HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

One More Move?

Old
07-04-2008, 07:14 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

vCash: 500
One More Move?

Aside from the possibility of signing Shanahan (which I think is strickly a decision on his part to take $ available) I think there is perhaps one more move coming. I think the Rangers need another offensive young gun to round out the forwards. I wonder if there is a value for value trade out there that would bring a player like Vermette (for example) here. Perhaps for Sanguinetti?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 07:33 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I think they definitely need one more sniper but now at the expense of Sanguinetti. He's just way too valuable and he's developing pretty fast.

But again yes, I do think there is a need for one more sniper obviously being a winger. The second line RW spot is up for grabs and it shouldnt be especially when the most likely candidate is Prucha and he just doesnt cut it for this team. He's lost so much I just dont see him becoming that player again for us. He's a good 3rd line player but thats it.

We got way too many 3rd line players. Our Top 3 centers are strong and as far as I'm concerned Dubinsky could easily be the 1st line or 2nd line center so thats good. Its the wings thats the question right now. Zherdev, Naslund, and Dawes are locks. But even Dawes is being expected to take on a huge role as it should be but still thats a lot.

Basically were banking on Korpikoski to be big for us and Callahan too to step up.

They let Jagr go, thats big...Sather shouldve tried harder and gave him a 2 year deal. We'd be fine then. You cut some salary with those extra 3rd liners and your good. Right now this is the situation:

Forwards:

Naslund
Zherdev
Gomez
Drury
Dawes
Prucha
Callahan
Dubinsky
Korpikoski
Betts
Voros
Rissimiller
Orr
Sjostrom
Hollweg?

Defense:

Staal
Redden
Rozsival
Girardi
Mara
Kalinin
Fahey

Goalies:

Lundqvist
Valliquette

There has to be a move made. I think AA should make the team. Jessiman is gonna be pushing for a spot too. But you still need that proven talent, that proven sniper. I dont know where youre going to find it. Maybe Gaborik in Minnesota since his situation is up in the air there. Demitra isnt the way to go, no need for him. Maybe Sundin just because he brings great leadership and he's gritty and definitely has a reason to bring it all since he has no cup under his belt. But other than that if its not him, you have to grab a sniper.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I don't think we'll do a major deal. As was alluded to in a different thread, I think we move some guys who need a change of scenery (Hollweg, Prucha, maybe a pick, maybe someone like Fritsche) for a solid 15-20 goal winger. Not sure who that would be, but that's my hunch.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 07:46 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Aside from the possibility of signing Shanahan (which I think is strickly a decision on his part to take $ available) I think there is perhaps one more move coming. I think the Rangers need another offensive young gun to round out the forwards. I wonder if there is a value for value trade out there that would bring a player like Vermette (for example) here. Perhaps for Sanguinetti?
Another move is possible, especially given the glut of forwards. But, I don't think Sanguinetti is going anywhere. I think a deal can be made with Callahan and either Prucha or Dawes going the other way. I think the Rangers might target an RFA that a team is having trouble signing, simliar to the Zherdev deal.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
If AA makes the team, Drury can play wing on the top 6, which would help.

Demitra would kinda fit with the team we seem to be building... he is similar to Naslund.

Will he sign for 2.5-3.0 though?

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 08:03 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Maybe I should have phrased my post a little differently. I think there is a need for one more young goalscorer, not another aging UFA. Demetria is a nice player but at best he is a 1-2 year plug. Zherdev & Dawes give the Rangers two young goalscorers who should be good for 25-35 a year. One more young gun would really set this team up for the next 4-5 years. I'm not advocating moving Sanguinetti just to make a trade but a) Del Zotto (similar skills) is coming and b) if they can get young value for value I'd love to see what kind of deal is out there. Tyutin for Zherdev was in fact value for value. Not imperative that this happen but an a interesting possibility. I'd certainly consider Vermette for Sanguinetti but there may be others out there.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 08:10 PM
charliemurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Another move is possible, especially given the glut of forwards. But, I don't think Sanguinetti is going anywhere. I think a deal can be made with Callahan and either Prucha or Dawes going the other way. I think the Rangers might target an RFA that a team is having trouble signing, simliar to the Zherdev deal.
Hey jas-
It's been a while since my last post. I couldn't help but check in and read some of the threads.
Pretty drastic makeover of the team this offseason.
I agree about Sanguinetti. Figure next season (not this season) he'll make it out of camp.
If the Rangers do make another offseason deal it needs to be an RFA...why does a player like Vermette come to mind? I would think Prucha for starters.
I think 1 if not 2 deals might pop up because of players like Sjostrom, Orr, Hollweg, Rismiller. And if they do target a player like Vermette, they have to bring up players like Prucha and Callahan.
I think the Rangers intend to keep Dawes if not try and keep him out of possible trades at least giving him one full season and ice time.

charliemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I think we signed Rozisval to move him + Prucha and a pick for Bouwmeester..

..just kidding.

I think we need that rare combination of size and scoring on at least one of the top-two lines. I don't know who is really available around the league that fits the bill and won't be overly expensive and/or come with a serious cap hit. Ponikarovsky? Bertuzzi? Byfuglien? Maybe Brian Boyle from LA? Hell, maybe they're going to throw Jessiman into the NHL to see if it will jump-start his career.

I don't think Sanguinetti will be moved. Slats said himself that the Rangers are moving towards a faster, more exciting brand of hockey. Sangs fits that role to a T. You have to imagine that Mara and Kalinin will be competing this year for the same spot on the team next year if Sangs is ready for the NHL.

Last edited by Trxjw: 07-04-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 08:29 PM
JiBBa

Petr Prucha for Maxim Afinogenov ? You get amazing speed w/Maxim and that's what we are looking for....

Last edited by JiBBa: 07-04-2008 at 08:39 PM.
JiBBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:28 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't expect to see any more trades. Except for the possible signing of Shanny, I think we are done.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:04 PM
NYReign

According to the cap #s at hockeybuzz we are over at the moment. They're including Sauer and Sangs who won't be on the cap but we still have three guys to sign (Dawes, Sjostrom, Fritsche) and I don't see Shanny's bonuses anywhere on that site so I think we're pretty damn close if not over. I'd like to package some of our depth guys together for a better option on the third line opposite Cally. Any ideas for Fritsche + Rissmiller there? /longshot

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:06 PM
NYR Viper

i think the rangers might look to trade for schremp still......i think he would be a solid addition.....is he big?....no but he is skilled....also....parenteau has the chance to make the nhl who i think people are forgetting about...i think it will be a small trade, but it will turn out to be a bigger deal down the line

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Naslund for Avery

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Forever Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
According to the cap #s at hockeybuzz we are over at the moment. They're including Sauer and Sangs who won't be on the cap but we still have three guys to sign (Dawes, Sjostrom, Fritsche) and I don't see Shanny's bonuses anywhere on that site so I think we're pretty damn close if not over. I'd like to package some of our depth guys together for a better option on the third line opposite Cally. Any ideas for Fritsche + Rissmiller there? /longshot
As far as I see, they have us $647,824 under.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:18 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i think the rangers might look to trade for schremp still......i think he would be a solid addition.....is he big?....no but he is skilled....also....parenteau has the chance to make the nhl who i think people are forgetting about...i think it will be a small trade, but it will turn out to be a bigger deal down the line
getting Shremp would be cool. We have a surplus of NHL bottom 6 forwards, some debatable 2nd liners maybe. Don't know what EMO needs or anything like that thou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Naslund for Avery
I'd do that, lol.

Anyway, I really think Shanny should be signed. Great leader, could still pot 15 at least imo. Play the PP and SO. Be Cpt. as well. Probably play on the 3rd.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Vermette!!!!!!!!!

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I like Schremp, but is he NHL ready? Can he jump right into a second line role? He's definitely a skilled player, and I think a Zherdev - Gomez - Schremp line could be very good down the road, but is he really that final piece we're all looking for? Not so sure.

I'd love to trade for him to add him to our prospect depth. Having top-six potential stocked up is never a bad thing.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:29 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Vermette!!!!!!!!!

that'd be awesome.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:02 AM
NYReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save By Richter View Post
As far as I see, they have us $647,824 under.
They put back Sanguinetti and Sauer back in the minors since I last looked. But we still are going to go over after re-signing Nigel and Sjo and Fritsche so we're gonna have to do something

edit: NHL Numbers has us at 3.793 under? Maybe hockeybuzz did have the Shanny and Jagr payments in after all...

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:09 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

I can see Slats making a move for another winger. Some of the bottom 6 depth at forward would have to be moved. Would Prucha, Hollweg, and a 2nd get it done for Vermette?

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 10425
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
I can see Slats making a move for another winger. Some of the bottom 6 depth at forward would have to be moved. Would Prucha, Hollweg, and a 2nd get it done for Vermette?
No shot.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:17 AM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiBBa View Post
Petr Prucha for Maxim Afinogenov ? You get amazing speed w/Maxim and that's what we are looking for....
Yeah, but why the hell would Buffalo do that?

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:23 AM
battlerex99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
Yeah, but why the hell would Buffalo do that?
Cause they're trying to unload Afinogenov.

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:24 AM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlerex99 View Post
Cause they're trying to unload Afinogenov.
Wow, they are?

Why?

We should get on that like white on rice.

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Deathstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post

Callahan and a 2nd would be a start.

But Steve Bernier was moved for a 2nd and 3rd round pick today so anything is possible.

Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote