HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bondra Going To Ottawa

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2004, 10:47 AM
YOUTH OF HABS

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
Bondra Going To Ottawa

crazy!!

TO OTTAWA : PETER BONDRA

TO WASHINGTON : BROOKS LAICH, 2005 SECONDS ROUND PICK

i guess there is no market in today's uncertain hockey future..
come BG go get something for dirt cheap!!!! i think we can part with a second round pick here and there...that seems to be all teams want

what are you waiting for ?

Old
02-18-2004, 10:58 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUTH OF HABS
crazy!!

come BG go get something for dirt cheap!!!! i think we can part with a second round pick here and there...that seems to be all teams want

Bondra is pretty much done. He may be able to help Ottawa this year, but Montreal will only be able to contend for the Cup in about three years. By then Bondra will probably have turned to dust. Gainey's shopping list is limited to guys who will still be able to help the team down the road. It would be counter-productive to waste assets on guys who won't be around when we'll need them the most. That 2nd rounder is worth more to the Habs than some old beat-up vet this year.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:00 AM
Jyroe Habs Fan

Quote:
crazy!!

Totally Agree,
BAD NEWS: we could of had bondra for a low level prospect like "Lambert" or
"Glenn" and a 2nd round pick.
GOOD NEWS:

Old
02-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Jyroe Habs Fan

Quote:
crazy!!

Totally Agree,
GOOD NEWS: the bar has been set low, Come on Bob and lets use some of our numerous prospects with Perrault and get deeper and better. Top 4 defenseman and Top 6 forward.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:03 AM
markov`

Hossa + 3rd pick vs Bondra > Laich + 2nd pick vs Bondra

What is Gainey waiting for? We trully need a top 6 forward who can score. It's time to move.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:23 AM
smnhppu

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
Hossa + 3rd pick vs Bondra > Laich + 2nd pick vs Bondra

What is Gainey waiting for? We trully need a top 6 forward who can score. It's time to move.
Bondra is a rental player, UFA at the end of the season... the last thing we want to do is throw away prospects to get a player who will no longer be here next year. We were never supposed to be contenders for this year. At the beginning of the season, most "experts" said Montreal was gonna be in the basement, now we're hovering around a playoff spot, and people are losing their nerve.

You get rental players when you are in a position to contend for the Cup. We are quite a few peices short of true contenders. Give our up and coming young guns time to flourish, then we'll get some rental players.

I, for one, don't think we need a trade. And I don't particularly want to trade away prospects. A few years back, Milbury traded Luongo away because he had a good prospect in Rick DiPietro, then they traded a young "underachieving" Todd Bertuzzi away. If we trade players before they really show us what they can do, we may end up seriously regretting it. I think we will be serious contenders (a force in the league) in 2 to 3 years.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:28 AM
romain_jaime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyroe Habs Fan
Totally Agree,
GOOD NEWS: the bar has been set low, Come on Bob and lets use some of our numerous prospects with Perrault and get deeper and better. Top 4 defenseman and Top 6 forward.
I don't agree, Bondra was sent to Ottawa for nothing because Bondra is due for a stanley cup and the Caps are just trying to save face with their fans by doing that makes them look like a classy team...

Sorry Washington, but that trick was already done by Boston with Bourque and Bondra ain't no Bourque !

Old
02-18-2004, 11:31 AM
smnhppu

As for Ottawa, they still haven't adressed their 2 major concerns: goalie and toughness.

SO I doubt this move will get them any further in the playoffs, and if that is the case, they definitely overpaid!!

Old
02-18-2004, 11:34 AM
Netro

Bondra - 36 years old -> Does not fit into long range plans.

There was no reason to get Bondra. Personally, the price was too steep and I am happy there was no trade. And I think it is great for Ottawa.

People need to relax. BG with stay the course and not let 4 games sway his long term plan.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:49 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Agreed, what would have been the point? we're not going anywhere this year so keep the prospects and let the Sens have Bondra and lose him in the summer.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:50 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by smnhppu
As for Ottawa, they still haven't adressed their 2 major concerns: goalie and toughness.

SO I doubt this move will get them any further in the playoffs, and if that is the case, they definitely overpaid!!

There probably not done. They still have assets that they can use to get toughness.

As for goaltending, common how can you say lalime cant do the job when hes been doning it for so many years it the playoffs. He will be just fine.

If Lalime does get back to form (and he will) and they add a couple of tucker, begin type players. LOOK OUT

Stanleys coming back to canada baby!

As for bondra coming to the habs. Im glad he didnt, he deserves to win a cup. This guy has an incredible personality, kinda like hacket!

Old
02-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Jyroe Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by romain_jaime
I don't agree, Bondra was sent to Ottawa for nothing because Bondra is due for a stanley cup and the Caps are just trying to save face with their fans by doing that makes them look like a classy team...

Sorry Washington, but that trick was already done by Boston with Bourque and Bondra ain't no Bourque !
I don't agree with you!! If you have been watching this habs lineup will NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS WITHOUTH OUR #1 DEFENSMAN. We need to make a trade to acquire help. I do not want Bob to sacrafice our future, BUT we have NUMEROUS mid level prospects that put with Perrault will get us what I previously asked for. We need to protect the following prospects:
Hainsey, Komo, Pleks, Balej, Higgs, Pero, Kats, Urqs and maybe? Hossa, the rest can be used to make trades happen to get us bigger and better. Remember folks we have 7 or 8 picks in first 6 rounds again in this upcoming draft that will replace who ever we trade. This organization CANNOT THROW AWAY THIS SEASON WITHOUT AN OVERALL EFFORT TO GET INTO THE PLAYOFFS. Playoff MONEY is very important to an Organizations bottom line. Gainey understands this better than anyone else.

Old
02-18-2004, 12:54 PM
Darz

Quote:
Bondra is a rental player, UFA at the end of the season.
Actually he has a team option next year and Ottawa has already said they are going to pick up that option.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:14 PM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Bondra is a rental player, UFA at the end of the season... the last thing we want to do is throw away prospects to get a player who will no longer be here next year. We were never supposed to be contenders for this year. At the beginning of the season, most "experts" said Montreal was gonna be in the basement, now we're hovering around a playoff spot, and people are losing their nerve.

You get rental players when you are in a position to contend for the Cup. We are quite a few peices short of true contenders. Give our up and coming young guns time to flourish, then we'll get some rental players.

I, for one, don't think we need a trade. And I don't particularly want to trade away prospects. A few years back, Milbury traded Luongo away because he had a good prospect in Rick DiPietro, then they traded a young "underachieving" Todd Bertuzzi away. If we trade players before they really show us what they can do, we may end up seriously regretting it. I think we will be serious contenders (a force in the league) in 2 to 3 years.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Sam I Am

Quote:

Exactly. The Habs with Bondra are still not a contending team. This is exacly the type of trade to avoid...

Old
02-18-2004, 04:21 PM
oli500

Bondra To Ottawa !

According to Rds the Ottawa senators acquire Peter Bondra for Brooks Laich and a 2nd rounder.

Man the habs could of used bondra on the sencond or first line. It would of been some much needed scoring help especialy for what Ottawa give up.

Old
02-18-2004, 04:23 PM
oli500

mods please close this thread. Dident realise we had one, sorry.

Old
02-18-2004, 04:27 PM
oli500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Agreed, what would have been the point? we're not going anywhere this year so keep the prospects and let the Sens have Bondra and lose him in the summer.
Ya but for what Ottawa give up,we could of done the same. He would aded a much needed scoring help on are first two lines aswell as the powerplay. Brooks Laich???? Realy who is he. We need help, Im not saying Bondra would of been an major improvement but he would off added some much needed scoring help right now.

Old
02-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Laich and a 2nd = Plekanec or Balej

would you have done that?

Old
02-19-2004, 12:10 AM
EaGLE1

I doubt the habs will make the playoffs this year anyway. Too many tough teams to face down the stretch. Those 4 losses in a row killled 'em. Everything is doing bad right now (PP, PK, goalie, defence, forwards...). Maybe we are not ready yet.

I don't want BG to waste prospects and picks for old mens like Peter Bondra, a rental. What BG should do is trading deadwood like Perrreault, Juneau (we can dream), Dackell before the season end. If we can get some late picks, it's better than nothing. Filling the holes with youth will be the thing to do next year.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500
Brooks Laich???? Realy who is he.
Laich has NHL'er written all over him. I have a feeling within two years you won't be asking this question again as he will be a fixture in Washington's lineup. He won't be a top scorer on the team, but he definately will be there.

Ask an Ottawa fan about him, and you'll soon realize that Laich and a 2nd rounder is more than you originally thought.

Old
02-19-2004, 09:14 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Laich and a 2nd = Plekanec or Balej

would you have done that?
or Ferland and a 2nd... that would be more fair .

Old
02-19-2004, 09:26 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
or Ferland and a 2nd... that would be more fair .
I think Laich has to be considered a better prospect than Ferland at this point. I mean Laich had already been in Ottawa this season, albeit brief, but......

Closed Thread