Swiss hockey players in NHL/AHL

Old
12-14-2010, 04:01 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
I don't read much into goalie stats, but I agree that Genoni has been more impressive than Hiller for Davos, though saying that he is better is a bold statement.

I think Genoni needs a strong international tournament to catch the attention of NHL scouts, then he can maybe be signed as a backup, just like Gerber and Hiller.

stv11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 04:41 AM
swissexpert

Yeah, the thread title is too aggressive I think, I just wanted some attention
I don't think he is as good as Hiller and I doubt he'll ever be, because that would mean he has to be one of the world's best goalies.
The only thing I say is that he is having a season now (and also the champion-season 08/09) that is as good as Hiller was while playing here. He can win games for the team and carry a lot of shots.
Don't know about his potential and if he can reach it, but with his performance now, I'm sure he's on some scout's lists.
International presence would help him a lot, Spengler Cup is a nice platform.
His single national game was pretty good too by stopping 36 of 37 shots against Canada...

Last edited by swissexpert: 12-14-2010 at 05:00 AM.
swissexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:54 PM
torero

Roman Wick

I am worried about him !
1 point some games ago ... but nothing else ! does someone know what is going on ? he doesn't seem to be on the same line anmore.

I read some nice things like he jumped on the floor to block a shot or other smart or bold moves that show that he gives it all to achieve the adjustment to North American ice ... but no points in many games is worrying !

Does someone has some news, or explanations that i missed on this situation ?

+++

Added after 1 day : today's exemple is strking ... Binghampton 6 goals. Wick has 0 goals 0 assists +1 and 0 shots !!! WTF is going on !?? does someone have an idea what the average time on ice is for him now ? where can we see the TOI for AHL ?? (bad exemple ... finally he scored a goal !)

Last edited by torero: 12-17-2010 at 09:08 PM.
torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:08 AM
Wagiblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Roman Wick

I am worried about him !
1 point some games ago ... but nothing else ! does someone know what is going on ? he doesn't seem to be on the same line anmore.

I read some nice things like he jumped on the floor to block a shot or other smart or bold moves that show that he gives it all to achieve the adjustment to North American ice ... but no points in many games is worrying !

+++

Added after 1 day : today's exemple is strking ... Binghampton 6 goals. Wick has 0 goals 0 assists +1 and 0 shots !!! WTF is going on !?? does someone have an idea what the average time on ice is for him now ? where can we see the TOI for AHL ?? (bad exemple ... finally he scored a goal !)
Have no idea whats happening w/this good and kind player - always expecting him in a good skater-line.

Wagiblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 08:27 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Roman Wick

I am worried about him !

+++

He seems to be having trouble adjusting to the NA game. Honestly I think he'll be back in Europe next season. He just doesn't seem to have the drive to make it here, which is unfortunate because he's such a talented player and showed so well for Team Switzerland last year.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 08:45 AM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
He seems to be having trouble adjusting to the NA game. Honestly I think he'll be back in Europe next season. He just doesn't seem to have the drive to make it here, which is unfortunate because he's such a talented player and showed so well for Team Switzerland last year.
how would you describe "the drive" ??

Is he too relax or quite or doesn't have enough fighting spirit ? or isn't dominant enough ... or no enough results ?

i am curious and eager to understand better what the problem of our guys is !

How will it work, will they try him on a line, then try the same line with another player and the line scoring the most points will obviously be "THE LINE" ??
i NEVER understood how Ambuhl was put down on 3rd or 4th lines and the same for Wick !
i would higgly appreciate if you had the explanations

tks

Old
12-19-2010, 10:07 AM
smitty10

Quote:
how would you describe "the drive" ??

Is he too relax or quite or doesn't have enough fighting spirit ? or isn't dominant enough ... or no enough results ?

i am curious and eager to understand better what the problem of our guys is !

How will it work, will they try him on a line, then try the same line with another player and the line scoring the most points will obviously be "THE LINE" ??
i NEVER understood how Ambuhl was put down on 3rd or 4th lines and the same for Wick !
i would higgly appreciate if you had the explanations

tks
I've only seen him about 5 times this season, but each time I always find that he seems too passive. He just goes through the motions of the game and never seems to go the extra mile to make something happen. It's unfortunate because he has a good skill set and size. I just don't think he has what it takes to play in the NHL. I think he came over expecting to either make the NHL or be dominant in the AHL for a short time and then be called up to Ottawa. He may have underestimated the calibur and physicality of the AHL and he's now paying for it.

Unless he really wakes up and has an amazing second half, I expect him to probably leave for Europe after the season. He has the skill to play a third line role in the NHL, but he really needs to step up his play or he'll probably never play a NHL game.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:07 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I've only seen him about 5 times this season, but each time I always find that he seems too passive. He just goes through the motions of the game and never seems to go the extra mile to make something happen. It's unfortunate because he has a good skill set and size. I just don't think he has what it takes to play in the NHL. I think he came over expecting to either make the NHL or be dominant in the AHL for a short time and then be called up to Ottawa. He may have underestimated the calibur and physicality of the AHL and he's now paying for it.

Unless he really wakes up and has an amazing second half, I expect him to probably leave for Europe after the season. He has the skill to play a third line role in the NHL, but he really needs to step up his play or he'll probably never play a NHL game.
It is true that on top of what you say, he has a "nonchalence" style that may not serve him to give the impression of being a warrior with the knife between the theets fighting until he can't anmore.

In fact since i wrote my first post for Wick, he had 3 games, in which he scored 1 goal and 2 assists ! so that is good.

Yet Thank you for sharing your view !
GoRomanGo

Old
12-20-2010, 05:18 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

hockeyfans.ch wrote an article on this topic: http://www.hockeyfans.ch/background/101219.htm

Last edited by stv11: 12-20-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old
12-20-2010, 06:31 AM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv11 View Post
hockeyfans.ch wrote an article on this topic: http://www.hockeyfans.ch/background/101219.htm
great stuff !

Last edited by stv11: 12-20-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old
12-20-2010, 07:52 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Nice read, but I enjoy Thomas Roost background stories a lot more.
Don't know why Niederreiters season is positive but Blindenbachers not. Severin made the most of his situation and is a call-up option now. That's an upgrade to his mediocre season in Sweden. The games he missed were due to an injury, not bad performances.
Nino failed at making the NHL and gets outscored now by two younger teammates in Portland. Of course, he's still a terrific player and does even better than last season, but considering the expectations, scoring 1.0 PPG isn't very "positive".

Old
12-20-2010, 08:29 AM
torero

Quote:
Don't know why Niederreiters season is positive but Blindenbachers not. Severin made the most of his situation and is a call-up option now. That's an upgrade to his mediocre season in Sweden. The games he missed were due to an injury, not bad performances.
Nino failed at making the NHL and gets outscored now by two younger teammates in Portland. Of course, he's still a terrific player and does even better than last season, but considering the expectations, scoring 1.0 PPG isn't very "positive".
On Blindenbacher ... i absolutely agree on that ... in fact it came more as a + surprise that he stayed late in the team until the last cut ... and that he was fortunate that the Stars don't have the best defense as well as don't have money in profusion to fix this ! As a matter of fact he is the first call up ! (theoretically ... because Larsen WAS called up and PLAYED ! but in theory ;-) )

As per Nino, absolutely agree ! with a bit of luck ... and a smarter management ... he should have made the NHL team. And to think about it a bit deeper, he wasn't taking a position to a better player with the Islanders ... . At least results after his departure don't support that.
In other words ... he was certainly not being key in having the Islander playing better but his departure didn't improve the Islanders ! THAT IS SURE !
And with the Winterhawks ... Their is another Swiss !

Roost's was very interesting ... yet a bit too negative in my view !
It is his style and i respect it.

Old
12-20-2010, 09:07 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
Blindenbacher was Färjestad's most used defenseman, hardly something I would rate as mediocre.

I think this article should have an "as expected" category. Niederreiter could fit there, as it was expected he would play 9 games before being returned to juniors. Simek and Mayer are also doing what was expected from them, no one thought they had any reasonable chance to be close to an NHL spot. Gerber is behind Dubnyk in the depth chart, hardly a positive spot to be in. Finally, the rant about Streit's injury is unnecessary, it was an obvious accident.

Old
12-20-2010, 09:32 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Blindenbacher was Färjestad's most used defenseman, hardly something I would rate as mediocre.
To be honest, I haven't seen anything of him during his time in Sweden. But some users and Farjestad fans called him one of their worst defenseman and gave him no chance of being an NHLer.
I was surprised too when I first heard it. No size, not really young and the interviews I read of him didn't seem he knows what to expect in NA...

Agree on the "as expected" category, many of them would fit there. Nino too, although a top 5 pick has to light up the Juniors if he can't make it to the NHL. Especially because Portland is a high scoring team.
I hope he'll have a strong WJC and WHL-playoffs, so it doesn't matter if he scores 1.0 or 1.5 PPG in regular season.

Old
12-21-2010, 02:29 AM
swissexpert

Wow, TheHockeyWriter picks Bärtschi at 12 in his Mock Draft. He definitely won't get higher than IMO, that due to his size, but that's amazing!!
http://thehockeywriters.com/grandlar...olidayedition/
Rattie only 24st.

Old
12-28-2010, 07:49 AM
ElNinoRocks

If anybody is active on Twitter, there is a feed (@SwissNHL) covering news from Swiss players in NA.

ElNinoRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2010, 10:29 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElNinoRocks View Post
If anybody is active on Twitter, there is a feed (@SwissNHL) covering news from Swiss players in NA.
Sorry, but it doesn't seem very professional. Your (assuming thats your account) Quiz says that only 4 Swiss born players ever scored in the NHL.
Streit, Hardy, Weber, Von Arx, Fischer, Niederreiter are at least 6 just popping up in my head and I don't know if that's all..?

Old
12-28-2010, 07:30 PM
swissexpert

Roman Wick isn't on the line up for today's game, are they giving up on him or is there an unknown injury?
I'm starting to give up on him too, don't know where to find NHL talent if he can't score in the AHL...
That being said, I still hope he'll find his game and come back stronger than ever!

Old
01-16-2011, 05:33 PM
torero

Blindenbacher

Does someone has some news on him ? it is now almost a month he is not playing ...
i read somewhere that he had a concussion ...
He had a car accidend ... and was absent for some time for a concussion ... then he played a couple of games and then ... he disapeared again ... with no news ... some news appeared about a concussion ... but with no indication why or how or what. Does one of you have a bit of a better understanding or better info on what happened to him ?

Wick

Is also a source of disapointment ... pitty really because i had great hopes on him.
Does someone has some news on him ... how he is planning the rest of his carreer ? (comeback to Switzerland or stay a second year) or how is the Sens organization perceiving him ? ... any news !

Josi

Seems to be doing fine. after a beginning where he broke his wrist ... he settled quickly. As Swissexpert pointed out somewhere ... i am also a bit disapointed by the scoring in light of the quantity of shots on goal he has. But observers' are positive on him and tend to agree that he is likely to become a good NHLer after having fixed some defaults. Actually he is being rated above many other prospects although Nashville seems to be among the best organizations in terms of prospects in the league. Anyone has additional news ?

Weber

The greatone ! Many, including me had almost given up on him and here he is ... playing in NHL with decent minutes on ice. And not being lined up for what his assets are ... meaning that he is not a liability on the Habs defense anymore. Great stuff. Soon he will impose more with his assets. I am really happy for this kid.

Sbisa

has almost became an enforcer !! great to see him settle reliably in his team. He looks very solid to me. Great stuff.

Simek

After being transfered to the Bruins ... he seems to be quite absent from the lineup ... a healthy scratch. Someone has some news on him ?
Specially that, he was playing, scoring and got some stars when he was playing with the Amirals ... !

Gerber

is doing pretty well with Oklahoma ... but the way to NHL seems difficult. I guess i must see him much better than what many people see in him because to me, many teams are stupid not picking him up ... he has decent stats and steals games ... and has an irreprochable great locker room attitude and in the package they would have regular season, playoffs experience. But as said, i guess i have a different view on him.

Meyer

Was doing well at a point in time ... until he slumped ... I wonder what his future could be ?

Helbling

I know, he plays in Finland Karpat ... but i wonder what his future is their, how he is playing or doing ? i know that he scored some 2 points so far ... or more but has a -12 ... futher news is welcome.
Could we imagine him going from Finland to the NHL or KHL ?

You understood that i am more opening a discussion on those players than brining news ... since most news are ... old news !
(when news are old )

Last edited by torero: 01-16-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old
01-18-2011, 04:12 AM
swissexpert

Many surprising performances, negative and positive, but overall a great season for Swiss hockey so far.

Positive:

Hiller: All-Star nomination because of All-Star season. Enough said.
Weber: turned into a Habs regular because of injuries. Has an appartement now and willl stay for the season, with some press box games because of the D-rotation.
Sbisa: Showed offensive signs lately. His fast, physical game is already one of the best on the Ducks roster.
Bärtschi: is outscoring last years #4 and #5 Pick in his rookie season. Amazing.
Martschini: good scorer and very fast skater, it's a shame he's just 5'5 and maybe won't see NHL ice in his career.

Negative:

Wick: Can't score on such a high scoring team. RW #4 on the B-Sens. What disappoints me the most is that he still thinks it isn't his fault and he isn't willing to spend all season in the AHL.
Simek: Isn't able to score anymore. He better watches for an NLA club soon.

Last edited by swissexpert: 01-18-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old
01-18-2011, 04:31 AM
swissexpert

removed, since it's not really about NHL/AHL

Last edited by swissexpert: 01-18-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old
01-18-2011, 10:32 AM
holyprime

Quote:
Streit, Hardy, Weber, Von Arx, Fischer, Niederreiter are at least 6 just popping up in my head and I don't know if that's all..?
Sbisa. And Hiller has one or two assists afaik

holyprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:09 AM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyprime View Post
Sbisa. And Hiller has one or two assists afaik
Sbisa hadn't any goals at this point of time. Further, he's not Swiss born.
Hiller didn't score any goals, because that's what he asked.
There are much more Players with points but no goals like Helbling, Riesen, Gerber, Aebischer, Stephan...

Old
01-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Wagiblues

Quote:
Many surprising performances, negative and positive, but overall a great season for Swiss hockey so far.

Positive:

Hiller: All-Star nomination because of All-Star season. Enough said.
Weber: turned into a Habs regular because of injuries. Has an appartement now and willl stay for the season, with some press box games because of the D-rotation.
Sbisa: Showed offensive signs lately. His fast, physical game is already one of the best on the Ducks roster.
Bärtschi: is outscoring last years #4 and #5 Pick in his rookie season. Amazing.
Martschini: good scorer and very fast skater, it's a shame he's just 5'5 and maybe won't see NHL ice in his career.

Negative:

Wick: Can't score on such a high scoring team. RW #4 on the B-Sens. What disappoints me the most is that he still thinks it isn't his fault and he isn't willing to spend all season in the AHL.
Simek: Isn't able to score anymore. He better watches for an NLA club soon.
What are you talking about Roman Wick? Where did you get that from?

Wagiblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:04 PM
swissexpert

I was so disappointed when I read it...

http://slapshot.ch.sportalsports.com...037200000.html (funny, I just saw you wrote the last comment on that story )
"I got it all: the talent, the skating and the size"
-> and the confidence isn't missing, too, huh?

http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/story/24840409
"I'm not just here to play a good AHL season"
-> a good AHL season should be your highest goal, buddy!

Last edited by swissexpert: 01-18-2011 at 12:10 PM.