HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schremp, Pouliot, Smid Win Big This Week

Old
07-02-2008, 07:56 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Schremp Pouliot and Brodziak haven't played together since they ripped up the AHL together before the Nilsson trade last year. Once that happened, we incurred a bunch of injuries, and Pouliot and Brodziak were called up repeatedly to fill in on the big club.

I'd think it'd be smart to try them together in training camp. But honestly, Schremp has to get his **** together this summer. He needs to get stronger, faster, and more willing to hit the boards.

Hell, Brodziak was being hailed as a failure for the same reason a few seasons back, and all it took was one summer of hard work to improve his skating and work ethic, and look at what it's done for his career. If Schremp wants any chance to make it, he's got to put the work in.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
and both MAP and Schremp are hurt by Brule coming into the picture

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:05 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I don't see it that way - my callup order:

MAP
Schremp
Brule
Potulny
Trukhno

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:07 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Primarily LW, but he also played center and at the end of the year he ws on the RW. I'd personally prefer him at center or RW.
Agreed 100%. Schremp doesn't seem as fluid on the LW. He is obviously most comfortable at C, but he also looked quite strong playing on the RW. Either of those is fine by me.

Of course he still has to actually show up and produce at camp. But a summer with Horcoff and the Moreau bros as tutors has me very optimistic about the chances of that being quite high. Plus, no knee injury to rehab this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatone94 View Post
I think Brule will actually start off in Edmonton:
Cole-Horcoff-Hemsky
Nilsson-Gagner-Penner(played RW in ANA)
Schremp-Cogliano-Brule/Pouliot
Moreau-Brodziak-Pisani
Slight tweaks, since Schremp is better on RW and Cole prefers it there too. And Brule is starting in the AHL barring a complete transformation over the summer.

Penner - Horcoff - Hemsky
Nilsson - Gagner - Cole
Pouliot - Cogliano - Schremp
Moreau - Brodziak - Pisani

Everyone plays their natural or 2nd favorite position. Guys always tend to play better in their natural positions anyways. Our roster it just happens to work out that way. May as well go for it.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:08 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Totally disagree. Brule is behind their development, IMO. Unless we want a Manny Malhotra version 2.0, Brule needs to be broken down and rebuilt in the AHL. Hell, I remember in his draft year many people saying he's more talented than Crosby. Sure, they were all fanboys from B.C., but he really does have alot of skill (no, not more than Crosby), he just needs to find that confidence in his offensive abilities again. He had 1 goal in 61 games last year--how confident would you be? He's a reclamation project, and hopefully they do good work on him--in the AHL. If he doesn't start the year in the AHL I'll eat my hat...if I had one...

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:11 PM
the word*

Just my opinion...

If Schremp makes the club or not it will have more to do with his maturity level than his fitness level.

This goes for Brule as well.

While listening to the question and answer press interviews yesterday, I could not help notice how much Cole sounds like Jason Smith (captain material), and how it was in contrast to how Brule sounded; not a slight, he sounded like at 21 year old.

For instance he, Brule, mentioned how he would like to see some power play time. Thas was a red flag for me i.e. factoring in his offensive production as a professional to this point.

Maybe it's nothing. At least hearing that he wanted to become a good penalty killer gave me hope.

In contrast, both Gagner and Cogliano seem like they already have their heads screwed on right at young ages.

We just sent a load of players out of town and they all had one thing in common, character issues.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:14 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
When listening to the question and answer press interviews yesterday, I could not help notice how much Cole sounds like Jason Smith (captain material), and how it was in contrast to how Brule sounded; not a slight, he sounded like at 21 year old.
He sounded like he had no confidence to me. As I mentioned, after only scoring 1 goal in 61 games last season might do that to a young player like him who expects to make an offensive impact. Make no mistake--he's a project.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
Just my opinion...

If Schremp makes the club or not it will have more to do with his maturity level than his fitness level.

This goes for Brule as well.

While listening to the question and answer press interviews yesterday, I could not help notice how much Cole sounds like Jason Smith (captain material), and how it was in contrast to how Brule sounded; not a slight, he sounded like at 21 year old.

For instance he, Brule, mentioned how he would like to see some power play time. Thas was a red flag for me i.e. factoring in his offensive production as a professional to this point.

Maybe it's nothing. At least hearing that he wanted to become a good penalty killer gave me hope.

In contrast, both Gagner and Cogliano seem like they already have their heads screwed on right at young ages.

We just sent a load of players out of town and they all had one thing in common, character issues.
Well the "fitness level" and maturity go hand in hand.

It's not like Schremp is doing aerobics with Richard Simmons to get fit, he's working out with Chad Moreau and not just going through the motions but really having energy.

Players who aren't as mature don't understand things like putting the time in the weight room or doing some of the other types of training.

They think they can just play a couple of hours of pick up hockey and make the team on skill. That was Schremp 2-3 years ago. You can see his outlook on that has changed completely and that is maturity.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:19 PM
tru_gq

Brule and Omarra both need AHL time this year to work on their games and win back their confidence.

Brule will not make this lineup out of TC.

tru_gq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:26 PM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru_gq View Post
Brule and Omarra both need AHL time this year to work on their games and win back their confidence.

Brule will not make this lineup out of TC.
I think you got it correct. Schremp has put in the MacT time, let's see how it works out for him.

If Brule and Omarra can make it through basic training they will get their shot as well.

Old
07-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Dutch77
Predictable..

Smid is still young and has some kind of trade value. Lubo, Grebeshkov and Gilbert take away Smid's role. I think they need some muscle on the back end now, bringing back Jason Smith perhaps? Assuming he can still offer something

Dutch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2008, 08:39 PM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
...It's not like Schremp is doing aerobics with Richard Simmons to get fit...
lol

Old
07-05-2008, 03:58 AM
Soundwave

BTW in the now infamous Team 1260 Lowe interview, Lowe said the Oilers would be cautious in adding too many forwards because they wanted to make sure there would be space for guys like Robbie Schremp and some other guys.

Another sign I think that the Oilers brass is getting more and more sold on this kid. If he has a good camp, he's in.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
BTW in the now infamous Team 1260 Lowe interview, Lowe said the Oilers would be cautious in adding too many forwards because they wanted to make sure there would be space for guys like Robbie Schremp and some other guys.

Another sign I think that the Oilers brass is getting more and more sold on this kid. If he has a good camp, he's in.
He also said that depending on who's out there, they'd consider it. Although I must say that it's nice to hear Schremp's name coming up first in terms of kids potentially making the team. IIRC he didn't mention Jacques this time around, as he has many times in the past. He mentioned Schremp and then (in no particular order) Brule, Trukhno, and Reddox.

07-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Small Brain Presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
It's pretty ridiculous how some people's lineup forecasts move players all over the ice, from LW to RW, from C to wing. There's a reason they are assigned these positions, it's cause they're more suited to shoot and operate from that side. Cole can't play RW, and Jagr/Hemsky would see a significant decline in their efficiency if one of them were forced to play the LW. Nilsson is one guy who thrives on both the right and left side. It's something you have to admire about the Swedes, they really are dynamic in which side of the ice they can play.

Heading into the pre-season, I imagine Mac-T forecasts:

Cole Horcoff Hemsky
Penner Gagner Nilsson
Moreau Cogliano Pisani
Schremp Brodziak Pouliot

Reasoner fills in when guys like Pouliot and Schremp show inconsistency (I'm sure Marty's going to be re-signed).

Brule is placed in the minors for now, until he shows enough savvy and confidence their to be moved up to the 4th line.

We're essentially developing another "kid line", except rather than toddlers like Gagner and Pouliot, we're going to have potential late bloomers in Pouliot and Schremp.

I'm confused by the "Cole can't play RW" comment. Is that maybe just a typo because that is his position.

Small Brain Presence is offline   Reply With Quote