HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Speculation: Jagr is gone

Old
07-03-2008, 04:08 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Speculation: Jagr is gone

In the NYDN Jagr is talking about how NYR basically is sending him the messege that they don't really want him. Slats might not be offering him 4m for 1 year, but its probably close to that.

Quote:
"I think they're happy with what they got," Jagr said of the Rangers. "The guys they got are what they feel they needed."
And there is nothing really that speaks against Jagr's assumptions. Slats is saying like "well we still need a veteran".

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/2008/07/02/2008-07-02_avery_leaves_rangers_jagr_in_limbo-1.html

In the Post Gomer is talking about like its a done deal. He is saying that the team without Jagr, is basically what he and Drury came here to lead. There is no way he talks like that if JJ is comming back.

Quote:
"It's going to be on Chris and me now, and that's what we wanted when we came to New York," Gomez said
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07032008/sports/rangers/blueshirts_keep_failing_to_score_118284.htm

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:11 AM
Ola

Theres plenty of things I don't like about this. Again we get a MAJOR overhaul of the roster -- it happends every year. Its impossible to build a well coached team, with high ambitions, if you change the roster every year. Thats the old NHL approch, in the game today with such advance systems and speed and tempo and what not, it takes 2-3 years for players to develop chemistry with each other. We never leaves like a platform behind from one year to the other -- we constantly change enough to have to start from scratch every year. Slats don't get that -- he is just in too much of a hurry building this team -- that might have worked in the 80's but its not the best approch now. Second, Demitra, or Näslund, or whoever we get will defenitly get a 3-4 year deal... None of them are ideal or fits in in what we are trying to build -- but in 2012 we will still have them on basically. Thats the big advantage with JJ or Sundin -- they would have been gone after 2 seasons, that would have given Slats& Renney a bridge to build a real platform, and then add a NUKE when JJ bolted 2 years from now. Now everything is half-assed again by Slats. Don't like it at all.

Old
07-03-2008, 04:13 AM
Ola

Like compare the pressure on Zherdev playing in a team in NY with Jagr -- with the pressure on him playing in NY on a team without Jagr.

Keeping Jagr while Zherdev establish himself is the Detroit way to do it, dumping JJ and expecting 4-6 new guys to come in without needing a transitionplayer et c thats Slats cowboy way of dooing buisniz...

Old
07-03-2008, 04:15 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

If they really do part ways, I will be in shock.

This cant be good for the NYR.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:17 AM
Soundwave

To be fair to Slats, I think he's trying to build a group of guys under the age of 30 that he can work with.

The deal for Zherdev was a very good one, but Zherdev also is one of those guys who doesn't compromise in salary negotiations. He will probably want to get paid big $$$ this summer.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 04:53 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Again, i'm definitley not happy with the top 6 wingers we're going with, if it is really set in stone. I was hoping atleast for Jagr. Just Shannahan, who I wouldn't be shocked if he is re-signed doesn't cut it either..

I guess we'll see. But bye bye Jags is looking likely.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I still think there's a good chance he comes back. If he goes to EDM, then I know it's about $$$ and not being wanted and respected or whatever.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:28 AM
zestystrat

Ya know, I never thought JJ was the drama queen that everyone outside of NY bashed him for....Until this year. Between the meetings with Omsk during the season and equating being the highest paid player to being the most important to the “I don’t know if they REALLY want me back” game that he seems to playing, I’m getting tired of it.

If you aren’t close on the numbers just nut up and say that – the rest to me is BS.

Like Avery, I’d love to have the guy on our team at the right price and years but not at the wrong price and wrong amt of years.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

It's for the best...

and it may not be the best of this year, but for the long-haul it is. We don't want to be tying up money in Jagr anymore. He's a great person with a great personality, a high fan favorite, and a great player. Have to respect everything he does, but at the same time you have to respect that he is done in terms of his play, and isn't worth the money he's commanding.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Pizza

This had to happen at some point.

That this is awkward or unpleasant to some degree is unfortunate, but not surprising.

The Rangers as Sather mentioned need to get younger, faster, and more talented. They will also need to get some size and grit to balance and protect the talent.

So moves have to be made.

None of this happens easily, especially in NYC where HUGE egos are always involved.

Best of luck to Jags. He was a very good Ranger and a solid captain, but never feel too bad for someone with Jagr's parachute. He'll do great in Pitt IMO. Maybe he will even be holding a Cup by years end.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:00 AM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
Ya know, I never thought JJ was the drama queen that everyone outside of NY bashed him for....Until this year. Between the meetings with Omsk during the season and equating being the highest paid player to being the most important to the “I don’t know if they REALLY want me back” game that he seems to playing, I’m getting tired of it.

If you aren’t close on the numbers just nut up and say that – the rest to me is BS.

Like Avery, I’d love to have the guy on our team at the right price and years but not at the wrong price and wrong amt of years.
I totally agree.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:09 AM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:
"It's going to be on Chris and me now, and that's what we wanted when we came to New York," Gomez said

....this is exacly why Im on the fence with brining back jagr....of course we know what he CAN DO...but as long as jagr is wearing a blueshirt this will not even be close to being drury or gomez's team

....how many times last year do you think drury wanted to stand up and say something in the locker room....most of thoes times he didnt/couldnt, because it wasnt his team, and it wont be his team as long as Jagr is here....and I for one think its time for a major change in the leadership role after seeing this team last year...

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:11 AM
shoothepuck

He still hasn't signed anywhere yet. He's going to try and get the deal he wants to stay here, and by using the media, he can blame Sather when he dosn't get it.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:14 AM
gmanwrx

loved having jj on the team. but drauma baby. not wanting to be captain for begin of 2 seasons ago. then nylander being trading-made a fuss with who is playing with him on his lines. dont get me wrong he did produce but on the 2nd half of the season.

Last edited by gmanwrx: 07-03-2008 at 07:20 AM.
gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:27 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I love what Jagr has done in NY for the last 3+ seasons, even with last year showing the warts that every Pitt/Caps fan had been warning us over.

That said, prior to allowing this to get worse, it probably makes sense to part ways and be done with it.

Jagr's approach and attitude hasn't been the same since we allowed Nylander to walk and while he has said all the right things since then, actions speak louder than words and his actions this year were alarming.

We didn't sign Gomez and Drury to play 2nd fiddle for as long as Jagr wanted. We signed them to come in and be JUST AS IMPORTANT to this team as Jagr was. If he cannot accept that then by all means find another team and good luck to you.

Does his departure leave a hole on the top 2 lines, yes. But I think that with him no longer the focal point of our offence and no longer the focal point of the PP that this team can allow some of our youngsters to assume more of a role offensively and while his 2 years in the AHL were not offensively great, I really believe that Korpikoski has a role as a 2nd line LW. For some reason I just feel that with his frame, defensive awareness and speed plus with good offensive instincts he's going to be a real surprise this year.

I believe that we are going to sign a winger to play on one of the top 2 lines (Naslund) and have either Korp or Dawes man one of the other spots.

should be an interesting few days to see what transpires.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:28 AM
DutchShamrock

I kind of blocked out everyone's stereotypes of Jagr from his days prior to New York. I never really worried about his life outside of hockey or any clashes with the organization off the ice if there were any. So I basically never really had issues with Jagr, but when he talked about how he took nights off throughout the season I had to wonder about him. Part of it is taking the nights off, another part is him admitting it and acting like its no big deal.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:29 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I'm so pissed at Gomez for saying that. How can you have such a brain fart and say that knowing the guy could still theoretically resign? It seems these guys don't want Jagr around. Well Drury and Gomez better put the same points that Jagr did between them. And then some if they are going to start talking ****. Because last year they couldn't do so.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Mirinho

according to czech hockey servers - Jagr is still waiting for better offer from NYR (now he has acceptable offer only from Omsk) and he isn't probably debating with any other NHL club

NYR or Omsk are now his major choices - NYR in NHL and Omsk in Europe (he didn't speak about any other offers)

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I kind of blocked out everyone's stereotypes of Jagr from his days prior to New York. I never really worried about his life outside of hockey or any clashes with the organization off the ice if there were any. So I basically never really had issues with Jagr, but when he talked about how he took nights off throughout the season I had to wonder about him. Part of it is taking the nights off, another part is him admitting it and acting like its no big deal.
Larry Brooks asked JJ a direct question why he had not been as good in the regular season as in the PO's, JJ said that in the PO's you turn it on a bit more. Nobody can play as hard for 82 straight games.

Thats a fact, like if everyone played as hard in the regular season as in the PO's -- the tempo in the PO's would be exactly as high as in the regular season.

Did you see Gary Roberts in the finals? Why didn't Roberts play like that in the regular season?

This is Brooks creation. And its questions JJ constantly faces -- nobody else would even have been asked a quesiton like that. Shanny would ahve been "god" if he turned it on in the PO's and scored a ton of goals. When Jagr does it, he is asked -- why didn't you do it in the regular season?

Everyone who saw JJ last season saw someone who was really frustrated. Not someone who didn't try...

Old
07-03-2008, 07:45 AM
alkurtz

I have absolutely no problem with what Jags gave us during his time here: he is of hall of famer with skills rarely seen and if he had returned, I would be OK with his presence.
But, he was a player of diminishing skills; a process that would have continued this year. There were times last season that it hurt to watch him play, a ghost of his former self. If it was frustrating to us to watch him, imagine what it must have been like for him? He would not have been better this year, only worse.
There were times (particular games, the playoffs) when he was able to summon up the younger Jagr, but he could not do it often or at will.
I'm OK with his leaving; its time to move on. Do we all realize just how young this team is now? I think Drury may be the oldest guy on the team at age (32 in August). JJ would have been like a fish out of water. This is a new team, constructed for the new NHL. It may not be good enough to make the playoffs, but it is a work in progress.
The one who will suffer most is probably Dubinsky who will revert to a 3rd line center role and likely play with wingers of limited offensive ability. I don't expect Brandon's offensive numbers to grow this year...but you never know.
I do think the Rangers are treating JJ badly. If they don't want him back, just say so. But sports is a business and players and coaches are just incredibly well paid workers and ultimately expendable. What the Rangers are doing with JJ is not all the much different from how the Mets treated Randolph and the Yanks Torre.
If it is true that he is gone, I wish him well. I have nothing but good things to say about his time here. It would be kind of cool if he returned to the Pens to finish up; there still would be some magic with Malkin or Crosby. As much as I love Edmonton (great city, wonderful people: it any of you have been there, you know that), Jags playing there is kind of sad. He might be better off in Omsk.
Bottom line: a new team, time to move on. If he's here, he becomes the focus of everything. As constituted now (and we may yet sign an older D man, or even resign Shanny, though I hope not), are we the youngest team in the league?

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Mirinho

here is excellent video interview with Jagr - about last season, his future, Vancouver 2010 etc.

http://hokejzive.ct24.cz/video.asp?video_id=2160

but it's only in czech

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Ola, how about adding "speculation" or something similar to the title? I entered the thread fearing I'd find that Jagr had signed on somewhere else.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
I'm so pissed at Gomez for saying that. How can you have such a brain fart and say that knowing the guy could still theoretically resign? It seems these guys don't want Jagr around. Well Drury and Gomez better put the same points that Jagr did between them. And then some if they are going to start talking ****. Because last year they couldn't do so.
Calm down there fella, the chances are that Jagr isn't going to get re-signed, and the reason we DID sign Gomer and Dru was for that very reason, to lead this team.

Pretty sure for the most part Gomez was a better player than Jagr was last year, too, so he already did back it up.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:47 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
Really? cause I could have sworn that Gomez was 1 point behind Jagr for the teams scoring lead...that's right, he was just one point behind.

I like Jagr, I really do, but you can't give a half assed effort and then admit that you didn't push yourself the whole season and only picked your spots to save yourself for the PO's. What a bunch of bullcrap that is. What happens if we miss the PO's? His half assed efforts probably contributed to the lack of chemistry between him and Gomez and in all likelyhood was the reason that the team as a whole struggled offensively both at even strength and on the PP.

The effort we got in the PO's should have been there all along and then when the PO's got here we could have been in a better position as opposed to really struggling to hold onto to a spot at all. 5 measly points seperated us from no PO's at all.

It's best that we part ways with the player now as opposed to watching the fans turn on this guy while he's here because NY fans do not appreciate players mailing it in and then admiting as much.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 07:47 AM
bleedrngrblue

Unless they have another TOP forward who can fill Jagr's very large skates, they better re sign him! There are not alot of players who can fill his skill set on the ice, and I don't want a team depending on GOMEZ and DRURY for their offense! Jagr had a BAD season last year and still led the team in scoring, and was always out there against the other teams top defensive line, freeing up players like GOMEZ to do their thing! Without Jagr, this teams offense is even worse than it was last season! It's great they got younger...but they are close to getting STUPID with this decision! Keep Jagr for AT LEAST the next season to help get the transition of power right. ZHerdev and Cheraponov need some mentoring.....who better than Jagr to show them the way.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote