HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers trade Tyutin and Backman to Columbus for Zherdev and Fritsche

Old
07-03-2008, 10:41 AM
cbjrocks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
the nice thing is that players like gomez, drury, dubinsky, callahan, rozsival, redden will WANT to talk to the media....as they are the leaders....i think if he says he is uncomfortable talking to the media, they will try to shelter him as they are good teammates and consumate professonals....i see drury taking a specific interest in this player like he did with vanek
As stated, I'm not a Z hater. As a matter of fact, my level of respect went up for the guy when I saw him on December 29, 2007 pass on a empty net goal that would have been his first hat trick. I also watched him mail it in for the final three weeks of the season after Foote was traded.

But, your point is excellent. Here, he was the show. In New York, most of the heat will be on other players and he may be able to mature into the player I saw pass on a hattrick.

But, your media is tougher than he'll ever face here. I hope he can handle it.

cbjrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjrocks View Post
All I'm telling you guys is that he couldn't handle it in a market where he was somewhat insulated. Hey, I could be wrong... but I think the New York media is going to have a blast with Zheredev.
This is why I can't take you serious. You don't know so i'll help - the NY media is NOTHING when it comes to hockey. Outside of NYC, everyone hears how the baseball, basketball, football players get crucified in the media - but hockey isnt even close, its a blip on the radar. Like I said to the Ottawa fans - Redden will never be under the microscope as much as he was in Ottawa, they breathe hockey up there.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:52 AM
frankthefrowner

Whats funny about all of this is people think the NY Media knows the Rangers Exist.

The Media is pretty tame to the rangers because there too busy up the ***** of the Mets and Yanks Year round. We also play the same time as the Jets and World Champion Giants. I doubt Dellipina, Brooks or Weinman strike fear into the hearts of anyon.e

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Whats funny about all of this is people think the NY Media knows the Rangers Exist.

The Media is pretty tame to the rangers because there too busy up the ***** of the Mets and Yanks Year round. We also play the same time as the Jets and World Champion Giants. I doubt Dellipina, Brooks or Weinman strike fear into the hearts of anyon.e
Exactly what I was thinking. Brooks is the only one that has had well-known previous altercations in his talks, and seems to be the only one with an attitude.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:53 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't neccesarily consider conjecture based on what a 23 year old kid did on a lousy team to be valid points.
The poster from Columbus was as non-confrontational as can be and has been met with derision far beyond what his post deserves. People act like he is bashing Zherdev, the Rangers or the posters here when he clearly isn't.

Everything posted, in regards to opinions, is purely conjecture. The guy doesn't deserve to be treated hostilely for his opinions. They are his observations of a player that he has watched a whole lot more than anyone here has watched.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:57 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
As stated, I'm not a Z hater. As a matter of fact, my level of respect went up for the guy when I saw him on December 29, 2007 pass on a empty net goal that would have been his first hat trick. I also watched him mail it in for the final three weeks of the season after Foote was traded.

But, your point is excellent. Here, he was the show. In New York, most of the heat will be on other players and he may be able to mature into the player I saw pass on a hattrick.

But, your media is tougher than he'll ever face here. I hope he can handle it.
i know, i wasnt attacking you....i was just stating my opinion.....as drury was able to do it a lot in buffalo with vanek and others who were really young and talented, yet didnt want to talk to the press......thank you for coming here, i understand where you are coming from and i know its hard to come on another forum and try to talk hockey with other teams fans so thank you.....if you could comment on this, it would be helpful:

negatives:
prima-dona
plays very little defense
turns over the puck sometimes at the blueline
might go back to russia

positives:
insanely skilled
speedy
great hands/1v1
young

for the rangers this trade is perfect as they have the system to replacde tyutin in the next couple of years and they really dont have anyone with the potential of zherdev(except possibly cheraponov)......they are a team of two-way forwards(without jagr) and that is great, however, it is even better to have a couple of players who are total offense as it relieves the pressure off of the two-way players to score a ton of goals(which normally leads to more goals by them due to being more comfortable) and allows the all-out forward to play offense as the rest of the players on the ice have the ability to cancel his mistakes

overall, IMO a good trade for both clubs

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:01 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
The poster from Columbus was as non-confrontational as can be and has been met with derision far beyond what his post deserves. People act like he is bashing Zherdev, the Rangers or the posters here when he clearly isn't.

Everything posted, in regards to opinions, is purely conjecture. The guy doesn't deserve to be treated hostilely for his opinions. They are his observations of a player that he has watched a whole lot more than anyone here has watched.
Um. OK.

07-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Levitate

Quote:
The guy doesn't deserve to be treated hostilely for his opinions.
Stupid opinions deserve to be treated in a hostile manner. That said, I don't think these opinions were that stupid, just presented in a somewhat antagonistic way

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:34 AM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I agree on all counts - Frtische is definitely not just a throw in IMO.

Going off the second half of your post, I could definitely see the forward lines being:

Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev
Drury-Dubinsky-Prucha
Korpi/Byers-Fritsche-Callahan
Voros-Betts-Sjostrom

But at the same time I also think it's too soon to judge, who knows what else Sather has cookin.
Interesting lines.... I'd feel better about them, though, if you moved Dawes down to the second line and put another top scorer (like a JJ or Hossa) on that top line (I know that Hossa is gone, but we apparently made a strong offer for him... woulda been nice).

In that case, something like

Hossa/Jagr - Gomez - Zherdev
Drury - Dubinski - Dawes
Korpi - Fritsche - Callahan
Byers - Betts - Sjostrom

(with Prucha as trade bait for another Dman...)

Would have been REAL nice. Anybody we can still land for that top scoring line besides Jagr or is he our only option at this point barring a trade?

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:37 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I dont see him as an unknown at all (unless you mean we have a new player with the organization and we don't know how he will perform in a new setting. That could be said for every UFA and traded player we get though).
I've got to agree. Just being frustrated about losing Toots. The fact that that would probably be a fair price paid ads to it.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:38 AM
mschmidt64

Quote:
I usually don't post on other teams boards but I will give you a warning about Zheredev.

About 10 games into the season, you'll get tired of his little toe drag, turn of the puck at the blue line bit.

About 20 games into the season, the New York media will be tired of his inability to answer a question since he doesn't speak English and refuses to learn

About 30 games into the season, the New York media will be tired of his little pouty face he make when it's appearent that no one likes him.

You'll be looking to trade him at the deadline since there is no way you'll want to give him a new contract next season and there is a chance he will bolt for Russia.

The Columbus media had an awful lot of patience with Zheredev and he couldn't handle it here. All you have to do is witness his crap after the Foote trade. The New York media will be all over him.

Good luck.
Sour grapes?

Old
07-03-2008, 11:38 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
Interesting lines.... I'd feel better about them, though, if you moved Dawes down to the second line and put another top scorer (like a JJ or Hossa) on that top line (I know that Hossa is gone, but we apparently made a strong offer for him... woulda been nice).

In that case, something like

Hossa/Jagr - Gomez - Zherdev
Drury - Dubinski - Dawes
Korpi - Fritsche - Callahan
Byers - Betts - Sjostrom

(with Prucha as trade bait for another Dman...)

Would have been REAL nice. Anybody we can still land for that top scoring line besides Jagr or is he our only option at this point barring a trade?
yea we signed rissmiller to be a spare part and voros im guessing betts might get dealt since we signed rissmiller, voros

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:41 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
for the rangers this trade is perfect as they have the system to replacde tyutin in the next couple of years and they really dont have anyone with the potential of zherdev(except possibly cheraponov)......they are a team of two-way forwards(without jagr) and that is great, however, it is even better to have a couple of players who are total offense as it relieves the pressure off of the two-way players to score a ton of goals(which normally leads to more goals by them due to being more comfortable) and allows the all-out forward to play offense as the rest of the players on the ice have the ability to cancel his mistakes
That is correct assessment, IMO.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:42 AM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
yea we signed rissmiller to be a spare part and voros im guessing betts might get dealt since we signed rissmiller, voros
Betts probably isn't going to bring you back a top-6 player though.

Old
07-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50
hey, first post after the trade...

hate to see toots leave, liked him very much, but fetching zherdev AND fritsche is great news! backman was a throw in...

all the rangers need now are not spectacular, but SOLID #5 and #6 defensemen and good soldier (Strudwick type of guy) as #7. With Redden, Roszival, Girardi and Staal most likely getting major minutes, the Rangers need two guys to play solid D and hit...

I really hope Pck, Fahey, Potter and possibly Hutchinson and/or a cheap UFA can fight it out for the 1 or 2 positions on D... Sanguinetti's time will come, still too early for him.

Great trade for the Rangers! I like it!

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Enstrom39

Quote:

It is interesting how this problem appears only on the certain forums and not others.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
It is interesting how this problem appears only on the certain forums and not others.
Thanks for the passive aggressive public service announcement.

I don't think i was killing the guy, I simply stated that he spoke out of school on the topic of NY media and how hockey is perceived.

Old
07-03-2008, 12:16 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Actually I would disagree with that statement. Pretty much anyone who goes to another team's forum will get beaten up by some members of that forum. A lot of people have no interest in having a decent conversation/discussion with "outsiders who don't belong there." Sad, but true.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Hmm, judging by the video i just posted on YT, it appears Zherdev is equally adept on the left side as the right side. If we could bring back Jagr, would could definitely use his abilities on the left side to strengthen the entire team, since really Dawes is our only LW capable of consistently scoring right now.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:36 PM
JacketsIslesFan

Here's a thread debating about Zherdev from the CBJ board started in March of this year. Maybe it'll give you an idea of what the fans feel his positives and negatives are.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=495347

JacketsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:45 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

I posted / had a discussion with another poster in this thread:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=504255&page=6

I'm not going to retype everything here. This was a little while ago and page 6 at least partly discusses Zherdev.

This is just conjecture, but I think Zherdev's personal relationships strongly affect his on ice performance (more so than other personality types). If he "belongs" he will do significantly better than if he doesn't. He also seems to need a certain amount of trust in his linemates in order to be willing to work with them, otherwise he'll try to go it alone (which doesn't always work out).

Just from articles in the paper, he just becoming comfortable in Columbus last year. Hopefully for your sake (and his) he can make the transition to New York more quickly.

Dispatch article from today discussing the trade. Thought I would share.

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live...7.html?sid=101

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsIslesFan View Post
Here's a thread debating about Zherdev from the CBJ board started in March of this year. Maybe it'll give you an idea of what the fans feel his positives and negatives are.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=495347
Its really irrelevant as far as i'm concerned. New team, new situation, and he's still maturing at 23 yrs old.

Old
07-03-2008, 02:01 PM
JacketsIslesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Its really irrelevant as far as i'm concerned. New team, new situation, and he's still maturing at 23 yrs old.
Ok, then. Don't read it.

JacketsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 02:07 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Well, when you have three times the volume of posts, you're obviously going to encounter more jerks. So unless you're going to tell me that everyone is a saint and gets along in perfect harmony on the Columbus board (or the ATL board, wherever you post most frequently), then understand we get a lot of traffic here and inevitably some stupid posters.

But yes, there's no point debating this any longer. We'll just have to see how Zherdev performs.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I agree. Fritsche is more than just a throw-in. His floor is a 3rd line player. I do not think that he has reached his ceiling yet. But if he has, I view him in a similar type of role as a Hinote used to play for Colorado or a Laperriere.

It really depends on what Renney wants to do with Dubinsky and Drury. I do not think that it will be Dubinsky that will be moving to wing. I think that a third line with Fritsche at center and Callahan, is the beginnings of a pretty good, fiesty 3rd line. The third line will have Betts and Orr and one other player. It could be that the 4th line spot comes down to a battle between a Voros (whom I believe Sather signed to play with the big club, and not Hartford) and Hollweg and the 3rd line spot could be a battle between Byers and Korposki (whom personally I belive can use at least a half a season more in Hartford to work on his offensive game). On a team that lacks size and lost lots of aggression (Avery), such bottom-2 lines will make for good, hard nosed, aggresive physical play.
I have a gut feeling he is going to play wing for us. Could be wrong, but that's where I see him eventually.

So here is some interesting info for you. I talked to a couple of buddies of mine this morning about some of the recent moves and the recent Nashville conversation came up.

Apparently, the trade actually started as a move of Fritsche for Backman. Columbus then inquired about Tyutin and the Rangers about Nash. CBS pretty much laughed that one off and inquired if the Rangers were still interested in Zherdev. One thing leads to another and you have the trade as we now know it.

Zherdev already has 26 and 27 goal seasons under his belt. Even if only maintains that level and never becomes a star, the Rangers are a lot faster and noticeably more dangerous than they were before.

I think the key will be getting the right veterans. In this case, I think that's one of the main reasons that Naslund got a two-year deal.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote