HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best team in the east so far...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2008, 10:32 AM
  #201
speed11
Registered User
 
speed11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country:
Posts: 4,500
vCash: 500
well, we were extremely lucky with injuries last year, at least for the regular season, so as long as that holds up, i think we'll be fine...

...i hope i didn't just mush em... =/

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:32 AM
  #202
Guillemin
Registered User
 
Guillemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,110
vCash: 500
Ottawa's goaltending will likely suck enough that our only competition for the division might be the Bruins. I don't think our powerplay could possibly lose enough that we fall out of the playoffs though.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:35 AM
  #203
Montreal Shadow
Registered User
 
Montreal Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Ottawa's goaltending will likely suck enough that our only competition for the division might be the Bruins. I don't think our powerplay could possibly lose enough that we fall out of the playoffs though.
PP is another issue, it was the bread and the butter last season, with Mark Streit gone, it'll take a severe hit. Also, as another poster said, our team was lucky with injuries, if a key player like Kovalev our Price get injured, I think the Canadiens are in for some serious trouble...


Last edited by Montreal Shadow: 07-06-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:39 AM
  #204
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montral Shadow View Post
PP is another issue, it was the bread and the butter last season, with Mark Streit gone, it'll take a severe hit. Also, as another poster said, our team was lucky with injuries, if the a key player like Kovalev our Price get injured, I think the Canadiens are in for some serious trouble...
It will not take a severe hit because Streit was just a triggerman. The main pieces are still there. Markov is our PP quarterback and Kovalev is the key along the half-boards. They still have Plekanec near the front of the net and Higgins and AKost to collect garbage. Most likely, Skost is the new PP trigger man.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:40 AM
  #205
CareyPrice x 31
Registered User
 
CareyPrice x 31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,877
vCash: 3907
everyone said without Souray it will dive...it got better
everyone says without Streit it will dive....I dont think it will be as good but it wont dive as badly as alot of people think

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:45 AM
  #206
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montral Shadow View Post
PP is another issue, it was the bread and the butter last season, with Mark Streit gone, it'll take a severe hit. Also, as another poster said, our team was lucky with injuries, if a key player like Kovalev our Price get injured, I think the Canadiens are in for some serious trouble...
Streit only scored 7 goals on the PP last year. He had 34 assists, that mostly consisted of faking a shot, passing to either Kovalev, Markov or Koivu who finished off the play. Put Sergei or Tanguay on the point, two players that have a history in the position, and you will see Streit is easily replacable. What I DO hope it replaces though, is Steits' tendency to fumble the puck under pressure. The teams that figured this out, took advantage of Streit and we lost posession a lot more. Our PP failed down the stretch and in the playoffs for this reason and because teams started taking away our pasing lanes. If anything we've solved one of our 2 PP problems by not re-signing Streit.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:46 AM
  #207
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,016
vCash: 500
Why the hell is this a new thread.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:47 AM
  #208
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Why the hell is this a new thread.
Because the title is vague. It slipped through the cracks.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:47 AM
  #209
Guillemin
Registered User
 
Guillemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
It will not take a severe hit because Streit was just a triggerman. The main pieces are still there. Markov is our PP quarterback and Kovalev is the key along the half-boards. They still have Plekanec near the front of the net and Higgins and AKost to collect garbage. Most likely, Skost is the new PP trigger man.
Exactly. Streit was mostly useful for holding the line on clearing attempts. Kovalev is the key.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:03 AM
  #210
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Why the hell is this a new thread.
I asked myself the same thing.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:06 AM
  #211
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 27,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montral Shadow View Post
PP is another issue, it was the bread and the butter last season, with Mark Streit gone, it'll take a severe hit. Also, as another poster said, our team was lucky with injuries, if a key player like Kovalev our Price get injured, I think the Canadiens are in for some serious trouble...
Do you remember why we were placed 13th-14th last year??..It's because nobody know how Plekanec-A.Kost-Higgins-S.Kost-Streit-Price were going to perform. Nobody expected Kovalev to come back as dominantly either and a lot of critics were surprised by Gorges and even Hamrlik.

Now, we know what we have in front of us. Losing Streit isn't going to be a big problem. Latendresse will have more PP minutes next season and let's not forget we added Tanguay. I wouldn't be surprised to see big George go sit in front of the net either during the PP.
Streit's shot is replaceable, even Souray's canon was. Markov can shoot the puck more as well, he has just as good of a shot then Streit.

As for the injuries, pretty much any team is going hurt when they lose their #1 Goalie or their top player, that's obvious. But we still have great depth on the wing and on D. Halak is capable of being a #1 in this league IMO. So to me, we're only going to be in real trouble if Plekanec or Saku get injured.
That's why adding Sundin would be so great move and Gainey is patiently waiting for him to make his decision.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:34 AM
  #212
buddahsmoka1
Registered User
 
buddahsmoka1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: México, D.F.
Country: Mexico
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 500
I see Montreal winning the Northwest this year again. The only competition I see us having is Boston, and maybe Ottawa will get back into form. Considering we will probably clobber Boston in the season series again, I don't see Boston being ahead of us. Ottawa's defense and goaltending is pretty weak IMO, but their coaching has greatly improved with Hartsburg. I don't see either Buffalo or Toronto having a chance at the division, one of them could sneak into the playoffs though.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:53 AM
  #213
Kosikarzzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,293
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
I thought this thread was going to be a big MTL circle jerk but it ended up being pretty good. There are some good posters in here.

MTL...got stronger with Tanguay and the younger guys will get better. You guys will definatly be up there. I am sure that the "Hockey Gods" will not bless you with absolute health like most of last year so that has to factor in but there is still loads of depth to cover for that. You won't take 16 points from the Bruins this year so that also must be considered. But in the end the small changes or upgrades will prove big and I will explain when I get to the rangers.

Pitsburgh will be a great team still but most teams that make it to the cup final have slow starts (hangovers) and they could have to play catchup. Should be interesting.

NJ...some would say they got better with Rolston and they did but Brodeur's play has been slightly slipping over the years and soon he won't be able to carry the team the way he has for years. But Brodeur is a great goalie so you never know. It is all up to him.

NYI...they have nothing and although they looked like an AHL team towards the end of the year they still suck.

NYR...they loaded up UFA again and look great on paper but one thing stands out for me that was a lesson when building a team. You can't build a winner through UFA. Tampa will find this out soon enough. NYR look real different and have too many new faces and that will wreck the chemistry of the team. Can't have a team full of Stars and no pluggers. They have so many big names that I wouldn't know who the go to guy is. Something about that team that turns me off...I think they will be good and bad and will fall in the end. A good coach will solve that...just not sure.

Tampa...see Rangers...too many changes and no identity. They also have crappy D and suspect goalie. I don't even know their full roster or lines yet but they seem doomed. Not the way to build.

Toronto...what a mess. Are they rebuilding or re-structuring. they have crap prospects and no direction. They will be a basement team. I have no idea what they are doing and would be pissed because of some of the moves they made. I actually feel sorry for their fans.

Ottawa...the mighty have fallen and they will not be the super power they once were. Welcome to earth. Enjoy.

Buffalo...just a blah team for me. They keep losing players. Sucks to be them. I don't know if it is because it is not a desired location or its a money thing but they just seem like the red headed step child.

Boston...my team but they are not there yet. They are about a year behind MTL developement wise but the building path is solid. Should be an interesting year. We are not there yet but I like the fact that we didn't change too much and we are going to build off of next year. The right way to grow. MTL did that by letting the team grow with out pouncing on quick fixes. A playoff team for sure but not sure where we fit in the top 8. Somewhere in the middle I sappose which is fine with me.

Carolina...pretty good team. Many changes but not enough to wrech the chemistry. May be better than last year but not an elite team.

Washington...if they would have kept Huet they would have been a huge up and coming. They are no slouches anymore and look for them to dominate. They need to be watched closely. Fear them.

Florida...Red Headed Step child. Key developement team...meaning they develope the players and then trade them away.

Philly...a better team than last year and they will make some noise. they will be a good team this year.

Atlanta...will be paying for selling the farm for that 1 playoff berth.

1.Wash
2. MTL
3. Pitts
4. Philly
5. Bos
6. NJ
7. Car
8. NYR
9. Ott
10. Buff
11. TB
12. Flo
13. NYI
14. Tor
15. AtL

teams that made minimal changes will do better.

OH...1 factor I forgot...THE TORO Factor. I will no longer be betting a case of beer with your fellow HFhab fan TORO. For the past 3 years we bet on who will have more points at the end of the season. This year I will not be making that bet so I am hoping that "the hockey Gods" will recognise that. Cheers Toro!


Last edited by Kosikarzzz: 07-06-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Kosikarzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:00 PM
  #214
DamianHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilgrain View Post
and 2 points more than pittsburgh, which is also getting better...
Not sure the Pens are getting better. THey have not had a great offseason so far. Having three huge contracts - Sid, Malkin and Fleury - is going to limit how much quality depth they have.

DamianHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:05 PM
  #215
DamianHabs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosikarzzz View Post
MTL...got stronger with Tanguay and the younger guys will get better. You guys will definatly be up there. I am sure that the "Hockey Gods" will not bless you with absolute health like most of last year so that has to factor in but there is still loads of depth to cover for that. You won't take 16 points from the Bruins this year so that also must be considered. But in the end the small changes or upgrades will prove big and I will explain when I get to the rangers.

Pitsburgh will be a great team still but most teams that make it to the cup final have slow starts (hangovers) and they could have to play catchup. Should be interesting.

NJ...some would say they got better with Rolston and they did but Brodeur's play has been slightly slipping over the years and soon he won't be able to carry the team the way he has for years. But Brodeur is a great goalie so you never know. It is all up to him.

NYI...they have nothing and although they looked like an AHL team towards the end of the year they still suck.

NYR...they loaded up UFA again and look great on paper but one thing stands out for me that was a lesson when building a team. You can't build a winner through UFA. Tampa will find this out soon enough. NYR look real different and have too many new faces and that will wreck the chemistry of the team. Can't have a team full of Stars and no pluggers. They have so many big names that I wouldn't know who the go to guy is. Something about that team that turns me off...I think they will be good and bad and will fall in the end. A good coach will solve that...just not sure.

Tampa...see Rangers...too many changes and no identity. They also have crappy D and suspect goalie. I don't even know their full roster or lines yet but they seem doomed. Not the way to build.

Toronto...what a mess. Are they rebuilding or re-structuring. they have crap prospects and no direction. They will be a basement team. I have no idea what they are doing and would be pissed because of some of the moves they made. I actually feel sorry for their fans.

Ottawa...the mighty have fallen and they will not be the super power they once were. Welcome to earth. Enjoy.

Buffalo...just a blah team for me. They keep losing players. Sucks to be them. I don't know if it is because it is not a desired location or its a money thing but they just seem like the red headed step child.

Boston...my team but they are not there yet. They are about a year behind MTL developement wise but the building path is solid. Should be an interesting year. We are not there yet but I like the fact that we didn't change too much and we are going to build off of next year. The right way to grow. MTL did that by letting the team grow with out pouncing on quick fixes. A playoff team for sure but not sure where we fit in the top 8. Somewhere in the middle I sappose which is fine with me.

Carolina...pretty good team. Many changes but not enough to wrech the chemistry. May be better than last year but not an elite team.

Washington...if they would have kept Huet they would have been a huge up and coming. They are no slouches anymore and look for them to dominate. They need to be watched closely. Fear them.

Florida...Red Headed Step child. Key developement team...meaning they develope the players and then trade them away.

Philly...a better team than last year and they will make some noise. they will be a good team this year.

Atlanta...will be paying for selling the farm for that 1 playoff berth.

1.Wash
2. MTL
3. Pitts
4. Philly
5. Bos
6. NJ
7. Car
8. NYR
9. Ott
10. Buff
11. TB
12. Flo
13. NYI
14. Tor
15. AtL

teams that made minimal changes will do better.

OH...1 factor I forgot...THE TORO Factor. I will no longer be betting a case of beer with your fellow HFhab fan TORO. For the past 3 years we bet on who will have more points at the end of the season. This year I will not be making that bet so I am hoping that "the hockey Gods" will recognise that. Cheers Toro!
Good job!

Not quite so sure about the Caps being number one, but playing in that division ensures that they will be no lower than three.

I think NJ is a team to watch. Getting older but adding Rolston is big. If Elias can ever regain his old form, they will be dangerous.

As far as a breakout player this year, my money is on Horton on Florida. I would love to somehow get him on the Habs.

DamianHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:12 PM
  #216
NewBlood
Registered User
 
NewBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,022
vCash: 500
We're already starting 4 points behind since we only play Boston 6 times this season!

NewBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:13 PM
  #217
CareyPrice x 31
Registered User
 
CareyPrice x 31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,877
vCash: 3907
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
We're already starting 4 points behind since we only play Boston 6 times this season!
they wont be a push over this year.
Bergeron will be back

CareyPrice x 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:19 PM
  #218
Kosikarzzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,293
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianHabs View Post
Good job!

Not quite so sure about the Caps being number one, but playing in that division ensures that they will be no lower than three.

I think NJ is a team to watch. Getting older but adding Rolston is big. If Elias can ever regain his old form, they will be dangerous.

As far as a breakout player this year, my money is on Horton on Florida. I would love to somehow get him on the Habs.
-Washington really scared me at the end of the season last year and they have the youth to build from that. They make me nervous and I give them respect. Too much...maybe but they aren't what they used to be. Think Jose will crumble?

-NJ...they have some good players and play a good game. I pick them to fall every year and they don't so who knows. Not a fan of that team.

-Agree...Horton is a great player and I would rather have him than JoBo. He would be my #1 target. Not nessessarily the player to build around but a must have. Nobody notices him in Florida but he would be a monster for anyone else team. Just a matter of time before he becomes available I sappose. There is not 1 thing I don't like about this kid.

Kosikarzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:21 PM
  #219
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"
 
TheDamned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montréal
Posts: 9,283
vCash: 500
1. Pittsburgh
2. Montreal
3. NJ
4. NYR


Very hard to predict... but Pits has an edge on us... with Sundin I say we'r almost even.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:30 PM
  #220
Kaptain Bégin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Québec, Quebec
Posts: 625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
devils. we were 4th in the east last year, led the east for a good part of the season and we didnt lose anybody and added rolston and holik. but yet again everyone will underrate us
I agree. The Devils are underrated by a lot a people right now. It will end at season begins. I'm really not sure about their defense, but they always play with 3 of them on the ice with Brodeur in goal.

Philadelphie improove with Gagné back and add a couple of defensemen, depth one. Pittsburgh really don't improve their roster. Malone power forward play can't be make by Fedotenko or Satan and Hossa is Hossa. One of the best 2-way forward and can score 100 pts. But a team with guys like Crosby and Malkin that young will improove.
I'm waiting for the same kind of season for the NYR of last year. They're not improove, with the lost of Jagr, Avery, Shanahan, Straka. Too much roster change, not sure about chemestry.
The Sens need a goalie, need defensemen after Volchenchov and Phillips and need secondary scoring. Need amateur scout too.
For the Habs, I like their mose in the last 2 years. They let go PP specialist from the best PP in the NHL and add even-strengh performer. Last year, it was Souray for Hamrlik. This year, it's Streit and Ryder for Tanguay and Laraque. I like it. And we will still be a top-10 PP.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 03:33 PM
  #221
Moester
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
It will not take a severe hit because Streit was just a triggerman. The main pieces are still there. Markov is our PP quarterback and Kovalev is the key along the half-boards. They still have Plekanec near the front of the net and Higgins and AKost to collect garbage. Most likely, Skost is the new PP trigger man.
People keep calling Streit a triggerman, but he only had 13 goals. Sure that's not anything to sneer at; but its not irreplaceable. Most of the assists he earned was from feeding Kovalev. I think we'll be able replace him.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:45 PM
  #222
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
If the Habs don't land Sundin I wouldn't consider them favourites or even co-favourites in the East. I'd puck Pittsburgh or Philadelphia ahead of them.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:52 PM
  #223
shawnyboy24
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Tandings in the east

I know its very very early to talk about that but i miss hockey so much.....

1-Pittsburg (If Satan and the other wingers score)
2-Montreal(if carey price plays like he can)
3-Washington(if they can resign federov and theodore plays like he can)
4-Philadelphia(if gagne comes back and biron plays like he can)
5-Boston(bergeron, fernandez,ryder?????)
6-Ottawa(gerber,defense????)
7-New Jersey(signed rolston but the eternal question,will they score)
8-New York(defense got better,-shanahan,-jagr,+naslund)
9-Carolina(pitkanen is a good D but Staal will need a great season to make playoff)
10-Atlanta(-Hossa,+Hainsey,i dont think so....)
11-Tampa(People think they improved,i m not convinced)
12-New York Islanders(Mark Streit and Doug weight are not impact players)
13-Buffalo(-bernier,+Rivet, i just dont get it,Miller might bring them higher????)
14-toronto(Sundin sign there it might be a different story but i dont think so)
15-Florida(Jokinen is not a nice guy!OK,whos gona score goals now!!!!!)

Sundin might sign somewhere, trade will probably happen but what is your feeling wright now????

shawnyboy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:54 PM
  #224
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,379
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I don't know what Tandings are but if you were referring to Standings I think its too early to call. Especially since Alot of BIG fish free agents and potential trades are still out there.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 11:05 PM
  #225
Gousse
Registered User
 
Gousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
yeah it's a bit too early .. but can be fun :

1. MTL (why not .. great offense, price will be right)
2. Rangers ( Good signings during summer)
3. Washington
4. NJ
5. Pittsburgh
6. Boston
7. Philadelphia
8. Ottawa
9. Buffalo
10. Tampa bay
11. Carolina
12. Atlanta
13. Islanders
14. Toronto
15. Florida (who do they have left ? they still gonna win 4 games against mtl )

Gousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.