so superior to the canucks? Yeah the habs won the east last year thanks to the pens tanking the last game of the season, but they also missed the playoffs the year before. That year the canucks finished 3rd in the west with 105 points, which is more than the 104 points the habs finished with last year. In the new nhl, things change every year and if it wasn't for an injury plagued year last year, the canucks would have made the playoffs. If the canucks gets sundin, this team team is better than the one that won the division two years ago.
I think depth is the issue here.

Regardless, its a moot point. We'll say we're better; you'll say you're better.

No point arguing this

Old
07-09-2008, 07:02 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
What I don't get is why as a habs fan you think the canucks are so bad and so superior to the canucks? Yeah the habs won the east last year thanks to the pens tanking the last game of the season, but they also missed the playoffs the year before. That year the canucks finished 3rd in the west with 105 points, which is more than the 104 points the habs finished with last year. In the new nhl, things change every year and if it wasn't for an injury plagued year last year, the canucks would have made the playoffs. If the canucks gets sundin, this team team is better than the one that won the division two years ago.
Habs are on the rise and Sundin would put us over the top, in the East at least. Canucks are not a playoff team without Sundin. With him, they are but hardly champion caliber. And it's not just Habs fans saying this, anyone who knows what they're talking about would agree.

Old
07-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Capitano

Quote:
What I don't get is why as a habs fan you think the canucks are so bad and the habs so superior to the canucks? Yeah the habs won the east last year thanks to the pens tanking the last game of the season, but they also missed the playoffs the year before. That year the canucks finished 3rd in the west with 105 points, which is more than the 104 points the habs finished with last year. In the new nhl, things change every year and if it wasn't for an injury plagued year last year, the canucks would have made the playoffs. If the canucks gets sundin, this team team is better than the one that won the division two years ago.
No question Vancouver would be a much improved team with Sundin, but they would still be punching bags for Detroit, San Jose, Anaheim, and Dallas.

Old
07-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

I really hate posting on other teams boards, especially under circumstances like this, but you guys need a little insight on the Canucks. Two season ago, the Canucks had a season similar to the one the Canadiens had last year (105 points / 2nd round exit) with pretty much the exact same line-up they'll be icing this year minus Morrison and Naslund. The only difference between our 88 point, and 105 point seasons was injuries to a couple of our top 4 defenseman, and a serious inconsistency in Luongo's play hopefully stemming from some off-ice issues with his pregnant wife (we don't know for sure, but assume he'll bounce back to form). Now, what's to say Price doesn't have a similar rough season to Luongo last year, Komisarek and Markov don't each get knocked out for 15-25 games at different periods, and all of a sudden the Canadiens are right back in 8th place? The Canucks will have the same defensive depth as their 105 point team, the same goaltending, and better bottom six forward depth going into this year. You add Sundin, and most likely Demitra, and you have a far superior team to the one who notched 105 points, and got knocked out by the eventual Stanley Cup Champions two years ago. Sure we could have injuries again, and maybe Luongo's regular level is the level he played at last year. We don't really know. Nor do you know whether Price will have a sophmore slump or what sort of injuries you might have. There is so much parity in the league these days it's really almost that arbitrary. You want to go back a year, and see how full of it a lot of Canucks fans were after our 105 point season? Sure came back down to Earth now though.

Old
07-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Rover*

Quote:
I think depth is the issue here.

Regardless, its a moot point. We'll say we're better; you'll say you're better.

No point arguing this
I never said the canucks were clearly better or anything. Just sick of everyone saying we're going to be in the tavares sweepstakes. I do wonder though if everyone would be singing the same tune if the canucks would have won the division last year which was very possible. With 2 weeks left in the season the canucks were still in the hunt for first in the division, but finished the year 3-7. If not for that brutal 10 games to end the year, we would have made the playoffs. So I do wonder if that happened would everyone still say we're going to finish like 14th in the west or something like that.

Another thing is that the canucks need a gamebreaker like sundin. Plus he can score in the shootout. You're probably not aware, but the canucks were atrocious in the shootout and if we didn't win in OT and the game went to a shootout, you can be sure the extra point was lost cause the only players who could score in a shootout on our team were linden and morrison.

Last edited by Rover*: 07-09-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old
07-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I really hate posting on other teams boards, especially under circumstances like this, but you guys need a little insight on the Canucks. Two season ago, the Canucks had a season similar to the one the Canadiens had last year (105 points / 2nd round exit) with pretty much the exact same line-up they'll be icing this year minus Morrison and Naslund. The only difference between our 88 point, and 105 point seasons was injuries to a couple of our top 4 defenseman, and a serious inconsistency in Luongo's play hopefully stemming from some off-ice issues with his pregnant wife (we don't know for sure, but assume he'll bounce back to form). Now, what's to say Price doesn't have a similar rough season to Luongo last year, Komisarek and Markov don't each get knocked out for 15-25 games at different periods, and all of a sudden the Canadiens are right back in 8th place? The Canucks will have the same defensive depth as their 105 point team, the same goaltending, and better bottom six forward depth going into this year. You add Sundin, and most likely Demitra, and you have a far superior team to the one who notched 105 points, and got knocked out by the eventual Stanley Cup Champions two years ago. Sure we could have injuries again, and maybe Luongo's regular level is the level he played at last year. We don't really know. Nor do you know whether Price will have a sophmore slump or what sort of injuries you might have. There is so much parity in the league these days it's really almost that arbitrary. You want to go back a year, and see how full of it a lot of Canucks fans were after our 105 point season? Sure came back down to Earth now though.
East is still weaker than the West any way you slice it.

Old
07-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Bermy

I think some people are underrating the Canucks here. They're a good defensive team with great goaltending. If they got Sundin (along with Demitra), their offense would improve a lot as well. If Demitra, Sundin and the Sedin twins stay healthy, the Canucks could (potentially) have 4 70+ point scorers

Old
07-09-2008, 07:09 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
I never said the canucks were clearly better or anything. Just sick of everyone saying we're going to be in the tavares sweepstakes. I do wonder though if everyone would be singing the same tune if the canucks would have won the division last year which was very possible. With 2 weeks left in the season the canucks were still in the hunt for first in the division, but finished the year 3-7. If not for that brutal 10 games to end the year, we would have made the playoffs. So I do wonder if that happened would everyone still say we're going to finish like 14th in the west or something like that.
And I alluded to the fact that you did.

I was pointing out that this topic will turn into a he said she said deal.

Myself, I do agree with you that the Canucks arent as in bad shape as some paint them to be...I just think that the Habs are closer to the cup

Closed Thread