HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Acquire Steve Bernier for 2nd and 3rd picks

Old
07-04-2008, 07:37 PM
monster_bertuzzi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
Which players that went for draft picks last summer would have fit the criteria of being top 6 forwards on our team? Every time I see some names, they were involved in deals that would have required assets the equivalent of Kesler or from teams that would never trade with us.
Well would it have been too hard for Nonis to move Bourdon, Edler, Schneider or any other of his assets with value last summer? It doesnt always take roster players.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Canad93

wow. vancouver tooled Buffalo.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 07:46 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Patience, my young friend, is something that all good businessmen have. Immediate results rarely ever occur.
That's why Aquilini canned Nonis?

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Dr. Nucksfan

Lots of posts mentioning Bernier's fitness.

So when he hears about the trade he's on a golf course, and his first words are: "Right now, the only thing I am thinking about is getting in shape and having a chance to improve myself with the Vancouver Canucks."

Heh. I expect to see him on the Grouse Grind soon.

Along with Wellwood.

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Dr. Nucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canad93 View Post
Yeah this seems to be the sentiment du jour.

Weird, too, that the Sabres traded TWO second rounders to the Sharks for Rivet. Rivet is 33 years old!

What? Do 2nd rounders grow on trees in upstate Noo Yawk?

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 07:53 PM
pitseleh

The Canucks posted an article from the Sharks about Bernier's training. It at least it sounds like he's committed to improving and is not another Wellwood.

Quote:
Then there is his physical conditioning drill. When he was drafted, the major knock on Bernier was his conditioning, but no one coming across “Big Bear” now would imagine that was ever a concern.

“Right now, I’m up at 6:45 every morning to eat breakfast and training at eight,” said Bernier.

Bernier does acknowledge joining a golf club and swinging the sticks several times a week.

“I have a membership and play four to five times a week,” said Bernier. “I’ve improved a lot. I started out hitting 96 or 97 and now I’m around 86. I have to be patient and improve mentally.”

As for one of his old Quebec favorites, Poutine, a highly enjoyable combination of fries, cheese and gravy, Bernier has kept the treat at bay.

“I want to eat right, so I said I could eat it once this summer, but I haven’t yet,” said Bernier. “I don’t think I’m going to do it. If I’m eating the right stuff, I can eat more of it. Mike Potenza (Sharks Strength and Conditioning Coordinator) gave me a great program. Because of him, I know what to eat. It’s easy when you think about it and understand.”

Even with liquids, Bernier is cautious of what he drinks.

“I used to drink at least three sodas a day, but now I drink mostly water or 100 percent juice,” said Bernier.

The working out and eating right, combined with a nice relaxed summer, could mark a breakout year for Bernier when camp rolls around in September.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 07:58 PM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
indeed.

I just dropped by the Bernier for draft picks thread in the Buffalo forum.

They are pissed.

Pissed about Regheir.

Pissed about their franchice.

Other fans are dropping in and laughing at them.

Other sabre fans its fair if we gave em Bieska or a later first rounder at least.

Good job Gillis on his first trade as Canuck gm.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
As for one of his old Quebec favorites, Poutine, a highly enjoyable combination of fries, cheese and gravy, Bernier has kept the treat at bay.

I want to eat right, so I said I could eat it once this summer, but I havent yet, said Bernier. I dont think Im going to do it. If Im eating the right stuff, I can eat more of it. Mike Potenza (Sharks Strength and Conditioning Coordinator) gave me a great program. Because of him, I know what to eat. Its easy when you think about it and understand.
Reminds me of a story a buddy of mine who use to work at White Spot in Kerrisdale told me.

Bertuzzi and Naslund used to come in there sometimes after the game; Bertuzzi would order a big burger and a beer. Naslund would order a Perrier and a salad.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
The Canucks posted an article from the Sharks about Bernier's training. It at least it sounds like he's committed to improving and is not another Wellwood.
That was prior to last season. Didn't seem to help much.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 08:37 PM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
That was prior to last season. Didn't seem to help much.
Wellwood is starting fresh hes said it himself.

Old
07-04-2008, 08:42 PM
BCS

Quote:
As a Sabres fan, I was steamed at first. But I love the Rivet pickup; he's what we were lacking in the locker room and on defense.

Regarding Bernier, I like him a lot. Hopefully he does great for you guys; unfortunate to see him go, but we had (and still have) too many NHL-ready forwards and really needed to address the 'D'.

Good luck, Steve and the Canucks.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 08:44 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymenoceros View Post
As a Sabres fan, I was steamed at first. But I love the Rivet pickup; he's what we were lacking in the locker room and on defense.

Regarding Bernier, I like him a lot. Hopefully he does great for you guys; unfortunate to see him go, but we had (and still have) too many NHL-ready forwards and really needed to address the 'D'.

Good luck, Steve and the Canucks.
Yep, in the end I think this move works out for both teams. Essentially moving Bernier for Rivet fills a big hole on the Sabres by moving an asset in an area of strength.

Old
07-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
When the Sabres held their end of season press conference Lindy Ruff was asked about Bernier's conditioning. Ruff vehemently disputed any notion that Bernier was out of condition. He called him an elitely conditioned athlete with one of the lowest body fat contents on the team. He said that he needed to improve his quickness and skating. Darcy Regier also commented on it this afternoon:
http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabre...n-rivet-d.html
Quote:
As for Steve Bernier, I find it odd you quickly ship out the guy you got for Brian Campbell but Regier pointed out there's a glut on the Sabres' right wing (could that really mean Max is staying?). He discounted any notion the team was unhappy with Bernier's conditioning or work ethic.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 08:57 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
When the Sabres held their end of season press conference Lindy Ruff was asked about Bernier's conditioning. Ruff vehemently disputed any notion that Bernier was out of condition. He called him an elitely conditioned athlete with one of the lowest body fat contents on the team. He said that he needed to improve his quickness and skating. Darcy Regier also commented on it this afternoon:
http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabre...n-rivet-d.html
Thanks for the information, it's much appreciated.

Old
07-04-2008, 09:02 PM
FruityPants3*

Elitely conditioned athlete? Well, that's awesome to hear.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:05 PM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
Elitely conditioned athlete? Well, that's awesome to hear.
i think hes joking.

Old
07-04-2008, 09:09 PM
BCS

Lindy Ruff described Bernier as being in "elite shape" at the Sabres' end-of-season press conference. I think Steve's conditioning issues are blown out of proportion. He's a big guy who needs to work on his footwork; no more, no less. Expect him to put up terrific numbers alongside the Sedins.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:23 PM
trbr86

I'm impressed by this deal. I really feared that Gillis would make an irrational trade. This helps both our present and future.

Still, if it comes down to "can Bernier be the Canucks savior? though, well, er.. uh... check please.

trbr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:36 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

from what Gillis said today, he does sound a bit like Nonis. It is now crystal clear that Nonis wasn't fired for his patience, he was fired because the owners didn't want him in charge. Gillis, much like Nonis, has stressed patience and conservative UFA bidding. I should rephrase that, Gillis isn't conservative, just more targeted (Sundin).

Love this deal, big time.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Awesome pick up. Love it. Mike Gillis seems to be down for the youth movement.

Rotting Corpse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Canucker

I'm happy with this deal, however it doesn't really go very far to making us contenders. Bernier isn't a proven commodity just yet, he's more about potential than a guarantee. We still have a couple significant holes to fill. I'm not saying Gillis won't be able to pull off filling them but I don't think we are out of the woods just yet. However I'm cautiously optomistic after today's deal.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Reign Nateo

Step in the right direction to be sure. Bernier has a great shot and will go to the net, jusy what we need. This doesn't solve all of our problems, but it's a start. He's not the fastest guy in the world and neither are the Sedins. He'll keep pace and try to finish in front of the net. This was a guy I was looking for. Nice pick up by Gillis. Interested to see what's next.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:55 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I'm happy with this deal, however it doesn't really go very far to making us contenders. Bernier isn't a proven commodity just yet, he's more about potential than a guarantee. We still have a couple significant holes to fill. I'm not saying Gillis won't be able to pull off filling them but I don't think we are out of the woods just yet. However I'm cautiously optomistic after today's deal.
I would say Bernier is the best line-mate the Sedins have compared to the past, it may not say much considering they were lined up with Cowan a few times but this is a step in the right direction.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:03 PM
lennie

On a slightly OT note. Its amazing how the Bernier Acquisition has completely brightened the mood around here.

lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:05 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

when did the Sedins ever play with Cowan? Maybe once during his hot stretch?

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote