HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

More athletes should be like Hossa

Old
07-03-2008, 12:03 PM
habs_24x

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
He's just being a mercenary, going to a pre-made team. I'm not sure what's particularly admirable about it. Not saying it's wrong, just nothing special.
i couldnt of said it better myself. I dont see the big deal going to a team that is already stacked and is miles ahead of any other team in the NHL. Almost looks like he wants a freebee before cashing in next year.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
It is easy for us fans to say 'easy way to win the cup' but it is another if you are the one rejecting the security of 80~90 million deals.
I doubt he was doing the latter, probably one of the reasons he was so willing to sign this contract.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:56 PM
88Bottles

Why should more athletes be like Hossa? He's playing the market for next season. If he wins a cup, he's worth more...his stats might get hugely inflated next season so that too would bring up his numbers. If he were to play in Edmonton, I don't think he'd put up the kinds of numbers he would if he played with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

If anything, more athletes should be like Selanne and Kariya who took $1 million each for one season in Colorado, but it's too bad that didn't work.

88Bottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:20 PM
SayNoToStim

The wings have already won the cup in 09?

..better go buy some fireworks.

But anyways, although I'm not exactly praising hossa for taking a cut in pay (its not like he's hurting for cash), I'd rather see an athlete go to a team because he thinks he has a chance of winning the cup than to see someone do something like Fedorov.

SayNoToStim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Dima87*

Who wouldn't want to play for Detroit? They're like the Lakers, Cowboys, Real Madrid of hockey.

Dima87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 03:11 PM
WingsFan95

He did the right thing, duh.

Nobody wants to be a Yashin.

WingsFan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 03:15 PM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalicoat View Post
Good article by Drew Sharp of the Free Press.

Marian Hossa is a Red Wing because he wants to win a Stanley Cup. That's as pure as it gets in sports.

He took less money and fewer years -- shunning guaranteed financial security -- for the best opportunity to win a championship.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...807030351/1053
Really

What I think is, more atletes should commit to a team and help that team win a Stanley Cup.

I guesss if the alternative is sell out to the highest bidder even if you dont think theres any chance possible to win...

only in that limited condition is Hossas "willingness to play for 7.4 million" next season a enviable moral.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Clock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayNoToStim View Post
The wings have already won the cup in 09?

..better go buy some fireworks.
Nah, but I think it's safe to say that they've got the best chance of winning the cup again next year at this point. I don't think they will because that never happens and there are ALWAYS surprises, but I certainly give them the best chances of winning, and I think that's what Hossa's thinking. I give them 1 to 4 odds. Would've said 1 to 3, but the Cup Hangover factor can't be ignored.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Clock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I'd be more impressed if Hossa decided to stay on with Atlanta, and dedicate himself to turning that team's fortune's around, and win a cup that way. I'd even be more impressed with him if he stayed on in Pittsburgh, after that team gave up a lot to get him, and was trying to find a way to make him fit into their long term plans.

Taking a little less than full market value to win the cup does have it's nobility, but, he's looking at his easiest route to the cup, rather than trying to be a team's fundamental building block, to get them to that level. A cup ring is something that you can never diminish, so, if he gets it, it's hard to argue he made a bad decision, but, I'd imagine that winning the cup with a team that you've stuck with through the good and bad times to get to the top is the most rewarding.
I wanted to say I completely agree with this sentiment.

As much as I don't like the Leafs, I'd say we need more athletes like Sundin who slave for SEASONS trying to get THEIR team to the top. As has already been said, Hossa's sort of like a hired gun without his own country. Not saying there's anything wrong with that at all, just that I'll give the guys who stick it out with their teams more credit.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 03:24 PM
KyleJRM

Athletes put their body through hell and have a very short timeframe in which to apply the craft that is likely the only job they know how to do. They usually don't come from money, which means they don't know how to use it and a high percentage of them will go broke no matter how much they make during their careers.

If they want to play for a winner, great. If they want to try to create life-changing wealth for their children and several generations after, I have no problem with that either. It's their life, let them do what they want without getting all judgmental.

KyleJRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Randall Graves*

He's doing this to make more money.

let's not make him out to be an all sacrificing saint, he's still making a ton of money, playing with Dats and/or Zetterberg for a full season could make him 100 point guy, then he'll cash in.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:52 PM
JTG

Quote:
Good article by Drew Sharp of the Free Press.

Marian Hossa is a Red Wing because he wants to win a Stanley Cup. That's as pure as it gets in sports.

He took less money and fewer years -- shunning guaranteed financial security -- for the best opportunity to win a championship.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...807030351/1053
Ahhh yes...

Shunning financial security with his 7.4 million dollar contract, only to win a Stanley Cup and sign a fat contract next offseason.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:22 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
I hope he watches the Pengiuns win the cup next year. Just for fun I'd lose to see Hossa in the finals too, and the Pengiuns sweeping his sorry ass.

(and I'm not a Pens fan in the slightest)

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:23 PM
BlahDow

mm..there are *some* that are like that..I think Tom Brady took a pay cut so the Patriots could get Randy Moss...anyone that follows NFL saw how that worked out for them...and some NBA players do the same.........when they're WAY up in years and haven't won a championship -_-.

BlahDow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:56 PM
white_tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
Hossa is going to make 7 million dollars for one year and has an excellent chance at getting a cup. He's probably going to put up awesome numbers next year on Datsyuk's / Zetterberg's lines.

Consider that he'll be on the open market again next year after quite possibly having had a career year and a cup. He'll command absolute gobs of money next year, moreso than this year. Look at the trend... more and more money each year.

And seriously, what sacrifice is he making? He's going to pull in seven million dollars in one season.

The only way this backfires for him is if he has a horrid year or he takes too many injuries. Otherwise, he's commanding 9 million plus next year. Brilliant move by both Hossa and the Wings.
And even if he has a bad year or gets a injury.. It will be hard to feel sorry for a guy that after taxes this coming year will make more then many of us will make in 20 years befoore taxes...

white_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
I disagree. Signing up with the Stanley Cup champions so he can ride their coattails to get his is not nearly as noble as you make it out to be. It is like Ray Bourque's cup, it really isn't "earned" it is more just a by-product of joining the right team.

I would rather see a player stay with his club from when they are struggling and win a cup on that same team when they finally become championship calibre.

Hossa wants to win a cup then sign for the big $ next summer. He wants to have his cake and eat it too - I hope the Red Wings lose in the first round next year. Hossa could have joined a team like the Oil for the long haul and earned a cup the right way.

That's my take.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:19 PM
SayNoToStim

As much of a wings fan as I am, It would be funny to see the Pens beat the Wings in the finals next year.

SayNoToStim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Caseman

He joins the Stanley Cup Champions? What courage he has. Let it be preached across the lands.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:19 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Yeah I mean if anything, the dude's weak.
It's been said a billion times, but he's making sick money and signed on the favorite on paper to win the cup next year, who also just won the cup.
Sorry, less athletes should be like Hossa.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:02 PM
nik jr

Quote:
I'd be more impressed if Hossa decided to stay on with Atlanta, and dedicate himself to turning that team's fortune's around, and win a cup that way. I'd even be more impressed with him if he stayed on in Pittsburgh, after that team gave up a lot to get him, and was trying to find a way to make him fit into their long term plans.

Taking a little less than full market value to win the cup does have it's nobility, but, he's looking at his easiest route to the cup, rather than trying to be a team's fundamental building block, to get them to that level. A cup ring is something that you can never diminish, so, if he gets it, it's hard to argue he made a bad decision, but, I'd imagine that winning the cup with a team that you've stuck with through the good and bad times to get to the top is the most rewarding.
i've never really liked it either, even when DRW signed hasek, hull and robitaille i didn't like it (at first).

but if a player's team is dysfunctional (bad management, bad ownership, no money, etc)--(and i think atlanta qualifies as dysfunctional) then the player's commitment might be all for nothing. and players want to win.

ray bourque toiled for 20 years in boston before he was traded to colorado.
sundin might never win.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:16 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
i've never really liked it either, even when DRW signed hasek, hull and robitaille i didn't like it (at first).

but if a player's team is dysfunctional (bad management, bad ownership, no money, etc)--(and i think atlanta qualifies as dysfunctional) then the player's commitment might be all for nothing. and players want to win.

ray bourque toiled for 20 years in boston before he was traded to colorado.
sundin might never win.
That is a point that I've considered. I've certainly never thought less of Bourque for his decision. But, Hossa's story doesn't have those 20 years of toiling behind it. He had 2.5 years in Atlanta before throwing in the towel on that franchise. It may have been dysfunctional, but, he didn't exactly give it a huge chance.

Plus, if he felt that Atlanta was just a doomed franchise, he was given a golden opportunity with Pittsburgh. The team sacrificed a lot to get him, and, if the Thrashers were just too inept to deserve his loyalty, Pittsburgh certainly seemed to do all the right things to earn his. Plus, it's not like Hossa started his career in a dead franchise, that offered him no hope in his early years. He came into a rising franchise, and, shares some of the blame for the team not getting over that hump.

It's a 30 team league, and, you can't really blame a player for using the leverage he has to maximize their chance at a cup. Sometimes that opportunity will never come again. But, like others have said, I have a great respect for a guy like Sundin, who stuck it out in Toronto year-after-year, and accepted the role of the face of the franchise, for all the good, and all the bad. To me, that's more worthy of praise.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Jeremy2020

So he's going to a team that is really, really good where he's likely to have a good year and win a cup? And only for 7 million and then being able to fleece some team next year?

Forget the people feeding starving orphans in Africa. This guy is a hero.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Hemsky is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells16 View Post

I still maintain that if I was a player of Hossa's caliber, I would sign in a place I knew where I had the best chance of winning for a couple million dollars. By doing so, you would leave more cap room for other players. Unfortunately the PA would be not too happy.
why would the PA care? the salaries are linked to revenues. if player salaries exceed revenues there is an escrow. every dollar that hossa gives up will go to another player in the cap system.

Hemsky is a gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:49 PM
deanosaur

I agree. Except one thing 7 million isn't something I would call "taking less money" sure he could of got more, but had he took somewhere around 5 mill then I would have a little more respect.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:55 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
Atlanta traded him, so he never really had the chance to stay on with them. Maybe he would have if they hadn't dealt him at the deadline.

As for staying in Pittsburgh, look what happened to him when he signed a longterm deal to stay with a developing team and try to win it all: He got traded before the season even started. Some loyalty Ottawa showed him.

Hossa tried to do it the "right way" in Ottawa and got screwed for it. He doesn't owe the Sens, Thrashers, or Pens a thing. If any of his actions seem self-serving, well can you blame him? It's not like placing his trust in GMs and owners has worked out well for him yet.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote