HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

HF Staff: Who Wrote Kevin Poulin's Talent Analysis?

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

vCash: 500
HF Staff: Who Wrote Kevin Poulin's Talent Analysis?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/kevin_poulin

Quote:
An athletic and reactionary net minder, Poulin has shown streaks of world beating ability and also periods when it appears he canít stop a beach ball. Extremely quick between the pipes, heíll do anything to stop the puck, often making acrobatic saves. However, it is the fundamentals where he struggles, as he finds himself forced into those exciting moves due to poor positioning and an inability to control rebounds. When he is on his game, he can stonewall the opposition, but when he isnít, close your eyes.
Seriously? That's a tad bit unprofessional. Yes it's entertaining but I think it kinda takes away from the site's credability I think.

If you need writers just ask

Old
07-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Kevin Forbes

I wrote it. I was paraphrasing a quote of a scout (I also included a similar quote from a different scout in my article on Poulin: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._kevin_poulin/)

How it happened was I was writing the profiles in a bundle and just wanted to get a bit creative on what sometimes is stale prospect profile writing ("skates well for his size" "nose for the net" "useful on both ends of the ice", our profiles are rife with these phrases, so much so, it sometimes feels that instead of describing a player, you're merely tacking catch-phrases together). There are only so many ways to say a pro (or con) of a player and I tried to spice it up.

I'll bring this to my editor's attention and see what their thoughts are.

Last edited by Kevin Forbes: 07-04-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old
07-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Warm Cookies
Til Death Do Us Part

If it's accurate, I don't see the problem. Redline Report regularly makes this look like kid gloves.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

vCash: 50
Whatever gets the point across. Keep up the great work Kevin.

07-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Bumjoo Wang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
If it's accurate, I don't see the problem. Redline Report regularly makes this look like kid gloves.
Exactly. I don't know a thing about the player in question, but I think this kind of writing is better than some of the dry sentences that are often used to describe prospects.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/kevin_poulin

Seriously? That's a tad bit unprofessional. Yes it's entertaining but I think it kinda takes away from the site's credability I think.

If you need writers just ask
So someones opinion makes them unprofessional to you. Ridiculous, how many times on this very message board has the term can't stop a beach ball been used?

this place turns whinier everyday.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Kevin Forbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
how many times on this very message board has the term can't stop a beach ball been used?
I should hope my writing for Hockey's Future is held in a bit higher esteem then just message board vernacular and I think, in this case, that is the exact question at hand.

Anyway, I've sent a message forward to the powers that be. It's in their hands. Thanks everyone.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:52 PM
PhoPhan

Honestly, I prefer stuff like this. God forbid somebody injected some personality when writing about sports.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Honestly, I prefer stuff like this. God forbid somebody injected some personality when writing about sports.
In an editorial that's expected that personality shine through but in something informative you really want to keep your opinion an voice out of it.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Seriously, I think the OP needs to get over himself. He thinks he's a message board God. Just a lame attempt to show his desperation in wanting to write for HF.

Kevin, thanks for your contributions. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the profile you made. I had previously written off HF's prospect profiles as run of the mill, weak, and not serious, but seeing Poulin's write up gives me a different opinion now.

This is being made a bigger problem than it really is.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
I should hope my writing for Hockey's Future is held in a bit higher esteem then just message board vernacular and I think, in this case, that is the exact question at hand.
I don't think that is even a problem. You're talking about an audience extremely well versed on hockey prospects and the medium of scouting. Every year, they read a ton of scouting information and culminate it by reading around 5 or so Draft Guide publications.

You are definately going to see these message board posters use same terminology and scouting speak that "professionals" use.

Closed Thread