HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers trade Tyutin and Backman to Columbus for Zherdev and Fritsche

Old
07-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I asked Slats to get creative and make a trade. Well done. This is an off the board solution. I applaud the effort.
Your posts about getting creative and making a trade is the first thing I thought of. SBOB for assistant GM !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Sorry but we're not moving Drury to wing for Dan Fritsche. I think the guy is an underrated piece in the trade, but he's played at wing for awhile. I think that's where he plays this year. I would like them to get another top six winger, to not place too much responsibility on Dawes, Prucha, Callahan, Sjostrom to score but we'll see. The group of forwards we have right now, without any more moves is workable.

Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev
Prucha-Dubinsky-Fritsche
Sjostrom-Drury-Callahan
Voros-Betts-Orr

Either Rissmiller goes to HFD, and Hollweg is the 13th forward or Hollweg gets traded/waived and Rissmiller stays on as the 13th forward.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I heard he played a lot of wing in Columbus
He did. The reasoning isn't entirely clear, but I'll give it a stab. Malhotra and Fritsche are both third-line talents who can fit into second-line roles--mainly due to speed--for a brief amount of time when called on (due to injuries, etc.), and Malhotra is too good on face offs to not use in that role. If Malhotra wasn't around, there was always Novotny. There's always seemed to be someone on the third line that we wanted to play at center more than Danny. The only times I ever think of Danny as a center are when I'm regretting that we haven't tried him at it.

Back on Zherdev for a second: If you want him to buy into your system in New York, I suggest your GM and/or coach go out of their way to meet with him during the summer. It did wonders for us last season when Howson visited with him to clear the air and to get everyone on the same page. I'm sure Zherdev would like the extra attention, and I'm thinking he might need it as well.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:46 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
The definition of an average NHL defenseman is a 2nd pairing defenseman, to me.
No, the definition of an average is akin to mediocre. And that would be a typical run-of-the mill 3rd pairing defenseman. 2nd pair defensemen are anything but mediocre.
Quote:
He is not a shutdown guy. He is not an offensive threat. Despite all of the chatter about leading the team in hits, aside from one every 20 games or so, they are not hits that throw fear into opposition forwards.
So what? His level of play is the 2nd pair. ANd those do not grow on trees. NO inexpensive ones.
Quote:
However, Tyutin is someone who I feel will not be missed in the least.
You may not miss 3rd pairing guys. 2nd pairing guys tend to be missed unless you replace them with equally valuable other 2nd pairing defenseman.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:54 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Sorry but we're not moving Drury to wing for Dan Fritsche. I think the guy is an underrated piece in the trade, but he's played at wing for awhile. I think that's where he plays this year. I would like them to get another top six winger, to not place too much responsibility on Dawes, Prucha, Callahan, Sjostrom to score but we'll see. The group of forwards we have right now, without any more moves is workable.

Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev
Prucha-Dubinsky-Fritsche
Sjostrom-Drury-Callahan
Voros-Betts-Orr

Either Rissmiller goes to HFD, and Hollweg is the 13th forward or Hollweg gets traded/waived and Rissmiller stays on as the 13th forward.
You are not moving Drury for Fritsche. Fritsche is a third line player, not a 2nd line player, which is what Drury is. Having Drury be a 3rd line player is a waste of his abilities and the money spent on him. Having the most expensive 3rd line player in the league is not what Drury was signed for. He was signed to be the 2nd line center, behind Gomez. However, Dubinsky's development means that if you want for him to continue as a 2nd line player (top-6 forwards are something that the Rangers are short on right now), Drury is the only one that has played the wing effectively in the past.

Right now, Gomez, Drury, Dawes, Dubinsky and Zheredev are the only top-6 players that this team has (whether or not Dubinsky should be a 2nd line player right now is another issue). Prucha can be thrown in, but that means having a very small top-6, which is asking for trouble. It is up to Renney to make it work. The Rangers could construct a top line of Zheredev, Gomez and Dawes (who showed good chemistry with Gomez) and have Dubinsky and Drury as two of the 2nd liners. The answer cannot be to have Drury play on the 3rd line again.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Back on Zherdev for a second: If you want him to buy into your system in New York, I suggest your GM and/or coach go out of their way to meet with him during the summer. It did wonders for us last season when Howson visited with him to clear the air and to get everyone on the same page. I'm sure Zherdev would like the extra attention, and I'm thinking he might need it as well.
Renney is considered a players coach and in general very good with his players, so I think it'll be ok

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:01 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Renney is considered a players coach and in general very good with his players, so I think it'll be ok
Yup.

Show me another coach in the NHL that walks into the locker room and shakes each and every hand of every player and member of the coaching staff, medical team, and equipment guys, after a win in the regular season.

Renney is a GREAT players' coach.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:06 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
I have never seen a team adopt's it's coaches personality more than this team. Renney is an excellent communicator and has a way to get through to players.

07-03-2008, 10:09 AM
cbjrocks

I usually don't post on other teams boards but I will give you a warning about Zheredev.

About 10 games into the season, you'll get tired of his little toe drag, turn of the puck at the blue line bit.

About 20 games into the season, the New York media will be tired of his inability to answer a question since he doesn't speak English and refuses to learn

About 30 games into the season, the New York media will be tired of his little pouty face he make when it's appearent that no one likes him.

You'll be looking to trade him at the deadline since there is no way you'll want to give him a new contract next season and there is a chance he will bolt for Russia.

The Columbus media had an awful lot of patience with Zheredev and he couldn't handle it here. All you have to do is witness his crap after the Foote trade. The New York media will be all over him.

Good luck.

cbjrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:11 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjrocks View Post
I usually don't post on other teams boards but I will give you a warning about Zheredev.

About 10 games into the season, you'll get tired of his little toe drag, turn of the puck at the blue line bit.

About 20 games into the season, the New York media will be tired of his inability to answer a question since he doesn't speak English and refuses to learn

About 30 games into the season, the New York media will be tired of his little pouty face he make when it's appearent that no one likes him.

You'll be looking to trade him at the deadline since there is no way you'll want to give him a new contract next season and there is a chance he will bolt for Russia.

The Columbus media had an awful lot of patience with Zheredev and he couldn't handle it here. All you have to do is witness his crap after the Foote trade. The New York media will be all over him.

Good luck.
While we're foretelling the future, care to fill me in on tomorrow's lottery numbers?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Good luck.
Cause afterall, a 23 yr old who now has a change of scenery will perform exactly the same right?

Man, thanks for the heads up.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:

Good luck.
C`mon dont be sad you lost him.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Fletch

7, 24, 36, 39, 42, 46 and the powerball # 7....

I do thank cbjrocks for his insight, and don't doubt that was the situation in Columbus. We don't know how he will adapt to New York. I assume Sather acquired a youngster with only one year on his contract because he knew fully well the risk and also acquired a guy he has high hopes for, while trading a 5th and 6th defenseman (since he setup his top four already). So it was Backman for Zherdev and Toots for Fritsche. Backman will frustrate to no end and we'll wait and see on Zherdev. You won't complain much about Toots except realize he has so much size and skill and you're waiting for him to realize that potential but really doesn't, although the downside is a solid defenseman. Still reminded me too much of Malakhov.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:21 AM
cbjrocks

Quote:
While we're foretelling the future, care to fill me in on tomorrow's lottery numbers?

I wouldn't bet on 13

EDIT: I'm not a Zheredev hater. He's got a lot of skill and a lot of upside. But, in a small market, where you are somewhat insulated from the pressure, Zheredev couldn't hack it. In New York, he'd better either fly under the radar or get tougher

Last edited by cbjrocks: 07-03-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old
07-03-2008, 10:23 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:

Good luck.
LOL, lots of clairvoyants in Columbus.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Deathstroke

Quote:
I wouldn't bet on 13
[IMG][/IMG]

Yeah, its not like your opinion is completely biased or anything

Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:29 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I wouldn't bet on 13

EDIT: I'm not a Zheredev hater. He's got a lot of skill and a lot of upside. But, in a small market, where you are somewhat insulated from the pressure, Zheredev couldn't hack it. In New York, he'd better either fly under the radar or get tougher
Think out point is you are treating a kid who's 23 as a finished product.

And I think with the likes of Gomez, Drury, Redden and Lundqvist he'll be plenty insulated.

He might actually be more confortable in NY which has large Ukrainian and Russian areas.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:30 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Guys, cbjrocks brings up some valid points; there is no reason to completely wrtie him off and flame him out of the thread. The guy has watched Zherdev for his entrie career - we haven't even seen him don a blueshirt yet.

I'm not saying I don't think Zherdev will work things out in NY or that it was a bad trade, but hear the guy out before writing him off as a "hater" just for presenting a different point of view.

07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Renion

Quote:

Good luck.
The year is no longer 2006/2007, my friend. His toe-drag worked wonders in 2005/2006 and then failed him, much like everything failed him, the following season. This past season, he didn't rely on it as much, and it showed. His turnovers from dangerous plays were down significantly. He was also just about to do his first English interview during this season when something happened to prevent it (it may have been a horrible game).

And the entire team took a dump after the All-Star break, including the Jackets' most valuable player.

You said some things that might turn out to be true, and which I've already said in this thread, albeit with less animosity.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
cbjrocks

All I'm telling you guys is that he couldn't handle it in a market where he was somewhat insulated. Hey, I could be wrong... but I think the New York media is going to have a blast with Zheredev.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:32 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I wouldn't bet on 13

the nice thing is that players like gomez, drury, dubinsky, callahan, rozsival, redden will WANT to talk to the media....as they are the leaders....i think if he says he is uncomfortable talking to the media, they will try to shelter him as they are good teammates and consumate professonals....i see drury taking a specific interest in this player like he did with vanek

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Guys, cbjrocks brings up some valid points; there is no reason to completely wrtie him off and flame him out of the thread. The guy has watched Zherdev for his entrie career - we haven't even seen him don a blueshirt yet.

I'm not saying I don't think Zherdev will work things out in NY or that it was a bad trade, but hear the guy out before writing him off as a "hater" just for presenting a different point of view.
I don't neccesarily consider conjecture based on what a 23 year old kid did on a lousy team to be valid points.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post

I keep having to say that to people who react negatively to anything you Rangers fans say about Tyutin (rarely) or Backman (more frequently)

Old
07-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Fletch

If a 23 year old...

can score 60 points and not handle the market, perhaps a 24 year old can score 70 points and have even more pressure. I do understand the criticism and don't doubt they're unfair - but the kid, and he is a kid, still managed 60 points while folding under the pressure. At his age and cost (both in terms of personnel to acquire and dollars), this is a very calculated risk.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:37 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
I don't neccesarily consider conjecture based on what a 23 year old kid did on a lousy team to be valid points.
Fair enough on the conjecture, but I still think that Zherdev's inability to deal with the media in Columbus could be a minor cause for worry moving to NY. Certainly not a deal breaker, but a fair point to consider.

HatTrick Swayze is online now   Reply With Quote