Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Swiss hockey players in NHL/AHL

Old
09-18-2009, 07:22 AM
torero

vCash: 500
A very interesting article on all swiss legionnaires

http://hockeyfans.ch/background/090915.htm

in german ... yet it can of course be easly translated. A must read for all fans of swiss hockey players abroad.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 08:00 AM
TheNextOneX

Luca Cunti has sign a 10 day try-out with SC Bern. He may spend the entire season in the Swiss NLA.

TheNextOneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:56 PM
torero

While i am disapointed by what happend to Ambuhl and Steiner (they both were ejected from the NHL team ... i still have not understanding if Steiner will be playing with the crunchs or not ...answer in some days )

The broad picture is still impressive.

10 years ago ... only Aebisher would be in NHL or not even that ... Risen and Von arx would have had some games in preseason.
5 yrs ago we would have 2 goalies NHL, 2 AHL players, 1 sweden ... and that is it.

today We have 2 field players (i consider Sbisa or Weber as making the team + Streit) in NHL (1 star among them Streit), 1 goalie that is doing well as NHL player, then we have some AHL players ... around 4 or 5, 2or 3 in inferior NA leagues, 2 field players in Sweden (Modo & ... the ex-champion Faerjestadt), 1 goalie in Germany, 1 goalie in ... the KHL, we also have 1 playing in Italy.

During the year, i am convinced that some AHL'ers will have a shot at the NHL, and if Ambuhl can reinforce his body weight/substance ... he'll be a regular NHL player next year with no doubt.

Looks like the broad image is getting brighter and brighter (breiter und breiter)for swiss hockey.

Strategically, we had explorers 10 years ago, now sections of mercenaries ... let's picture legions for the coming 10 years.

And finally the swiss hockey team will have made the leap in the top hockey countries.

The future is bright, the future is red and white.

PS: Ambuhl will be with the Hartford Wolf packs who obivously proceeded to their last cut. Steiner has not been signed at this point by the Syracuse Crunch but scored a goal in a 3-2 shutout loss vs Senator's B team Binghampton.

Last edited by torero: 09-28-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old
10-05-2009, 03:17 PM
TheFirstSaviour

Caio jungs, hope you've had a great summer.

Weber has been called up with the injuries to O'Bryne and Markov. Good opportunity for him. I was surprised to see Montreal bring in so many Dmen this summer. They really never gave Weber or Subban a chance, in my opinion.

Sbisa played in the Ducks opener on Saturday and saw some time on the PP. You all must be excited about he and Hiller playing together this season.

TheFirstSaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 05:17 PM
torero

Daniel Steiner, best scorer for the Langnau Tigers last years found a tryout position with the Reading Royals, an ECHL farm team of Toronto Maple Leafs and the Boston Bruins.

Good Luck Daniel.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=3913709

So now their are 4 players in the NHL, namely Sbisa and Hiller for the Ducks, Streit for the Islanders and Weber (to replace Markov in some aspects) for the Canadiens.

Old
10-14-2009, 05:20 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Daniel Steiner, best scorer for the Langnau Tigers last years found a tryout position with the Reading Royals, an ECHL farm team of Toronto Maple Leafs and the Boston Bruins.

Good Luck Daniel.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=3913709

So now their are 4 players in the NHL, namely Sbisa and Hiller for the Ducks, Streit for the Islanders and Weber (to replace Markov in some aspects) for the Canadiens.
Happy end for Daniel Steiner He was signed yesterday.
http://www.royalshockey.com/news/news.asp?story_id=914

On the other side, Weber was sent back to Hamilton after having had many negative chriticismes on his games for the Habs. He was not alligned in a pp while it was supposed to be the purpose of him playing for the Habs. (this is where his vision and his sniper skills are most appreciated)

Luca Cunti will finaly play for the SCLangnau Tigers for the year.

Nino Niderreiter : playing for the Winterhawks had in 10 games 4 goals and 6 assists ... 10 pts !

Last edited by torero: 10-14-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old
10-14-2009, 06:03 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
yeah that sucks for Stephan. He busted his a$$ off in the minors for 3 years and this is how he gets rewarded?!?! Playing only a handful of games where he played pretty darn good under the circumstances. Turco played like shiit all season long. Tippett is an idiot, that's for sure.
you were bloody right ! therefore he lost his job.

And Servette has a hell of a goalie with Stephan !!! Pity ... because he could have had much more i felt.

Old
10-28-2009, 06:14 PM
torero

Sbisa was sent down to Letherbridge ...

So only 2 Swiss will be permanently scratching NHL ice this year ... Hiller and Streit.

Wellll ! I hope with all the ones that are in NA ... next year will be a bigger year for swiss mercenaries in the NHL.

Old
11-07-2009, 08:55 AM
torero

Does someone has any news about Ambuhl ??

i am impressed that in 13 games he only has 1 goal and no assist.
i understood that he doesn't get too much ice time ...

Old
11-09-2009, 02:20 AM
jonas234567

It seems that he's stucked in the 3rd or 4th line and doesn't get much ice-time.
According to a media-report I read he tries to get traded but going back to Davos is also a possibility.

jonas234567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 05:24 AM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas234567 View Post
It seems that he's stucked in the 3rd or 4th line and doesn't get much ice-time.
According to a media-report I read he tries to get traded but going back to Davos is also a possibility.
I really hope he stays and tries to work his way up! If he already goes back home, what message does that send to the NHL/AHL teams? One of the best swiss offensive player that we've had in decades already goes back home to Switzerland after not even a year. He needs to work hard, play hard, score some points and he'll soon be on the 1st or 2nd line.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 09:16 AM
TheNextOneX

I also think he should stay. The New York Rangers is a great organization, i hear that he play in the 4th line and is not having much ice time. He's not playing with the most skilled players of the team too. That's explain is poor production. He need to steal the game, and as soon as it happen, can be promoted to the 2nd and 1st line.

If he doesn't succeed, a trade with the Anaheim Ducks would be great as already 2 Swiss players plays in that team.

Sweden has Detroit Red Wings, Switzerland can have Anaheim Ducks as their teams too...

This will have also positive value for the national team, as those players are going to build chemistry with each others.

TheNextOneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2009, 10:33 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
I really hope he stays and tries to work his way up! If he already goes back home, what message does that send to the NHL/AHL teams? One of the best swiss offensive player that we've had in decades already goes back home to Switzerland after not even a year. He needs to work hard, play hard, score some points and he'll soon be on the 1st or 2nd line.
Ambühl only once came close from a point per game average in the NLA, he's far from being the best current Swiss offensive player, let alone the best in decades. He's primarily a defensive player.

Still, I'm surprised his coach doesn't trust him into a better role. Hard to show what you can do on an AHL 4th line.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 04:43 PM
torero

News on Andres Ambuhl ... he will stay in NA for the time being ...

http://www.slapshot.ch/slapshot-news...id=9718&navi=1

Old
11-19-2009, 04:21 AM
dsg89

Found this nice article at Hockeyfans.ch

Unfortunatelly it's german, if someone wants to translate it, feel free to do so

Quote:
Mark Streit und seine „neuen“ Islanders

Von Dennis Schellenberg

Die letzten beiden Saisons mussten die Islanders und ihre Fans leiden, doch heuer scheint es so, als könnte man die ersten Früchte des Wiederaufbaus des Vereines ernten. Die Islanders haben wieder eine konkurrenzfähige Mannschaft.

Nach einem gespielten Viertel der neuen Saison stehen die Islanders in der Mitte der Eastern Conference und somit in direkter Reichweite für einen Playoffplatz. Dies ist eine klare Verbesserung gegenüber der letzten Saison. Wenn die Islanders so weiterspielen, kämen sie auf etwa 80 Punkte am Ende der Saison, verglichen mit den letztjährigen 61 Punkten ist dies eine klare Steigerung.
http://hockeyfans.ch/background/091117.htm

Last edited by stv11: 11-22-2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: quoted entire article
dsg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 05:05 PM
torero

Daniel Steiner (RW) is enjoying a healthy ride in these last games.
With the Reading Royals in ECHL he presently has a 9 games ... 3 goals 12 assists : 15 points stats.

Not bad !!

++

Nino Niederreiter LW with the Portland Winterhawks in WHL is also displaying nice stats with 25 games, 10 goals, 12 assists : 22 points.

++

Alain Berger RW, with Oshwa General scored 6 goals, 7 assists : 13 points in 21 games

++

Not knowing to what point Juraj Simek (LW) is Swiss, he socred for the Norfolk Admirals in AHL 3 goals, 9 assists : 12 points in 19 games.
(if someone has deeper understanding about his nationality ... i will be happy ... my understanding is that he is Swiss but not very proud about it or hides it in order to benefit from the Slovak rep instead of the Swiss rep which is a negative in North America ice hockey.)

++

Now we are waiting on Andres Ambuhl to start driving the same path.
даваи андрес (go Andres go !), (hop Andres), (Allez Andres), (Forza Andres), (Dalle Cana Andres), (chinga los Andres), ...

Old
11-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
With the Reading Royals in ECHL he presently has a 9 games ... 3 goals 12 assists : 15 points stats.

Not bad !!

++

Nino Niederreiter LW with the Portland Winterhawks in WHL is also displaying nice stats with 25 games, 10 goals, 12 assists : 22 points.

++

Alain Berger RW, with Oshwa General scored 6 goals, 7 assists : 13 points in 21 games

++

Not knowing to what point Juraj Simek (LW) is Swiss, he socred for the Norfolk Admirals in AHL 3 goals, 9 assists : 12 points in 19 games.
(if someone has deeper understanding about his nationality ... i will be happy ... my understanding is that he is Swiss but not very proud about it or hides it in order to benefit from the Slovak rep instead of the Swiss rep which is a negative in North America ice hockey.)

++

даваи андрес (go Andres go !), (hop Andres), (Allez Andres), (Forza Andres), (Dalle Cana Andres), (chinga los Andres), ...
just a little note davai is write with й -- давай

11-26-2009, 02:41 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:

Not bad !!

++

++

++

++

I think Slovak nationality and Swiss citizenship would be the best way to put it, though I suppose he might own Slovak citizenship too. He was born in Prešov, SVK to Slovak parents, but their family moved to SUI in 1992, because his dad was a professional handball player, who even used to play for team Czechoslovakia. Simek played for Slovak U16 and U17 teams and wanted to play for the older teams at the WJC etc. as well, however he couldn´t because of the IIHF rule that you have to play 2 years in the league of the country you want to represent. So he is eligible and has played for SUI at the big events U18WHC and WJC and I´d say itś good so since he got his hockey education in Switzerland anyway.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 08:59 PM
torero

Tks for the Davai "давай" and for explanations on Juraj Simek's situation.

I forgot one that is also having a very good year !!!

Nils Berger at the Innisfil Lakers ... he is Forward R ... and in 16 games has 14goals, 18 assists ... 32points and leads his team in scoring points.

++

Andres Ambuhl scored a second goal !

keep your work both !!!

Old
11-29-2009, 08:46 AM
torero

Daniel Steiner, after having lead the scoring with Reading royal in spite of fewer game than his mates (12 games for him vs 17 or 18 for the team) with 4 goals 14 assists ... 18 points.

He was signed for a tryout contract with the Adirondack Phantoms in AHL.

I personnaly like his attitude ... he went for a training camp with the columbus blue jackets (NHL), they didn't take him, then he went for a training camp with the Syracuse Crunchs (AHL), they didn't take him ... so he tried in the ECHL with the Reading Royals ... where he scored beyond the team's expectation. Now he is on tryout with an AHL team.

I highly respect that type of attitude. fighting spirit.

Steiner

Old
11-29-2009, 10:27 AM
koh19

Quote:
Daniel Steiner, after having lead the scoring with Reading royal in spite of fewer game than his mates (12 games for him vs 17 or 18 for the team) with 4 goals 14 assists ... 18 points.

He was signed for a tryout contract with the Adirondack Phantoms in AHL.

I personnaly like his attitude ... he went for a training camp with the columbus blue jackets (NHL), they didn't take him, then he went for a training camp with the Syracuse Crunchs (AHL), they didn't take him ... so he tried in the ECHL with the Reading Royals ... where he scored beyond the team's expectation. Now he is on tryout with an AHL team.

I highly respect that type of attitude. fighting spirit.

Steiner
Wow, great news for Steiner. I was wondering why he wasn't in the lineup on saturday night.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 05:13 PM
torero

One great news following another one, Ambuhl scored again ...
i am convinced he read my post some days ago !!

More seriously i am so happy he found the way of the net again.
In fact i suspect he had more ice time than usual because he had 5 shots on the net ... generally he would have close to no shots.
Great he found the way of the net again.

so now he has 3 goals, 1 assist 4 points .... among which 2 goals in the last 3 games.

давай андрес

Last edited by torero: 11-29-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old
11-30-2009, 03:56 PM
torero

Steiner has returned to the Royal Readings in ECHL ....

Questioning how much he had his chance with Adirondack(AHL) ! ?
After all, this Adirondack team has serious problems in scoring (the only AHL team that hasn't scored 40 goals + last in the division and almost last in AHL tks to a decent defense)... and the guys who chose the players in place and trained them are the same who chose Steiner and sent him back 2 days later .... in other words not very successful people.

I hope that he keeps enjoying the ride with a good ECHL team.

Old
12-05-2009, 08:57 PM
torero

i had the chance to finally watch a game with the Wolf Packs (AHL) ...and Ambuhl. Very interesting. in fact i imagine I understand part of his problems.

He is too fast, too smart and not big and strong enough. He is definitely not paired with players who fit him.
Maybe he is even in an inappropriate team.
I understand that some of these coaches have a very narrow vision of hockey ... some have their style and are not ready to change it in order to optimize the output of a talented but non standard player.

The line where he was in, was simply not following his vision and his game. So he often made passes and didn't receive the puck back or passed the puck to a team mate before entering the camp of the other team. The team mate would be too slow to enter the opponent's zone and Ambuhl would end up off side.
Then he lacks the size (speed + size = momentum(power)) to force the passage as a soliste.

of course difficult to summarize the situation in some lines.

But his situation is difficult. I do not see him succeed in this team. Or if he does, he is ready for a career at the NHL level. Maybe it will require loads of work ... .

Maybe the fact that these AHL teams are farm teams, meaning that the best players will simply not be playing for the team when called for an NHL replacement and the simple turnover among players limits the quality of the collective game.

In fact i was really disapointed by the level of this game. Wolf pack - Scranton Penguins. And for sure our LNA is way above this level. Probably this game wasn't the best the AHL can offer as well.

Old
12-08-2009, 11:13 AM
torero

Steiner ... player of the week at Reading Royals.

http://www.royalshockey.com/assets/a...9%2012-07).pdf

After this 2 days "ausflug" to Adirondack ... .