HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"Mats screwed up BIG TIME this past two weeks" -Ecklund

Old
07-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
"Mats screwed up BIG TIME this past two weeks" -Ecklund

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16055

In my opinion Mats screwed up BIG TIME this past two weeks.
Knowing all of the above and having all the time he had to think about the factors...Mats should have known whether or not he was going to play hockey this year by the time his rights were dealt to Montreal on that Friday night in Ottawa.

I am not in favor of what Niedermayer did last year, but the Ducks owned Scott's rights, so while you can question what Scott did, it really was only affecting one team...

Although I am 100000% sure Mats would never hurt a fly and never meant or wanted to hurt anyone...Mats screwed and Mats hurt everyone.

Mats hurt the Canadiens badly. He NEVER should have allowed talks with the Canadiens to start in he wasn't sure he could say yes. It is the equivalent of a girl picking out an engagement ring and going to dinner unsure of her answer. We will never know what the Canadiens could have gotten and we don't know what they still can get (Demitra I am hearing), but we do know that Montreal was distracted by Mats.

Mats hurt the Canucks badly. When a team puts that much on the line for you, I feel they deserve a yes or a no. That simple.

Mats hurt other teams that put offers together.

Mats hurt his agent badly. I can only imagine how hard it must have been for J.P. to call these teams today after the teams had seen all these other players signing guys that they couldn't get in on. Today's statement from Mats, sounded to me like a public apology for his client's indecisiveness. I don't know it to be the case, but I would bet that J.P. went to Mats and said something like, "We need to let these teams go and you need to NOT put me in this position." He is a great agent, so I know he will deny that as he should to protect Mats as he should... But I will not be convinced.

Mats hurt other players who were trying to sign deals badly. One agent said to me that today was "Hurry up and wait." Mats was a big domino and it blocked a lot of smaller dominoes. Basically as one player said to me, "If a team that has interest in Mats has interest in me...I am screwed, because I will wait."

And worse of all, in my opinion Mats not knowing in time hurt Mats...

I truly have no intention to be disrespectful to this great man.

My problem is all in the way this went down and when it went down.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Dooman

Mats hurt other teams? Like Vancouver?

They have 10 million MORE in cap room even *with* the offer for him on the table, its a bad idea to put all your eggs in one basket and thats what it looked like they were doing.

You put out the offers, you back them up, but you set timelines for yourself...

If they dont pan out, you should already have your other offers in place.

And on top of that, him hurting Montreal? He didn't know, they took a chance. They lost. Thats how the game is played.

Dooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Mats has earned the right to do whatever he wants. I think in his heart of hearts however he yearns for a Toronto return and quite frankly that's where he should stay. Seeing him in ANY other jersey is wrong. He should go the way of Sakic. Either sign with the team you're with now, or call it quits.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
And worse of all, in my opinion Mats not knowing in time hurt Mats...
HOW?!?!?!

It's well known that he has enough money to retire comfortably..

Clearly he is uncertain on what he wants to do moving forward..

I'd love to hear how this hurts Mats...

I guess this is because he didn't live up to Eklund's pathetic prognostications...

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:18 AM
octopi

Let me reply as politely as possible.

-Mats has been saying for some time he could not make a desicion

-Mats is a free agent and owes nobody anything.Particularly teams he has never played for.

-Any team with half a brain would realize he was indecisive, and move on and try to get other people

-Mats is practically married to the Maple leafs. Anyone who watched hockey on more than a casual basis would realize he would not take leaving them lightly. For him, I get the impression trying to win a Cup with another team would almost be like wanting a child with his wife, finding out she was unable to have one , and having one with someone else instead.

-I think the last 2 months of the season with the Leafs trying to trade him and the constant open beration of some of his own fans were agonizing for him. He obviously loves the Leafs,and their fans, and who am I or anyone else to tell him what or who he can fall in love with?

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Mats doesn't owe squat to anyone. That includes the Leafs and they should be grateful that he, in a day of age where there is zero, showed so much loyalty to the Leafs for however long while they gave him all-star linemates such as Sergei Berezin, Jonas Hoglund and Nik Antropov.

I'm sure Eklund would have felt the same about Peter Forsberg last year if it wasn't for him sticking his head so far up Foppa's ass.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:20 AM
saskganesh

its mats' perogative.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:20 AM
King of Kelvington

Mats response: "Whos Egglund, what team does he play for"?

King of Kelvington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Crosbyfan

And the children...Mats hurt the children...

What about them?

Crosbyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:21 AM
gmalicoat

Eklund is a jagoff. Sundin busted his hump in that wasteland Toronto to EARN the right to make HIS decision on HIS timeline

gmalicoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:24 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalicoat View Post
Eklund is a jagoff. Sundin busted his hump in that wasteland Toronto to EARN the right to make HIS decision on HIS timeline
Mats had a reduced contract in Toronto as well, and the no trade clause was part of that. I hate the Leafs, but I respect Captain Mats on the same level I respect Nicklas Lidstrom.

Speaking of hurting people by getting their hopes up, I heard theres some guy with a site who post evens the wildest, most insane ridiclous rumors out there. What was his name again....Eck something?

Last edited by octopi: 07-03-2008 at 10:43 AM.
octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Number8

Couldn't agree less with this take on Sundin.

Any guy who leaves a reported $20M 2 year deal on the table is clearly still trying to figure out whether he still wants to play. He didn't set the July 1 UFA deadline.

And for those players and teams that were "screwed" and hanging in the balance while he considered offers and gathered information ..... well, tough luck. Join the real world.

Anyone else sat on pins and needles waiting for an offer you put in on a house, while your second pick sits on the market? Or was banking on a promotion, only to have your boss leave the company just before it gets approved?

Finally, if you want to criticize this kind of thing, start with Niedermayer, Selanne, and Forsberg. Will they play, won't they play? Will they play, won't the play? And what about the rent a mercenary Hossa? Bet Pittsburgh just loves this guy right now.

And I'm a Bruins fan, no less.......

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
You quoted entirely too much of that godawful ridiculous blog. Mats can do what he wants when he wants, he's earned it, and people busting on him need to give their heads a shake.

07-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Mats doesn't owe squat to anyone. That includes the Leafs and they should be grateful that he, in a day of age where there is zero, showed so much loyalty to the Leafs for however long while they gave him all-star linemates such as Sergei Berezin, Jonas Hoglund and Nik Antropov.

I'm sure Eklund would have felt the same about Peter Forsberg last year if it wasn't for him sticking his head so far up Foppa's ass.
On the positive side, Foppa is getting up there in years. I'm sure he appreciated the clean bill of health regarding potential polyps that Eklund could deliver first hand. I understand those colonoscopies can be brutal.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:29 AM
asdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post

Agreed with the first part, disagree with the second part. The Leafs don't owe him anything as much he doesn't owe them anything. They made him one of the wealthiest players in NHL history and people can keep bringing up Hoglund and Renberg, but the fact remains that the Leafs were one of the better teams in the league prior to the lockout.

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Marns
@thestretchpass

I dunno, but don't we normally quote what someone has to say if they are, well...kind of important? i.e. not eklund?

Sundin wouldn't wipe his ass with that dolt.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Opus

This just proves further who and what 'Ecklund' is.

Mats is a UFA, he owes nobody nothing.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Riggins

I think he hurt Eklund's feelings.

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:42 AM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
I differ from most people when I think Mats has already made his decision to play next year, but simply is waiting for the right offer to come along from the right team. He has had almost 3 months to think about "play vs. not-play". Another couple of weeks isn't going to make a difference. He knows right now what he plans on doing regarding whether to play or not. And his decision will be to play, since he would have retired already if he didn't want to play.

I said in another thread that I predict he goes to Detroit, after it becomes clearer what goes on with RFA Filppula. He will sign there for whatever dollar amount is feasible under the salary cap.

Mats hurt the Canadiens and Canucks? Only if they are dumb enough to have not seen the writing on the wall. It has been quite obvious that he doesn't want to play for them, or else he would have signed with them already.

- He had almost 2 full weeks to sign the Canadiens before any other team had a chance to make a bid. He repeatedly rejected Gainey's offers to travel to Sweden. Shouldn't that have told Gainey something? If the Canadiens end up getting hurt because they waited on Sundin, then that is their own fault.

- He had 20 million reasons to sign with the Canucks. If he wasn't going to jump on that offer quickly, then he wasn't going to jump at it at all. After Day 1 came and went, and he still hadn't accepted that utterly bloated offer, shouldn't that have been a hint to the Canucks? If the Canucks end up getting hurt because they waited on Sundin, then that is their own fault.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

So according to Eklund it would be better if Sundin signed with a team on July 1st. Then realize a week or two into the season that he should have retired. And then go through the rest of the season feeling like he did the wrong thing and have his play suffer because of it.

Of course that is what he should have done. Screw the fact that he is an unrestricted free agent and screw the fact that he has said for a while now that he is not sure if he is going to continue to play, and that he is going to take some time to come to the right decision for himself.

Come on Mats, you should think about the other free agents for a while, there poor agents and of course the teams that plan there whole off-season around you.

Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Brownies

Mats hurts Eklund because he said the habs would sign him last Sunday.

Brownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Safir*

What's Eklund main motivation? To get more hits on his friggin hockeybuzz site.

From what I understand, Sundin has left many Leafs disappointed. Eklund is just trying to captialize on this momentum, furthermore he also includes the Habs and the Canucks in his rant. Couldn't be more perfect for the hack. Eklund wants more hits from Leaf, Hab and Canucks fans. That's the whole point of this entry.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:33 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

You would think Eklund would want this to drag out, gives him a chance at stretching out the hits on his site a bit further.

Of course it is insane to take shots at a UFA for not taking into account the teams and GM's that are looking into his services when it comes to making a decision.

He just went through an absurd ordeal in Toronto, can't he just chill out for a while before being fed back into the NHL Media Grinder that is Canada?

You know, if he really wants to take it easy he can always come on down to a nice laid back hockey town like Atlanta for a year or two

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Let me reply as politely as possible.

-Mats has been saying for some time he could not make a desicion

-Mats is a free agent and owes nobody anything.Particularly teams he has never played for.

-Any team with half a brain would realize he was indecisive, and move on and try to get other people

-Mats is practically married to the Maple leafs. Anyone who watched hockey on more than a casual basis would realize he would not take leaving them lightly. For him, I get the impression trying to win a Cup with another team would almost be like wanting a child with his wife, finding out she was unable to have one , and having one with someone else instead.

-I think the last 2 months of the season with the Leafs trying to trade him and the constant open beration of some of his own fans were agonizing for him. He obviously loves the Leafs,and their fans, and who am I or anyone else to tell him what or who he can fall in love with?
Mats Sundin and the Leafs are indeed like a married couple: actually, it's like an Indecent Proposal type situation, and as appealing as Robert Redford is, if this guy comes back, I see it being with that loser Woody Harrelson.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

Eklund is the most pathetic writer ever. He should say Although, Mats did just help me spread more random bull-**** to spew over anyone who knows how to read.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote