HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Salary Cap System Needs to be Changed (Re: Jagr)

Old
07-04-2008, 02:32 PM
kmart

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to kmart
i think it has something to do with the cap room, but what really bothers me is the fact that no team match the offer from the russian team. what will happen next? the nhl lose star players cuz the teams can not payout their players? if something like that happened again the nhl would disestablish the cap rule as fast as possible.

kmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Gee, the NHL lost an aging HOFer who's on the decline. Might as well just fold the league.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
i think it has something to do with the cap room, but what really bothers me is the fact that no team match the offer from the russian team. what will happen next? the nhl lose star players cuz the teams can not payout their players? if something like that happened again the nhl would disestablish the cap rule as fast as possible.
Do you want your team to match 2 years $35 million?

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Do you want your team to match 2 years $35 million?
Jagr didn't sign for that much.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
my bad. still 2 years at $7m tax free ($11m in the NHL)?

I love Jagr's ability but I'd be pretty pissed if the Devils signed him for that knowing they could have gotten two players for $5m

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:50 PM
TorFC-TML*

I agree with the OP.

The salary cap is a farce that will only serve to hurt the NHL and promote the growth of the new KHL.

Not that I have a problem with it. I want to see the KHL flourish. Of course this will happen in place of the NHL ever having European expansion, but I think from the CBA negotiations the league has made it perfectly clear they are never looking too far ahead.

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:58 PM
saskganesh

ok. so my name is Fletch Clift. I manage a hockey team in a large market.

first thing I do is sign the best FAs to lucrative short term , 1 year contracts. which brings me to the cap. then I renew my own FA's, claim the hometown exemption and wind up with a 100 million salary. but its ok, because I can keep the homies at no penalty

next year my FA's from the year before are now hometown. I resign them, invoking the exemption. then I go and shop for more open market FAs. but its ok, because noone is being deprived of watching them play.

may as well get rid of the cap and wait for the next lock out.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 03:16 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
i dont want him in my team again, but i would like to see him a couple of years in the nhl just because he has the skills to compete with the best and the story's around him, things like that. but its jagrs fault too, he just want to much green. in jagrs case its right to let him go.

but im sure there will be a time when a young great talent who want to play in the nhl get a deal from euro/russia where he makes 3x more money as in the nhl, he just has to sign it. that is the end, image crosbys and ovechkins would be all over the planet and not in one league.

for the future i hope players will not be that greedy.

kmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Bandit

I didn't realize Jagr's only two choices were the Rangers or Russia.

Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Forever Blue

The salary cap has nothing to do with it.

The Rangers are building the team around the strengths of Gomez, Drury, and the young players (who've been taught this style in the AHL). They decided to move on from running the offense through Jagr and want to create more team chemistry and have a balanced attack.

If the cap was $200 million dollars, Jagr wouldn't be a Ranger. End of story.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
The system DOES allow for teams to go over by 10 % in the offseason...

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:52 PM
T-Funk

it was the length, no one wanted to give him 2 years

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:59 PM
guyincognito

Everyone fell for the publicity stunt. Plenty of NHL teams could have signed him for what he got. Apparently, they didn't want to give him the second year.

Yes, there's the tax issue that makes the money worth more than the money he got there, but that's a pretty fair contract for Jagr's services. Probably beyond fair. Of course, the KHL is going to make up a bunch of ******** about how much they paid him so they can massage their egos, when they just couldn't say "hey, we signed Jagr, we're moving along on our plan."

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:04 PM
PensFan68

Why would anyone want to get rid of the cap. It was a great addition to the NHL, and I love that it's not a lenient cap. Yeah, it would benefit the Pens to not have one now that we're selling out every game and making alot of profit, but I still love having it. If Jagr wants to be a greedy little -----, let him. As a couple others have mentioned, the Rangers weren't the only team in the NHL he could go to.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:06 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

that is all.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Soundwave

I would like to see a soft cap because I think the current cap is a bit too restrictive. You may never see any dynasty in the NHL again because of this style of cap.

I agree that there should be a somewhat level playing field, but it doesn't have to be exactly even for everyone. We just want to get away from the 90s where one team had a 75 million dollar payroll versus another one with 25 million or something.

I think a soft cap roof that allows certain teams to go over the cap by say $5 million, which is charged as a dollar-on-dollar luxury tax (given back to revenue sharing teams) would be a good way to do it.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:13 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

I think a soft cap roof that allows certain teams to go over the cap by say $5 million, which is charged as a dollar-on-dollar luxury tax (given back to revenue sharing teams) would be a good way to do it.
I think the major problem with that is, once you start it, it's going to always go up. They're going to end up saying with salaries and the cap going up, the cap overage should go up too. You also then risk teams saying that since you can go 5 mil over and just pay a tax, why not just let us spend as much as we want and pay the penalty.

Sooner or later, without having a hard cap, you're going to see a team like the Yankees in the NHL. Baseball is absolutely ridiculous with the way they let teams go over, and sooner or later hockey would end up being the same way.

Keep the hard cap, and the minimum number, and keep it as fair as possible.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Three out of four major sports leagues in North America use a cap and while I was first skeptical about the NHL's it has turned out to be the best and most efficient out of all of them.

The stars are still getting their big payday, the constant turnover of teams rosters that was feared has for the most part not materialized and most importantly small market teams have been able to stay competitive unlike in baseball and basketball there is always it seems the same 3-4 teams that can't escape being nothing but doormats to the rest of the league.

As much crap has been heaped on Gary Bettman is does deserves great credit for holding a tough line against the players union because as far as I can see the NHL's cap has been a major success.

07-04-2008, 10:21 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
Three out of four major sports leagues in North America use a cap and while I was first skeptical about the NHL's it has turned out to be the best and most efficient out of all of them.

The stars are still getting their big payday, the constant turnover of teams rosters that was feared has for the most part not materialized and most importantly small market teams have been able to stay competitive unlike in baseball and basketball there is always it seems the same 3-4 teams that can't escape being nothing but doormats to the rest of the league.

As much crap has been heaped on Gary Bettman is does deserves great credit for holding a tough line against the players union because as far as I can see the NHL's cap has been a major success.
The whole point of the thread is moot anyway, because no one needed a soft cap to sign Jagr.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:25 PM
sharkie88

The Rangers didn't think Jagr was worth signing and he didn't want to sign elsewhere (Edmonton). That's why he is not in the NHL.

sharkie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdon999 View Post
Nothing stopped the Rangers from re-upping on Jagr, bro. They decided he wasn't worth the dollars, so they paid other players.

READ: Even if the Rangers COULD go over the cap, Jags would not be playing in New York.
That was a dumb statement, the rangers would take him back in a heartbeat my friend.

actually they really wanted him back but never heard from him and didnt want to lose out on other players.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Forever Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
That was a dumb statement, the rangers would take him back in a heartbeat my friend.

actually they really wanted him back but never heard from him and didnt want to lose out on other players.
If they really wanted him back, they would have made a concerted effort to re-sign him.

They wanted to go to a faster, puck moving offense. They wanted to hand the team to Gomez and Drury.

They didn't want him back. They only would have taken him back if he agreed to their salary, to not be the focus of the offense, or if they could get Sundin to sign early on. None of that was possible.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie88 View Post
The Rangers didn't think Jagr was worth signing and he didn't want to sign elsewhere (Edmonton). That's why he is not in the NHL.
I think what the OP is trying to say is that the salary cap system will make players leave for russian and other overseas league. Top players that should be in the NHL won't be here because better deals that fit their personal situations will be offered elsewhere.

Jagr was looking for a two year deal, around 8 mil, give or take per season. Because of the salary cap system no team would offer him the money and the 2 years he was looking for so he went somewhere that would. That somewhere means he probably won't skate another shift in a NHL jersey of any colours. I'm sure that there are other reasons that a GM might not want to offer a multi year deal Jagr at this stage in his career but I don't think anyone could deny that the cap is a big part of that reason.

Other than maybe allowing for a franchise player like the NFL does I really don't see anyway you could, or would want to change the current cap system but I do understand the point the OP was making.

Stanley Foobrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habitant View Post
Another example of why teams should be able to go over the cap by a certain % to keep their own players.

There's no reason Jagr shouldn't be playing in the NHL next year. New York can easily afford to pay him, yet they are prevented from doing so by the league.

The result? The fans lose out.

This is a first ballot Hall of Fame player. He is also still capable of playing for 2-3 more years if he so decides. He's also one of the few players in the entire league with any name recognitions south of the boarder.

The fact that he's leaving the NHL is very bad news for the NHL. Not good for the league at all.
I was wondering when you would come out of your cave Mr. Goodenow.

Johnnybegood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:30 AM
kdon999

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post

Heh, sorry bro but you're wrong. I know everyone with man-love for Jagr is worked up into a tizzy right now, but take a dose of reality. Jagr wanted a multi-year contract and the Rangers told him to shove off. This has nothing to do with the cap. If the Rangers wanted to sign him, they could have. They had cap room. They used it on other players. Period.

kdon999 is offline   Reply With Quote