HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Naslund

Old
07-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
Because Naslund was playing with garbage.
If Naslund came to Edmonton would you become an Oiler fan?

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:52 AM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
If Naslund came to Edmonton would you become an Oiler fan?
Of course, and then I'd start hyping up the Oilers. Naslund with Hemsky would be awesome. Wherever he goes becomes my #2 team.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
4th highest TOI out of forwards playing with a bunch of scrubs half the time. On the 2nd PP unit which many times barely got 30 seconds because the Sedins took up a lot of time (not saying it's a bad thing). And 2nd on the team in goals. Hardly 'failing miserably'. He had more goals than any Oiler player.
No, he never adjusted his game to work within the mid to low slot to get loose pucks. He would have gotten lots more goals if he had grown a pair and went to the net more.

Old
07-03-2008, 12:57 AM
wuzupdawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
Bringing in Naslund will hinder the development of someone else and cost too much money...
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
... For him to actually be effective, you'd need to give him top six minutes. To do that, you would be taking away from younger people who are more vital to the long term success of the Oilers.
Really? Couldn't you argue the same about Jagr and Hossa?

If it's true that a change of scenery could help him put up even marginally better numbers e.g. 80 points --- then isn't that worth it at half the salary KLowe was offering Hossa?

Naslund is a marquee player, and he's entertaining to wacth. He will help keep bums in seats. I can see him doing well on the Horcoff-Hemsky line.

wuzupdawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:02 AM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
No, he never adjusted his game to work within the mid to low slot to get loose pucks. He would have gotten lots more goals if he had grown a pair and went to the net more.
He also never adjusted his game so he could add a couple inches to his height and add another 25 pounds. Oh, he never fought either. He didn't play on the PK either. He also never adjusted to get his speed back from when he was 7 years younger.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Of course, and then I'd start hyping up the Oilers. Naslund with Hemsky would be awesome. Wherever he goes becomes my #2 team.
They would be pretty good.

Although I think he might be a better fit with Gagner-Nilsson. Maybe even Gagner-Penner

Cole-Horcoff-Hemsky - Speed, speed, speed
Naslund-Gagner-Penner - Gagner feathers the passes to Naslund while Penner does the board work
Nilsson-Cogliano-Pisani - Gags/Bobby/Pies was a great line, I think swapping Gags with Cogs would make this line really good
Moreau-Brodziak-whoever - Good energy 4th line.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:06 AM
19nazzy

Quote:

Although I think he might be a better fit with Gagner-Nilsson
That would be interesting. I haven't seen a whole lot of Gagner so I can't really comment on that. I just know that Hemsky is an amazing passer who can seem to put the puck anywhere he wants on the ice. Say what you want about Morrison but he did a good job of that back in the WCE days in Vancouver. And it's something Naslund has been missing over the past couple of seasons.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Spawn

Quote:
That would be interesting. I haven't seen a whole lot of Gagner so I can't really comment on that. I just know that Hemsky is an amazing passer who can seem to put the puck anywhere he wants on the ice. Say what you want about Morrison but he did a good job of that back in the WCE days in Vancouver. And it's something Naslund has been missing over the past couple of seasons.
Gagner has that same sort of elite passing that Hemsky does. They are different kinds of guys, Hemsky will deke out 3 guys in a draw dropping play and then feather an incredible pass.

Gagner just seems to always know where the open guys are. If Naslund can get open in the slot Gagner can get it to him.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
He also never adjusted his game so he could add a couple inches to his height and add another 25 pounds. Oh, he never fought either. He didn't play on the PK either. He also never adjusted to get his speed back from when he was 7 years younger.
...and he never got back that Killer scoring Instinct either. He's a shell of his former self.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:12 AM
19nazzy

Quote:
Gagner has that same sort of elite passing that Hemsky does. They are different kinds of guys, Hemsky will deke out 3 guys in a draw dropping play and then feather an incredible pass.

Gagner just seems to always know where the open guys are. If Naslund can get open in the slot Gagner can get it to him.
I can say that if Naslund was playing with a guy like Gagner/Hemsky he could easily put up 30 goals no questions asked. And he would come at a very reasonable price, probably 3.5 - 4 million. Now that being said, I don't think Naslund goes anywhere else in the NW division because of how long he's been with the Canucks.

Many of Naslund's faults are being overexaggerated because of his contract. If he was making 4 million, you wouldn't have heard 3/4 of the stuff people were saying (And where were they when Naslund was grossly underpaid while being the only player at the time scoring 40 goals back to back to back). But because the team hasn't been all that great, the media and the fans blow everything out of proportion as you guys in Edmonton know all about.

Quote:
...and he never got back that Killer scoring Instinct either. He's a shell of his former self.
Oh yeah he did. 2 games especially come to mind: His hat-trick game vs. Minnesota and his 2 goal game vs. St. Louis.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:

The Oilers would be better off finding someone else other than Naslund that actually has a desire to do what it takes to win. There are other players out there (UFA or trade) that would compliment Gagner better than Naslund would.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:14 AM
Spawn

Quote:
I can say that if Naslund was playing with a guy like Gagner/Hemsky he could easily put up 30 goals no questions asked. And he would come at a very reasonable price, probably 3.5 - 4 million. Now that being said, I don't think Naslund goes anywhere else in the NW division because of how long he's been with the Canucks.

Many of Naslund's faults are being overexaggerated because of his contract. If he was making 4 million, you wouldn't have heard 3/4 of the stuff people were saying (And where were they when Naslund was grossly underpaid while being the only player at the time scoring 40 goals back to back to back). But because the team hasn't been all that great, the media and the fans blow everything out of proportion as you guys in Edmonton know all about.
25 goals 55 points would be enough for me. If all it cost was 3.5-4 on a 2 year deal, than I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:15 AM
19nazzy

Quote:
25 goals 55 points would be enough for me. If all it cost was 3.5-4 on a 2 year deal, than I'd do it in a heartbeat.
If he goes anywhere that has a better supporting cast than Vancouver does, which wouldn't be too difficult, he gets 60-70 points minimum.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:

Oh yeah he did. 2 games especially come to mind: His hat-trick game vs. Minnesota and his 2 goal game vs. St. Louis.
No, Naslund is being dogged because he was never the same player after the first year of the lockout.

I will say this, his game would be much better on an Eastern Conference team where opponents Defensive responsibility is just a suggestion.

Quote:
If he goes anywhere that has a better supporting cast than Vancouver does, which wouldn't be too difficult, he gets 60-70 points minimum.
LMAO

I'm holding on to this quote for a rainy day.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:16 AM
Ice Whole

I would love to have Nazzy. Perfect player that fits on our team. Can be a mentor for the young kids and is a sniper.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:17 AM
19nazzy

Quote:
No, Naslund is being dogged because he was never the same player after the first year of the lockout.
He's being dogged because the media and fans need a scapegoat for the pathetic job of assembling a team that Nonis did. And you're the prime example.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:17 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
He's being dogged because the media and fans need a scapegoat for the pathetic job of assembling a team that Nonis did.
What are you on? I want some. He's being dogged because he didn't lead by example on the ice. He floated around the ice. Should I dig up some of the classic sound bites from this past season via the Team 1040? I've got a whole season's worth of them.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:18 AM
Spawn

Quote:
The Oilers would be better off finding someone else other than Naslund that actually has a desire to do what it takes to win. There are other players out there (UFA or trade) that would compliment Gagner better than Naslund would.
I'd rather the Oilers didn't make any more trades. Time to add something for free. And who could the Oilers add that would better compliment Gagner or Hemsky than Naslund? Other than Jagr, and signing him would force us to give away players, who is out there?

Satan?
Demitra?

Old
07-03-2008, 01:19 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
He's being dogged because the media and fans need a scapegoat for the pathetic job of assembling a team that Nonis did. And you're the prime example.
He's being dogged because of a) his inability to be an even remotely effective captain, b) the fact that his goal totals are slightly higher than half of what they were in 2000-2003, and c) that his point totals have declined each of the last 5 seasons.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:20 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
I'd rather the Oilers didn't make any more trades. Time to add something for free. And who could the Oilers add that would better compliment Gagner or Hemsky than Naslund? Other than Jagr, and signing him would force us to give away players, who is out there?

Satan?
RFA? UFA? Or both.

Teemu Selanne is still out there...

Is Special teams going to be needed PK/PP?

Old
07-03-2008, 01:22 AM
Spawn

Quote:
RFA? UFA? Or both.

UFA

Come on, you really think Selanne would go anywhere other than the Ducks or retire? And considering the guy took 1/2 a year to decide last year, I'm not even sure I want him.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:23 AM
19nazzy

Quote:
RFA? UFA? Or both.

I think it's either Anaheim or retirement for Selanne. At least from what I've read.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

A lot of you comment on Naslunds lack of defence when really he is pretty good defensively. I remember many times last year where he would successfully backcheck to try and get the puck, sometimes he was desperate enough to get the puck so he would try jumping and diving stick first for it. He even ended up crashing into Luongo a few times. As for him going to edmonton, I hope not. But if he did, best for luck and many thanks to him.

Back in 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Rin

Quote:

Although I think he might be a better fit with Gagner-Nilsson. Maybe even Gagner-Penner

Cole-Horcoff-Hemsky - Speed, speed, speed
Naslund-Gagner-Penner - Gagner feathers the passes to Naslund while Penner does the board work
Nilsson-Cogliano-Pisani - Gags/Bobby/Pies was a great line, I think swapping Gags with Cogs would make this line really good
Moreau-Brodziak-whoever - Good energy 4th line.

I like your idea, but I'd change it a bit...

Cole-Horcoff-Hemsky--scoring 1
Naslund-Gagner-Penner--scoring 2
Nilsson-Cogliano-Schremp--butter soft minutes
Moreau-Brodziak-Pisani--shut down

OR if we can sign Peca

Nilsson-Brodziak-Cogliano--scoring 3??
Moreau-Peca-Pisani--true shut down line

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:39 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
I like your idea, but I'd change it a bit...

Nilsson-Cogliano-Schremp--butter soft minutes
Moreau-Brodziak-Pisani--shut down

OR if we can sign Peca

Nilsson-Brodziak-Cogliano--scoring 3??
Moreau-Peca-Pisani--true shut down line
Problem with that is I think a naslund-gagner-penner line would need the soft minutes, and there aren't enough of those to go around to 2 different lines. Put Pisani with Cogliano and Nilsson and you've got a bit more defensive reliability, and Pisani can still add 15 goals.