HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"Mats screwed up BIG TIME this past two weeks" -Ecklund

Old
07-03-2008, 11:13 AM
ComrieFanatic

vCash: 500
Leading up to July 1st Sundin clearly stated that he was not ready to begin accepting free agent offers. It's not his fault that teams decided to ignore his wishes by offering him deals, regardless of how much they were worth.

When Mats has decided he wants to play, then he will think about where he wants to play. And finally, he owes nothing to other free agents that may be waiting for his domino to slide.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Pepper

It's Eklund, who cares? Sundin didn't promisen anything to anyone.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:23 AM
RussCourtnallsGhost

Mats doesn't owe anything to anyone. Except for me. He owes me $50 for that lapdance.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Heat McManus

Mats hurt Eklund by not signing in any of the cities he was rumored to be in?

Which is worse:

Taking more time to consider if you really have a passion for the game?

or

Rushing into a signing that costs a team $20-40 million only to discover in November that you really don't want to play hockey anymore?

Take your time Mats. We'll wait.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:29 AM
guinness
those were the days

Has Eklund ever been correct on anything, without by chance throwing **** against the wall?

His magic 8 ball must be in shambles now.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:34 AM
BrentZ10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Mats hurt Eklund by not signing in any of the cities he was rumored to be in?

Which is worse:

Taking more time to consider if you really have a passion for the game?

or

Rushing into a signing that costs a team $20-40 million only to discover in November that you really don't want to play hockey anymore?

Take your time Mats. We'll wait.
Bingo, how would all of you Canucks fans who are whining about Sundin now feel if he signs for $10 million and then played half assed?

BrentZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
If there's one thing everyone should know by now, it's that Sundin works on his own schedule. Anyone who hasn't figured that out over the years and thinks he's going to make a snap decision is fooling themselves. I'm sure it's also a huge switch in mindset for Mats, because in past years it was "I'm going back to Toronto, end of discussion" and it was just a matter of putting pen to paper to make it official.

The actions of Fletcher at the deadline opened up eyes around the league, and instead of having that, "you're always welcome here" reassurance, Sundin got a swift kick in the ass ... which had to bring up all of the non-moves the team made in the last few years to get him closer to the Cup. Instead of feeling like he owes it to Toronto because they showed him the same respect, he knows he's not going back with open arms again - if he goes back, it's a "... and if we decide to move your ass, you will be going" approach. He doesn't want that - he's earned the right to be able to say, "I want to play in _______ and not have to worry about moving."

Or, maybe he doesn't know if he wants to play anywhere else after all but getting a 2-handed shove out the door. I don't know, and neither does anyone else - but I do know if this was any other player saying, "I don't know if I want to play next year, let me have some time to think about it" no one would be saying a word. The fact that it's Sundin saying it doesn't mean squat - if one is going to challenge him for doing it, then challenge every other player who does it as well.

He'll make up his mind when he's ready; any team pinning their '08-09 roster hopes on him signing with them better make sure Plan B is available and in use, instead of hoping he goes to that team - otherwise, Plan B is going to be completely off the table and the team is going to be left picking through the trash bin for the likes of Brad Winchester, Darrel Haydar, and Jeff Hoggan.

07-03-2008, 12:01 PM
TorFC-TML*

Mats is a heartless killing machine leaving tattered franchises everywhere in his wake.

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:04 PM
I Hate You All*

Send a message via AIM to I Hate You All* Send a message via Yahoo to I Hate You All*
Mats made my 75% chance that he'd sign with Montreal prediction look STUPID!

I Hate You All* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Fredrik_71

What a tosser! Mats have earned the right to do whatever he wants. I think he will sign up for Toronto again, if he doesn´t retire.

Cheers...

Fredrik_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 12:56 PM
kruezer

Probably the worst article I have read in the last few weeks. Honestly has the guy even thought about what free agency entails?

I was embarrassed for the guy after reading that.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:03 PM
RabidBadger

Mats hurt his agent? Who cares! That's like being concerned about hurting the mosquito that's biting you when you splatter it. All those little parasitic 5 percenters should be done away with.

RabidBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
Leading up to July 1st Sundin clearly stated that he was not ready to begin accepting free agent offers. It's not his fault that teams decided to ignore his wishes by offering him deals, regardless of how much they were worth.

When Mats has decided he wants to play, then he will think about where he wants to play. And finally, he owes nothing to other free agents that may be waiting for his domino to slide.
Frankly the guy's ego seems to have grown astronomically. If he's going to act like a prima donna - and that's what he's doing - then I rather hope he decides to retire and spare us all the drama.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
It is the equivalent of a girl picking out an engagement ring and going to dinner unsure of her answer.
All I'm going to say is:

You don't let the girl pick out the engagement ring.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:44 PM
teleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love View Post
All I'm going to say is:

You don't let the girl pick out the engagement ring.
Eklund wants to be the girl e5
Sundin's decision making is slower than Jason Allison on a shootout.
He can do whatever he wants. It isn't up to the media, hockeyputz bloggers, fans or owners to decide.
At this stage of his career and life Sundin should take his time making sure he does what's right for him.
Last year he said he'd only do deals one year at a time and the Canucks are supposed to be hurt because they offered a 2 years $20M deal.
Teams would be foolish if they didn't make contingency plans during free agent season and if they based everything around Sundin's decision making process then they should go apply for a job at McDonalds and get out of the hockey business.

teleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 02:00 PM
RabbinsDuck

He can do whatever he wants of course, but he is certainly running out of "contenders" to sign up with if he really did want a legitimate chance at the Cup -- I am not convinced he did.

The Red Wings had a nice one-year offer for him. A team with good management, good fans, good ownership, a lot of Swedes and coming off a Stanley Cup with no significant roster losses. And the Wings are in a different Conference from Toronto to boot and is even close to home. If he wanted a Cup, what is there to think about in this case? Obviously the Wings were not guaranteed to win, but that seemed like a pretty ideal situation.

I'm just glad Holland did not wait around for him. I ultimately think Sundin will retire or play for the Leafs. Pardon the redundancy.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
Frankly the guy's ego seems to have grown astronomically. If he's going to act like a prima donna - and that's what he's doing - then I rather hope he decides to retire and spare us all the drama.
How is he acting like a prima donna? Is he demanding the team that signs him give him his own office? Sign an additional player of his liking? Hire a harem of lingerie models to massage his feet after the pre-game skate?

I fail to see how Sundin weighing his options is being a prima donna.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Snipeshow

As a Leaf fan, anybody who ***** on Mats is a moron. Mats owes nobody anything!

On the UFA thing: Everybody knew, for the past 2+ months that Sundin wasn't sure what he wanted to do. Why you would ever hope and ignore other signings for Mats would be stupid. Any smart GM would know this. Mats didn't hurt ANYBODY.

As for the Leaf fans that feel Sundin "screwed" them at the deadline. **** it, I'm not getting into that.

Sundin is one of the classiest guys in the league. He took a huge pay cut just to play in Toronto. How many times could he have left via FA, but stuck it out in Toronto. He continuously produced about a point per game playing with guys like Hoglund, Korolev, Berezin, Perreault, Reichel, Mike Johnson, Sniper Benoit Hogue.. Even Antropov up to this year..

Need I go on?

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:55 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
I can think of very few athletes ever that I have more respect for than Mats Sundin. It would be great if he ended his career in Toronto, but whatever decision he makes, and however long he takes to make it, is fine with me. He doesn't owe the organisation anything--quite obviously it is the other way around.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Pure Slaughter Value

Send a message via AIM to Pure Slaughter Value
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
And the children...Mats hurt the children...

What about them?
I stopped reading right after this one. It made me chuckle, thanks for that!

Pure Slaughter Value is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Gozer

It's funny; there is a simular thread in the Free agent forum, where Sundin got bashed by many for his actions. But now that it's Eklund saying it, everybody takes Sundin's side instead and bash Eklund. So in short what you can learn from this thread is that Sundin >>> Eklund.

Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:35 PM
guyincognito

I wish I started a website during the lockout and used some of my buddies to get me contacts.

Then people would listen to my rants... and they'd even be better than the functionally
illiterate ones we get out of Dwayne, who apparently does not need an editor or ieSpell or whatever.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 08:52 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
In the last 10 years, how many times have we seen players retire and then decide down the road to return? How many threads and HF posters were there making fun of Selanne and Niedermayer this past year for their actions? I think it is safe to say that once Mats has thought things over and made up his mind, that will be it. If you want to criticize him for taking his time and making the RIGHT choice then so be it.

ComrieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 09:58 PM
SENSfreak_03

this is one of the most idiotic articles (if you wanna call it one) in the history of everything. everything has already been said about why Sundin owes no one anything.

what i don't get is why is Ek getting his panties all tied in a knot over this? Did Sundin run over his dog? There's just absolutely no rational reason to post this.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
I wish I started a website during the lockout and used some of my buddies to get me contacts.

Then people would listen to my rants... and they'd even be better than the functionally illiterate ones we get out of Dwayne, who apparently does not need an editor or ieSpell or whatever.
But ........ you didn't - so complaining about it only wastes your energy and HF's bandwidth, and still leaves you in the same position at the end of it all.

Why people feel the need to ***** about some things endlessly knowing it's not going to do anything, I still have no idea. Then again, I guess I think rationally and logically instead of impulsively, so I can't possibly begin to understand the whole, "I'm going to every chance I get so everyone else can read it" mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
He can do whatever he wants of course, but he is certainly running out of "contenders" to sign up with if he really did want a legitimate chance at the Cup -- I am not convinced he did.

The Red Wings had a nice one-year offer for him. A team with good management, good fans, good ownership, a lot of Swedes and coming off a Stanley Cup with no significant roster losses. And the Wings are in a different Conference from Toronto to boot and is even close to home. If he wanted a Cup, what is there to think about in this case? Obviously the Wings were not guaranteed to win, but that seemed like a pretty ideal situation.

I'm just glad Holland did not wait around for him. I ultimately think Sundin will retire or play for the Leafs. Pardon the redundancy.
If Sundin came to Holland and said, "I want to play for the Red Wings, but I'm not taking less than $6 million" I guarantee Holland fits him onto the Wings roster, no questions asked. There's 29 other teams who would try like hell to do the same - whether they could or not is another question, but if Mats comes calling to your team, there's no way your GM says, "thanks - but we're set right now, we don't need you ... go look elsewhere."

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote