HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jaromir speaks on departure

Old
07-04-2008, 10:15 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Thank You JJ, NY wont forget that you were AWESOME for us!!!

A proud Ranger!

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:16 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I'm still going to wear my Jagr jersey with pride.

Old
07-04-2008, 10:22 AM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Hopefully he tells Cherepanov how great NY is and how he should go play there as soon as possible

Might actually be a big factor in getting Cherepanov over
To Play devils advocate he may stay in Russia now to play with his favorite player...

Lets hope your right though. It would have been nice if Jags could have mentored him at the NHL level. But this is still a nice consolation.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:26 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Not sure what is so confusing about this.

Cherepanov and the Rangers decided that he should honor the last year of his contract.

The following season he is going to be playing for the Rangers.

It has been said many many many many times before by BOTH sides.

Old
07-04-2008, 10:27 AM
rvdnsx

JJ

Classic Jaromir, great 3+ years in NY, you will be missed, I will miss your skills

rvdnsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:09 AM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Excellent ender to that article. Good luck Jags. I will miss ya.

KotsyJr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Jagr really wanted to be here, I hope this doesn't come back to haunt us.

If he wanted to be there, why didn't he stay?

"With the contracts for Scotty, Dru and Hank [Henrik Lundqvist], and then signing [Wade] Redden, they have almost $30M in four players, so there wasn't enough for me after that," Jagr said

Wasn't enough for you? Sounds like greed made him go away, not a true desire to stay and play (with reduced pay)

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
Because it sounds like Sather was ambivalent about keeping him and may have lowballed him a bit

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:38 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I won't forget how he lead the Rangers' post-lockout resurgence. He lead a team predicted to be a bottom feeder to victory on so many nights, always drawing the top defensive pairs and checking lines and still being a difference-maker.

I wonder where Jagr would have finished in the all-time scoring race had he not lost half a season in 94-95 due to the lockout, the entire season in 2004-2005, and now these final seasons playing in Russia.

It's clear that Jagr wants to be "the guy," both on the ice and in his salary, which the Rangers weren't going to do with his fading skills.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:45 AM
xander

Let the final tally stand at:

Mike Milbury: 754gp 49g 189a 238p 0 stanley cups (as a player, coach or executive)

Jaromir Jagr: 1273gp 646g 943a 1599p 2 Stanley Cups

I'd say Jaromir can tell mike to kiss whatever he wants. =)

I would have liked to have seen him play one more year, but it is nice that he's not going to another NHL team. He was the major reason that we've all been watching competetive hockey since the locout. The team's moving on, but he certainly left his marl. So long Jaromir.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:55 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I'll miss him too, despite wanting him gone.

Lot of memories, good and bad. What a great year though when he broke Gravys record.

That line was really really fun to watch on a nightly basis.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:00 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:

"With the contracts for Scotty, Dru and Hank [Henrik Lundqvist], and then signing [Wade] Redden, they have almost $30M in four players, so there wasn't enough for me after that," Jagr said

Wasn't enough for you? Sounds like greed made him go away, not a true desire to stay and play (with reduced pay)
Greed? Call it whatever you want, but he's getting paid about twice as much for a longer period of time in Omsk than he would have with the Rangers.

I love people who get high and mighty about other people trying to make as much as they can. He obviously feels that he deserves to be paid more than the Rangers were willing to pay him. There's nothing wrong with that.

Jagr didn't spurn anyone. He didn't let anyone down. It was a mutual agreement by both sides to move on.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Pizza

Classic.

Simply Classic.

I was always going to love this guy. Even more so now.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:22 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
thank you for everything

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:25 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Thank you Jaromir! You were one of the best Ranger acquisitions of all time! In 3 1/2 years as a Ranger you did a heck of a lot for this franchise. It took Jaromir Jagr to end our LOOOOONG playoff drought. Thank you and I hope you do GREAT wherever you go.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:38 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Because it sounds like Sather was ambivalent about keeping him and may have lowballed him a bit

When you see all the ridiclous contracts out there that were being given to tier 2 players, a player like Jagr should have been paid close to or equal what a top flight tier one player of his statue.

I think Sather never had any intention of bringing him back & yes he did low ball him & was un-willing to move. I think Sather handled it the best way he could, & in the end Jagr made the decsion on his own, although he did force the Rangers hand a bit.

I hope Jagr is happy in Russia, but no way he plays the full 3 years there, maybe 2, but I wont be surprised if he checks out after one.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:50 PM
mti79

I will miss Jaromir on and off the ice. He was always fun to listen to and on the few occasions I met him before the game outside the Garden, I was able to get a good autograph and not just the squiggled JJ that he often gave out. I am happy that I was at the Garden for the final 2 games against Pittsburgh where he scored the final goals of his great NHL career. Best of luck Jags, you'll be missed.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I miss him already. Thanks so much JJ

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Odds of Jagr wearing Ranger blue in the HHoF???

I know his best years were in black and gold, but... still

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 03:08 PM
shoothepuck

Sather got used to Washington bucking up half his pay. He felt that 1 year @ 6 mil. was enough. JJ wanted more so he took the Omsk deal. Nice quote about Millbury.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Man am i depressed now, i hope JJ comes back to the NHL (maybe he wont like russia).

Does Anyone know if he has a clause where he can go back to N.A.?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Karan

A nice indepth Jagr interview I just saw today, that really captures his reaction to whats transpired in the past 24 hours - http://www.thescore.com/nhl/nhl_news...S-CP-147066062

Quote:
"It wasn't an easy decision," the star winger told The Canadian Press in a phone interview Friday. "It was the toughest decision in my life, hockey-wise. ...

"It was a lot tougher than I thought it was going to be," he added. "No question about it. I hate making changes."
Quote:
"Don't forget I'm from Europe," said Ja ingr. "Russia is nothing new for me. It's close to the Czech Republic. It would be different for American or Canadian players but for me, I enjoy it. The people love hockey and I had a great time out there."
Quote:
"I wanted to go home in three years so I was looking for a three-year contract if I wanted to stay here," said Jagr. "But it looks like with the new CBA, it's tough for older guys to sign long-term contracts because teams are worried you're going to get injured or retire and they're stuck with the salary on the salary cap."

As Jagr pointed out, the CBA stipulates that players 35 and over have their full contracts count against the salary cap even if the player retires midway through or gets hit by a bus.

"So it was too tough for any team to sign me to a three-year contract," said Jagr. "But I didn't want to do a one-year deal because I didn't want to go through the same thing again next summer. Because I really didn't enjoy this."
Quote:
"I want to thank all the teams that still believed in me and still made an offer," said Jagr. "Edmonton was probably the biggest offer I got. It was a great offer, to be honest with you."

While Jagr refused to say - "I don't want to get into that" - it's believed Edmonton offered a one-year deal worth around $8 million.

"I wish them good luck and thanks to (GM) Kevin Lowe and the new owner," said Jagr. "It wasn't an easy decision."
Quote:
"I'm thankful for the three years I had in New York," said Jagr. "They were great years. I understand that I'm older and the team decided to go in a different direction because they couldn't get the deal done.

"I will never say one bad word against the Rangers organization or Glen. They were great to me. And I'm not lying when I say that, it's really how I feel. They were always great to me."
Quote:
"The NHL gave me an opportunity to play hockey," he said, sounding like he was swallowing hard. "'And I played with so many great players. Especially in Pittsburgh with Mario (Lemieux) and Ron Francis and Bryan Trottier and Paul Coffey - all those great players. I had a chance to learn hockey from them. I was very lucky.

"Probably the luckiest year was when I was 18 years old and came to the Pittsburgh Penguins," continued Jagr. "It's not only about winning the Cup but it's about the players that won the Cup. They players on that team worked so hard to win that Cup. When you're a young guy and you see how hard the older guys work, you feel bad if you don't do that with them. They taught me everything - on the ice and off the ice."
Quote:
But as Jagr pointed out, it may not be the last we've seen of him in North America.

"Maybe I will see you in Vancouver in 2010," Jagr said, referring to the Olympic Games.

And it wouldn't be an interview with Jaromir Jagr without a laugh. He grumbled that his off-season has been cut short.

"Unfortunately the seasons in Europe start two months earlier than here," he said chuckling. "I have to get ready for the season now."

Karan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 03:19 PM
pld459666

Conspiricy theorist in me says that Jagr waited to make this decision until the Rangers had made a few moves to be in position to move forward comfortable enough that we didn't or wouldn't need his services.

Maybe he and Sather had an understanding that should Sather not be able to make certain moves or acquire the right players that Jagr would have been back, but once we made the Zherdev trade and announced the Naslund signing it was relatively quick that he agreed with Avangard after first saying he was going to tae some time to think about his future.

Seems that everyone went their seperate ways in good spirits and that's really surprising to me.

Maybe I'm digging to much into this.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 03:52 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Man am i depressed now, i hope JJ comes back to the NHL (maybe he wont like russia).
He enjoyed playing in Russia. Almost didn't return to the NHL after the lockout.

NHL tells Jagr, nyet on Russia - HFBoards

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...highlight=Jagr Omsk

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 05:00 PM
NYRSinceBirth

That's it. That quote alone put Jags on a different level. I mean, he took some responsibility (Regret not getting 84 pts), knew what the team was doing (Redden), and felt thankful for the time and everything done for him. I love it, he was mature to his critics his whole career [here in NY, at least], (Never really pointing anyone out, or saying bad things about it), now that it's all said and done, he gets the last laugh. Good for you JJ, good for you.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote