HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NYR Sign Naslund and Kalinin

Old
07-04-2008, 12:21 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
i still think there is a trade coming....

however, onto the signing of naslund.........i LOVE it........he has the ability to play on the second or first line and pot from 25-35 goals and add 35-45 assists.....he has been playing on a horrible offensive team(and most of the time not with the sedin) and is a leader.....he has speed and a good shot and scores wuite a few goals in around the net.....considering how many people were crying about how much production was being lost after next year adding redden, zherdev and naslund takes a large chunk out of it....also giving drury and gomez more minutes IMO they will get more points and having players like callahan, dawes and dubinsky they will add more points in their second season in the nhl........

on the note of the team not having toughness........detroit wasnt considered a tough team....neither was montreal......and they did just fine this year. they were built on speed and they didnt back down from people and the rangers still have orr when needed.....IMO voros helps as well as i think he will be on the 4th line as well....

a bottom six of:
callahan-dubinsky-korpikoski
byers/voros-betts-orr/byers

IMO that bottom 6 is gritty and tough....much tougher than detroits and montreals last year....

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:22 AM
2Leetch_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preach View Post
it would be VERY interesting if you guys signed Bertuzzi.

i don't know how often you new yorkers have seen him play being 3 hours ahead of our timezone, but he certainly is capable of putting 30 goals, 70+ pts if used properly. with a great set up man in gomez, and an offensively oriented conference, the sky is the limit for naslund.

Naslund will be missed here in Vancouver, he was a total class act and had to put up with A LOT of sh-- here.. most of it undeserved.
Thanks for the info. I'm glad that not all Canucks fans think he's an overpaid washed up has-been. He's obviously not what he used to be but if he was, he'd have gotten a much sweeter deal. 2/8 market for someone that can produce 60-70 points isn't as bad as it sounds this off-season.

2Leetch_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

1st PP Unit

Redden-Staal
Naslund-Gomez-Dawes

2nd Unit
Roszival-Girardi
Dubinsky-Drury-Zherdev

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:32 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i still think there is a trade coming....
I have that feeling too. I can't see it being anything major but something must be in the works. The Rangers have a logjam down in the bottom 6. Maybe Hollweg will get traded or waived to free up a bit more space and Colton Orr could be on his way out with Voros coming in who is more of a dynamic player than both Hollweg and Orr. Rissmiller could be another checking forward. Something small will be done to maybe give the Rangers the little cap room that they need to get Shanny and Mara back in the fold.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:32 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangernick23 View Post
1st PP Unit

Redden-Staal
Naslund-Gomez-Dawes

2nd Unit
Roszival-Girardi
Dubinsky-Drury-Zherdev
I would rather have Zherdev on the first one over Dawes and then Prucha on the 2nd one where Z is.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:39 AM
dank

we're banking a LOT on our new players "breaking out" or "returning to their primes" in NYR... Change of scenery etc.

Redden (downward spiral) we want him to come back
Naslund (less effective) he needs less defensive system
Zherdev (headcase, getting better, super talented) needs to keep progressing
Kalinin (sometimes the worst player, less times great)

etc etc..

i hope they all mesh, and regain what they had in NY.. we'll see..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:42 AM
dank

bottom line:

gotta move on (from Jagr, etc) and take risks!

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

I'm just not sure what we could trade for.

If you're looking to move guys like Callahan, Prucha, etc, you might be able to get a serviceable d-man in return, but it's tough to say. You need to find a team that is really in desperate need for depth guys, which I can't think of too many that are, or find a team who really needs to clear cap. However, I don't see us being able to take on much in the way of salary if we make a move.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:44 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
we're banking a LOT on our new players "breaking out" or "returning to their primes" in NYR... Change of scenery etc.

Redden (downward spiral) we want him to come back
Naslund (less effective) he needs less defensive system
Zherdev (headcase, getting better, super talented) needs to keep progressing
Kalinin (sometimes the worst player, less times great)

etc etc..

i hope they all mesh, and regain what they had in NY.. we'll see..
To some extent, but even if Naslund and Zherdev simply maintain their current level they're two of our top goal scorers.

We're not asking guys who are completely lost to suddenly become stars.

Maybe Redden is no longer a 15 goal, 55 point defenseman. Maybe he is only a 10 goal, 40 point guy. I still think he makes a guy like Staal better and allows Rozy to drop down a line.

Maybe Zherdev never becomes a 40 goal, 80 point player. I still think he's a 25-30 goal, 60 point player.

Maybe Naslund is half the player he was before the lockout. He's still a 25 goal, 55 point player.

Maybe Kalinen is inconsistent. He's still only on a one year contract and probably couldn't be much worse than Backman.

The point is, every season is about maybe's. Have we come so far that we forgot about the question marks surrounding Straka, Nylander and Jagr? For that matter, what about Rozy? Remember the people who hated the Avery trade and wanted nothing to do with him?

It seems to me we're more afraid of change than we are of the belief that we're not as good of a team as last year.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:47 AM
Interior Cascadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Kalinin is a good replacement for Toots, nice move. Makes it like Zherdev and Fritsche came for free.

Anyone got the dollars on either of these contracts?

If we've got the money left, I'd like to see Bertuzzi for the size and we'd be about done.
It would be pretty interesting to see what could be rekindled when Bert and Nazzy are reunited. I would take that chance for the right price on Bert.

Interior Cascadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:47 AM
94now

Great signings! Kalinin is 28, was 18th overall, penned out very well. Will not replace Tyutin, but solid D we need. He is better then whatever Mara became of late.
Naslund could shine in the East. If not, he is cheap at 4 Million.
Good job, Slats.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:57 AM
NYR Viper

call me crazy, but i see a big deal going down for vermette.....ottawa needs some lower line players who will battle and are young to provide energy like comrie and schaefer did......callahan, byers+ for vermette....byers and callahan will probably be 3rd liners with grit and tenacity....

i just see a bigger deal going down that i think sather is working on as he has about 4 million in cap room left

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
call me crazy, but i see a big deal going down for vermette.....ottawa needs some lower line players who will battle and are young to provide energy like comrie and schaefer did......callahan, byers+ for vermette....byers and callahan will probably be 3rd liners with grit and tenacity....

i just see a bigger deal going down that i think sather is working on as he has about 4 million in cap room left
i see vermette+ traded to tampa for boyle

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Preach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyJayhawk View Post
It would be pretty interesting to see what could be rekindled when Bert and Nazzy are reunited. I would take that chance for the right price on Bert.
i dont think it would take very much to sign bertuzzi at this point, and glen sather is the type of GM who would be willing to take a huge gamble on someone seeking redemption.

Preach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:12 AM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
i see vermette+ traded to tampa for boyle
I Think Tampa Bay is going with the "no defenseman" approach this year.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
I Think Tampa Bay is going with the "no defenseman" approach this year.
the funny part is they'll probably get the 5-10 picks in this years draft

Old
07-04-2008, 01:26 AM
Macke*

Someone wanna buy me a Blue Naslund jersey?

Pretty sure he'll be wearing #91.. badass.

Damnit I already have a Canucks white Orca (The first one) jersey...but the call of a Blue Ranger Naslund...oh man.. though I really should get a Messier jersey.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:47 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post
Someone wanna buy me a Blue Naslund jersey?

Pretty sure he'll be wearing #91.. badass.

Damnit I already have a Canucks white Orca (The first one) jersey...but the call of a Blue Ranger Naslund...oh man.. though I really should get a Messier jersey.
haha, definetly rock the Nazzy jersey.

Old
07-04-2008, 01:57 AM
Nemchinov13

Fletch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
when I talk about toughness, I'm talking about top six forwards and top four defensemen. Balance, to me, isn't having skill on the top two lines and grit on the bottom two. Balance is having a guy that can score 25 goals and grind it out.
I see what you mean and I agree with it. But in today's age of cap, the choice was between Naslund and Avery at basically the same cap hit. It's pretty hard to fit both under the cap. And the hole in defence left by the Tyutin trade had to be filled.

Perhaps you can suggest something different. I don't know.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:01 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
I see what you mean and I agree with it. But in today's age of cap, the choice was between Naslund and Avery at basically the same cap hit. It's pretty hard to fit both under the cap. And the hole in defence left by the Tyutin trade had to be filled.

Perhaps you can suggest something different. I don't know.
The choice between Avery and Nazzy also included:

1. Two extra years.

2. A no trade clause.

3. And the widely circulated opinion that Avery had probably worn out his welcome.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
The choice between Avery and Nazzy also included:

1. Two extra years.

2. A no trade clause.

3. And the widely circulated opinion that Avery had probably worn out his welcome.
2 extra years I don't mind - Avery is only 28, but the rest of the points - tough to accept.

So, Edge, are you saying that we've arrived at the current lineup because of the circumstances, rather than through our own will? (I know it's not really "we" and "our" own will - it's all Ranger managment)

Edit: What I'm trying to say is this - we're basically forced into the current lineup with soft top 6.

I'm sorry for being so incomprehensible - It's too ealry in the morning. Hell, I'm probably typing with the thick and heavy Russian accent.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:54 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
2 extra years I don't mind - Avery is only 28, but the rest of the points - tough to accept.

So, Edge, are you saying that we've arrived at the current lineup because of the circumstances, rather than through our own will? (I know it's not really "we" and "our" own will - it's all Ranger managment)

Edit: What I'm trying to say is this - we're basically forced into the current lineup with soft top 6.

I'm sorry for being so incomprehensible - It's too ealry in the morning. Hell, I'm probably typing with the thick and heavy Russian accent.
I think it's a combination of keeping certain goals in mind and also working with what you've got and how the climate is.

I think the Rangers wanted to spread the offense around a bit, even if meant losing that all-in-one star in the process.

I think they didn't think Avery was going to get four years and a no trade clause, and I think most people didn't either.

I think they really thought they had Orpik lined up to go along with Redden and that's what made them feel okay about Zherdev trade.

I think they never really had a chance at Campbell and probably didn't expect Malone to go to TB.

I think they got a lot of the guys they wanted but the real key that they missed was Orpik.

As for the size/toughness, I don't think they're done yet. I think you're going to either see some guys packaged or you're going to see them take a flyer on Bertuzzi.

I think too many people are going with the assumption that Sather thinks he as a perfect team, rather than one that he thinks is better.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:54 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Zherdev is ukrainian...but he holds Russian citizenship.
Actually, he's an ethnic Russian who was born in Ukraine and holds the citizenship of both places. Not that it matters to anyone since Russians and Ukrainians regard themselves as essentially the same in social circumstances. There are some cultural differences, but nobody will have a vodka drinking party just for Ukrainians and not for Russians, or the reverse, for some cultural reasons. Not exactly a Sunni v. Shia rift here.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:57 AM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

I'm not in favor of having zero physicality. But Voros is not really a great solution to that problem either.

I was watching the playoff game wild vs avs on NHL Network....

Voros threw a vicious check on an Avalanche player...right into his own goaltender, which set-up an empty net for Sakic to tie the game up late in the 3rd period. yikes.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:58 AM
2Leetch_94

Well, giving Avery those two extra years would be quite risky, especially if Shanahan and Jagr aren't back. We all love Avery, that's no secret but it's also no secret that Sean's the type of guy that can easily wear out his welcome in a hurry. Giving someone four million a season for four years with a limited no-trade clause that could become a very big cancer in your locker room sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I wish him the best of luck in Dallas. It's not a bad situation to be heading into. But I'm glad that we didn't fold and give into Avery's demands just because he's a fan favorite at the moment. That could change on a spin of a dime if he becomes a distraction and hurts this team more than help in the upcoming seasons.

2Leetch_94 is offline   Reply With Quote