HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Will Tampa ownership find it difficult to attract free agents next year?

Old
07-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Spezza

vCash: 500
Will Tampa ownership find it difficult to attract free agents next year?

I've been thinking about Dan Boyle's comments regarding the way he's was threatened by waivers if he didn't waive his NTC. Does anyone think that Tampa might struggle to attract free agents while their current ownership are calling the shots? Or will other teams apply similar tactics in the future?

I can't help but think that the new ownership had this in mind all along. It's surely better than losing Boyle to free agency in the short term at least.

Spezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:32 AM
The Price is Right

nope tampa is a nice area very sunny with beaches and it attracts players

The Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Picklepete

Send a message via AIM to Picklepete
Winning cures all !
It the Lightning can put it together next yr with the moves being made, players will come.
I hope..

Picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:05 AM
danishh

vCash: 50
i dunno. That kind of situation only applies to top players with NTC's. My feeling is that, apart from possibly a new d-man, tampa has all of those allready, and will be shopping more for role players.

Regardless, the allure of sunbelt hockey in a city that actually has hockey fans will not discourage people from signing there.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

Nope.

In the end...$$$$ talks.

07-06-2008, 10:08 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Don't they already have like 30 guys signed for next season?

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Safir*

Nope.

Will Tampa ownership find it difficult to extend contracts of the teams own free agents next year? Maybe.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safir View Post
Nope.

Will Tampa ownership find it difficult to extend contracts of the teams own free agents next year? Maybe.
Not with Vinny committing for his lifetime, imo.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:53 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

who do they need to sign? seems like they signed enough players to ice two teams

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:55 AM
93xxGilmourxx93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza View Post
I've been thinking about Dan Boyle's comments regarding the way he's was threatened by waivers if he didn't waive his NTC. Does anyone think that Tampa might struggle to attract free agents while their current ownership are calling the shots? Or will other teams apply similar tactics in the future?

I can't help but think that the new ownership had this in mind all along. It's surely better than losing Boyle to free agency in the short term at least.
I think a lot of that depends on what Boyle does/says in the future. If he goes to SJ and this is never brought up again, then no, it will be forgotten. However if he does any interviews and completely bashes Koules and Barrie, and goes into more detail of what happened, they yes, it definitely could.

Look at all the heat the Leafs are getting for the McCabe situation, yet Tampa JUST re-signed Boyle long-term with a NTC then threatened to put him on waivers - not great business practices for either club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post
Nope.

In the end...$$$$ talks.
Believe it or not, a lot of players DO care about the organization they're playing for and not just how much money is being thrown at them

93xxGilmourxx93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Lemieuxfan

Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
I think Stamkos will let them shine in very near future.

Lemieuxfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:18 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieuxfan View Post
I think Stamkos will let them shine in very near future.
not if they don't improve their blueline

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:25 AM
SkullSplitter

they've got plenty of cap room next year to do so.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:28 AM
VelvetJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
they've got plenty of cap room next year to do so.
are they spending to the cap?

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Lemieuxfan

Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
Carle, Matt is 23,O‘Brien, Shane 24,Ranger, Paul 23, Picard, Alexandre 22, Lundin, Mike 23..and then the 31 old Kuba. but that defense can grow, grow together for years to come, and I'm sure they will. I have no doubt that they can develop so quick that they make the play offs this comming season!

Lemieuxfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:34 AM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
:shrug:

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:47 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Carle, Matt is 23,O‘Brien, Shane 24,Ranger, Paul 23, Picard, Alexandre 22, Lundin, Mike 23..and then the 31 old Kuba. but that defense can grow, grow together for years to come, and I'm sure they will. I have no doubt that they can develop so quick that they make the play offs this comming season!
Also got Matt Smaby 23 and Vladimir Mihalik 21 as options for defense Smaby has already played some time in the NHL and I think Mihalik will do at some point this year and be full time next year. Oh yeah and the newly aquired Niskala 26 who is on a 1 way contract.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:48 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
This year they want to spend to around the cap midpoint or something like 48-50 million, but they havent stated their future payroll plans, so your guess is as good as mine.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Jaded-Fan

Players sign a NTC for a reason, and often for less than they could have signed elsewhere. Detroit, the Pens recently, a lot of teams have players who signed for less than they could have for various reasons. To trade them after is a slap in the face and I am sure will hinder your getting other players to sign at cap friendly numbers in the future.

There are a whole series of tactitcs that I am sure players hate. Threatening a player's NTC is just one of them. I hear all the time from fans of teams who sign a guy in his 30's to a big contract for a lot of years 'oh no worries, we can just send him down to the minors.' Hell, I have seen Organizations do just that, over and over, or play with the LTIR rules, etc, etc. sending a guy down when he says he is able to play. Yes, the players still get their money, but most want to play if they believe they still can at the NHL level. I have always believed that there is a potential cost to moves like that and that players do care how an organization is percieved to treat its players. And in fact I do not see those organizations signing many for any bargain prices. If I were an organization I would use such tools pretty lightly. And if I am a player I would insist on things like NMC, etc. to protect myself. Or I would just sign elsewhere.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:02 PM
boredmale

I don't think they will have problems attracting most free agents(if they the highest bidder), but I think they will have issues attracting Top free agents if they plan to go that way(ie guys who can demand NTC or NMC).

If they do sign a top end player i am sure he will demand a NMC and go there. Basically what Tampa did to Boyle will hinder alot of contract negotiations and make players have tougher negotiations with Tampa.

Last edited by boredmale: 07-06-2008 at 12:07 PM.
boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:30 PM
fIREnIcE

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Also got Matt Smaby 23 and Vladimir Mihalik 21 as options for defense Smaby has already played some time in the NHL and I think Mihalik will do at some point this year and be full time next year. Oh yeah and the newly aquired Niskala 26 who is on a 1 way contract.
yeah thats a great young core of d-men plus boyles 6,666(if they dont find a a suiter for him ) then yes they wont be able to sing any people. but some poster said how the team has so many young players it could mean trouble when it comes time for 2nd and 3rd contracts. That d is going to be good and as a group can only get better. So look for raises in a few seaons at like 500k 02.5 of course they will have to amake the playoffs and preform team(ranger ehhhemm) have looked good on paper before but nothing. Will peopletyr not to sign there no, but will they be looking prob not. Like signing with the pens or even the caps players wanna sign there with vinny, mart,the ghost of richard(jk) n stamkos, but with all the money theyve been giving out theres not that much room. Is Gratton isgned yet i hope not, although we have gribders up the wazooo id love himon the devil( ihope we make a trade for a legit#1 D man and we can move some people up in lines and CG would be a great 4th line center for his tag but that niether here nor there)

On paper they improved their team greatly, I also think smith is going to be a great goalie. Ive seen him on nbc, vrs an against the devils and HE might need a raise in while too, hes just a lil green (pardon the insult, not intente but he has alot to live up to being traded for BR), I see a problem they might not be able to keep everyone but theyll worry about that when the time is right!

Last edited by fIREnIcE: 07-06-2008 at 12:39 PM.
fIREnIcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:32 PM
KenAF

Tampa is a great place for a married person [with a lot of money] to live -- probably top 3 in the NHL. Couple that with the fact that Tampa is consistently top 3 in attendance and they are one of the more desirable destinations for players, provided they can win. Most players do not want to lose, year after year.

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:38 PM
DelVecchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Price is Right View Post
nope tampa is a nice area very sunny with beaches and it attracts players
+ Free Agents are attracted to teams which are showing a commitment to improvement.

The part about being pressured to waive the NTC clause I don't care for; It's dishonorable in my book. But it seems to a common practice, and future UFAs will forget about it.

DelVecchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:39 PM
IranCondraAffair

I think they'll be fine, if anything , Ottawa might have the same problem

We did the same ******** with redden

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
Tampa is a great place for a married person [with a lot of money] to live -- probably top 3 in the NHL. Couple that with the fact that Tampa is consistently top 3 in attendance and they are one of the more desirable destinations for players, provided they can win. Most players do not want to lose, year after year.
Top 3 in league attendance? Or just Sun belt attendance? Decent market considering the location, and winning would cure their woes. But if the ownership's moves backfire and more circus antics pop up, people will lose interest. And those who still care would picket through St. Petersburg burning Oren Koules and Barry Melrose in effigy or something.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote