HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you guys do this proposal?

Old
07-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
At one point, maybe we'll come to realize that we do have a depth problem at the center position and one day Timmins and Co will need to address it via the draft 'cause they're obviously the hardest to get via trades or UFA.

Centers with some offensive potential....please Trevor make them your priority like you did for d-men.........

As far as this deal, I probably wouldn't do it just for the sake or having a bigger centerman. I wonder what kind of a deal we could make to get Benoit Pouliot. I know it's not immediate help, still, it could be the type of homerun we could try to hit....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Vlad The Impaler

vCash: 500
The weird thing is, it does look like a recent CBJ move, trading Gilbert Brule for Raffi Torres.

I like Brassard. Value-wise, I'd pull the trigger.

But at this juncture in time, I think the emphasis in Montreal should be on being competitive and Higgins is a sure NHL value and long established on this team.

I guess it would depend on the plans for Higgins and possible replacements.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Bermy

If Montreal was rebuilding, I would do it. But right now I wouldn't. We have the chance to contend and right now Higgins gives us a better chance to win than Brassard.

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:28 PM
KaTaKlIsM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
At one point, maybe we'll come to realize that we do have a depth problem at the center position and one day Timmins and Co will need to address it via the draft 'cause they're obviously the hardest to get via trades or UFA.

Centers with some offensive potential....please Trevor make them your priority like you did for d-men.........

As far as this deal, I probably wouldn't do it just for the sake or having a bigger centerman. I wonder what kind of a deal we could make to get Benoit Pouliot. I know it's not immediate help, still, it could be the type of homerun we could try to hit....
I would probably think about it if I was BG... we should stop fooling ourselves... Higgins is a 3rd liner... brassard is a very good good prospect at center..... and its not like we have a lot of them... it's true thats its a gamble... but higgins is a 3rd liner...

KaTaKlIsM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Indeed the heat.

But wait we would have another Quebecois!!
LOL.......

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:32 PM
redmachine54

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaTaKlIsM View Post
I would probably think about it if I was BG... we should stop fooling ourselves... Higgins is a 3rd liner... brassard is a very good good prospect at center..... and its not like we have a lot of them... it's true thats its a gamble... but higgins is a 3rd liner...
Higgins isn't a third-liner; I don't know why everyone keeps saying this. Point-wise, he isn't a third-liner; in actuality, based on his playing time, he isn't a third-liner; based on his offensive instincts, he isn't a third liner. What makes him a third-liner?

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Chris Higgins for Derrick Brassard

I'm looking for any opinions really, if i get burned so be it... I think Brassard would an excellent fit here in Montreal, he already has alot of chemistry with Guillaume on the ice, he still has #1 center potential, of course loosing Higgins would hurt be he's replacable imo
horrible for the Habs

I still think that Higgins will be a star in this league in a few years...this guy is our Jarome Iginla (with slightly lower offensive abilities)

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:40 PM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
horrible for the Habs

I still think that Higgins will be a star in this league in a few years...this guy is our Jarome Iginla.
ouch!!!don't go on the main board with a post like that!!!! I love Higgy and I hope he will stay a hab for life (wich I think he will) but Iginla is one hell of a player. I can see Higgy pop in 25-35 goals on a regular basis. Maybe a 40 goals season in his career year. Higgins has no real flaws but lack something to be on Iginla's level.

Higgins is starting to get some recognition throughout the league tjough... He seems to be in every trade talks involving the habs to get a star player. That is a sign he is a keeper.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:40 PM
KaTaKlIsM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmachine54 View Post
Higgins isn't a third-liner; I don't know why everyone keeps saying this. Point-wise, he isn't a third-liner; in actuality, based on his playing time, he isn't a third-liner; based on his offensive instincts, he isn't a third liner. What makes him a third-liner?
well since he has been projected as a 3rd liner by timmins when he was drafted and that he will end up on our 3rd line this season... can we say that he is a third liner? not to mention that he has no finishing touch to score goals, he isnt a play maker, and we can't say that he has the body to be a power forward on a top line

KaTaKlIsM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:45 PM
redmachine54

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaTaKlIsM View Post
well since he has been projected as a 3rd liner by timmins when he was drafted and that he will end up on our 3rd line this season... can we say that he is a third liner?
Given they roll three lines, Higgins' line could easily be considered the second. You won't hear Carbonneau telling you it's a third line, either, given he wouldn't state Koivu was playing on the second line last year.

You can try and get as technical as you want, but you've got no grounds for calling Higgins a third liner. I don't believe Lidstrom was projected to be one of the best d-men to ever play the game when Detroit's third round pick came up, and look at him now. Expectations and reality are two different things.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shabutie

Quote:
horrible for the Habs

I still think that Higgins will be a star in this league in a few years...this guy is our Jarome Iginla (with slightly lower offensive abilities)
I love Higgins, he's one of my favorite players on the team but c'mon. Higgins would have to drop the gloves once in a while and defend his teammates for you to compare him to Iginla.

The one thing I hate about this team is that most of our players let themselves get pushed around.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
anarmandaleb

If Higgins is going to be traded, it sure as hell better be for a ****ing star.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
flameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssss are coming

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Pouliot was a favorite of mine for a long but he doesn't seem like's going pan out after all, guess he just had 1 fluke OHL season, + i think he plays left wing now

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Go Habs Go

If Higgins was 30 years old and producing at the pace he is now, I would consider it. Since he's still so young and is already proven, why trade him for one thats unproven. Brassard would need to have a very, VERY high potential for a deal like this to be done.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Round Pick View Post
that'so awesome, my new avatar!

Old
07-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
The weird thing is, it does look like a recent CBJ move, trading Gilbert Brule for Raffi Torres.

I like Brassard. Value-wise, I'd pull the trigger.

But at this juncture in time, I think the emphasis in Montreal should be on being competitive and Higgins is a sure NHL value and long established on this team.

I guess it would depend on the plans for Higgins and possible replacements.
I agree - based on value and organizational depth - I would pull the trigger. We have wingers (MaxPax) that can take Higgins spot on the top two lines. We don't have centers that we can say the same.

Brassard is not small at 6'1". He just needs to fill out some. I am concerned he is injury prone, but then again so is Maxwell.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
horrible for the Habs

oh my god..... and what Brassard will end being a grinder, Higgins is good but he's nowhere near Iginla and i feel more stupid after reading this

Old
07-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
I like the idea, we will exchange a guy who has first line stats and 27G.
Two seasons with 25G+.

And we are going to get a great center player:
17GP 1G+1A.

I just hope I am the first to negociate with you when you become a GM...

For now, I would not exchange Brassard for Oby, Grab or Chip.
Chipper has 36GP - 4G + 7A. Twice the GP, 5 times the points.
Grab has 24GP - 3G + 6A. Again roughly 5 times the production.

No interest is an understatement.
I guess you are just fishing for reactions. You suceeded.

Case closed.
[/THREAD]

hahahahahahaha is this guy for real? You'r going to take 17 games of a 20 year old player and make out his future with it

Thornton had 7 points his 1st year, Jokinen had 21 and Lecavalier had 28, boy they sure ended up bad players

Come back to me when you'r actually able to talk hockey

Old
07-02-2008, 08:10 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
With 17GP 1G+1A with CBJ...
Where do you see Brassard next year?

Because we need players now... Higgins does that, not Brassard.
We have so many RFA/UFA next year that we may loose 70% of our core.
Agreed. 2 points in 17 games on an offense starved team in Columbus. If he was so great he would have stuck with the team and he didn't. Maybe in time he will be great but Higgins is very good now and who knows we might already have a cup by the time Brassard is "great".

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Did you see the trade Columbus made today? We could probably get Brassard for Bouillon and Loic Lacasse... in all seriousness I wouldn't do the trade because Higgins is just too valuable to this team and like was said earlier the only way he goes is if a star is coming back.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Beakermania*

Brassard has proven nothing.... Higgins scored 27 goals.... we are chasing the cup now... not needing to dump good players for prospects....

If Brassard was named John Smith and he was from BC would you even suggest this deal.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:27 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

HAS EVERYONE GONE INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:loon y: What is all this? Why is anyone even tickling the possiblilty of getting rid of Higgins. Next year we should sign him to a super long term and hang on to him as long as we possibly can IMO. He should be our top LW for a long time. Higgins is the reason we did jack-all at the trade deadline because Gainey wouldnt move Higgins.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Brassard has proven nothing.... Higgins scored 27 goals.... we are chasing the cup now... not needing to dump good players for prospects....

If Brassard was named John Smith and he was from BC would you even suggest this deal.
If John Smith was a 6'1 scoring center who was picked 6th overall, who was really fast and had chemistry with one of our guys, ya i would of probably suggested him too

Old
07-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
If he was so great he would have stuck with the team and he didn't.
Where were Koivu, Komisarek, Markov, Higgins, Plekanec and Kostitsyn when they were 20 years old? Sticking with a NHL team when you're 20 is not the ultimate NHL career gauge.

Chad Kilger jumped in the NHL right after being drafted and he still sucks balls today.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote