HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Thoughts on Havlat?

Old
07-04-2008, 03:22 AM
BrightFutures

vCash: 500
Thoughts on Havlat?

So i was just wondering what everyone else thinks about Havlat now. I personally think he still is a great player but he just gets injured too much and sometimes doesn't give it his all. Next year won't be a problem, effort wise, because he is in a contract year and will have to put up the numbers.

If he stays healthy and doesn't get injured too seriously then i think he could be a major asset to the Hawks next year. Just my thoughts and want to hear others. Has everyone forgot how much we loved him his first year with us.

BrightFutures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 05:30 PM
lfchockey*

That pretty much sums it up.
I may be in the minority, but I think he'll have a good year and stay pretty much injury free. He'll miss about 10-12 games. Maybe just wishful thinking.
He is in a contract year which is huge

lfchockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 07:42 PM
stu the grim reaper

get rid of him asap. he and players like robert lang and jason williams were good when the team's expectations were nill, but now its time to build a team with no cracks on the foundation. better to have reliable players than non-professional highly-skilled ones

stu the grim reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:38 PM
AbeLincolnsGhost

Send a message via AIM to AbeLincolnsGhost
That makes sense and all, but they are still good players. Who are we going to get to replace them? I agree with moving one or 2, including Lang possibly, even though I am obviously a Lang fan. I think he is a perfect fit for our second or third line center. Havlat I am iffy on. His potential to increase our offense is something I look forward to. I don't think he is going to be out as much of this season as last, though you never really know, do you? If we could get some good value for him, while decreasing our cap salary I would say for sure. The trouble is finding someone who wants him for 6m after last season with whom we want someone in return.

AbeLincolnsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 04:41 AM
southerncross116

He fulfills the Hawks' traditional skilled but fragile winger position...

I suppose in that sense he is the second coming of Eric Daze.

Edited to add

Just thought of this...

that before Daze that fragile winger spot - would have been held by Darryl Sutter .... I mean, honestly while I'm joking, there is a ring of truth to it all.

Last edited by southerncross116: 07-06-2008 at 06:50 PM.
southerncross116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Metallian*

keep him unless the return is worth it

if we dump him its just as good as him being on the IR, but when he's healthy there aren't many players in the league near his level of skill and drive

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Hawksfan2828

Havlat is an odd situation.

I think if he doesnt produce this season and stay healthy, no NHL club will be willing to pay him what that "european 'super league'" will so... Havlat is one of the most talented players in the league but hes fraglile and IMO doesnt care much for hockey in North America and only wants a pay check. Now, if his injury problems are just that and not an excuse I can see Him having a good year with the Hawks and re-signing for 5 mill a season.

No team is giving Havlat a 7-8 million dollar deal any time soon.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 03:19 AM
BrightFutures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
Havlat is an odd situation.

I think if he doesnt produce this season and stay healthy, no NHL club will be willing to pay him what that "european 'super league'" will so... Havlat is one of the most talented players in the league but hes fraglile and IMO doesnt care much for hockey in North America and only wants a pay check. Now, if his injury problems are just that and not an excuse I can see Him having a good year with the Hawks and re-signing for 5 mill a season.

No team is giving Havlat a 7-8 million dollar deal any time soon.
Well i would say about 3 mil because most likely he won't play more than 3/4 the season so if he deserves 5-6 then 3 mil is a decent offer. And although sometimes he doesn't seem to give 100% I did love seeing him get all pumped up after a goal. i think that if he gets his scoring touch back, gets a bunch of goals in a row, and maybe a game winner or two he will just want to score more. Then he will be the Havlat he is capable of being.

BrightFutures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Bobby G

Calling Chicago fans for some help.

In a fantasy keeper league

I can get Byfuglien or Havlat for basically the same price. I'm thinking Byfuglien all the way, but I love watching Havlat play, when healthy he is one of the best talents in the game. However as I'm sure you all know he isn't healthy often.

Who do you think I should take?

and

Would it be worth it to pay a little more for Sharp?

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 10:57 AM
lfchockey*

I'd go with Havlat because I think he'll stay relatively healthy this year... plus he's in a contract year.

Old
08-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Bobby G

Thanks for the response. The only thing is its a keeper league so this year isn't everything.

But I suppose if he has a big year he would be good trade bait if I didn't want to keep him.

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Thanks for the response. The only thing is its a keeper league so this year isn't everything.

But I suppose if he has a big year he would be good trade bait if I didn't want to keep him.
Byf(whom I carried in fantasy last season) is probably the riskiest of the 3 CHI sophomores. He was pretty good in fantasy hockey last season, because all his stats rolled up in the Def category in my league. That being said, he's probably a forward full time now, and I'm not sold on him yet.

Havlat(whom I carried in fantasy 2 seasons ago) can make you crazy with his injuries. I don't think he'll ever light up the scoreboard like he was 3 or 4 years a go. If your league allows you to swap guys in and out of the line up nightly, with no penalties, then he can be a nice ace in the hole. Healthy, the guy can average 1.5 points a night.

Tough call, let me know how the coin toss turns out

Last edited by Nordique: 08-05-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2008, 04:45 PM
lfchockey*

Take Havlat... let him roll off 15 points in the first ten games... then trade him for something decent.

Old
08-05-2008, 07:26 PM
southerncross116

What difference does it make? I mean they don't need to sign him for the following season -nor Khabibulin which = instant cap space.

Old
08-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightFutures View Post
Well i would say about 3 mil because most likely he won't play more than 3/4 the season so if he deserves 5-6 then 3 mil is a decent offer. And although sometimes he doesn't seem to give 100% I did love seeing him get all pumped up after a goal. i think that if he gets his scoring touch back, gets a bunch of goals in a row, and maybe a game winner or two he will just want to score more. Then he will be the Havlat he is capable of being.
Havlat can be as deadly as he wants to be..

I wouldnt be shocked to see him score 50-60 goals in a season and add 50-60 assists to that total. The guy just cant stay healthy tho and I dont think hes built for North American hockey.

Hes worth 3-4 mill a season for 30-40 games because hes a PPG player even comming off injury. However when hes on his game hes a AO or a Crosby, hell I could even put him in a Gretzky catagory I think his flashes of offense have proven that. He just hasnt proven him self to be a reliable player.

Now of course I'm not calling Havlat Wayne Gretzky but in todays era he can be as deadly as AO or Crosby. Havlat reminds me alot of Gretzky tho...

Old
08-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross116 View Post
What difference does it make? I mean they don't need to sign him for the following season -nor Khabibulin which = instant cap space.
Thats why Hossa only sigend a 1 year deal with Detroit.

I'm convinced Hossa wanted to come to the Hawks this season but they couldnt afford him. No doubt in my mind Khabbys gone next season or at best is resigned at a reduced rate but I know any club who needs a #1 will offer him a 6 million dollar contract if he plays well this season and with out a doubt there will be a bidding war for him again. I could truely care less what other non-hawks fans think but true Hawks fans know khabby is still a number 1 and GM's know that too.

Now the trade deadline for the Hawks will be interesting.

The Hawks are surely a playoff team this season and if the duo works out Khabbys not going to be traded and if Havlat is having a good season he wont be traded. Well they might be if some team offers up the farm and decent players that the Tallon thinks will make the Hawks a better team.

Either way if Khabby and Havlat have good seasons they will be as good as gold at the trade deadline.

Alot of GM's are scrambling to fill holes and the Blackhawks hold all the cards. Thats why Bowman came to the Hawks, I'm sure his son was a reason as well but if you look at who holds all the cards in the league its the Blackhawks/Tallon. They have an abundance of assets. The Hawks have plenty of RFA's they can use as trade bait who are attractive to almost any GM because of the "new" NHL system.

Sorry I went a little OT but its interesting when you look at the great situation the hawks are in. I guess having 3 or 4 viable prospects duking it out for roster spots at any and every position has to be a GM's dream.

Old
08-07-2008, 12:14 PM
hawksfan50

The hockey gods owe Havlat better fortune on the injury front..I predict this year he will get that fortune and go injury-free posting a monster year (his contract year)--I think he will have 40-45 goals and 60-65 assists for somewhere between 100-110 pts... Next season after this monster year it willbe interesting to see what he and the Hawks want to do---Even if the cap goes up the Hawks would not risk more than he gets now ($6million per) to re-sign him long-term given his injury history ..so he could test the free agent marke--on the other hand IF the hawks are very successful this season and are perceived as "contenders" for the cUP for a long time --THEN he may want to be part of that --thatwould entail accepting less money on a longer term or medium term deal (maybe down to $4.5 to 5 million per) OR what is more lkely--accepting a renewal for 1 year at anopther $6million...IF he proves he can go injury-free for a 2nd consecutive year and post another 1000+ pts season-THEN his market value jumps much higher and a long term 5yr+ contractfor a higher amount would be sought from the Hawks or on the free market. However--burned for 2 years by his injuries,he must understand that 1 great reboundyear this season willnot be enough to get a raise and a long-term dealfrom theHawks..He'll need to prove it 2 years in a row..

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 12:49 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
IF he proves he can go injury-free for a 2nd consecutive year and post another 1000+ pts season-...
Hey, I'm as optimistic as the next guy but, c'mon..

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2008, 07:50 PM
southerncross116

Well I think what this past season showed is that even without Havlat, that the Hawks were deep enough that his injuries are not as significant a loss (in terms of standings points) as Toews' was.

That says a lot about the overall depth of the team (especially at wing).

Old
08-08-2008, 07:10 PM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
i want to see havlat injure his shoulder hoisting the cup at then end of this next season

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Hawker14

This won't be popular but;

I still can't get his skate-kicking incident out of my head (while a member of the Sens) when I think of him and he's always injured. He's been a headache that I won't miss if he's traded or when he leaves next summer.

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Reydin

What would it take from the Leafs to get Havlat? Always thought he'd look good with
either Ponikarovsky and Antropov or Grabovski and Blake.

Reydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 11:03 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reydin View Post
What would it take from the Leafs to get Havlat? Always thought he'd look good with
either Ponikarovsky and Antropov or Grabovski and Blake.
Your 2009 first. And, yeah, I know it's not going to happen, I'm just letting you know what it would take.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Your 2009 first. And, yeah, I know it's not going to happen, I'm just letting you know what it would take.
Don't put your chips on it. I'd be willing to give Havlat+ for Steen.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote