HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Best team in the east so far...

Old
07-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Here are my current contenders for top spot in the east in order of likelihood:

Pittsburgh
Philly
Montreal - if they can land Sundin, I would move them to first
New Jersey
NY Rangers
Phillie??

They barely made the playoffs last year and lost a few players in the off season(Umberger Smith Prospal ) and added nobody of significance. I don't see Biron's lucky playoff run translating to a whole season.

Pittsburgh even by losing a lot of their supporting cast is still #1 to me...the Habs should be 2nd, some guys might drop in production(Kovalev Plekanec) but others should bounce back(Koivu Tanguay) and a few young guys have upside(A and S Kostystyn Latendresse).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Stiffler

Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Phillie??

They barely made the playoffs last year and lost a few players in the off season(Umberger Smith Prospal ) and added nobody of significance. I don't see Biron's lucky playoff run translating to a whole season.
Totally agree on that, going to the conference finals is one thing, but they were not a very good team most of the year. Brière really got going only when Prospal came in and Gagné might never be the same after suffering his concussions. Add to that the loss of players they suffered and the question mark on Biron (which is debatable, but I go along saying that he cannot stand on his head like that for a full season). I think Philly will battle for a playoff spot again this year, not battle for first place.

IMO, Pittsburgh still has its big guns, NJ will be on top as long as Brodeur says so, the Rangers will be in the picture IF Redden and Naslund get back to form, Boston will bore the hell out of everybody playing the trap for a playoff spot, Carolina and Washington will again battle for top spot in their division (with Carolina winning this time) and Ottawa still has all the tools to rebound (Redden is a loss, but their defense is still good enough for the regular season). However, on paper, I think we are the best in the eastern conference.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Phillie??

Pittsburgh even by losing a lot of their supporting cast is still #1 to me...the Habs should be 2nd, some guys might drop in production(Kovalev Plekanec) but others should bounce back(Koivu Tanguay) and a few young guys have upside(A and S Kostystyn Latendresse).
They are a young and improving team. It's close, but as the rosters stand I think they will continue to improve, will add a couple of more young guys and have Gagne with the team the whole year.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Bermy

The Flyers are a young team like Montreal and are improving every year. I think they will definately make the playoffs

Bermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:24 PM
blah141

1- Pittsburgh
2- Montreal
3- Washington
4- New Jersey
5- Philly

mbey

blah141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Todd Elik

Send a message via AIM to Todd Elik
to me it does not matter who is tops in the east because I think Detorit is the best team in the past 10-15 years.

Todd Elik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKmtl View Post
I'm not to sure.
I mean anyone playing with guys like Crosby and Malkin can get a boost in production, as we saw with guys like Armstrong and Malone.
And let's not forget Satan used to be a pretty gifted offesnively in Buffalo.
Isn't it possible for him to regain form somewhat playing with such good centers?
Maybe it will, but unlike those guys, he's not a young guy. As for Fedotenko, I don't think he'll be able to keep it really. In 7years, his best season is a 41pt one.
But if Sykora can net 28G..im sure Satan should be able to do it as well.
Still, I really doubt they'll win the cup with those players part of their top6 and with not one change to their D, which was their obvious weak point.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Pittsburgh
Philly
Montreal - if they can land Sundin, I would move them to first
New Jersey
NY Rangers
You do know Pittsburgh and Philly are in the same division so can't be 1st and 2nd right?..
Philly 1st?..really??..They're still over the cap btw, so something will have to go.
Biron won't be as lucky as he was vs us during the whole year. Philly won't come close to finishing 1st. I really wish the best to Simon Gagné but its been way too long we saw him play with quality players and in shape. Nobody can know how he'll bounce back.
Their D is still very weak as well.

Philly will finish again around 5-6th

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Maxpac

Buffalo has now lost Streve Bernier for a 2nd and 3rd round pick, stupid decision imo to get rid of a player who's about to start producing big time

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Sorry, no disrespect intended, but the answer is Pittsburgh. Surely the primary goal of any eastern team is to represent its conference in the Stanley Cup Finals, not accrue the highest point total during the regular season.
That's true, but as much as the Stanley cup counts, you can't discount the 82 previous games either. Otherwise what is the point of the season? Besides whenever I hear the term "top team in the east" its ALWAYS related to the team at the top of the season standings.

I'm not disrespecting the Pens, I just find it funny that people automatically assume that Montreal will come in 3rd or 4th in the east when they have essentially the same team that was first in the east last year. I'm not saying that immediately this makes Montreal the front-runner for the top team in the conference again this year...But you have to at least respect what they've accomplished and the fact that they are at this point the encumbant.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah141 View Post
1- Pittsburgh
2- Montreal
3- Washington
4- New Jersey
5- Philly

mbey
I'd love to see the Bruine be the bottom feeders again.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Buffalo has now lost Streve Bernier for a 2nd and 3rd round pick, stupid decision imo to get rid of a player who's about to start producing big time
What? i didn't know that, indeed it's a realy stupid move, they should have try a couple of 2008-2009 (30 or so) games with him.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:31 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
What? i didn't know that, indeed it's a realy stupid move, they should have try a couple of 2008-2009 (30 or so) games with him.
If he's a RFA maybe he was asking too much.

David_99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
If he's a RFA maybe he was asking too much.
Yeah that's the only reason that comes to mind. It also means the Sabres are going through a rebuilding phase.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
They are a young and improving team. It's close, but as the rosters stand I think they will continue to improve, will add a couple of more young guys and have Gagne with the team the whole year.
Gagne might not paly again with his concussion issues.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:48 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
How the hell do you know he is going to start producing "big time"?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Slick Nick

I would see something like this..

1.Rags
2.Habs
3.Pens
4.Devils
5.Sens
6.Philly
7.Canes
8.Ruins
9.Caps

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I would see something like this..

1.Rags
2.Habs
3.Pens
4.Devils
5.Sens
6.Philly
7.Canes
8.Ruins
9.Caps
1st, 2nd and 3rd have to be from different divisions... so I guess you want to say:

1.Rags
2.Habs
3.Canes
4.Pens
5.Devils
6.Sens
7.Philly
8.Ruins
9.Caps

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino View Post
1st, 2nd and 3rd have to be from different divisions... so I guess you want to say:

1.Rags
2.Habs
3.Canes
4.Pens
5.Devils
6.Sens
7.Philly
8.Ruins
9.Caps
I wasn't projecting standings... rating potential wise.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I wasn't projecting standings... rating potential wise.
Oh OK....

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:05 PM
newsylalonde100

ya rangers will be up there for sure...but i mean montreal go better too...they didn't lose any forwards and they gained tanguay

and pens lost alot of gritt(roberts,rutuu,malone,opix) so id say habs and rangers top 2

can anyone tell me how to upload a picture ?? lol

newsylalonde100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:06 PM
guest1467

IMO, the Rangers got a lot worse than they were last year. I don't see them winning thier division over teams like Pittsburgh, Philly and NJ. Actually I see them coming in 4th in their division

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:07 PM
nas26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I don't like the makeup of the Rangers. Lots of boom/bust type players with Redden/Zherdev/Naslund. The good news is they can still rely on their tupperware style of play to win games.. They do still have Lundqvist.

I'd say Pittsburgh and Mtl are favorites in the east followed closely by the Flyers/Rangers.
I know there is a lot of skepticism surrounding Redden and Naslund as elite players these days, much of which is deserved. But these guys are proven all-stars who are getting needed changes of scenery. As a Habs fan living in Ottawa, I have no love for Redden, but he has played a lot of topnotch hockey for a long time and is only 31. I could also see Naslund thriving alongside an elite playmaker like Gomez, assuming they have a power-guy to play the opposite side. Zherdev is a wild-card, but after 3 years of acclimatization, he could just be coming into his own (254 shots last year). Throw in Fritsche as a great 3rd liner who is only 23, and I think the Rangers have a very deep team up front.

They are definitely boom or bust in that no-one knows how they will all come together, but with a top four D of Redden, Rozsival, Kalinin and Staal, not to mention Lundqvist in nets, they have the potential to win a lot of games.

If Montreal doesn't add a solid centre, they are going to have to make sure that Kovalev doesn't regress and that the Kostitsyns continue their development. I think that they have the potential to repeat as Conference Champs, but with everyone now expecting big things it got a lot tougher.

nas26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:15 PM
SuperSaku

Montreal will be 1st even if they aren't the best.

It's simple, Pittsburgh, Flyers and Rangers (which are all considered to be in the top 4 of the conference are all in the same division and will then play 6 (or 8 - is the new calendar will be in use this year or the year after?) against each other.

SuperSaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:16 PM
nas26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaku View Post
Montreal will be 1st even if they are the best.

It's simple, Pittsburgh, Flyers and Rangers (which are all considered to be in the top 4 of the conference are all in the same division and will then play 6 (or 8 - is the new calendar will be in use this year or the year after?) against each other.
Good point...

nas26 is offline   Reply With Quote