HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big George headed home?

Old
07-03-2008, 01:00 AM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 785
It is perfect that they are doing this. I know exactly what's going on here. It's not about BG so much as it's about Stortini.

I bet you things are not going well with Stortini negotiations, and so they wanted to line up a second option and play the two against each other. The idea that they wouldn't be interested in BG was based on the fact that re-signing Stortini was a forgone conclusion. But if Stortini doesn't realize that all he's going to get is very close to the league minimum, then it's time to start investigating plan B. I think BG is smart enough to know that a player of their ilk is just lucky to have a minimum wage job in the NHL these days, if Stortini isn't.

This might be a wake up call for Stortini, or it might be something more. Either way, I'm comfortable the Oilers know what they're doing here.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Oilerdiehard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Laraque CAN'T be that guy, because he can't skate well enough to even think about hitting someone quick like Gaborik. Laraque is like a brick on skates... no movement at all.
I totally agree BG does not have a mean bone in his body.

He has said a few times on Stauffer's show he does not like fighting at all and if he can avoid he will (in other words pretty much someone has to challenge him and it has to be a legit heavyweight). He said he only ever wanted to fight and was mad when someone called him out in the papers a couple of times.

I am sure it would be just like before. The non-goons know they can run our guys because BG is not going to come after them. It happened many times his last season here from guys like Gauthier, Ruutu, Bryan Allen, Marchment etc... etc... Do not challenge the big guy straight out and you have nothing to worry about. Go about your business and run whomever you like.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:04 AM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
It is perfect that they are doing this. I know exactly what's going on here. It's not about BG so much as it's about Stortini.

I bet you things are not going well with Stortini negotiations, and so they wanted to line up a second option and play the two against each other. The idea that they wouldn't be interested in BG was based on the fact that re-signing Stortini was a forgone conclusion. But if Stortini doesn't realize that all he's going to get is very close to the league minimum, then it's time to start investigating plan B. I think BG is smart enough to know that a player of their ilk is just lucky to have a minimum wage job in the NHL these days, if Stortini isn't.

This might be a wake up call for Stortini, or it might be something more. Either way, I'm comfortable the Oilers know what they're doing here.
Good call, I wonder what kind of leverage Storts thinks he has in the negotiations. Maybe GQ or Calvin Klein made him a offer he cant refuse

nabob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Bryanbryoil

Pick up Laraque for $500,000 - $750,000 and tell Stortini to piss off with his $1 million demand. Then only play Georges in rivalry games. If he's cool with that, fine, if he wants to play 82 games??? Take a hike.

Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarby View Post
Gusher, get a laraque mock up!
Why, I'm bringing good luck with Jagr.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McJeetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
Beat me to it! Speedster.

I don't like the idea of this. George is a great guy don't get me wrong but he does not play his role properly. I also saw an interview with him in the playoffs and he actually said he doesn't like to fight.
After being traded to 2 different teams and an ultimatum from Pits last summer, Laraque really stepped up his game his second year in Pits. He put aside his distractions and committed to being a better hockey player and a more committed enforcer. He had 141 PIM in 72 games which was the most he had since 2001 (before he thought he was a hockey player).

Last year he wouldn't have been a good pickup. This year he would be. Currently MacT could put him on the ice to 'protect and to serve' without him needing him score because we already have 2 Power FWDS in Penner and Cole. IF MacT lets him do his job.

Stortini (future super pest and a great +/-) AND Laraque (Toughest SOB in th NHL and has always been a good +/-) vs Calgary and Minny

Personally i like this move. Edmonton's prodical son returns.

Penner Horc Hemmer
Cole Gagner Laraque
Nilsson Cogliano Pisani
Moreau Brodziak Stortini
Pouliot/Shremp

or the pipe dream...

Jagr Horc Hemmer
Cole Gagner Penner
Cogliano Nilsson Shremp
Moreau Brodziak Pisani
Pouliot/Stortini or Laraque

That is a great combination of muscle and scoring IMO. Big George might even match his career high 13 goals

Last edited by McJeetz: 07-03-2008 at 01:30 AM.
McJeetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:06 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:

I don't necessarily agree, I think Storts would be pretty eay to resign, he's not really at any risk to bolt. However, it's tough to know how much salary you'll have if you aren't sure if you'll be able to add another top-6 forward (Hossa before today, someone else after today), and even signing him for, say, 900K might not be wise until you know if you'll need to move salary.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:07 AM
PunjabiOil*

Laraque does a fairly good job of drawing penalties, and keeping the goals against down. I'm positive he'd be willing to take a paycut (800-900K?). The question is, do you want him or Stortini? I don't think you can have both.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I totally agree BG does not have a mean bone in his body.

He has said a few times on Stauffer's show he does not like fighting at all and if he can avoid he will (in other words pretty much someone has to challenge him and it has to be a legit heavyweight). He said he only ever wanted to fight and was mad when someone called him out in the papers a couple of times.

I am sure it would be just like before. The non-goons know they can run our guys because BG is not going to come after them. It happened many times his last season here from guys like Gauthier, Ruutu, Bryan Allen, Marchment etc... etc... Do not challenge the big guy straight out and you have nothing to worry about. Go about your business and run whomever you like.
Guys like Moreau, Souray, and possibly Peckham would answer the bell. Peckham would be a PERFECT light heavyweight. he'd whup guys like Avery's ***. If we could put Peckham's mean streak in Laraque's body

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
Laraque does a fairly good job of drawing penalties, and keeping the goals against down. I'm positive he'd be willing to take a paycut (800-900K?). The question is, do you want him or Stortini? I don't think you can have both.
Yes I agree you can only have one of them and not both. Having two guys that skate like that and handle the puck like that in open ice is a disaster waiting to happen every shift.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Spawn

Quote:
I think you can have both, you just can't play both. I don't really want Laraque, but if we did get him, than I agree that they both couldn't be in the lineup.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:15 AM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCommie View Post
I don't necessarily agree, I think Storts would be pretty eay to resign, he's not really at any risk to bolt. However, it's tough to know how much salary you'll have if you aren't sure if you'll be able to add another top-6 forward (Hossa before today, someone else after today), and even signing him for, say, 900K might not be wise until you know if you'll need to move salary.
Last I heard, he was asking for too much and that is why he has yet to be re-signed. It's not like having an enforcer is optional, even if you get Hossa or another top 6 forward, the guy coming out of the lineup is going to be one of the skill players.

So until I hear otherwise, I'm more inclined to believe it's Stortini holding out rather than the Oilers. There's 1 enforcer spot that has to be filled on this small player stocked team, and with BG in the mix there are now 2 players competing to fill it. I like it.

Oh, and despite all the bad mouthing you might read here, BG can hit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OI4YnnrTqk&NR=1

He's not going to lead the team like Stoll, but also unlike Stoll when he does hit you, he's not doing it for the stat sheet, he's doing it to punish you physically.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:16 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:25 AM
Asiaoil

I'll take both BG and Stortini and play each guy about 40 games to keep them "interested". BG gets the heavyweight matchups (Calgary and Minny) while Stortini get the middleweights. I'd rather have an extra elite fighter or pest as the 23rd guy than a useless forward who has one foot in the AHL.

Asiaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:25 AM
NMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk7 View Post
Why? Stortini might be the worst enforcer in the league won't drop the gloves with anyone bigger then him (went to the wild game and anytime Boogard went near him, he either turtled or ran back to the bench). At least Georges is still a decent fighter.
Were you at the game where Stortini actually challenged Boogaard? He's not a heavyweight, but at least he is willing to stick up for teamates, agitate things when he has to and he knows his role very well.

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:26 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:

Oh, and despite all the bad mouthing you might read here, BG can hit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OI4YnnrTqk&NR=1
He can when he actually gets there in time. There have been more bruised boards in the league from BG than anyone. He always gets there just a few seconds too late and the opposing player is skating away free and clear while he throws himself into the boards.

George was 190th in the league last year for most hits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil View Post
I'll take both BG and Stortini and play each guy about 40 games to keep them "interested". BG gets the heavyweight matchups (Calgary and Minny) while Stortini get the middleweights. I'd rather have an extra elite fighter or pest as the 23rd guy than a useless forward who has one foot in the AHL.
One report had Storts asking for 1 million a year. I am sure BG gets that as well. That could be close to 2 million you are rotating in and out of the press box every other game and playing 5 minutes a game.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:27 AM
420ilerBuzz*

Send a message via Skype™ to 420ilerBuzz*
Quote:
IF it's true that Stortini wants a million... I'll take Laraque.

420ilerBuzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:30 AM
AVE MAN

what people dont realize is George doesnt have to fight to make opposing teams honest. Prime example is when he came to Edmonton. He said Stortini wouldnt get away with yapping at Crosby and not fighting. Stortini didnt open his mouth.

Ive never seen a goon punch our goalie in the face when George was here.

AVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:31 AM
Asher

I want an enforcer on this team. While BG would not be my first chioce, I'd take him over nothing. Who knows, maybe being away a couple of years will make BG realize that he needs to play his role (ie. fight) to be effective (probably not though).

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:41 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN View Post
what people dont realize is George doesnt have to fight to make opposing teams honest. Prime example is when he came to Edmonton. He said Stortini wouldnt get away with yapping at Crosby and not fighting. Stortini didnt open his mouth.

Ive never seen a goon punch our goalie in the face when George was here.
What I do realize is the last season he was here we did get run a bunch. I would say maybe you will not get any goons running you but they are rarely the ones who do it anyway.

Using when he came to Edmonton is a bad example. He was all hyped up to try and show us up. Does he do that crap game in and game out? Oh hell no. His last season here Marchment ran Hemmer's knees 3 times over 2 games played against the Flames a week apart. Jovo cross checked Hemsky (who was down on his knees) in the face that year after the whistle. Bryan Allen, Ruutu, Blake all ran Hemmer a number of times. Avery ran around on us. Hordichuk even ran around on us one game. Guess what happened to them back then? The correct answer is nothing.

The Coyotes fans complained of the same thing on their boards. The Pens coach has called out BG for not protecting Crosby and others in the past.

Old
07-03-2008, 01:47 AM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Pick up Laraque for $500,000 - $750,000 and tell Stortini to piss off with his $1 million demand. Then only play Georges in rivalry games. If he's cool with that, fine, if he wants to play 82 games??? Take a hike.
Sorry, where/when did Stortini make a million dollar demand?

victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:51 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
Sorry, where/when did Stortini make a million dollar demand?
According to Stauffer he's looking for $1 million.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 02:10 AM
hfboardsuser

According to Gregor at the end of Just a Game tonight:

-"7-8 teams" in the hunt
-Laraque looking for $1M-1.3M
-Edmonton in the mix

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 02:17 AM
OILFAN #81

I'd be in the camp of i'd welcome him back if the price was right. I'd take him over Stortini. Laraque brings that intimidation factor to any team he plays for. A lot of people(rightfully so) don't want to mess with BG. BG could "police" guys from taking runs at our top players (in particular Hemsky). Guys like Regehr have their way with Hemsky (some clean hits, some dirty plays) and then they'd have to answer to Big Georges! I definately wouldn't mind him around 750 K or so.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:39 AM
Nail and Nuge

I would have preferred Jody Shelley. A mean SOB that is non-discriminating in who he goes after. Big Georges has that undesirable character flaw of feeling a sense of duty to beat on fellows of equal size.

I, for one, always felt humiliated after Stortini went after the opposing team's tough guy, threw one or two wayward punches and then came in tight for the real thing. Huggy bear time.

Hard having an enforcer who's most devastating move is the uncomfortably-long man hug.

Big Georges would be great for this team if he managed to light a fire under those size 14 skates. That kid line sure would play better if they knew that anyone taking liberties with their lack of size had to answer BG on the next shift.

Nail and Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote