HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Satisfied with the offseason so far?

View Poll Results: Satisfied with the offseason so far?
Yes, we're younger, faster, and more team-oriented 49 59.04%
No, much more needs to be done 4 4.82%
No, losing Jagr was terrible and way too much turnover 11 13.25%
I'm not sure yet 19 22.89%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-03-2008, 05:10 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Satisfied with the offseason so far?

Are we satisfied with the moves that have been made? Take into account the turnover, the youth movement, salary cap status.

I'm happy. I like getting younger and losing the Jagr-centric focus. We still have some wiggle room under the cap and the players to make some additional deals.

Again, this is a poll gauging satisfaction SO FAR! Things will obviously change.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Forever Blue

I'm happy. Even if it means taking a step down next year (which I don't see being the case), I'm glad they're changing the philosophy now instead of waiting another year.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

I'm happy about the moves we've made but at the same time apprehensive hoping the team can gel together quickly

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:21 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
I'm happy about the moves we've made but at the same time apprehensive hoping the team can gel together quickly
I think it will be easier since it will be more of getting lines together instead of focusing who is going to fit with Jagr.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:25 PM
gmanwrx

fast with the puck, and alot of players that shot the Damn puck!!!!

scoring is not an issue this season.

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

meh, im kinda pissed that JJ is gone. but other than that im good.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:27 PM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save By Richter View Post
I'm happy. Even if it means taking a step down next year (which I don't see being the case), I'm glad they're changing the philosophy now instead of waiting another year.
That's the way I see it.

Worst case scenario, this team takes a little bit of a step back offensively, though it's not like there is THAT MUCH to replace. Shanny (23), Jagr (25), Avery (15) and Straka (14) only combined for 77 goals. And they weren't all that likely to score more than 77 goals combined this season, because Shanny and Strakas numbers were probably gonna drop and I wasn't seeing a huge increase in Jagrs numbers.

Conversely, we added Zherdev (26), Fritsche (10), and Naslund (25), and that's 61 goals right there. So we're short like 16 goals.

I think we can find 16 goals between improvements from Zherdev, Fritsche, Dawes, Korpi, the increased offensive ability from our D, etc.

Like I said, even if we take a step back offensively, it's short term. The transition away from Jagr/Shanny/Straka had to begin some time. You were never going to replace Jagr so whenever you chose to do it, it would be a "net loss."

Maybe some wanted to milk out another year and another Cup run from Jagr, but how far did we get with him? The second round. Twice.

I'm encouraged by the parting of ways because it represents the construction of a philosophical approach that I feel is going to be better for winning Cups in the long haul. Adding in Anisimov, Cherepanov, Grachev, etc, in the future, combined with adding another 2 highly regarded defensemen (Sangs and Del Zotto) in front of a Vezina caliber goalie, and this team has the makings of a year-in, year-out contender for a LONG time.

Even if you don't win the Cup this year.

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:28 PM
TrojanRanger

I'd still like to see a big body in the top 6 (Bernier please) but other than that, I can't complain too much.

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I'm REALLY pissed that Jagr AND Avery are gone. My two favorites. Adding Zherdev, Naslund, and Redden was pretty sweet though.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Other than the Zherdev deal it's been a dark sad time in NYR history. You guy love it cause it give ya a real chance at that Tavaras kid.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:32 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

the only "problem" i think we have is the logjam at forward.
14 players, + Korpikoski. If he's the only rookie forward to make the team, I'll be fine with that but you've got to be wondering how they will have room for Anisimov and Cherepanov next season. Greg Moore? Byers? Doesn't look like they have a prayer. Too bad.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 05:35 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Other than the Zherdev deal it's been a dark sad time in NYR history. You guy love it cause it give ya a real chance at that Tavaras kid.
Jesus man... Let us have some fun, we're excited, and a lot of us feel there's real reason for optimism for success the upcoming season. Quit raining on our parade!

Old
07-03-2008, 05:41 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Yesterday i mentioned that the next move Sather made would tell us where this team was heading, and also solidify his tenure here as a GM, because he basically had a clean canvas to reassemble this team with a plethora of options including Jagr and Sundin.

Personally i wanted Sather to go after younger players with upside to compliment Gomez and Drury and stay away from the past 35 yr old veteran 2 year deals. I echoed the statements of others here urging Sather to get "creative" and this was the time to make some trades.

That next move he made was the Zherdev move, and IMo it was one of the best moves Sather has ever made in his career and one of the best trades any Rangers Gm had made. It basically fell in their lap, it had to. To be able to clear Backmans salary and still get a true legit top 6 threat thats 6'0 205 and 23 years old - for the price of a decent young defensman that was home grown - is remarkable to me.

As far as Sathers career goes, i think he made it a little more positive in my eyes, but he will always been seen as going after the big names and shelling out the years and cash. The Redden deal was a perfect example, though it looks a lot better now considering they surrounded the core of the team (him included) with some bonafide talent.

The depth signings of Fritsche, Voros and Rissmiller deepened the team, but also made them bigger and more honed. It also gave them the flexibilty to makesome moves if need be, and it still frees up a player or two, them included, who can be moved now or at the deadline.

I kinda came to terms that we were going to lose Jagr right after the handshakes, so that wasnt a big deal not seeing him come back. If anyone read my posts the past two months, i was willing to go in any other direction but to have him back because i thought his chances were up. I know some disagree but thats how i felt.

Now to the Naslund deal. I also have come to terms with the fact that Sather is going to get the big name regardless. Rangers fans are just going to have to deal with the fact that he is going to go after the big star(s) whether we like it or not and its comes with the territory of being in Manahattan. With that said, Sather was patient the past few years in July (yes, before last year), then picked up his centers to build around last year. Now he went out and got creative AND signed talent. The fact that its Marcus Naslund has me very excited. Not only is he a star, hes a great quiet leader, a great man off the ice and thats great in this city to have.

I cna go on and on about how i feel, but im happy about were this team is now. Of course, the chemistry could be a problem because of all the new faces, but lets face it. Jagr was on the fence since the end of the season, Avery was back and forth, Shanny and Straka were on their way out and Rozy was a maybe.
There was going to be changes regardless.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:17 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'm surprised with the poll results thus far. 22-6 in terms of being happy vs. being unhappy.

Old
07-03-2008, 06:17 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
  • Sign Shanny for 2 M & put him on the 4th line with PP duty on 2nd unit
  • Sign the 3 RFAs the we might need to bring in (Sjostring, Dawes & Fritsche)
  • Deal for Doug Murray with one of our plethora of extra forwards
  • Sign Hutchinsson or bring up Pock
  • Send at least one (or more) of our extra fwds packing for picks, prospects and/or AHLers
  • Wait until February to see results of this new team "Gelling" like a MOFO
There ya go

Zherdev - Gomez - Näslund
Dawes - Drury - Korpedo
Prucha/Fritsche - Dubinsky - Callahan/Rissmiller
Voros/Orr - Betts - Shanny/Sjöström

1-2 of above will be dealt ? or not resigned as RFAs
Jämtin ?? AHL
Hollweg - adios

Redden - Staal
Rozie - Girardi
Kalinin - Murray

Pock/Hutch

Hank
Vally

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 06:21 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
i really don't see issues coming with the lines because Renney isn't facing catering to Jagr and focusing on what will work with Jagr. Now he can look at all his players and put them together without having to work around just one player.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Overall I am not truly satisfied. I think this team was still very much a contender, but a couple of pieces needed to be tweaked. I do not whatsoever like Avery's departure. I loved the guy, and could care less about his off-ice antics. To me, he played a hard-nosed in your face style of hockey that was contagious. With him gone, I don't think the Ranger are going to be able to replace that, plus... being that you have a successul player that reached cult here status here n NY, that wanted to continue to play here...I thinka good GM gets that deal done.

Next, I till see a need for a big physical defenseman. I thought they would address that longterm with the draft this year, being that there were a few guys that could fill that hole via this years draft. It didn't happen, so I figured they would address the situation via free agency. Well the offer was there, but it didn't get done. Guess Brooks didn't want to play here, or maybe Renney and Sather and company don't feel there is a need for a big physical defenseman. But, with the abundance of 3rd and 4th liners on the club, and really only 5 definates for the defense next season, maybe Sather can pull off a deal. Say, Peter Prucha, and Blair Betts for Garnett Exelby, and a late round pick? Being that Atlanta drafted both Bogosian and Paquette, maybe they are willing to now part with Exelby?

Onto the forwards. I think the Rangers got the better of the deal for 1 season anyway in the Zherdev/Tyutin deal. This guy is an RFA next year, and I think Zherdev is going to be looking for good money, and I could see a long drawn out arbitration case here...But that is thinking too far ahead. Naslund I really like, and glad he is a NY Ranger, but i have to say that I would have liked it a lot better if Jagr was playing the other side.

I might be happies about Voros. I think he is going to become a fan favorite in NY.

But in the end for not addressing the need for a physical defenseman, missing the boat on Campbell and offering Redden a similar amount of money, I think the Rangers would have been better off getting Cambell, and keeping Jagr and Avery...but that's just my opinion.

Hopefully the new additions will pan out for Renney and company.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Other than from getting Zherdev, and Redden. I hate it. i cant believe JJ isnt coming back.

Old
07-03-2008, 10:51 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Sadly, that's not gonna happen. I'll bet you $2 this team is incapable of finishing bottom 4 in the league. There's just too much talent, and Hank alone steals us enough games to keep us away from the bottom. That said, missing the playoffs is certainly possible if things go poorly.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Edge

My god people, was an ageing, 25 goal Jagr at $6-million plus really that vital to us avoiding this apparent doomsday?

You do realize we've now added two guys who just scored as many goals right? And you do realize that one of these guys is 23 right?

I think people have to come rely on Jagr for so long that they can't allow themselves to imagine life without him.

If this team struggles with two legit scorers playing with Gomez, than they were probably going to struggle with Jagr anyway.

You would think we just moved into a phase with Jeff Toms are the centerpiece of our offensive gameplan. Enough already!

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:55 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

I'm happy because the Rangers signed Redden, the D-man I wanted, the prototype D-man for Renney's system, and, the perfect partner/mentor for Staal...again $9 million too much and 1 year too long, but that's the market.

I'm happy about getting a potential stud forward in Zherdev, who if he develops properly and matures, can be a perennial 40 goal scorer. I also like getting Fritsche.

I am disappointed that Jagr is not coming back, but, the truth is, the Rangers are moving to a different stage.

Last edited by jas: 07-03-2008 at 11:03 PM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
My god people, was an ageing, 25 goal Jagr at $6-million plus really that vital to us avoiding this apparent doomsday?

You do realize we've now added two guys who just scored as many goals right? And you do realize that one of these guys is 23 right?

I think people have to come rely on Jagr for so long that they can't allow themselves to imagine life without him.

If this team struggles with two legit scorers playing with Gomez, than they were probably going to struggle with Jagr anyway.

You would think we just moved into a phase with Jeff Toms are the centerpiece of our offensive gameplan. Enough already!
I dont think it is as much of people going mad because he wont be in Ranger blue, but rather than Penguin Black--again or Oiler Blue.

Old
07-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

INC so far for me, I still think Sather has a couple moves that he needs to make. Other then that, I approve thus far.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
I dont think it is as much of people going mad because he wont be in Ranger blue, but rather than Penguin Black--again or Oiler Blue.
But I don't really see how this team continues to build around a 36 year-old with declining skills. It's not like he was going to come cheap and for one-year anyway.

So right off the bat you would have to invest at least $5-million a year for two years. And you'd still have to find him guys to play with because our team doesn't seem to have a guy who can do that without question.

Sign Jagr and you can forget about turning the keys over to Drury and Gomez. You can forget about trying to speed up your offense and you can forget about getting another scoring forward to play on Jagr's line.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 11:10 PM
The Thomas J.*

A simple MEH should have been a poll option.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote