HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pittsburgh and the curse of the SCF runner-up?

Old
07-02-2008, 04:26 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

vCash: 500
Pittsburgh and the curse of the SCF runner-up?

Is Pittsburgh suffering from the curse of the SCF runner up? Mass exodus of players who most likely had career years, resulting in fleeing to other teams?

They have already lost Malone, Hall, Conklin and Ruutu... is Orpik next? Good thing they signed Malkin I suppose. This seems to happen almost every year (and more specifically, it happened in 06 with my boys, the Oilers!).

Edit: forgot Conklin

Last edited by oilsands: 07-02-2008 at 04:36 PM.
oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:41 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

And Roberts! **** I forgot about Roberts... like rats fleeing a ship.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Jaded-Fan

Yup, Tavares is a lock for us next year. It is all part of our plan.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Once Crosby, Malkin, MAB & Co. hit the ice in October - now with the experience of a Cup run under their belt - I doubt they will be the team that is "cursed".

July 2nd: Paper games, paper standings, paper champions.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:22 PM
clefty
What?

I'm sorry, did Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Whitney, Staal, Talbot and Orpik sign with other teams while my back was turned?

The core is intact. Free agents will come and go, thats how its been ever since free agency became free agency.

No, actually you're right. Whatever will the Penguins do without Adam Hall and Ty Conklin!?!? And Gary Roberts' pneumonia, too!

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Kamina
Amok

I think they'll drop and lose in the first round, similar to Ottawa and Anaheim this year.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:34 PM
LosT_PropheT

I remember not too long ago, the Ducks and Hurricanes losing the the finals??? Seems like they rebounded well...

Last edited by LosT_PropheT: 07-02-2008 at 06:47 PM.
LosT_PropheT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosT_PropheT View Post
I remember not too long ago, the Ducks and Hurricanes losing the the finals??? Seems like they rebounded well...
True, but it took the Ducks and Canes 4 years (3 seasons) to get back to their goal....and their roster was nowhere near the same.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:14 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Yup, Tavares is a lock for us next year. It is all part of our plan.

i predict soon decades of terror and domination will follow.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:15 AM
awesomo
HARD!

the curse is ty conklin

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 03:25 PM
letsgoisles89

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Is Pittsburgh suffering from the curse of the SCF runner up? Mass exodus of players who most likely had career years, resulting in fleeing to other teams.
They have already lost Malone, Hall, Conklin and Ruutu... is Orpik next? Good thing they signed Malkin I suppose. This seems to happen almost every year (and more specifically, it happened in 06 with my boys, the Oilers!).

Edit: forgot Conklin
what curse are you looking at?
looking back 2 decades ago i see a similar scenario in the 1983 cup finals when the powerhouse experienced islanders swept the up-and-coming oilers with a core of young rising stars with no cup finals experience (gretzky, messier, coffey, kurri, anderson, fuhr). What happened next? The Oilers get payback beating the isles the very next year in the finals as they go on to win 4 of the next 5 cups.

i'm not saying that this will repeat. and of course in this day and age its difficult to retain all of your players from free agency. but jeeez! they locked up crosby, malkin, fleury, whitney, and orpik. although in the last year of his contract, i would be suprised if staal leaves what he has in pittsburgh right now. the only guy that will be an uncertainty is gonchar who still has 2 years left on his contract!

they lost hossa, so what!? please put my islanders in pittsburgh's position, i'd be more than happy to take the risk of this so called "curse"!!!

forgot to mention some other examples:
1.Flames lose in '86, win in '89.
2.Red Wings get swept in '95, then sweep the finals in '97 and '98.
3.Devils lose in '01, win in '03
4.Canes lose in '02, win in '06 (as previously stated, subtract 1 season from the lockout year. although people argue the 2 rosters were completely different, 9 players from the '02 roster were on the '06 roster, including key players such as brind'amour, wesley, hedican, cole and vacisek)
5.Ducks lose in '03, win in '07 (as previously stated, subtract 1 season from the lockout year. although people argue the 2 rosters were completely different, some key players of the '07 ducks played on the '03 ducks including pahlsson, macdonald, r. neidermeyer, and perhaps the most important of all: js giguere)

letsgoisles89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Dima87*

I doubt it, they've got two of the world's top 5 players in their roster and decsent talent behind them.

Dima87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 03:52 PM
southhampton

I remember this same topic being tossed about with the Senators last year and the same arguements being tossed about as to why the Senators would not fall. We all know what happened though and they did fall. Fact remains its just too early to tell. Last years Sens team lost less than this years Penguins.

southhampton is offline   Reply With Quote