HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jagr to the Pens still?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2008, 09:33 PM
  #26
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
Rangers are a joke.
I don't think so. I think like the Penguins they had to act for their best interests.

If Jagr really was seriously considering either the Rangers or Penguins, he needed to make a decision quickly (and by quickly, I mean as of July 1st). Both teams had key people they needed to replace, and couldn't afford to drag their feet waiting on what Jagr wanted to do and risk ending up with nothing. The Rangers moved on and signed Naslund, the Pens nabbed Satan. Bird in the hand.

Of course, you'll be more privy to the Rangers dealings than I.

clefty is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 09:34 PM
  #27
Arpeggio
Registered User
 
Arpeggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Sources in Edmonton say that Lowe has told Pat Brisson not to do anything until contacting the Oil first.

Probably doesn't mean much but, Katz is certainly wanting to make a splash this off-season.

If I had to put odds on it:

Russia: 50%
Pittsburgh: 49%
Edmonton: 1%
Who said this? Was it a member of the Edmonton media?

Arpeggio is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 09:34 PM
  #28
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Staal wont be with us very long, he already came out and said he does not see himself staying here very long.
Link, or quit going on hearsay, conjecture, and misrepresentation.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 09:45 PM
  #29
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
Are you sure about that, because the feeling i got on the oilers board was that...


Edmonton: 900%
Penguins: a collective LOL
Russia: BUT HE"S CZECH THEY IS ENEMIES!!!?!!

(wait, are we allowed to joke or am i going to get gassed for this and thrown in a ditch?)

It's hard to compete when you were best pals with the owner during his playing days, even if they didn't get along as much when he came back out of retirement, its hard to still be mad with that kind of history.
Oiler fans are huge homers, at least the ones on this board.

None-the-less I love my team and city. Most of the fans are really cool but some are just ignorant.

OilerFan4Life is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 09:46 PM
  #30
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Who said this? Was it a member of the Edmonton media?
Bob Stauffer.

I respect him and I trust his word. Not sure if Brisson will actually listen to that and come to Edmonton with Pittsburgh's offer.

OilerFan4Life is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 09:50 PM
  #31
vcx*
 
vcx*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Penguins Fan
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Oiler fans are huge homers, at least the ones on this board.

None-the-less I love my team and city. Most of the fans are really cool but some are just ignorant.
Goes for every fan base on here though.

Looks like Jagr might return to the Pens but if its for more than 5m, i'm not a happy camper at all. With Sydor and Scuds moved, it gives the pens just around or close to 1m in cap space and that's tight. More than that, someone has to go and i'd rather keep whomever is there right now. No more losing more people damn it.

vcx* is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 09:53 PM
  #32
Arpeggio
Registered User
 
Arpeggio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Bob Stauffer.

I respect him and I trust his word. Not sure if Brisson will actually listen to that and come to Edmonton with Pittsburgh's offer.
Good to know, just wanted to make sure it wasn't just a poster or something.

And if Jagr is actually willing to come here, Brisson would be irresponsible if he didn't come back to Lowe and see if he would top it. That is his job, no?

Arpeggio is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 10:02 PM
  #33
Wheatking
Registered User
 
Wheatking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Good to know, just wanted to make sure it wasn't just a poster or something.

And if Jagr is actually willing to come here, Brisson would be irresponsible if he didn't come back to Lowe and see if he would top it. That is his job, no?
Well, considering the Oilers are probably willing to match any offer I'd say it's in his clients best interests. I wouldn't be surprised if Lowe was willing to go to 7.5M. Katz wants to get that "big name" and he seems to be a pretty convincing guy.

Wheatking is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 10:03 PM
  #34
CrosbyMalkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
Goes for every fan base on here though.

Looks like Jagr might return to the Pens but if its for more than 5m, i'm not a happy camper at all. With Sydor and Scuds moved, it gives the pens just around or close to 1m in cap space and that's tight. More than that, someone has to go and i'd rather keep whomever is there right now. No more losing more people damn it.
If we sign Jagr I will be thrilled no matter what the price is. I don't see Scuderi as part of the package with Sydor. Scuderi is only making $700,000. I think we will trade Sydor for a late round pick to some team. Some teams did not get the D they needed in UFA so there are teams looking for a decent vet like Sydor. He is still a decent 3rd pairing dman. His price is what is not great. Maybe he goes to a team that needs to get above the cap.

Jagr makes the Pens the best in the East by a large margin and puts us with Wings overall.

Satan-Crosby-Jagr
Staal-Malkin-Sykora
Fedotenko-Talbot-Dupuis
Taffe-Brent-Kennedy (Godard as enforcer when needed)

Orpik-Gonchar
Whitney-Eaton
Gill-Letang
Scuderi as 7th dman
Goligoski as injury call up (best dman in the AHL)

Fleury
Sabourin

That is a much stronger line up than last year.


Last edited by CrosbyMalkin: 07-03-2008 at 10:15 PM.
CrosbyMalkin is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 10:08 PM
  #35
hockeydadx2*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Staal wont be with us very long, he already came out and said he does not see himself staying here very long.
That's totally bogus. If not, show me a link. There hasn't been a single remark that has been quoted from Staal since the Cup finals.

hockeydadx2* is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 10:20 PM
  #36
MeatCat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Send sydor and a pick to LA!!! Lord knows we need to pay someone and we could use a level headed vet on the bench with our defense basically being stripped down to Preissing and Johnson.

MeatCat is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 10:22 PM
  #37
Metallian*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 13,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
The Edmonton Oilers and Pittsburgh Penguins are considered the frontrunners
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242379&l...headlines_main

Metallian* is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 10:25 PM
  #38
Levizk
Registered User
 
Levizk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Monroeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloking View Post
Send sydor and a pick to LA!!! Lord knows we need to pay someone and we could use a level headed vet on the bench with our defense basically being stripped down to Preissing and Johnson.
If LA would take Tampa's 3rd rounder that the Pens acquired for the rights to Malone and Roberts, I think the Pens would probably be down with it although to make the trade legal I think the Kings have to send some AHLer back the other way.

Levizk is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 10:42 PM
  #39
CrosbyMalkin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,351
vCash: 500
The Kings would be a good fit. They are $13 million under the min. and have only 4 NHL dmen signed for next season. I think we could get that deal done.

Sydor for a 7th round pick.

Atlanta is about $10 million under the min. and they only have 5 NHL experienced dmen signed so they might also be willing to take Sydor.

Sydor still is a decent 3rd pairing dman, it is just his price tag which for those teams should not be a problem.

To get Jagr I would give Sydor away and I think we could get some takers.

CrosbyMalkin is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 10:43 PM
  #40
DreamCatcher*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Your Mind
Country: United Nations
Posts: 4,230
vCash: 500
Looks like it may not happen according to theinsideronpittsburghsports.com,

Quote:
. The latest on Jagr from one of my insiders --- "Jagr and Lemieux had a long talk during the playoff series. Lemieux told Jags that he saw the old fire in his eyes. It somehow got to the statement Jagr made at one point about wanting to finish his career in Pittsburgh. Lemieux said if Jagr was ever available, he would love to see him in a Penguin uniform. Something about unfinished business and trying to clear the animosity the Pens fans had with Jagr.The Pens put it out there and Jagr hesitated, so I don't know if it will go any further. I don't expect Lemieux will push it any more than he already did. I have the Pens with 3 million left under the cap. So signing Jagr is not likely" According to another source, "there is mutual interest from both sides but until Shero clears some salary its a longshot"

DreamCatcher* is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 10:58 PM
  #41
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,603
vCash: 500
So, i'm curious Penguins fans.

Being a big CHL, especially WHL fan, are Ryan Stone and Jonathan Filewich not ready to step into the big club next year??

I'm really not sure where there progress is but, i'm assuming it's not that good with the Fedotenko signing. I really like the Satan signing but, the Fedo signing has me confused.
That money clearly could've been used on Jagr.


Just my 2 cents.

OilerFan4Life is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 11:01 PM
  #42
Greaves
Registered User
 
Greaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
I'm gone for a few hours and I come back and all I see is Jagr Jagr Jagr. Holy smokes... if this is true and Shero/Mario gets Jagr to put on a Penguins jersey again I will... I dunno. I'm in shock. **** SHERO MAKE IT ****ING HAPPEN!

Greaves is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 11:03 PM
  #43
Dupree13
Registered User
 
Dupree13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
So, i'm curious Penguins fans.

Being a big CHL, especially WHL fan, are Ryan Stone and Jonathan Filewich not ready to step into the big club next year??

I'm really not sure where there progress is but, i'm assuming it's not that good with the Fedotenko signing. I really like the Satan signing but, the Fedo signing has me confused.
That money clearly could've been used on Jagr.


Just my 2 cents.
There's a good chance Stone could be up. He's considered our 3rd line scrapper/agitator of the future. I've heard that his skating isn't up to par though.

Filewich I'm not sure. He had a real nice year 2 years ago in the AHL and back then he was considered on the cusp but this past year he regressed pretty badly for some reason so his status right now is uncertain.

Dupree13 is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 11:03 PM
  #44
voxel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 10,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
The Kings would be a good fit. They are $13 million under the min. and have only 4 NHL dmen signed for next season. I think we could get that deal done.

Sydor for a 7th round pick.

Atlanta is about $10 million under the min. and they only have 5 NHL experienced dmen signed so they might also be willing to take Sydor.

Sydor still is a decent 3rd pairing dman, it is just his price tag which for those teams should not be a problem.

To get Jagr I would give Sydor away and I think we could get some takers.
I think Sydor + 3rd for leftover AHL scrubs would work. I doubt Kings + Thrashers would be willing to give up any real assets (or even a 7th).

voxel is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 11:16 PM
  #45
newyorkrangers11
 
newyorkrangers11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
If we sign Jagr I will be thrilled no matter what the price is. I don't see Scuderi as part of the package with Sydor. Scuderi is only making $700,000. I think we will trade Sydor for a late round pick to some team. Some teams did not get the D they needed in UFA so there are teams looking for a decent vet like Sydor. He is still a decent 3rd pairing dman. His price is what is not great. Maybe he goes to a team that needs to get above the cap.

Jagr makes the Pens the best in the East by a large margin and puts us with Wings overall.

Satan-Crosby-Jagr
Staal-Malkin-Sykora
Fedotenko-Talbot-Dupuis
Taffe-Brent-Kennedy (Godard as enforcer when needed)

Orpik-Gonchar
Whitney-Eaton
Gill-Letang
Scuderi as 7th dman
Goligoski as injury call up (best dman in the AHL)

Fleury
Sabourin

That is a much stronger line up than last year.
You are replacing Hossa with either Jagr, or Satan. Both right now at least, much worse, less intense players. I don't thing your lineup looks stronger. Definently threatening as it was last year and will continue to be. Your Defense... is... well.. identical. Satan can either give you a 5 goal game, or a 5 turnover to a goal game. Streaky at best. Jagr's REGULAR season numbers have just been decreasing. Make it to the playoffs (which i'm sure you will) and he'll attempt to put on the performance he did with us this year. I respect Jagr and will respect his decision.

newyorkrangers11 is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 11:35 PM
  #46
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
So, i'm curious Penguins fans.

Being a big CHL, especially WHL fan, are Ryan Stone and Jonathan Filewich not ready to step into the big club next year??

I'm really not sure where there progress is but, i'm assuming it's not that good with the Fedotenko signing. I really like the Satan signing but, the Fedo signing has me confused.
That money clearly could've been used on Jagr.


Just my 2 cents.
Stone's skating has been holding him back, and Filewich's everything else has, to put it bluntly. Stone has a real opportunity this year with all the Pens defections, so we'll see what happens.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 11:36 PM
  #47
CertifiedPublicGuin
Registered User
 
CertifiedPublicGuin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkrangers11 View Post
You are replacing Hossa with either Jagr, or Satan. Both right now at least, much worse, less intense players. I don't thing your lineup looks stronger. Definently threatening as it was last year and will continue to be. Your Defense... is... well.. identical. Satan can either give you a 5 goal game, or a 5 turnover to a goal game. Streaky at best. Jagr's REGULAR season numbers have just been decreasing. Make it to the playoffs (which i'm sure you will) and he'll attempt to put on the performance he did with us this year. I respect Jagr and will respect his decision.
The Pens won their division without the likes of Hossa, Dupuis, and Gill in the lineup, all season long, with 0 legitimate wingers, apart from a streaky Sykora. They are in better shape right now than at the same time last season, not to mention the season doesn't start now, but 3 months from now, when most teams will have likely tweaked their rosters in some way. Compared to last year at this point in time, the Pens are an improved team.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 11:36 PM
  #48
pensfan6871
 
pensfan6871's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: the internets
Country: United States
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
i would love for jags to come back to pittsburgh. i hope shero can make it happen...i just dont see him being able to,

pensfan6871 is offline  
Old
07-03-2008, 11:57 PM
  #49
HatTrick89
Registered User
 
HatTrick89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,195
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HatTrick89
Their is a better chance of him signing with the Devils than the Penguins...What are the Penguins gonna do...trade Satan? They would have to do a salary dump to get Jagr...no way it's happening, unless they wanna move Whitney for an aging superstar.

HatTrick89 is offline  
Old
07-04-2008, 12:01 AM
  #50
vcx*
 
vcx*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Penguins Fan
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,783
vCash: 500
They won't be able to because at 36yrs old, Jagr still thinks he's a top dollar player. I hope shero passes.

The hopes of Jagr being a guy that takes a pay cut to join a team he has a chance at a cup with is just a pipe dream, nothing more nothing less. Why even bother getting our hopes up? As pens fans we went through having Jagr and him being our "Malkin" early in the 90's to Lemieux (our Crosby at that time).

I wanted Jagr to come back, just so i don't have to hate the guy for the way he left and everything but i guess somethings never change. At least Naslund living in reality and took a 4m/yr offer to play on a team he has a better shot at going deep in the playoffs with. Jagr, not as bright.

vcx* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.