HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

More athletes should be like Hossa

Old
07-03-2008, 09:06 AM
gmalicoat

vCash: 500
More athletes should be like Hossa

Good article by Drew Sharp of the Free Press.

Marian Hossa is a Red Wing because he wants to win a Stanley Cup. That's as pure as it gets in sports.

He took less money and fewer years -- shunning guaranteed financial security -- for the best opportunity to win a championship.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...807030351/1053

Last edited by gmalicoat: 07-03-2008 at 09:30 AM.
gmalicoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Clock

Hossa is going to make 7 million dollars for one year and has an excellent chance at getting a cup. He's probably going to put up awesome numbers next year on Datsyuk's / Zetterberg's lines.

Consider that he'll be on the open market again next year after quite possibly having had a career year and a cup. He'll command absolute gobs of money next year, moreso than this year. Look at the trend... more and more money each year.

And seriously, what sacrifice is he making? He's going to pull in seven million dollars in one season.

The only way this backfires for him is if he has a horrid year or he takes too many injuries. Otherwise, he's commanding 9 million plus next year. Brilliant move by both Hossa and the Wings.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:00 AM
JWells16

I agree to an extent.

I love that he went somewhere to win instead of simply for the money. In this case, he's going to get slightly less money, but still make tons. He's going to win much more as a result. He's smart. Somehow some athletes just can't grasp this concept.

I still maintain that if I was a player of Hossa's caliber, I would sign in a place I knew where I had the best chance of winning for a couple million dollars. By doing so, you would leave more cap room for other players. Unfortunately the PA would be not too happy.

People always tell me the NHL is a business, which is true. However, hockey is a sport, and that's what people grow up loving. You play sports out of the love of the game and because you want to win. Let the owners worry about the business aspect. I would be more worried about the enjoyment and winning aspect.

But hey, that's just me. I want to win, and have fun while doing so.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

I'm surprised that someone posting from Michigan, and quoting the Detroit Free Press, would think that more athletes should be like Marian Hossa.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Shoalzie

Hossa is no saint with being paid $7.4 million...that's still a lot of money. Sure, most players would prefer play for a winning team but he's still being paid a large salary...more than Datsyuk or Zetterberg. If Hossa wanted to be truly unselfish, he would've taken only a few million instead of taking as much as he could get from the Wings...ie--just a little bit less than Lidstrom is being paid.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Peter Angelo

He has taken a lot less than he could have got for a 1 year stab at the cup with the wings and good on him but I'm confused on the shunning financial security ideal.

How much financial security do these guys need? I mean 7 mil dollars isn't chump change, thats enough financial security for most people to live off in a lifetime. if he does his knee and never plays again he can still own a chain of properties and drive around easy street in a lambo, its not the biggest risk of all time.

Peter Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:09 AM
awesomo
HARD!

i really like the wings policy of no one gets paid more than Lidstrom, thats awesome

he had a chance to win the cup with the pens, i dont understand why he needed to go to detroit.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusPredsfan View Post
He has taken a lot less than he could have got for a 1 year stab at the cup with the wings and good on him but I'm confused on the shunning financial security ideal.

How much financial security do these guys need? I mean 7 mil dollars isn't chump change, thats enough financial security for most people to live off in a lifetime. if he does his knee and never plays again he can still own a chain of properties and drive around easy street in a lambo, its not the biggest risk of all time.
Hossa already made lots of money.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
i really like the wings policy of no one gets paid more than Lidstrom, thats awesome

he had a chance to win the cup with the pens, i dont understand why he needed to go to detroit.
Hossa seemed to have set his eyes on Wings for some times, and playing against them in Final probably sealed the deal.

Sure he can get better contract next year but that also applies to all the other players who take security over year to year inflation.

It really takes a special player to say no to 90 million contract no matter how you slice it.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:24 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Hossa is no saint with being paid $7.4 million...that's still a lot of money. Sure, most players would prefer play for a winning team but he's still being paid a large salary...more than Datsyuk or Zetterberg. If Hossa wanted to be truly unselfish, he would've taken only a few million instead of taking as much as he could get from the Wings...ie--just a little bit less than Lidstrom is being paid.
if he were an unselfish saint, he'd take the biggest contract he could get from anyone.

and then give the money to charity.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:29 AM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

Every athlete that doesn't sign with the Red Wings, Patriots, Red Sox, Spurs, or USC doesn't want to win.

cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
Every athlete that doesn't sign with the Red Wings, Patriots, Red Sox, Spurs, or USC doesn't want to win.
yeah well I'm sure they had to say no to 80~90 million security just so that they can play for someone else 1 year.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
if he were an unselfish saint, he'd take the biggest contract he could get from anyone.
It's an investment. He's not taking his big payday this year (a relatively slow one for Hossa). Instead, he's going to take a one year contract with last year's SC winner that is still intact. He's going to play on one of the top lines with some of the most skilled forwards in the game, and he's sure to rack up an impressive amount of points. I think most of us can agree that he's on the team most likely to get the cup.

So then - if he managed to get offered 7.4 million after a slow year and that's considered a discount, what do you think will happen next year around this time if he has a great year and potentially wins the cup? He's going to be swimming in nine million plus dollar contracts. He's maximizing his potential payday. 7.4 million dollars for a year isn't exactly going to put him in the poorhouse, either.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Stephen

He's just being a mercenary, going to a pre-made team. I'm not sure what's particularly admirable about it. Not saying it's wrong, just nothing special.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:44 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

I dunno, to me ring-chasing isn't necessarily a great thing. It's one thing to maybe latch onto a promising team that hasn't won yet, but to join the most successful team of the past decade and the defending champs smacks a bit of coat-tail riding. It's not like the Wings need him to win the Cup, so what would winning a Cup with them really prove?

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:44 AM
oandb18

Next year he'll be headed to the highest bidder, for 10+ million a year.

He'll get his cup and cash in.

oandb18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:50 AM
goliath5151

Right....because all sports should be filled with 1yr players..... except that

1) Fans would lose interest. Whats the point in having a favorite/team player if your players are changing all the time? Not to mention jersey's would become pointless to buy

2) It would actually be WORSE for parity. Instead of a team slowly developing its core, and adding vets here and there, if everyone only went for the clear contenders then they would pretty much alway be contenders and the bottom teams would never get any better

The writer is a dumb ass.

goliath5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:58 AM
AUAIOMRN

I don't see how it's a good thing that already good teams get discounts on good players just because they want to win. It's understandable, but not a good thing IMHO.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:00 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalicoat View Post

Marian Hossa is a Red Wing because he wants to win a Stanley Cup. That's as pure as it gets in sports.

He took less money and fewer years -- shunning guaranteed financial security -- for the best opportunity to win a championship.

while i agree its a rare thing...7.4 mil shouldnt be scoffed at. i think id call that financially secure for quite a while

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:08 AM
discostu

I'd be more impressed if Hossa decided to stay on with Atlanta, and dedicate himself to turning that team's fortune's around, and win a cup that way. I'd even be more impressed with him if he stayed on in Pittsburgh, after that team gave up a lot to get him, and was trying to find a way to make him fit into their long term plans.

Taking a little less than full market value to win the cup does have it's nobility, but, he's looking at his easiest route to the cup, rather than trying to be a team's fundamental building block, to get them to that level. A cup ring is something that you can never diminish, so, if he gets it, it's hard to argue he made a bad decision, but, I'd imagine that winning the cup with a team that you've stuck with through the good and bad times to get to the top is the most rewarding.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I'd be more impressed if Hossa decided to stay on with Atlanta, and dedicate himself to turning that team's fortune's around, and win a cup that way. I'd even be more impressed with him if he stayed on in Pittsburgh, after that team gave up a lot to get him, and was trying to find a way to make him fit into their long term plans.

Taking a little less than full market value to win the cup does have it's nobility, but, he's looking at his easiest route to the cup, rather than trying to be a team's fundamental building block, to get them to that level. A cup ring is something that you can never diminish, so, if he gets it, it's hard to argue he made a bad decision, but, I'd imagine that winning the cup with a team that you've stuck with through the good and bad times to get to the top is the most rewarding.
A lot of players in these days don't seem to rank 'winning' as important as 'money'. I'm not saying it is a bad thing, money matters and money talks (as, contrary to some people here, a lot of people already called him stupid for taking less term less money.)

It is easy for us fans to say 'easy way to win the cup' but it is another if you are the one rejecting the security of 80~90 million deals. It's like saying 'hey if I'm an NHLer I would play for my team for free' hell yeah then why don't you go out and play for your team for free. oh that's right because you can't. That's why when a star UFA makes a personal sacrifice to win instead of long term security, to me, it is something special.

Old
07-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath5151 View Post
Right....because all sports should be filled with 1yr players..... except that

1) Fans would lose interest. Whats the point in having a favorite/team player if your players are changing all the time? Not to mention jersey's would become pointless to buy

2) It would actually be WORSE for parity. Instead of a team slowly developing its core, and adding vets here and there, if everyone only went for the clear contenders then they would pretty much alway be contenders and the bottom teams would never get any better

The writer is a dumb ass.
I don't think you understood the point of the article right. It's ok because it is obvious you don't really care what the point of the article is about anyway.

btw I don't support parity and neither should you, unless you root for bottom dwellers who despise the smart clubs who manage their assets well and have already built good core so they can lure big name players. Why dont you go help some kids in africa already?

Old
07-03-2008, 11:41 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
I'm surprised that someone posting from Michigan, and quoting the Detroit Free Press, would think that more athletes should be like Marian Hossa.
haha, true.

fwiw, i'm from ottawa, kinda dislike hossa as a player, but am now a huge fan of his character because of this move.

07-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalicoat View Post

He had financial security after 5 months in the NHL.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:54 AM
krudmonk

His coat-tailing is admirable. What a hero.

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote