HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Salary Cap System Needs to be Changed (Re: Jagr)

Old
07-04-2008, 01:11 PM
The Big Dog*

vCash: 500
Salary Cap System Needs to be Changed (Re: Jagr)

Another example of why teams should be able to go over the cap by a certain % to keep their own players.

There's no reason Jagr shouldn't be playing in the NHL next year. New York can easily afford to pay him, yet they are prevented from doing so by the league.

The result? The fans lose out.

This is a first ballot Hall of Fame player. He is also still capable of playing for 2-3 more years if he so decides. He's also one of the few players in the entire league with any name recognitions south of the boarder.

The fact that he's leaving the NHL is very bad news for the NHL. Not good for the league at all.

The Big Dog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:16 PM
kdon999

Nothing stopped the Rangers from re-upping on Jagr, bro. They decided he wasn't worth the dollars, so they paid other players.

READ: Even if the Rangers COULD go over the cap, Jags would not be playing in New York.

kdon999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:25 PM
The Big Dog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdon999 View Post
Nothing stopped the Rangers from re-upping on Jagr, bro. They decided he wasn't worth the dollars, so they paid other players.

READ: Even if the Rangers COULD go over the cap, Jags would not be playing in New York.
If by "nothing", you really mean "the salary cap", then I agree with you.

Without a cap, Jagr is still a Ranger. Period.

Old
07-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Shoalzie

Not to be rude, but a lot of players wouldn't leave their teams if there wasn't a cap...you can't just single out Jagr leaving for Russia as a reason to change the cap. It's too bad it came to that but every team plays by the same rules. Sather didn't have to sign Naslund instead of Jagr.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:44 PM
hockeydadx2*

A soft cap benefits the Rangers, Flyers, and Leafs. It hurts the small market teams. I'm quite sure that fans of large market teams would love the ability to go over the cap anyway possible.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Rangers could have kept Jagr, but they prefered to dish out money elsewhere. The cap didn't do this, the Rags management did

Nizdizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Hockeygod66

the whole point of the cap is so the rangers cant sign naslund redden and jagr and keep doing this year in and out to be the yankees on ice. The rangers didn't make him a priority. The cap is working as intended. The fans in the south dont care if hes not playing for their team.

Hockeygod66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habitant View Post
Another example of why teams should be able to go over the cap by a certain % to keep their own players.

There's no reason Jagr shouldn't be playing in the NHL next year. New York can easily afford to pay him, yet they are prevented from doing so by the league.

This is a first ballot Hall of Fame player. He is also still capable of playing for 2-3 more years if he so decides. He's also one of the few players in the entire league with any name recognitions south of the boarder.

The fact that he's leaving the NHL is very bad news for the NHL. Not good for the league at all.
this is a case of where people have to suck it up.

there is a cap, rangers make choices and they chose to spend their money elsewhere. It would defeat any purpose if you could blow your wad on free agents and then go over the cap to keep whomever else they still want on their team.
management has to learn to manage their assets.

also who really gives a crock about USA name recognition? I think the game has gone downhill in pandering to non traditional hockey markets.
and if Russia wants to give Jagr 15 million a year, let them.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Ned Ryerson*

Quote:

If the league doesn't want to pay for a player like Jagr to play in the NHL, then he will jump to a competing league. Whether or not the league will do this is dictated largely by how much money the fans are willing to spend.

Ned Ryerson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:02 PM
The Big Dog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygod66 View Post
the whole point of the cap is so the rangers cant sign naslund redden and jagr and keep doing this year in and out to be the yankees on ice. The rangers didn't make him a priority. The cap is working as intended. The fans in the south dont care if hes not playing for their team.
The intent of the cap was top drive Hall of Fame players out of the NHL and overseas?

Sweet.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:04 PM
The Big Dog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Not to be rude, but a lot of players wouldn't leave their teams if there wasn't a cap...you can't just single out Jagr leaving for Russia as a reason to change the cap. It's too bad it came to that but every team plays by the same rules. Sather didn't have to sign Naslund instead of Jagr.
They didn't sign Naslun *instead* of Jagr. Naslun signed for only $4 million. Jagr was worth far more, but the Rags couln't pay him what he was worth under the cap system. Therefore, he's out of the NHL.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
If by "nothing", you really mean "the salary cap", then I agree with you.

Without a cap, Jagr is still a Ranger. Period.
Jagr is being overpaid right now, but a lot of the owners in Russia have deep pockets so they can do that. Can you imagine the uproar if there was no cap and Jagr had signed with the Rangers for $17.5 million dollars?

That is basically screwing every small market team.

There were other teams in the NHL that could have paid Jagr a very large amount of money. He could have stayed in the NHL.

If the Rangers intentions were to sign him then they screwed the pooch.

IMO they were not too interested in signing him.

If anything they could tinker with the cap and add luxury penalties for going over like some of the other leagues do.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:06 PM
The Big Dog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Rangers could have kept Jagr, but they prefered to dish out money elsewhere. The cap didn't do this, the Rags management did
Without a cap, there is no need to chose between player A and player B. The Rangers could have picked up Redden and Naslund while re-signing Jagr.

It's as simple as that.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Shoalzie

He still could've signed with another NHL team, ya know? He wasn't driven out of the league by the cap...he got a good deal with a team overseas and took it. Sorry, but this isn't a tragic situation like you make it out to be. This was a case of a player and an organization making a choice. I don't know how much more money the Rangers have to spend and what they could've offered Jagr something but Sather out and out cut ties with him.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:11 PM
The Big Dog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post

also who really gives a crock about USA name recognition? I think the game has gone downhill in pandering to non traditional hockey markets.
There's a lot of hockey fans in "traditional" hockey markets who want to see Jagr play. Too bad it will never be in the NHL again.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Buzz Killington

Quote:
Without a cap, there is no need to chose between player A and player B. The Rangers could have picked up Redden and Naslund while re-signing Jagr.

It's as simple as that.
Then your argument isn't about whether the Rangers could keep Jagr. It's about whether big market teams can have massive payrolls and hoard free agents. They could have re-signed Jagr as long as he wanted under the maximum salary. They just allocated that money differently.

Without a cap, one could argue that fans lose out more because the teams with higher revenue can drive up the price of the top players and smaller market teams can't retain those players, thus creating a competitively imbalanced league.

Buzz Killington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Shoalzie

Sather knows damn well how much money he can spend and he made a choice to not fit Jagr into his plans. Don't hate the system, get on your GM's ass about how he spent money this summer.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:

It's as simple as that.

This tactic worked so well for the Rangers before the lockout too.

The cap is in place and is going nowhere for now. If something happens, it won't be because fans are annoyed that their team is not signing every free agent available.

If the NHL starts losing stars left and right to Europe then something may change. One superstar in the twilight of his career signing for $10 more than any player in the game is not the current norm.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Impossibles

Quote:

It's as simple as that.
Well....DUH.

A no-cap system was great if you were a fan of the top 5-6 revenue teams.

But for the fans of the other 25 teams, it sucked watching all the good players signing with the same teams year after year.

Impossibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Heat McManus

Quote:
There's a lot of hockey fans in "traditional" hockey markets who want to see Jagr play. Too bad it will never be in the NHL again.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Fans in "traditional" markets also had 18 years or so to see him play. The KHL did not sign Ovechkin or Crosby. It's not happening soon. Russia needs to take care of a few other things before it becomes an epidemic of sorts.

Old
The Big Dog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Sather knows damn well how much money he can spend and he made a choice to not fit Jagr into his plans. Don't hate the system, get on your GM's ass about how he spent money this summer.
He's not "my" GM. I couldn't care less about the Rangers. What I care about is the NHL and this is only the beginning of legit stars fleeing the NHL in droves.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:23 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Nothing would make me happier to see the Rangers turn into the Knicks, but this isn't about the Rangers. There is an adjustment period, of course, but 15 years from now fans are going to look back and realize the salary cap was the best thing to happen to the NHL in a long time.

I feel no loss in Jagr going to play in Russia ... he's a floater that only played for himself. If he wants to go be irrelevant in Russia, go ahead. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
He's not "my" GM. I couldn't care less about the Rangers. What I care about is the NHL and this is only the beginning of legit stars fleeing the NHL in droves.
Yeah, OK.

Ovechkin...check
Crosby...check
Malkin...check
Thornton...check
Lecavalier...check
Iginla...check
<<insert your team's franchise player>>...check

I think the NHL will survive this.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
they won't.

Lots of players would rather stay in NA and play against the best competition.

Russia needs to improve on a lot of other areas. They need an international television contract for one.

Medical and equipment staffs are lacking. Even the newer larger arenas are nowhere near the colossal temple's that are in the NHL.

In addition, for the same reason many Russian players stay there, many NA players will stay here: they don't feel the need to adapt to a new style and a new culture.

It could happen in the future, but not just yet. The KHL has a long, long way to go.

Old
07-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Mothra

Quote:
me thinks you are delusional

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote