HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you like to see the Oilers draft in 2004/2005?

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2004, 12:11 AM
Fists of Fuhry

vCash: 500
Who would you like to see the Oilers draft in 2004/2005?

With all the recent talks about the Oilers needing a bonafide top drawer player, and assuming that the Oil continue this path and/or KL finally comes through on his promise to move up in the draft, who (or what area to adress) would you like to see the Oil draft either this year or next?

I personally wouldn't mind seeing the oil pick this guy up... just read what International Scouting Services had to say about him:

Background:
Schremp was the first pick over-all in the OHL priority draft last May. He came to the IceDogs from Syracuse of the Provincial Junior 'A' Hockey League. As a 15 year old with Syracuse, he finished first in team scoring and third overall in League scoring. Ontario Hockey League's (OHL) rookie-of-the-year. Member of 2003 U.S Junior National team. His parents, Lisa and Mark, rarely miss a game.
Skills:
The most hockey smart player in the group an absolute wizard offensively, to say this player sees the ice extremely well would be an total understatement. able to make scoring opportunities out of seemingly nothing ... makes very quick and successful decisions with the puck, knows where his teammates are at all times ... an above average skater who can handle the puck both creatively and with ease at top speed ... good finisher, very well positioned, an elite talent
Projection:
Top 10 Pick Should continue to develop into a 1st line centermen who can orchestrate a power-play. For anyone who questions Schremp’s desire and determination read the following quote, "I'll play for pocket change if I have to, just as long as I can get to the highest level that I can," he adds. "I'd just like to make enough money to take care of my parents and my family. "My parents are not that well off and I'd really like to pay them back for all the things they've done for me. They've been the biggest part of my success."
ETA:
2005/2006 Season

Old
02-18-2004, 12:23 AM
tylerr

Send a message via MSN to tylerr
well, other then Ovechkin(we won't get him) i'd like to see us get Barker, or Tukonen.

Old
02-18-2004, 12:29 AM
TheBrew

Tukonen Gritty Sniper perfect fit for us

Old
02-18-2004, 12:54 AM
Allan

I'd go for Tukonen as well, Schremp if he's already gone.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:00 AM
nucks2001

vCash:
Oil need a sniper clearly. I still bang my head over the Parise move.. Its all in the past though and who knows what will happen.

A sniper should be the first option for K-Low though.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:02 AM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Malkin, he's a big center who has definite 1st line upside.

Tukonen for some reason reminds me of ethan moreau...not saying thats how he'll turn out, just how he sounds.

Mike Green, not big but sounds like he's great offensively while being more than solid on D and a good open ice hitter. Total package, ideally he'd fall to the flyers pick assuming they slip a bit in the standings.

Uhhmmm...Barker...i'm not sure about him, he sounds like he plateau''d and thats never a good thing in your draft year.

Schremp, the kids got amazing skills, not the greatest skater, but manages to get by. Perceived attitude problems and since its the Oilers we're talking about and he has already demanded a trade from his OHL club i doubt they'd touch the kid with a 10 foot pole.

Last edited by G-Double: 02-18-2004 at 01:03 AM. Reason: poor spelling
Old
02-18-2004, 01:13 AM
scotchtapejr.

I think we should go all out offense for this year's draft, we have enough defensive defensemen and grinders already.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:16 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchtapejr.
I think we should go all out offense for this year's draft, we have enough defensive defensemen and grinders already.
I totally agree. Go boom or bust on offense, and throw in a goaltender or two in as well. A RW sniper and another high end goalie should be at least 2 of our top 3 picks.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:17 AM
dem

Schremp if hes around at our pick... which is unlikely.

If we dont move up... Mike Green from the Saskatoon Blades. Ive watched him play a few times and he seems like the kind of Dman the Oilers really need. Every bit as good as Cam Barker if you ask me. Hes also more physical than people give him credit for and he makes a great first pass.

Oh... If we trade up I want Rostislav Olesz.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:34 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Alvaro Montoya is who i would want

Old
02-18-2004, 01:48 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
Alvaro Montoya is who i would want
We probably shouldn't waste our high pick on him, and our other first rounder will probably be too low to get him. I don't think we'll get him.

Old
02-18-2004, 02:17 AM
GorillazXL

Forwards:
1.Ovechkin
2.Malkin
3.Schremp
4.Tukonen
5.Olesz
Others: Picard, Salmonsson, Wolski, Chipchura, Bolland

Defense:
1.Green
2.Barker
3.O'Neil
4.Valabik
5.Funk
Others: Schultz, Carson, Sersen, Lepisto, Smid

Goalie:
1.Montoya
2.Dubnyk
3.Schwarz
4.Schantz
5.Greiss
Others: Peters,

I think the Oilers will end up picking 12-15 (yes, I think we're going to miss the playoffs this year.. too little too late.) and get 22-25th with the Philly pick.

With the first pick we'll end up with Green (I think teams are going to pass him up because he's not the hulk like most of the other Dman in the draft), with the second Dubnyk. Would like to get either Tukonen or Picard or Schremp but I think they'll be long gone the time the Oilers get to make the call.

GXL

Last edited by GorillazXL: 02-18-2004 at 02:35 AM. Reason: misplaced adjective
Old
02-18-2004, 02:18 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Im not sure if we will go after another Centre in the top end of this draft. Ninimakki, Pouliet, Jaques among others make me think that they might lean towards a high octane winger with a shot. We also need another Goalie prospect in our system.

Since we are all but out of the playoff race, I can see KLO adding a few 2nd and 3rd rounders to the draft table this year.

Old
02-18-2004, 02:22 AM
Lord

Send a message via ICQ to Lord
I wish Oilers could get Malkin. Exellent mix of size, power, playmaker ability and talent. Great younh kid with decent work ethic. No doubt he is going to be a franchise player and legitimate first-line center for years to come.
Not sure about Olesz. I like this guy at WJC and WC-18, but he reminds me Stefan.
Also i like goaltender Marek Schwartz. But I don't think that Lowe can take a risk and get him with our first pick, but who knows. I still think we are use to our pick from Philadelphia for somebody like Dubnyk or even Montoya if his stock slip down. I an not sure, that Alvaro would be selected in the top-20, really.

Last edited by Lord: 02-18-2004 at 03:01 AM.
Old
02-18-2004, 02:41 AM
Cerebral

I'd love to get one of Malkin, Tukonen, Wolski or Schremp.. unfortunately, they'll all likely be long gone before we pick (unless we finally manage to trade up - *please please please try and move up to draft Malkin!!). For this reason, I see us drafting a guy like Green with our first pick (he projects to be a fairly talented offensive d-man.. we can definitely some help on the pp ) and a goaltender with our second pick (likely Dubnyk).

Old
02-18-2004, 02:50 AM
Hemsky4PM

Lepisto. Offensive defenseman. Would be interesting to see if he falls into the range where Philly's pick will be. Schremp would be a good infusion of skill. Chipchura sounds like a good prospect too.

Old
02-18-2004, 08:28 AM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Oh... If we trade up I want Rostislav Olesz.
If we get Olesz, I can already see Flames fans laughing at us. We would have two guys that have been rocked by Phaneuf in big games. lol

Anyways, here's a couple guys I'd like:

Ovechkin
Malkin
Barker
Schremp
Schwarz/Montoya (Although I'd prefer use PHI's 1st for a goaltender and use our highest one for a forward/defender.)

Some other notable's are Wolski, Tukonen and maybe Green.

Old
02-18-2004, 09:19 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Let me guess...

a centerman over 5'4

Seriously, size down the middle for the Oilers is less of a problem than defensive depth IMO. Woywitka and Lynch are nice for blueliners, but I'd pick up another blueliner if I were the Oilers. An eventual lineup of Ninnimaki, York, Poulilot, and Reasoner is fine IMO.

Old
02-18-2004, 10:56 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Let me guess...

a centerman over 5'4

Seriously, size down the middle for the Oilers is less of a problem than defensive depth IMO. Woywitka and Lynch are nice for blueliners, but I'd pick up another blueliner if I were the Oilers. An eventual lineup of Ninnimaki, York, Poulilot, and Reasoner is fine IMO.
Not to mention Stoll. Yeah, I think if even one of Poulilot or Niinimaki turns into a top six, we're not in a bad position centre wise. I think that's why most Oiler posters (perhaps not in this thread) agree that what we really need are a sniper (we have too many set-up guys but no finish), an offensive d-man, and a goalie as insurance in case JDD does not turn out. Tukonen, Green and the high end goalies are what we should be looking at.

Old
02-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Atlantic

Prospects, for the Oilers. This years draft can be a statement sent to the rest of the NHL teams that this team is going to be reckon with. With 2 first round picks; hopefully 1 or 2 more first rounds considering trade possibillities; landing a number one or two pick overall isn't that hard to imagine. Thats if the right team be willing to part with it.

We all know about Alexander Ovechkin, at 6'3" and at least 200lbs. He is the prize of the draft. A Russian power forward who can skate at blinding speed and has a helluva shot to boot. Number 1 overall pick. After him then who?

Here are just a few guys who I would consider as first rounders to grab.
( Note*: in no particular draft order)

Boris Valabik a Slovakian defenceman who plays with a mean streak and is considered as the "toughest European to ever come over to the OHL". Standing at 6’6” and 206 pounds, he should be on a narrow list of players to pick-up.

Evgeni Malkin, centre, 6-foot-3 Weight: 205 pounds Shoots: left. Now here's a player Lowe should try to aquire. In the World Juniors Russia vs. Sweden: Evgeni Malkin was the player of the game with his 3 assists. No. 2 rated skater in Europe, among the elite players in Europe. His offensive skills are slick fakes using his head and eye's, as well excellent one on one skills.
Quote "While Ovechkin is the slick goal scorer, Malkin is the pitbull with a nose for the net." -Jake Dole

Cam Barker, defence, at 6 foot 3 and 210 pounds. Playing for Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 58 games this seasoan 18g, 38a= 56pts. and 95 pms. A talented offensive-defense man.

Marek Schwarz, a young Czech goalie, at 6 foot and 175 ibs he was stellar for the the Czech team at the Worlds. the top-ranked European netminder. Can play with the European Elite teams and post excellent save percetages. A star of many games, Marek posted whooping numbers this season. Quoted from a web-site,"Thus far he stands with the Sparta Praha midgets at 42 games played, 2520 minutes and a 1.79 GAA plus a .9315 save percentage. This effort was enough for him to earn the Best goaltender trophy..."

Old
02-18-2004, 11:27 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I wasn't impressed at all with Schwartz in any of the 3 games I saw him play in... Granted he didn't have the best team in front of him, but in past WJC guys like Luongo at least took the games into OT... Schwartz just fell apart.

Old
02-18-2004, 11:39 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Ovechkin is the obvious choice, as is Malkin. If they're available, we should of course get them. But that won't happen unless we don't win another game this year (it might not be out of our reach afterall). Shremp is talented, but he seems like a bit of a headcase. I know we aren't really looking at defence right now, but if Barker is available, we'd be stupid not to pick him.

I preffer the "best player available" strategy over the "filling the current needs" standpiont. Having two first rounders allows us to do both

Old
02-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Atlantic

It all depends on the lottery where the Oilers will sit for the draft. They could be the 14th team on the list but move up to 10 spot. This was put in place so teams don't lose on purpose to get high draft picks.

If Lowe doesn't aquire a centre by making a trade before the deadline, or in the off-season, then he should at least try to fill those spots with the best avaliable guy.

Old
02-18-2004, 12:32 PM
t0mf00lery

Barker and Montoya.

Old
02-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Mizral

My top 3 favorites for the Oilers draft picks this year:

#1 - Lauri Tukonen

Gritty sniper. Someone who said Tukonen looks like Moreau hasn't seen his wrist shot. Tukonen I think is more like a European version of Ryan Smyth in a way. Better shot than Ryan, maybe not quite as good in front of the net though. Tukonen has great reach, which makes me think he could be successful around the net though, a-la Rick Nash.

#2 - Alarvo Montoya

I know a lot of people here would hate it if Lowe picked up a goalie, but Montoya is a STUD. He's got Marty Turco written all over him. To me, he's the best goalie in the draft, and should be in the top 5 - 7. No doubt he'll go before #20, and maybe even in the top 10. If Tukonen is gone, the Oilers should absolutely not be afraid to take this guy.

#3 - Evan McGrath

I dunno if his stock will rise quick enough to be taken with the first pick, but if he's around for the second pick, I'd like to see the Oilers take him. From the scouting reports I hear, he sounds like a real ideal 2nd line centreman. I've heard that he could maybe play wing too.

Note: If Wes O'Neill is available before McGrath or maybe even Montoya, I'd go for it. If he opts out of 2004, pick him up in 2005!

Closed Thread