HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Lowe's inactivity

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2004, 09:15 PM
windowlicker

vCash: 500
Kevin Lowe's inactivity

Im downright pissed off that the Only major move this club has made since everything began to spiral down the toilet is trading Peter Sarno for Tyler Moss. Also, this trade was made out of necessity, not out of a need to improve the club. As a fan, I expect my GM to live up to his word. He said the goal this season was make the post season. "This season is not a write-off". The first half showed us that its probably not gonna happen with the current line-up. What would make him think then that thesame lineup could somehow pull it off in the 2nd half?

This, mixed in with MacT's inability to comprehend that not all offensive players can play the role of a plugger, or keep producing when they are surrounded by pluggers, or the fact that this team is trying to get through an entire season without a #1 Center, #1 Powerplay Qback, a Powerplay unit, a powerplay system, a first line, defined goaltending situation or an actual coaching system, is making this seem like its 94' or 95' all over again, a time when the playoffs were a pipedream.

Horrible perfomance after horrible perfomance, shocking loss after shocking loss, uninspired play followed by a physical, emotional effort followed by an emotional let down followed by a nice try with the wrong end result. This formula is getting old and unfunny as time passes.

As it stands now, were 8 points out of being in thesame miserable position as were used to. A spirited tilt with a top ranking team, followed by an exit in 5 or 6 games, followed by the opposing players mentioning how "hard" Edmonton played them, how loud Edmonton fans get, and how they would not want to meet them in the 1st round again next year (blah...blah....blah..)

Were not even there. And theres a good 82% chance we wont get there.
No, as it stands now, Lowe has refused to make this club better, or just make a medium level trade to shake up something, ANYTHING. (I like Ulanov, but not even a fan of his could have predicted just how well this would have worked out. Ill go out on a limb and say Lowe didnt either.)
And MacT will keep enjoying his total dominion over this team and how it plays......and then have the balls to say this is "Oilers Hockey". (Yeah... Lets play "Run & Gun" with pluggers.... Brilliant)

As a long time fan, I am severely disenchated with this team right now, and it looks like Lowe is willing to ride this season out, both eyes fixed on the Armageddon of '04 (or Canadas player selection for the World Hockey Championships), letting the 2003/04 edition of the Edmonton Oilers sail into the sunset.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:25 PM
Lowetide

I don't really have a problem with what's being done now, just with the spin. If the Oilers have decided that the price for help was too much of the future, then that's okay, I understand.

But when management keeps altering the post game talking points (btw, we're now down to "going .500 until we get healthy, then getting on an .800 roll after that") instead of being honest with the fanbase, it fails to ring true.

Flush the season, play Rita, play Bergeron, play Salmelainen. Find out about these players so you know what the organization needs next time.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:35 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I don't really have a problem with what's being done now, just with the spin. If the Oilers have decided that the price for help was too much of the future, then that's okay, I understand.

But when management keeps altering the post game talking points (btw, we're now down to "going .500 until we get healthy, then getting on an .800 roll after that") instead of being honest with the fanbase, it fails to ring true.

Flush the season, play Rita, play Bergeron, play Salmelainen. Find out about these players so you know what the organization needs next time.
What do you propose? The management/coaching staff go out and say we are done this year? The team owes the fans a battle where they won't go down without kicking and screaming.

Windowlicker, how important are the playoffs this year? Is it worth trading Hemsky for Zhamnov or Pouliot for Cassells? There are certain needs this team has, and quite frankly they'll need to either trade for them or develop them.

Trading for them requires resources. Resources the Oilers don't seem to be willing to part with. The idea this year was the same as every other year... get a little younger, get into the playoffs and hope to make a little noise. Well not everything goes as planned, and the long term plan is certainly what you stick to.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:36 PM
gretzky2kurri

The one serious problem I have with Kevin Lowe is...................his blind love for that BOZO with the curly hair behind the bench.

And THAT makes me question alot of things about him nowadays.

WHERE'S YOUR HEAD MAN!

He's the wrong coach for this team.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
What do you propose? The management/coaching staff go out and say we are done this year? The team owes the fans a battle where they won't go down without kicking and screaming.
I propose that they give the fanbase a little credit for being able to read the standings. MacT sounds like he's on heroin in the post game now, choking on "we need to get on a roll" (g2k credit) talk.

The Oilers are pooched! Screwed! Do you think fans are honestly holding out hope? Everyone I talk to is completely distressed with the special teams, Salo, damn near everything but York and he's hurt.

imo, a 20 game run with Hemsky, Rita, Torres and Salmelainen getting top 2 line minutes while the other wingers chip in on the wings would be a pretty solid idea. You can ask speeds, I'm not one to suggest flushing the season.

But a comeback this season is very unlikely for a healthy team with guns blazing.

The Oilers are banged up, and are out of ammunition.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:53 PM
windowlicker

Quote:

Thats exactly right. If your gonna try for the playoffs, then DO so. Make a move that screams "This season is not dead yet". Im happy with the Comrie return, but it doesnt exactly scream "immediate dividends". And as a GM, youre willing to turn the page on this season, then play the youngsters( Pisani & Horcoff dont count). Give Bergeron more PP time (Rafalski wasnt a stalwart on defensive defence during his humble beginnings in New Jersey either), play Rita and Salmo, play Hemsky like an offensive player, not a 3rd line penalty killer. And play the youth the way an expanstion team coach would, not the way MacT has shown night after night.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
This, mixed in with MacT's inability to comprehend that not all offensive players can play the role of a plugger, or keep producing when they are surrounded by pluggers, or the fact that this team is trying to get through an entire season without a #1 Center, #1 Powerplay Qback, a Powerplay unit, a powerplay system, a first line, defined goaltending situation or an actual coaching system, is making this seem like its 94' or 95' all over again, a time when the playoffs were a pipedream.
Again, another long post, but no actual suggestions to improve. Who would you want for #1 centre, or powerplay quarterback, or whoever? And who would you give up? Dawgbone hit the nail on the head.

Anyway, to me this doesn't feel like '94 or '95 at all. It feels like 2001-02: barely missing out on the playoffs, but just as good a chance to make them next year. A lot of people are acting like this season is the end of the world. I guess I just don't see it that way, and having an eye on the future should mean as much or even more.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:59 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
I propose that they give the fanbase a little credit for being able to read the standings. MacT sounds like he's on heroin in the post game now, choking on "we need to get on a roll" (g2k credit) talk.

The Oilers are pooched! Screwed! Do you think fans are honestly holding out hope? Everyone I talk to is completely distressed with the special teams, Salo, damn near everything but York and he's hurt.

imo, a 20 game run with Hemsky, Rita, Torres and Salmelainen getting top 2 line minutes while the other wingers chip in on the wings would be a pretty solid idea. You can ask speeds, I'm not one to suggest flushing the season.

But a comeback this season is very unlikely for a healthy team with guns blazing.

So that means quit?

When things are a little rough, you might as well pack it in because there is no hope for anything different.

I'm not really sure if that's the attitude you want to portray. I mean look at some of the teams we are chasing.

St. Louis - who are falling like a rock recently, and who don't seem close to turning it around.

L.A. - they have already had one 16 game winless streak, and may either completely fall apart, or group together for a great stretch run... both are likely.

Dallas - they can't win on the road to save their lives, and have been up and down all season.

These teams aren't a lock by any means.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:05 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
When things are a little rough, you might as well pack it in because there is no hope for anything different.

I'm not really sure if that's the attitude you want to portray.
Well, I'm not suggesting they play without sticks or anything. dawgbone, you do realize that the way things are going now the Oilers have an outside shot at the lottery?

I'm on record as hoping they flush the season. I was hoping they'd pull the plug, play the kids, and get a really good pick.

Turns out, they're going to get a really good pick anyway. Seems like a shame to let this opportunity to see Rita play as a 20 game regular pass by because MacT can't bear to lose.

He's already lost.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:05 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Again, another long post, but no actual suggestions to improve. Who would you want for #1 centre, or powerplay quarterback, or whoever? And who would you give up? Dawgbone hit the nail on the head.

Anyway, to me this doesn't feel like '94 or '95 at all. It feels like 2001-02: barely missing out on the playoffs, but just as good a chance to make them next year. A lot of people are acting like this season is the end of the world. I guess I just don't see it that way, and having an eye on the future should mean as much or even more.
Do you remember 2001/2002? Do you remember the way this team burned rubber near the end? That team finished with the highest point total for a non-playoff team in NHL history. The only reason we missed it was due to the anomaly of ALL the teams in front of us getting ridiculously hot, and picking up points everywhere (I specifically remember Vancouver/LA overtime win)
No, that year was an utter shock to miss the playoffs, a last minute nail biter. This year I can see it coming a mile away.

Plus, ..what would I suggest as a change for this team? An upgrade? A positive "shake-up"? Im not sure, I have a full time job, and not alot of time to sift through rosters, call other teams Reps and see whats on the table. But we do have someone who gets paid to do Just that 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Oh, and Im not too thrilled with the coach(ing) either.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Do you remember 2001/2002? Do you remember the way this team burned rubber near the end? That team finished with the highest point total for a non-playoff team in NHL history. The only reason we missed it was due to the anomaly of ALL the teams in front of us getting ridiculously hot, and picking up points everywhere (I specifically remember Vancouver/LA overtime win)
No, that year was an utter shock to miss the playoffs, a last minute nail biter. This year I can see it coming a mile away.
Bottom line - they missed the playoffs. They sucked it up and made them the following year.

Quote:
Plus, ..what would I suggest as a change for this team? An upgrade? A positive "shake-up"? Im not sure, I have a full time job, and not alot of time to sift through rosters, call other teams Reps and see whats on the table. But we do have someone who gets paid to do Just that 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
I think this assumption that's going around is false. How do we even know Lowe's not trying to improve the team? Gawd, if you were the GM of another team, would you take any Oilers after the way they've played this year? No, and Lowe won't trade the ones who've played well.

It's just that I doubt any trade talks are going to take off when they start with Lowe saying, "Hey, listen. I've got Chimera, Horcoff, Pisani, Laraque, Ferguson, Salo, and maybe even Jason Smith available. All I need in return is a good starting goalie, an excellent young, cheap, big, number one centre, and an awesome power play quarterback. Now what can you do for me?"

Otherwise, all you're getting in return is 3rd/4th liners. And I can't see any more of them getting this team into the playoffs.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Mizral

Quote:

I said it in the 1st of the Nashville game. The Oilers playoff hopes went out the window with the first period of that game.

Why? Well, I'm one to hold on to hope until very late, but the fact they came out with ZERO intensity in a game like that made me realize this team no longer has a shot.

So, anyways, with that in mind, how about your suggestion? It doesn't seem to bad, but I do have one kind of major problem with it:

What kind of message does that send to the guys who are playing better than them? Outside of Torres and maybe Hemsky, Rita and Salmelainnen do not deserve minutes ahead of Moreau, Pisani, Stoll, or even Horcoff. Giving it to them would send a bad message in my mind. Sort of a, 'You don't have to earn your minutes here' message. 'You don't have to work hard for rewards. You just get them when we feel like giving them to you'. I think that's a very dangerous thing.

Lowetide, while I think we are both in agreement that Salmelainnen deserves a shot, and has deserved one for a while now, I cannot for the life of me imagine how Rita somehow deserves a shot over guys like Stoll, Horcoff, or Pisani. Yes, he hasn't had a great shot at the NHL this season, but he isn't exactly lighting up the AHL either (his stats are good, not great). Salmelainnen has been working so hard in getting his points, whereas Rita seems to get by more on talent than hard work. And it's a pretty dangerous thing to do for a franchise when you start rewarding guys for their talents instead of for their hard work.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

1. What kind of message does that send to the guys who are playing better than them?

2. Lowetide, while I think we are both in agreement that Salmelainnen deserves a shot, and has deserved one for a while now, I cannot for the life of me imagine how Rita somehow deserves a shot over guys like Stoll, Horcoff, or Pisani.

1. The only guy playing well enough to ***** is Dvorak. If Isbister and Smyth get pissed, good. Maybe they can use that on the pk duty they'll be getting the last 20. As for Dvorak, well maybe Salmelainen plays on the 4line but with plenty of minutes.

2. I agree Rita has never really done enough to force the issue, but on the other hand the next 20 games are an ideal opportunity to see what he can do. This organization is on the verge of throwing some nice players overboard because they don't have room. I still think Chimera will have a career, and although I'm not sure about Rita, what can giving him 20 games on the 2line hurt?

They have already invested a #1 pick in him. Might as well take him out for a spin. If he shows enough, then sign him. If not, at least he's had enough exposure to warrant a return from another team.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:37 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
What kind of message does that send to the guys who are playing better than them? Outside of Torres and maybe Hemsky, Rita and Salmelainnen do not deserve minutes ahead of Moreau, Pisani, Stoll, or even Horcoff. Giving it to them would send a bad message in my mind. Sort of a, 'You don't have to earn your minutes here' message. 'You don't have to work hard for rewards. You just get them when we feel like giving them to you'. I think that's a very dangerous thing.

So far, giving the minutes to the guys who "supposedly" deserve them has gotten us this far. What else is there? What else can be done?

Old
02-17-2004, 10:38 PM
Mizral

Lowetide,

Haven't they been taking 'Rita out for a spin' all year in Hamilton? And all last year? He still hasn't 'broken out' down there, and you'd think that guys like Rita would have to bust open to be sent up.

It's a similar issue with us in Vancouver with Fedor Fedorov. Some fans want to see Fedor called up. However, is that really fair to Brandon Reid and the rest, that Fedor Fedorov gets called up based on his skill, when he really hasn't 'broken out' down there, or really pushed the envelope with his work ethic?

I don't think can 'force it'. Playing Rita in the NHL I don't think is suddenly going to make him a better player. Let him play out the rest of the year in the AHL and if the management think they have enough coin to resign him to another 2-way contract, and he agrees, do so. See what he does in camp. But I don't think bringing a guy up when he really hasn't done anythign to deserve it helps the situation.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:40 PM
Mizral

Quote:
So far, giving the minutes to the guys who "supposedly" deserve them has gotten us this far. What else is there? What else can be done?
Problem with that, windowlicker, is you make the mistaken impression that where the Oilers now is 'rock bottom'.

Not even close. There is a long ways to go if you want to venture there. Look what playing guys like Rita (good AHL'ers) in the NHL has done to Pittsburgh?

Make him earn it. He'll sink or swim, but that's the best way to make him an NHL player.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:49 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Problem with that, windowlicker, is you make the mistaken impression that where the Oilers now is 'rock bottom'.

Not even close. There is a long ways to go if you want to venture there. Look what playing guys like Rita (good AHL'ers) in the NHL has done to Pittsburgh?

Make him earn it. He'll sink or swim, but that's the best way to make him an NHL player.
So then, youre saying keep giving the minutes to the guys who so far have gotten this team to the spot its in? Im against giving ice-time to someone simply because theyre there (Comrie comes to mind), but a shake-up is needed. I cant sit through another game of hard work by Horcoff, Pisani or Chimera that produces a close loss. Something on this team right now has to change. May it be a trade, ice-time for former or current top prospects, or an all-out youth movement or playoff push. You cant have little of both.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:49 PM
Asiaoil

Some years a lot of things go right – some years everything goes wrong – this is a year from hell – it happens. What we do have though is one hell of a lot of chips to use in aquiring a couple of key guys - and I expect Lowe to "make it so".

With the guys we have available we should be able to pick up a decent young goalie. Hell the Philly first rounder we got for Comrie should be MORE than enough to pick up a guy like Biron. A Biron - Conks tandem is fine by me until JDD is ready.

That leaves us with Smith/Laraque which I would parlay into a guy like Lang (maybe throw in Horcoff or a 2nd/3rd round pick as well). This deal would give our young guys (Niniimaki and MAP) 2 years to mature. With Smith, Laraque, Oates and Salo off the payroll we CAN afford Lang.

Salo goes to Colorado for the 2nd/3rd round pick we flip to Washington for Lang and we trade Oates along with him for whatever.

As for the PP QB – well I would start using York and Hemsky on the point with the best of our existing dmen. I think that Lynch and Woywitka may eventually be decent on the PP so I would not get carried away spending resources to get another dman right now. We addressed that need in the Comrie trade.

So out the door goes: Smith, Laraque, Salo, Oates, Fergy, Horcoff
In comes: Lang, Biron

Smyth Lang Dvorak
Torres York Isbister/Hemsky
Moreau Reasoner Rita
Chimera Stoll Isbister/Hemsky

Brew Staios
Semi Ulanov
Cross Woywitka/Lynch

Biron / Conks

So we have Smith, Laraque, Salo, Oates, Fergy, Horcoff and a first round draft pick to turn into Lang and Biron – and I think that is way more than enough to accomplish that

Old
02-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Lowetide,

Haven't they been taking 'Rita out for a spin' all year in Hamilton? And all last year? He still hasn't 'broken out' down there, and you'd think that guys like Rita would have to bust open to be sent up.

*snip*

I don't think can 'force it'. Playing Rita in the NHL I don't think is suddenly going to make him a better player. Let him play out the rest of the year in the AHL and if the management think they have enough coin to resign him to another 2-way contract, and he agrees, do so. See what he does in camp. But I don't think bringing a guy up when he really hasn't done anythign to deserve it helps the situation.
Rita's not expected to break out down there, the Oilers were happy with his offensive skills last season. He was sent down there to work on his defensive game.

He has been #1 or #2 all season long in +/- and has been one of the top scorers despite two injuries.

On a team as deep as the Oilers are at lw there's no way that JR's shown enough to bump Smyth, Izzy, Moreau, Chimera or Torres, but he's a 6th lw that's good enough to be a #4 or #5. By contrast we have less than 4 nhl calibre centers - hence the need for some player movement.

Obviously the players that the Oil want to move least of all are the ones with the most value, but there's literally no point going into another season with the strongest, deepest bunch of lw's in nhl history and only 3 centers. Someone should have been a long time ago,

Old
02-17-2004, 11:26 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Lowetide,

It's a similar issue with us in Vancouver with Fedor Fedorov. Some fans want to see Fedor called up. However, is that really fair to Brandon Reid and the rest, that Fedor Fedorov gets called up based on his skill, when he really hasn't 'broken out' down there, or really pushed the envelope with his work ethic?

I'm pretty sure Rita will have to clear waivers to be sent down next year. So it's either a one way contract, a trade, or he's back to Europe. We need to play him to see if he's worth a one way contract.

Last edited by The Rage: 02-18-2004 at 01:32 AM.
Old
02-17-2004, 11:49 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I'm pretty sure Rita will have to clear waivers to be sent down next year. So it's either a one way contract, a trade, or he's bacl to Europe. We need to play him to see if he's worth a one way contract.
I don't think that sending him back to Europe or giving him a one-way contract gets him out of clearing waivers, does it? My understanding is that he's an Oiler or on waivers from the beginning of next season forward.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:38 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
I don't think that sending him back to Europe or giving him a one-way contract gets him out of clearing waivers, does it? My understanding is that he's an Oiler or on waivers from the beginning of next season forward.
Well, he'd have to be protected in the waiver draft, but the Oilers have never had problems with that because they're a young team. You can still protect players in Europe (I'm not sure if that's what you mean). The problem is, he can not be sent down without clearing waivers. If he's sent down, and he has a one way contract, he can be picked up on waivers, but players on one way deals rarely get sent down, and the ones who do are usually not worth picking up. So basically, the choice is pretty much what I said (although there are some other unlikely scenarios).

Old
02-18-2004, 01:47 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
If he's sent down, and he has a one way contract, he can be picked up on waivers, but players on one way deals rarely get sent down, and the ones who do are usually not worth picking up.
If he's played enough pro games (or however it works), he'll have to clear waivers with either a one-way or two-way contract.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:51 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
If he's played enough pro games (or however it works), he'll have to clear waivers with either a one-way or two-way contract.
Yeah, I know. I only mentioned the one way contract because Oi'll say was saying how you still need to clear waivers if you're on a one way contract (which is true, but few players with one way contracts are put in that position).

Old
02-18-2004, 01:53 AM
kruezer

I don't know, but if the Oilers can somehow convince Clarke to give up Handzus, I'd be all over that deal (almost) no matter what is given up, big, solid offensively, solid defensively, him and York as 1/2 centers (sort of a plutoon if thats how you want to look at it) would be solid for years to come in my opinion, the Oilers have the depth at the wings to do it. Then decide if Brewer is the No.1 D or not. And go from there.

Closed Thread