HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

New Jersey-Minnesota snoozefest

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2004, 09:31 PM
sonnytheman

vCash: 500
New Jersey-Minnesota snoozefest

I remember everyone talking about how boring a game this would be at the beginning of the season (I thought the same, to a certain extent).

Well, 8 goals scored and a total of 80 shots, including a hat-trick by Gaborik and 2 goals by Gionta.

Seems to have been pretty exciting if you ask me.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:37 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnytheman
I remember everyone talking about how boring a game this would be at the beginning of the season (I thought the same, to a certain extent).

Well, 8 goals scored and a total of 80 shots, including a hat-trick by Gaborik and 2 goals by Gionta.

The game was fantastic......You couldn't tell by the score, but both goalies made awesome stops and the action was end to end!

Old
02-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
It was a great game and I was thinking about starting a thread on that exact point too. It went back and forth and while it won't go down in the annuals of classic games it was a pretty good one for two "trap" teams.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:39 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

vCash: 560
What...no boring comments yet?

Old
02-17-2004, 09:53 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnytheman

It was just a few weeks ago when Incawg wrote the Patriots vs. Panthers Superbowl game would be as horrendously boring and insidious to watch as a Wild/Devils hockey game in the "Other Sports" forum. Tonights game was anything but that and was as exciting a hockey game as I've seen in quite some time. Wonder if he or she even watched it after ripping on both teams at the beginning of the month. Would love for that poster to step up and comment on it if so.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
It was just a few weeks ago when Incawg wrote the Patriots vs. Panthers Superbowl game would be as horrendously boring and insidious to watch as a Wild/Devils hockey game in the "Other Sports" forum. Tonights game was anything but that and was as exciting a hockey game as I've seen in quite some time. Wonder if he or she even watched it after ripping on both teams at the beginning of the month. Would love for that poster to step up and comment on it if so.
I am not a basher of the trap or either team. But you all need to calm down. It was 1 game. If these 2 teams played 100 times, 90 of the games would be low scoring.

Both teams pride themselves in defense first, but sometimes games like this just develop. It was a very exciting game, but it was also just that...one game. Both teams will continue to play defense first hockey, even after this rare run-and-gun game. Its what made these teams successful, and its what they will need to do to be successful again.

I agree it was a great game...but lets not go overboard.

Thats my 2 cents.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:05 PM
Dorthmall

Send a message via AIM to Dorthmall
Not really a big deal, but it was a total of 70 shots.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:05 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Given the ratio of complaints about the current game vs. positive ones (something like 1,000 to 1 :p ), plaudits to those took the time to acknowledge an entertaining game.

A little positive thought about this still-great sport amidst the sea of gloom.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
I am not a basher of the trap or either team. But you all need to calm down. It was 1 game. If these 2 teams played 100 times, 90 of the games would be low scoring.

Both teams pride themselves in defense first, but sometimes games like this just develop. It was a very exciting game, but it was also just that...one game. Both teams will continue to play defense first hockey, even after this rare run-and-gun game. Its what made these teams successful, and its what they will need to do to be successful again.

I agree it was a great game...but lets not go overboard.

Thats my 2 cents.
I think alot of us are just trying to point out that this style of hockey is neither boring or ugly. I have never watched a hockey game (and this being since 1976) and ever thought to myself "Wow this game is hard to watch", and I can't understand how others not only can think that but they freakin' post it too!

I'll watch any NHL hockey game over the primma donna NBA, the steriod filled MLB and the doing-the-happy-dance-because-I-got-a-****ing-firstdown NFL games.

That was my 2 cents.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
I think alot of us are just trying to point out that this style of hockey is neither boring or ugly. I have never watched a hockey game (and this being since 1976) and ever thought to myself "Wow this game is hard to watch", and I can't understand how others not only can think that but they freakin' post it too!

I'll watch any NHL hockey game over the primma donna NBA, the steriod filled MLB and the doing-the-happy-dance-because-I-got-a-****ing-firstdown NFL games.

That was my 2 cents.

I agree with ya. I dont think any hockey is boring hockey. But some games are more exciting than most. And thats where I think the Devils and Wild get ridiculed. Most fans translate more goals to = more exciting. And for the most part, I agree...to an extent. Because there are ALOT of exciting low scoring games too.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:16 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
I agree with ya. I dont think any hockey is boring hockey. But some games are more exciting than most. And thats where I think the Devils and Wild get ridiculed. Most fans translate more goals to = more exciting. And for the most part, I agree...to an extent. Because there are ALOT of exciting low scoring games too.
Exactly.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
The NHL doesn't need more goals a game to be more exciting, just more scoring chances.

Old
02-17-2004, 11:22 PM
Knucklez

I guess when two trapping teams face each other, they cancel each other out :p

Old
02-17-2004, 11:25 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:

That was my 2 cents.
Nice post! Well said.

Old
02-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:

That was my 2 cents.
Apparently you didnt see the Flames-Wild game on Sunday. That was both incredibly boring, and incredibly ugly. The Wild gave up no chances, and took none. The result? A 2-1 game with 32 shots and 12 scoring chances combined.

Tonight was a fluke. Nothing more. 95% of the time, Wild/Devils hockey is an embarrassment to the sport.

Old
02-18-2004, 12:11 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
Apparently you didnt see the Flames-Wild game on Sunday. That was both incredibly boring, and incredibly ugly. The Wild gave up no chances, and took none. The result? A 2-1 game with 32 shots and 12 scoring chances combined.
This is what I was talking about. I personally feel that any hockey game is exciting, because I simply LOVE hockey. But some games are more exciting than other games. The Flames/Wild game on Sunday was not one of those games. It was rather boring. But boring hockey is still good hockey in my book. But I am sure that I am in the minority.

Old
02-18-2004, 12:28 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
What does Calgary play? *cough the TRAP cough*

Old
02-18-2004, 12:33 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Wild/Devils hockey is an embarrassment to the sport.
More like a testament to the sport and its coaches.

Back in the Gretzky 80's era, there was nothing but offence. Defence couldn't stop the rush and the goaltending was horrid to boot.

Since then, genius coaches perfected the trap in order to beat the super offence, and the goaltenders have gotten much, much better. Once the trap beat out the offence for the Stanley Cup, why wouldn't more teams move to a defensive system?

Until some genius coach out there can develop an offensive system to beat the trap for a Stanley Cup, the trap is here to stay.

Changing rules to stop the trap would be the *****'s way out.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:22 AM
jacketracket*

I actually enjoy watching good defensive hockey teams, and low-scoring games.

Maybe because the CBJ aren't a good defensive team?

Old
02-18-2004, 02:53 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:

That was my 2 cents.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:34 AM
ceber

Quote:

Tonight was a fluke. Nothing more. 95% of the time, Wild/Devils hockey is an embarrassment to the sport.
The Flames snuffed the life out of that game, not the Wild. The Wild were playing poorly, and rather than take advantage of the situation and blow them out of the water, the Flames were content to just shut it down entirely. I'm sure that's not embarrassing to the sport though, huh? That's just good, tight defensive hockey, right?
95% of the time, people who complain about trapping teams are more than willing to turn a blind eye to their own team's play, as long as they win.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:42 AM
ceber

Quote:

The Flames snuffed the life out of that game, not the Wild. The Wild were playing poorly, and rather than take advantage of the situation and blow them out of the water, the Flames were content to just shut it down entirely. I'm sure that's not embarrassing to the sport though, huh? That's just good, tight defensive hockey, right?
95% of the time, people who complain about trapping teams are more than willing to turn a blind eye to their own team's play, as long as they win.

Old
02-18-2004, 12:41 PM
Knucklez

It's not low scoring that's the problem, it's low scoring chances. That 1-0 Vancouver/Colorado game was up there with the most entertaining games the Nucks have played all year, along with the 1-1 Van/Col tie earlier this year.

The games don't need to be 5-4 to be entertaining, 2-1 or 1-0 is fine if there's lots of scoring chances and both goalies are playing great.

Old
02-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Snakeeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
What does Calgary play? *cough the TRAP cough*
Actually, the Flames play a pressure forecheck system. I've seen the Canucks in trapping formations more often than the Flames.

Perhaps you should actually watch a few Flames games before making judgements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Uhh, no. The Wild played a major part in the crap that that game was.

Wild fans turn a blind eye to the joke their franchise is because they won... once.

Old
02-18-2004, 07:53 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Pressure forecheck system...sounds like the Wild system of play...

So it's the trap if the Wild play and a pressued forecheck system if the Flames play?

And how many times have the Flames won...oh yeah once and haven't gone back since...

Closed Thread