HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers trade Tyutin and Backman to Columbus for Zherdev and Fritsche

Old
07-03-2008, 12:47 AM
JacketsIslesFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Excellent post.

Not to generalize, but I think New York is a perfect place for a guy like Zherdev. Guys like Kovalev, Karpovtsev and Nemchinov used to hang out alot in Brighton Beach and places like that. To be honest, I don't think Columbus has many neighborhoods like that. Once guys like Cherepanov come along, things could wind up even better.

I don't really have much of an issue with the "diva-ness" (is that a word?) either. Sometimes it's alright to have a guy who has those tendencies as long as it's controlled. If it means a little confidence, hell, that's alright by me.

It really seems like he matured in the last year..hopefully New York brings out the best in him.
Yeah, we don't have too many Russians hanging out here in Central Ohio.

I definitely think if he can find a community there that he can relate to, it will do him worlds of good.

Honestly, I think his ''diva-ness'' (I like that word ) originates from having a little bit of insecurity due to being in a completely different country and not knowing the language. If he acts like a jerk, it distracts everyone from the fact that he's completely lost, fumbling around in the dark here in America. Just my take.

Edit: Oh, and Fritsche is pronounced like Fritch-ee. Fritch rhyming with witch.

Last edited by JacketsIslesFan: 07-03-2008 at 12:58 AM.
JacketsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:24 AM
h0ckeyman

Im glad it was toots and not Girardi....

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:45 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
I beg to differ....

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:59 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I beg to differ....
Agreed.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 02:34 AM
9darter
Soft Euro

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Well if it was Girardi it wouldn't have returned Zherdev...

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:21 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
All I can say is, he better mesh well with Gomez, or else Gomez wont have anyone else to play with him.

If Gomez is so "good," it gets kinda silly that we have to keep worrying about who is going to mesh well with him. He should be able to adapt. If he can't, he just simply isn't that good.
Bingo.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:05 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Bingo.
Well, Gomez isn't an elite player and was never sold as such. He's a capable first line center, if he has good linemates. Anyone expecting something else was expecting too much

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:24 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Well, Gomez isn't an elite player and was never sold as such. He's a capable first line center, if he has good linemates. Anyone expecting something else was expecting too much
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but...

You're right, but since he isn't an elite player, maybe he shouldn't be paid like one. It's one thing to have one non-elite guy making elite money, but this team has two (and now with Redden, possibly three).

It's tough to surround a guy like that with good line mates, which we both agree that he needs, when you're paying him that much money.

Frankly, I'd rather pay that money to Drury than Gomez, but I'm sure most will disagree with me. Guess I'm just still bitter that they signed him, which I really didn't want them to do. It's bad enough that he's a Devil, but he's not even worth the money.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
Well if it was Girardi it wouldn't have returned Zherdev...
Excactly. Girardi has the potential to be a good 2nd pairing guy anyway. He has proven that with 17-20 minutes a night he makes the most of it. It's hard to lose Tyutin but realistically what would you have wanted? This is what needs to be done in order to get good players in return.

I think some of you are severely underrating Nikky Zherdev, despite the great praise for this trade. He's 23 years old for the love of god and he's scored 25 goals twice already! He's not expensive, and he could work wonders in our top 6 for years to come.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:54 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I didn't know this but according to Prospect Park Howson (CBJ GM) was one Slats' AGMs in EDM. The cronie network strikes again! Woot, Slats, flog those old associates!

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I think Drury will have a good impact on him, and apparently there are coaches (not sure who) that speak Russian. This is also where Gravey can make his mark, helping him transition to NYC.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I'm evaluating this trade as Zherdov for Tyutin... and I gotta say you guys win. Zherdov has a lot of upside, and can be a great wing for you guys. I really liked Tyutin, and its rough to give him up. Gotta give to get, right?

So that makes the Redden signing a little better. Overall I think you guys have done pretty well so far

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:40 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Truth be told, I would've been happy moving an asset for him alone. To get him and Zherdev is amazing and worth the gamble.
I agree. Fritsche is more than just a throw-in. His floor is a 3rd line player. I do not think that he has reached his ceiling yet. But if he has, I view him in a similar type of role as a Hinote used to play for Colorado or a Laperriere.

It really depends on what Renney wants to do with Dubinsky and Drury. I do not think that it will be Dubinsky that will be moving to wing. I think that a third line with Fritsche at center and Callahan, is the beginnings of a pretty good, fiesty 3rd line. The third line will have Betts and Orr and one other player. It could be that the 4th line spot comes down to a battle between a Voros (whom I believe Sather signed to play with the big club, and not Hartford) and Hollweg and the 3rd line spot could be a battle between Byers and Korposki (whom personally I belive can use at least a half a season more in Hartford to work on his offensive game). On a team that lacks size and lost lots of aggression (Avery), such bottom-2 lines will make for good, hard nosed, aggresive physical play.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:57 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I agree. Fritsche is more than just a throw-in. His floor is a 3rd line player. I do not think that he has reached his ceiling yet. But if he has, I view him in a similar type of role as a Hinote used to play for Colorado or a Laperriere.

It really depends on what Renney wants to do with Dubinsky and Drury. I do not think that it will be Dubinsky that will be moving to wing. I think that a third line with Fritsche at center and Callahan, is the beginnings of a pretty good, fiesty 3rd line. The third line will have Betts and Orr and one other player. It could be that the 4th line spot comes down to a battle between a Voros (whom I believe Sather signed to play with the big club, and not Hartford) and Hollweg and the 3rd line spot could be a battle between Byers and Korposki (whom personally I belive can use at least a half a season more in Hartford to work on his offensive game). On a team that lacks size and lost lots of aggression (Avery), such bottom-2 lines will make for good, hard nosed, aggresive physical play.
I agree on all counts - Frtische is definitely not just a throw in IMO.

Going off the second half of your post, I could definitely see the forward lines being:

Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev
Drury-Dubinsky-Prucha
Korpi/Byers-Fritsche-Callahan
Voros-Betts-Sjostrom

But at the same time I also think it's too soon to judge, who knows what else Sather has cookin.

07-03-2008, 08:05 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Very happy with this move, but Slats still has work to do.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:07 AM
chosen

This is a trade with no apparent downside and a possible upside. That is as good as a trade can be. Tyutin will never be anything more than an average NHL defenseman. Zherdev may turn out to be a good one. If he doesn't, losing Tyutin is far from a big deal. At worst, the Rangers are treading water with this one.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:18 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Going off the second half of your post, I could definitely see the forward lines being:

Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev
Drury-Dubinsky-Prucha
Voros-Betts-Sjostrom

But at the same time I also think it's too soon to judge, who knows what else Sather has cookin.
I forgot about Sjostrom. He is going to play. As will Orr. Like it or not, he is going to be in the lineup every night on the 4th line. The more I think about it the more I think that the 3rd line will have Fritsche, Callahan and Sjostrom and the 4th will have Betts, Orr and Voros (probably here to replace Hollweg). I think that both Byers and Korpikoski start the year in Hartford.

Old
07-03-2008, 08:19 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Tyutin will never be anything more than an average NHL defenseman.
If you consider being a legit 2nd paring defenseman as being "average". Those players typically do not grow on trees. And frequently paying for 2nd pairing defensemen is much more expensive than growing your own (see Rozsival).

Old
07-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Here's something else to keep in mind, regarding Zherdev's attitude:

Our coach got Jaromir Jagr to buy into a defensive system. Renney is an extremely skilled group and individual psychologist. I don't have any worries at this particular moment. It remains to be seen, but I'm confident.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but...

You're right, but since he isn't an elite player, maybe he shouldn't be paid like one. It's one thing to have one non-elite guy making elite money, but this team has two (and now with Redden, possibly three).

It's tough to surround a guy like that with good line mates, which we both agree that he needs, when you're paying him that much money.

Frankly, I'd rather pay that money to Drury than Gomez, but I'm sure most will disagree with me. Guess I'm just still bitter that they signed him, which I really didn't want them to do. It's bad enough that he's a Devil, but he's not even worth the money.
Market value. That's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev
Drury-Dubinsky-Prucha
Voros-Betts-Sjostrom
I don't think those lines are too bad, honestly. They're not stellar, but there's a good mix of skill and grit and room to grow. I'd venture a guess that a large part of Sathers reluctance to bring back Jagr centers around the idea that he wants the team to be a more cohesive unit, and it's hard to do that with Jagr being such a commanding presence that doesn't necessarily fit in with your overall gameplan all the time.

Obviously though there are some huge questionmarks in that lineup. Namely can Dawes and Dubinsky improve on their play from last year and solidfy themselves as legitimate top 6 players, and can Prucha regain his form from his rookie season/end of his second season. I wouldn't be shocked to see more moves for some forwards, but if they started the season like this, they might not do too bad. Though obviously they'd be relying on the defense and Lundqvist to hold down the fort

Old
07-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

I cant believe this.

GZ on getting the puck "WiZherd" I will follow one of my favorite player to NYR, Lets go Rags.

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:34 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
If you consider being a legit 2nd paring defenseman as being "average". Those players typically do not grow on trees. And frequently paying for 2nd pairing defensemen is much more expensive than growing your own (see Rozsival).
The definition of an average NHL defenseman is a 2nd pairing defenseman, to me.

He is not a shutdown guy. He is not an offensive threat. Despite all of the chatter about leading the team in hits, aside from one every 20 games or so, they are not hits that throw fear into opposition forwards.

I'm not belittling being an average NHL defenseman. It's a great accomplishment. I wish I were one. However, Tyutin is someone who I feel will not be missed in the least.

No NHL players grow on trees. If they did, I'd be planting their seeds in the backyard.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Fletch

Is Fritsche

going to play center? Did he play a lot of center with Columbus? Could he be replacing Betts instead of being a third line centerman immediately? I don't think all these questions have been answered yet. I don't know a lot about Fritsche, but he didn't take a heck of a lot of faceoffs for a third line centerman (was fourth or fifth in faceoffs taken and was about 1/5 the third guy). There are more moves to come. With four NHL defensemen not named Pock signed and the team missing at least one top six winger.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Levitate

I heard he played a lot of wing in Columbus

Old
07-03-2008, 08:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I asked Slats to get creative and make a trade. Well done. This is an off the board solution. I applaud the effort.