HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chances of an Offer Sheet?

Old
07-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

vCash: 500
Why not? RFA are free agents too, so why not go for them to make your team better.

i see no reason why not to get PMB. He's a solid Winger or centre, and constantly gets 50-60 points a year. A very good set up man, he should boost you guys up.

Besides, you'll be saving more cap room with PMB

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:19 AM
hockey_nut

if we gotta pay him big bucks and give up 3, 4 or 5 first-rounders, i'd rather take a chance and go after Jay Bouwmeester

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:30 AM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
yes, with our prospect deep, i concur signing Pm Bouchard is a good idea.

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:49 AM
revin5*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Is a defensive type player, we have a dime a dozen of those.
Vermette is a defensive player? You need to pay more attention to Ottawa. He's a player they might end up mishandling as badly as they did Havlat.

revin5* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:55 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by revin5 View Post
Vermette is a defensive player? You need to pay more attention to Ottawa. He's a player they might end up mishandling as badly as they did Havlat.
Vermette is a french version of higgins

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 02:31 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Difference in Perry and Pierre-Marc Bouchard is that Perry is a RW and Pierre is a Centre...what we are seeking.

Pierre-Marc Bouchard is only 24 and has averaged about 60 points per season in a very defensive minded system. With players like Tanguay on his wing he could be a point per game guy, I don't know if Perry will be that. Getzlaf yes, but Perry I am not too sure about.

I think Pierre-Marc Bouchard maybe worth the risk of some picks, prospects or whatever. We are deep in players and prospects, with that depth such signings allow you to do things like this.
Did you just compare Bouchard to Corey Perry?

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 02:50 AM
sandman08

the only rfa that really, really interests me is jay bouwmeister as hockey_nut mentioned.

adding j-bo to our top 4 would be amazing heh.

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 03:16 AM
Tusk

Quote:
Would any of you object Gainey making an offer sheet to one of the up and coming centre's in the NHL in Pierre-Marc Bouchard?

He is very young, very skilled and is a Quebecor.

Think it could happen, would you mind if it did?
But we'd have to sign him to a contract that Minnesota wouldn't match, so on top of throwing off the teams salary structure by making him a 6 million dollar player on a long term deal, we'd also have to give up 2 1st's, a 2nd, and a 3rd, not to mention how much of this team is up for new contracts after next season. You think Gainey will blow up his plan and effort and years of finally getting some talent back in this team for him? I don't think he even really plays center either. If we're gonna sacrifice that much to get a player, we should go for one that has size and plays with an edge too. I think he's a good player, but a 5'10, 175lb winger is not what's needed.

It just seems like such a thoughtless idea.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:28 AM
dre2112

If PMB wasn't a quebecer hardly anyone would know him. The OP is saying we should get rid of Koivu to make room for guys like Naslund and Demitra?? Maybe we can get rid of Plekanec and Komisarek and replace them with Mini-me and Wee-Man as well if going small and soft is the trend

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:00 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I don't think Bouchard is an upgrade to Koivu. And it's what we want, right? Somebody that can do things that Saku cannot do so we can have a a first line with a big center. Given that PM doesn't fullfill those criterias I would pass. I would rather give an offer sheet to Steve Bernier instead.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Habs _Fan

Vermette is my man!!! 20+ goals, 50+ points and he almost never played in PP

8 years, 32M$

Habs _Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:26 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Would any of you object Gainey making an offer sheet to one of the up and coming centre's in the NHL in Pierre-Marc Bouchard?

Just what we need, another midget. Pass.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Nah.

If I was Gainey I'd rather just work out a trade with some prospects.

O'Byrne and Chipchura and/or White would fit in well with Minnesota.
Dude,

Now that we lost Streit, you can bet that Obyrne isnt going anywhere...

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:49 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Doesn't seem like Gainey's style, and I am glad, I'd be pissed if the Habs tried to sign an RFA. So far it doesn't look like it's worked out too well. That Vanek deal, yikes.

Also I wouldn't have any interest in Bouchard, skilled player for sure but not what we need imo. We have playmakers to boot on this team, we need more finishers and I'd love to see us get more grit. Come playoff time, Bouchard imo is not really the kind of player the Habs should target.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdHC View Post
If PMB wasn't a quebecer hardly anyone would know him. The OP is saying we should get rid of Koivu to make room for guys like Naslund and Demitra?? Maybe we can get rid of Plekanec and Komisarek and replace them with Mini-me and Wee-Man as well if going small and soft is the trend
Evidently if PMB wasn't a quebecer, that type of comment would not have been made.....Only 3 seasons of around 60ish points in a great offensive system that runs Jacques Lemaire.....Just bench the guy.....

Having said that, I would want to be much bigger at center but since nobody will trade us what EVERYBODY wants, we need to draft them...Hope it will be addressed in the future drafts......like real soon.....let's addressed it like we addressed the d-men depth problem....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:01 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Evidently if PMB wasn't a quebecer, that type of comment would not have been made.....Only 3 seasons of around 60ish points in a great offensive system that runs Jacques Lemaire.....Just bench the guy.....

Having said that, I would want to be much bigger at center but since nobody will trade us what EVERYBODY wants, we need to draft them...Hope it will be addressed in the future drafts......like real soon.....let's addressed it like we addressed the d-men depth problem....
Exactly and the 2008 draft wasnt the year to do that in terms of talent(barely any top 6 players). What we need are top 6 centers with size(and good skating), since we do have plenty of bottom 6 options with size in the system.(Fortier, White, Chipchura, Lapierre)

@next year draft: Lookout!

And lets not forget Maxwell is a size upgrade over the 3 guys in front of him. (Koivu, Turtlenec and Grabovski)

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I don't think Bouchard is an upgrade to Koivu. And it's what we want, right? Somebody that can do things that Saku cannot do so we can have a a first line with a big center. Given that PM doesn't fullfill those criterias I would pass. I would rather give an offer sheet to Steve Bernier instead.
I actually think that we are ok at no1 and no2 center with Plekanek and Koivu... Its number 3 that we need now. Yes if we had an upgrade over these two it would be good but the have an equally good version of these two at number 3 would put us in a very hard to beat situation....

I would certainly send an offersheet for Antoine Vermette 5Y 22M Offer. Yes its a lot but this guy would be a perfect fit for our team. He is fast, he wins face offs, he has tons of post season experience for his age and would look pretty good IMO with Higgins on his wing.

It would give us three very good lines:
A.Kostsitsyn, Plekaneks, Kovalev
A.Tanguay, Koivu, G.Latendresse
Higgins, Vermette, S.Kostsitsyn
Begin, Chipchura, Lapierre

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Orange

In Montreal's position, it's a bad idea to make offers to RFAs. First, you need to overpay for any chance of a return. This will have an effect on your own RFA negotiations, eating away at cap space. This in turn will make it harder to sign our own RFAs and make them ripe candidates for offers from other teams. Since we have a young team with plenty of good RFAs, this would be a terrible situation to be in. Let's not go there.

Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well , we could have drafted Jimmy Hayes this year and it probably would have helped addressing the situation but we picked Danny Kristo instead. Same thing happened last year when we picked Subban over Veilleux. Not saying that those are bad picks but it seems that Gainey and Timmins are not exactly in hurry of fixing the situation. I think we should clearly target a big center with size and some skill in the 2009 draft even if he's not the BPA.

As for PM Bouchard , no thanks. If we have to make an offer sheet to someone it should be for a true elite player or for a player that would fill a need. PM Bouchard is a decent small player but he does not meet these criterias and would be redundant on this team.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:00 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Gainey has specifically stated he won't make an offer sheet for RFA's.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Garry Valk

Chances of an Offer Sheet?

So what are the real chances of an offer sheet? The two players I'd likely target are Bouwmeester (who wants out of Florida) and PM Bouchard. Bouwmeester would be my preference. He oozes talent, is still quite young, blazingly fast, and would elevate us to having one of the two best defences in the league. Perhaps a five or six year deals at 5 or 6 mill a year? Anyone?

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

No thanks!!!!

He a puny little runt. He would just add to all the problems with the Habs roster....too small, too weak and not physical enough.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:05 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Zero Chance.

Source: Bob Gainey.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Why are you so desperate to get someone that you would give up 4 first round picks for an offer sheet? We are in good shape, Sundin would just be the icing on the cake, no need to do any drastic move.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Offer sheets are a bad idea, especially for a team like us who is full of young up and coming players on the verge of RFA. I realize that offer sheets are perfectly legal within the CBA but GMs do not like it when other GMs sign their players to offer sheets. I was watching Sportsnet on July 1 and they said the Blues were extremely pissed when the Canucks signed Backes to an offer sheet. I know it's a way to do business but I don't think it would be the best approach for us.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote