HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

TB/Hawks Habby for Smith

Old
07-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Sotnos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Wasn't it Feaster who coveted Smith anyway?
Again, the new owners have been running the team since January, and were most definitely in charge at the trade deadline.

07-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle View Post
Khabi is many things, but he is not lazy. From what I can tell, he has mental ups and downs that cause him to go on really hot streaks and really cold streaks (I think this is true for many goalies), but he is always a very hard worker.
I have followed this guy's career for many, many years. Work ethic is not his middle name exactly, he could get away with the laziness and coffee & cigarettes stuff when he was young, but if he's not a workout horse at this point there is trouble, and he physically doesn't look good when I've seen him the past few years IMO. He's missed time with a groin pull, that's poor conditioning. Back spasms scare me to death, guys miss tons of games due to those.

So, this would be a stupid, stupid move done for PR purposes, sounds like it's right up the new owner's alley! I love Khabi & have several of his jersies, autographs, posters, but this would not make me happy at allllll. Let's skip the reunion tour & stick with the youngster & his vet backup with Ramo taking Kolzig's spot next year, sounds like a much better plan.

Sotnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:18 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Kolzig already has accepted a backup role.

I honestly believe Khabi gets shafted when it comes to actual ability. He's not washed up, and he's certainly not useless. He's an above average starting goalie that's paid over his head. He's not Ray Emery/Dan Cloutier. It's not a huge burden to a team to have him on the roster if you've got cap space or are looking for an upgrade in net. His salary sucks, but for one year with the potential to move him at the deadline for more picks/prospects, he's definitely a player a rebuilding team can use.

07-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Traveler

It'd be hilarious if Kolzig ended up as a back up in Montreal. Than he'd be back up to price, in whom he formally owned. As in, he owns the tri-city americans. Price would have his ex-boss as a back up. You could make a movie with that plot.

Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 07:22 PM
GaryU

Perhaps he was lazy in Tampa, but he's in tremendous shape & has been since arriving in Chicago...Playing on a mostly bad team his 1st couple of years & injuries didn't help him look good..

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 07:43 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
I have followed this guy's career for many, many years. Work ethic is not his middle name exactly, he could get away with the laziness and coffee & cigarettes stuff when he was young, but if he's not a workout horse at this point there is trouble, and he physically doesn't look good when I've seen him the past few years IMO. He's missed time with a groin pull, that's poor conditioning. Back spasms scare me to death, guys miss tons of games due to those.

So, this would be a stupid, stupid move done for PR purposes, sounds like it's right up the new owner's alley! I love Khabi & have several of his jersies, autographs, posters, but this would not make me happy at allllll. Let's skip the reunion tour & stick with the youngster & his vet backup with Ramo taking Kolzig's spot next year, sounds like a much better plan.
Khabibulin has all the physical tools needed to be a top ten goaltender in this league. In fact, in the past few years he has even improved his glove hand which was a weakness earlier in his career.

Any weakness Khabi has is purely mental causing him to tend towards streakiness.

I may be a Hawks fan but Huet starting with Smith as a backup and Khabi starting with Kolzig as a backup both seem to be better setups than what the teams have now. The major problem that I see is that Tampa would be great this year with nothing at all for next year and after. If they're really high on Ramo, maybe this could happen.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:28 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
TB already has Kolzig...there is no way that either Kolzig or Khabibulin
accept a backup role.
Kolzig did last season.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:20 AM
GWF82

Send a message via AIM to GWF82
Rumor has it with Smith in the front office is they either want to lock him up for a few years or move him if he's asking for too much money as a guy that has all of about 60 games of NHL experience. They'd be more than willing to go with a Kolzig/Ramo tandem as there is still the camp in the front office that stands behind Ramo as being the future here and not wanting to see him go down this season.

I'm all for not having Smith here myself as I think Ramo outplayed him down the stretch and Smith still hasnt shown anywhere, even at the end of the season he could mentally hold down the starters role as the sole #1. That said, if they do lock up Smith for a while I hope they dont let Ramo languish here behind him.

GWF82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:30 PM
jasonwendecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
IMO - no truth to the rumor.

Ownership traded for Smith and he is going to be given every chance to hold the job. Kolzig is here to be the backup, insurance in case Smith can't do it, and most importantly to allow Ramo to play full time in the minors.

Kolzig has a one year deal and will be gone next year when Ramo comes up to back up Smith.

If it works out as planned, then things get interesting in 2010 - 2011 to see which one is the number 1.

From everything said by ownership, they have no interest in moving Smith.
what you're saying here doesnt make much sense, because there was word about this last week that smith was gonna be on his way out. this was brought up before the bullin wall rumor even started. so i wouldnt try to say that they wont move mike smith, when it's already been said that they're shopping him. it was all over sportsnet.

jasonwendecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryU View Post
Perhaps he was lazy in Tampa, but he's in tremendous shape & has been since arriving in Chicago...Playing on a mostly bad team his 1st couple of years & injuries didn't help him look good..
He wasn't lazy in Tampa, he was awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Khabibulin has all the physical tools needed to be a top ten goaltender in this league.
Heck yes he does, but the injuries (some of which are due to poor conditioning) scare me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwendecker View Post
what you're saying here doesnt make much sense, because there was word about this last week that smith was gonna be on his way out. this was brought up before the bullin wall rumor even started. so i wouldnt try to say that they wont move mike smith, when it's already been said that they're shopping him. it was all over sportsnet.
It was in our local papers that they were going to extend him, but haven't heard anything further since.

Unfortunately with this new regime, stuff that shows up on Sportsnet was probably planted by them & is therefore probably true. They're running this team through the gossip sites.

Sotnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 02:17 PM
hfgreg
Obviously...

I'm happy with Kolzig/Smith and Ramo in the wings. Loved Khabi when he was here but don't want to see him here again.

hfgreg is offline   Reply With Quote