HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Will Cherepanov Come Over?

Old
07-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Turambar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Which scares me casue Jags is their for 2-3 yrs.........he could influence the decision for him to stay

on the other hand Aminisev is coming soon and they can skate together again at the NHL level...............
Aminisev?

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 09:39 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
He also SAID when he was drafted that he'd play one more year in Omsk and be over here in the NHL this season. Things change. No one, not even Cherepanov, I'm sure, knows right now where he's going to play next season.

Having Jagr on the same team certainly makes it more attractive for him to stay. And don't think for a minute that Jagr will encourage him to come to the NHL next season if he's a dominant, integral part of the team in Omsk. Jagr wants to win. He didn't get another shot to do it in the NHL. He'll want whatever gives him the best chance of doing it in Russia.
CBA changed and the Rangers may not want to compensate Omsk.

No transfer agreement, compensation changes, Russia threatening young players by not allowing them to compete for Russia's international teams if they don't honor their contracts.

That has more to do with it.

Second of all, Jagr only signed a two year deal. What, Cherepanov is going to sign a one year deal after this just to play with Jagr? Doubtful.

People are getting way ahead of themselves here.

Insinuating he is smug because some ass clown internet website writer, self proclaimed expert was called out for being WRONG, so he blasts Cherepanov? C'mon.

He will be here when his contract expires.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 07-07-2008 at 09:57 AM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 09:49 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Agreed. Also, not to be unappreciative to Jess - who does a great job - but I gotta tell you that that piece reads pretty blatantly like a reporter grinding an axe against a player who he feels has shown him up/tried to make him look bad.

Which is funny, because I don't think Alex sold him out at all. Furthermore, from the ONE QUOTE, it sounds like the kid was kinda blindsided by the question - and that he's just doing what his agent and the two GMs tell him.

I'm waiting on real a quote from the player or - more to the point - one of the GMs, who are the guys REALLY in the know on this one.
I love the BB and the online & paper are great (go subscribe), but here is what I think happened.

When asked by a Russian paper about leaving (which has got to be a touchy subject over there - even if it’s for a few weeks during the season), he was a team player and didn’t want to piss off his current bosses. Did he handle it correctly, no. He’s a young kid that I’m going to assume isn’t very media savvy.

The BB gets put in the position where Cherry makes it look like they don’t have their facts right and are basically gossiping and not reporting.

Do I blame TBB for writing what they did? No effen way. I do think they rightfully have an ax to grind b/c Cherry has insinuated that they are gossiping, rumor mongering, etc.

That said, do I think this has a boatload of merit either way on him landing at MSG? No.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
what are you not understanding?

yes, those were his words.

what about his words after he was drafted?

So what makes anyone think his latest words are any different than his past words?

For all we know, this kid is just blowing smoke.
Read that quote again:

Quote:
I have two years left on my contract, but there is no clause that will not let me leave the year after this. Next year [2008-09] is my goal. Next year is what Im going to achieve.
Guess what? There is a clause now. He can't break his contract without compensating Omsk, unless Omsk agrees to release him, which they obviously won't. The Rangers can't pay to obtain his release because that would be against the CBA.

So yes, he said he would come over after 1 year, but Russia changed its law governing contracts after they lost in court to Malkin and now Chere is forced to honor the final year of his contract. It doesn't mean he doesn't want to come over. It doesn't mean he does, but I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't at least give it a shot.

Yes, players want to make money, but they also want to win, and they want to win on the biggest stage. While he was playing hockey growing up, where do you imagine he dreamed of playing hockey as an adult? I'd bet it wasn't the KHL.

I'm not saying he's definitely coming over, but the lure to follow in the footsteps of players like Ovechkin, Kovulchul, etc. is a strong one. If he truly believes he can be successful in the NHL, then he'd be crazy not to come over.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:07 PM
dank

Quote:
He also SAID when he was drafted that he'd play one more year in Omsk and be over here in the NHL this season. Things change. No one, not even Cherepanov, I'm sure, knows right now where he's going to play next season.

Having Jagr on the same team certainly makes it more attractive for him to stay. And don't think for a minute that Jagr will encourage him to come to the NHL next season if he's a dominant, integral part of the team in Omsk. Jagr wants to win. He didn't get another shot to do it in the NHL. He'll want whatever gives him the best chance of doing it in Russia.
exactly, i dont get how ppl are saying, "Jagr there will make it better for us"..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 01:48 PM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
exactly, i dont get how ppl are saying, "Jagr there will make it better for us"..
Jagr wouldnt really make him stay either......he is going to be playing behind jagr in every cituation...PP time will go more to him....and when it comes down to crunch time who is it going to be...Cherry of Jagr??? Plus Jagr just got a huge contract they are not going to spend big money to keep chereponov, for what to play a 2nd line RW....Fans will pay the ticket price to see one of the best to ever play the game JAGR....not chereponov....he will be in america next season trust me

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Unk

Call me naive or overly optimistic, but I don't see where this fear about Cherepanov is founded upon. From what I gather, he didn't have an impressive sophmore season and his conditioning was bad early on. Most prospects aren't ready to play in the NHL until after two seasons, so I don't see why him staying one more year in Russia is an issue. If he signs some kind've extension, then things get hairy, IMO.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:18 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLeetch2 View Post
Jagr wouldnt really make him stay either......he is going to be playing behind jagr in every cituation...PP time will go more to him....and when it comes down to crunch time who is it going to be...Cherry of Jagr??? Plus Jagr just got a huge contract they are not going to spend big money to keep chereponov, for what to play a 2nd line RW....Fans will pay the ticket price to see one of the best to ever play the game JAGR....not chereponov....he will be in america next season trust me
You can repeat your opinion as many times as you want, but you've provided no fact-based reason for people to "trust you" and in fact have showed that you have little knowledge of Russian hockey.

First of all, Russian franchises aren't run off revenue generated by ticket sales, they're funded by advertising and very rich men and corporations with money to burn, and in a number of cases, local governments. Who draws more fans is a non-factor financially.

And while Jagr is a nice trophy for Omsk and the new Russian league, he's in the twilight of his career. There would be no bigger coup for the new league (other than convincing Malkin, Ovechkin or Kovalchuk to return) than to convince their brightest young star to remain at home and forgo the NHL. It would be -- for them -- the ultimate sign that Russian hockey can compete with the NHL. You may not agree with that logic, but that is the logic they're working by.

Moreover, Jagr will be gone in 2, maybe 3 years. Cherepanov could be a star for them for the next decade plus. If you don't think Bardin will exert as much or more effort to get Cherepanov to re-sign next season as he did convincing Jagr to sign with them, you are being naive.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:43 PM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
You can repeat your opinion as many times as you want, but you've provided no fact-based reason for people to "trust you" and in fact have showed that you have little knowledge of Russian hockey.

First of all, Russian franchises aren't run off revenue generated by ticket sales, they're funded by advertising and very rich men and corporations with money to burn, and in a number of cases, local governments. Who draws more fans is a non-factor financially.

And while Jagr is a nice trophy for Omsk and the new Russian league, he's in the twilight of his career. There would be no bigger coup for the new league (other than convincing Malkin, Ovechkin or Kovalchuk to return) than to convince their brightest young star to remain at home and forgo the NHL. It would be -- for them -- the ultimate sign that Russian hockey can compete with the NHL. You may not agree with that logic, but that is the logic they're working by.

Moreover, Jagr will be gone in 2, maybe 3 years. Cherepanov could be a star for them for the next decade plus. If you don't think Bardin will exert as much or more effort to get Cherepanov to re-sign next season as he did convincing Jagr to sign with them, you are being naive.
regardless of the ticket prices......you have no facts either its all "here say" for you to say that he will stay there and play behind jagr for the next 2 or 3 years....all the endorsements and possibilities of making so much more money in america then russia.....obviously neither me or you know what cherponov are thinking i could be wrong and he could care less about making more money and being famous on the worlds best stage and would rather stay in russia with very little marketing opprotunities...unless he signs a new contract with Omsk there its all "your theory" that he is staying over there.....he said he is honoring his contract and i beleive him i dont see why people think he is blowing smoke up our ass

Old
07-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Fletch

Isn't the point...

that he may make more money in Russia where he doesn't have to learn another language, where he can be close to his family, where he can roll like a king as the cost of living is a bit below what it would be in the NYC Metro Area (I believe it is - but can't remember for sure now that I think of it). What's the max Chere can make in the next three seasons if he signs with the Rangers? Can he make a good deal more on a take home basis while staying at home? Are endorsements for Chere really going to amount to a heck of a lot? Isn't the point that the Russians may want to prove they can compete with a North American league by 1) attracting a top NHLer in Jagr and 2) retain a young up-and-comer that big market NY wants? Isn't that the coup Squishy speaks of and isn't that the risk?

I don't know much about the league, but since these guys have money, it's scary to think that their targets could be players like Chere or Anisimov; young talent who may be able to help a billionaire's team beat another billionaire's team.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:59 PM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
that he may make more money in Russia where he doesn't have to learn another language, where he can be close to his family, where he can roll like a king as the cost of living is a bit below what it would be in the NYC Metro Area (I believe it is - but can't remember for sure now that I think of it). What's the max Chere can make in the next three seasons if he signs with the Rangers? Can he make a good deal more on a take home basis while staying at home? Are endorsements for Chere really going to amount to a heck of a lot? Isn't the point that the Russians may want to prove they can compete with a North American league by 1) attracting a top NHLer in Jagr and 2) retain a young up-and-comer that big market NY wants? Isn't that the coup Squishy speaks of and isn't that the risk?

I don't know much about the league, but since these guys have money, it's scary to think that their targets could be players like Chere or Anisimov; young talent who may be able to help a billionaire's team beat another billionaire's team.
Thats all specualtion tho....who knows what he can make there or here????? No one knows (My point) is squishy is already convinced he aint coming here when tehre is no reason to think otherwise

Old
07-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Blueblood 2

Sather has feathered the bed with Zherdev and Anisimov. Money could keep him in Russia but I doubt it and he certainly isn't staying to play with some old man Czech. He plays out his contract and heads over. He can always go back if it doesn't work out.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 05:12 PM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
Sather has feathered the bed with Zherdev and Anisimov. Money could keep him in Russia but I doubt it and he certainly isn't staying to play with some old man Czech. He plays out his contract and heads over. He can always go back if it doesn't work out.
good point.....if he is only about money they he prob will stay but no one knows really

Old
07-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Fletch

We know...

that he can only make $x per season in the NHL (what is it, around $1MM) for the next three seasons, correct? The question will become, if this kid does end up doing well this season and he is a main contributor, do the owners match that $x to keep him. Sure it's speculation, and we also speculate by dismissing it outright. It's a possibility - one that's not out of the realm.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 05:25 PM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
that he can only make $x per season in the NHL (what is it, around $1MM) for the next three seasons, correct? The question will become, if this kid does end up doing well this season and he is a main contributor, do the owners match that $x to keep him. Sure it's speculation, and we also speculate by dismissing it outright. It's a possibility - one that's not out of the realm.
true we just dont know we will see

Old
07-07-2008, 08:26 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLeetch2 View Post
Thats all specualtion tho....who knows what he can make there or here????? No one knows (My point) is squishy is already convinced he aint coming here when tehre is no reason to think otherwise
You need to re-read everything I've written in this thread because NOWHERE have I said that he won't be here next season, I've merely noted the reasons for concern and argued against the short-sightedness of those who are stating there is no reason to worry. You're the one claiming to know what he'll do next year, i.e. "he will be in america next season trust me".

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 08:41 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
now that i think about it watch when chery comes to nyc jagr will sign one year to help him, it wont shock me, i think jagr had a plan all along
Or Jagr is pissed off about how the Rangers treated him (very likely) and if that is the case he may not exactly be filling the kid's head of sweet nothings of the glory of being a Ranger. In any case, the kid will probably come for the perceived fame and fortune.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
We could give him an incentive laden contract worth a little over 3 mil I believe(if he hits all the bonuses.)

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 09:31 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Honestly.. If the kid doesn't at least try to play in the NHL, then his character clearly suggests we wouldn't want him in any part of this organization... He's not a winner....

All the Ranger's management need to do to get him over here is send him a video tape of his post-draft interviews with his Agent... If he has any shred of dignity, he'll fulfill his word....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Pizza

It's pretty simple in my book.

He comes because he wants to be a Ranger and play in the NHL. He wants to help win a Stanley Cup in New York. This has to be a huge draw for any elite hockey player with a healthy ego. Especially a Russian kid.

If he can achieve that (or even come close) his stock will rise into the stratosphere. Then he goes home the conquering hero still in his prime with crazy coin awaitin'.
Talk about a feather in the KHL cap.

Any great warrior wants to cross the Rubicon. He'll be here or we didn't want him anyway.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 02:34 AM
Cake or Death

Quote:
"I want to make the situation clear once and for all. A final decision has been made to remain in Omsk for a year. I have a contract with Avangard and I intend to work through it to the end. Ranger representatives do not allow me to forget about them: they call periodically, they're interested in my affairs and plans. Of course, I want to prove myself in the best league in the world. And I will do so at the first opportunity. Much depends on Bardin's negotiations with the American side. But most likely I will leave for the NHL in a year."
- Cherepanov a few months back
^ What does that mean? What do any of his other quotes mean? To me, nothing. Maybe he comes over, maybe he changes his mind. Maybe he is leaning toward staying home, but keeping his options open by saying the politically correct thing to the NHL team that drafted him. Maybe he is dying to play in the NHL and doesn't want to publicly say that to avoid offending his current team. Myabe he wants to play in the NHL and feels he needs another season to get NHL-ready (and he really does). Ultimately, we don't really know what he's thinking, and trying to read his mind or assume what his true thoughts are, it strikes me as kind of pointless.

They're words. And coming from a guy dangling between two teams and two countries, you have to kind of take them with a grain of salt and just wait and see what actually happens. Basically, we won't know what's really going on till he signs his next contract, either here or there. In the meantime, another season in Russia will do him some good -- he could spend the year on my diet (pizza, steak, burgers) to get some weight on his body.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 06:26 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Cherepanov is excited to be playing with his idol Jagr.
Bardin said the most important was to sign Jagr and retain cherepanov.
He is going nowhere this year.

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 07-08-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 07:24 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Cherry

If you do any reading about Cherry, his development has been great because of some of the veteran players he is playing with on Omnsk.

With Jagr there, hopefully he gets a season playing with him to help his development.

I am sure Sather talked with Jagr before he left about the kid.

He's still a Ranger, he just plays in Russia now.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 07:40 AM
eco's bones

http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com/

weighs in. Cherepanov may be next season--he may be several seasons from coming over. He might cash in over in Russia until he's 25 at which time he can sign his first NHL contract for the market price of someone of his skill. Of course if his development stalls--who knows there might no longer be any interest on the Rangers part.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 08:12 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
http://theprospectpark.blogspot.com/

weighs in. Cherepanov may be next season--he may be several seasons from coming over. He might cash in over in Russia until he's 25 at which time he can sign his first NHL contract for the market price of someone of his skill. Of course if his development stalls--who knows there might no longer be any interest on the Rangers part.
A good read. Some very level-headed analysis of the situation. Most important take-away is the following:

Quote:
Is it any wonder why the Rangers do not appear to be all that worried about Cherepanov and why he will not be coming over this fall? The Ranger patience is just an act but give the Rangers some credit they know that sooner or later if Cherepanov is worth bringing over then the Rangers will get their chance.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote