HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canucks Making Offer Sheet For Valtteri Filppula

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2008, 02:17 PM
datsyukfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulisian Spinorama View Post
Yet even that would replace the aparently crippling losses of Naslund and Morrison. I guess since the season starts on July 7th Gillis needs to work fast.

u do know other teams are also getting better as well so its not like a slight improvement will put anywhere better than where u were last season

Old
07-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Great, so you're going to trade for a high-priced contract just because you have the room for one? That's SMART! Because other than that, I'm not seeing what magical assets the Vancouver Canucks have to make a big trade. I don't even mean that in a mocking way. Seriously, Kevin Bieksa is just about the only trade chip the team has.

But I'll play along. Let's say Bieksa nets Havlat. You get what you wanted: that flashy, high-priced player who is desirable because he makes millions.

Brendan Morrison- 39 GP, 9-16-25
Martin Havlat- 35 GP, 10-15-27

Wow, what a spectacular upgrade! You replace a decent two-way center that costs around $3.5M with a $6M rental that scored about the same. Congratulations, Vancouver. What an awesome plan.
You're just trying to be difficult. Bernier cost 2 picks, one of which was in 2010, but a year of a dissapointing Havlat who is much higher priced and heading to UFA will cost Bieksa? Lets get real here, Havlat has a ton of red flags and Chicago is within 200k of the cap right now with 2 forwards left to sign, I bet a 4th rounder does the job. Money is also no issue, especially on a one year deal.

Old
07-05-2008, 02:20 PM
datsyukfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Bernier effectively replaces Naslund on the Sedin's wing. If Mike Gillis can't replace Morrison's 25 points with the $17mil he has to work with he should be shot. Is it even possible the Canucks couldn't upgrade their scoring with the amount of cap space left?

The Canucks will not garner a top 10 pick next year unless they're absolutely ravaged by injuries. Put Filppula in the equation and their probably a 15-20 overall pick without utilizing their other $10mil in cap space.

yah well you have already offered one player that whole ten million dollars and that player is in his late 30's smart move Canucks hope u get him he will be the exact same as he was in Toronto that is on a team who will not make the playoffs

Old
07-05-2008, 02:21 PM
trbr86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
I heard that they were going to match but they had 7 days. GM's were calling Davidson and telling him to match it on the 7th day so Vancouver couldn't hand out anymore offer sheets and it would give them more time to sign their RFA's.
Oh I certainly understand the logic. Gord Miller of TSN made the very point Tuesday afternoon, when St. Louis announced their intention to match. He said that they would be wise to wait the full seven days.

Miller was back on air a few minutes later, and announced what he said was for naught, and that St. Louis had in fact officially matched the David Backes offer sheet.

There has been no indication otherwise.

Old
07-05-2008, 02:22 PM
bullocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift View Post
Oh I certainly understand the logic. Gord Miller of TSN made the very point Tuesday afternoon, when St. Louis announced their intention to match. He said that they would be wise to wait the full seven days.

Miller was back on air a few minutes later, and announced what he said was for naught, and that St. Louis had in fact officially matched the David Backes offer sheet.

There has been no indication otherwise.
Yah your right they already matched..

Old
07-05-2008, 02:24 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulisian Spinorama View Post
You're just trying to be difficult. Bernier cost 2 picks, one of which was in 2010, but a year of a dissapointing Havlat who is much higher priced and heading to UFA will cost Bieksa? Lets get real here, Havlat has a ton of red flags and Chicago is within 200k of the cap right now with 2 forwards left to sign, I bet a 4th rounder does the job. Money is also no issue, especially on a one year deal.
That's fine. But it doesn't improve the team! That's what I don't get. It's fantastic to have money, but there is nothing to spend in on that's even as good as what just left town, never mind better.

Come on. Try it. What do you think Bieksa will get you from a forward perspective?

Old
07-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Wyrm

The amount of delusional Wings fans is simply astonishing. What happened to the Hockey City and its fans who once were quite knowledgeable about hockey?

Vancouver now has a team which is basically the same as last year's + healthy blue line. So now they will suddenly finish bottom 5? with Luongo in net and the same defense?

It's more likely that fascination with the 1st overall pick is taking its toll in the form of lost brain cells.

Old
07-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Rotang

@ MrBugg

You're right, making knee-jerk signings for players who don't fit his blueprint for the team, all to appease the reactionary message board crowd is the much savvier move.

This year saw the worst UFA crop in recent memory. Gillis made plays for the top three names - one of which hasn't even made up his mind. Jagr signed in Russia and Hossa turned down longterm offers for a chance at the cup next year.

as for your ridiculous hypothetical, Bieksa would garner significant value in a trade given his skillset and contract. With the question marks surrounding Havlat and his contract being up at the end of the year, he doesn't have 1/2 the value of Bieksa.

Old
07-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Bieksa won't be moved most likely, unless they get good value for him. There's no need to. The Canucks lost 34 goals with the departure of Morrison and Naslund. Havlat is a decent gamble if he's cheap, and afterwards the team still has 11 million to fill one spot. Sundin, Shanahan, Demitra, Nagy, Filppula, or someone else can be attained through a signing, offersheet or trade. I don't think it's a stretch to assume that Bernier, Havlat and whoever can manage more than 34 goals between the three of them.

Old
07-05-2008, 02:35 PM
CRDragon
\_(シ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandsam View Post
Wouldn't be a great move on the 'Nucks part.

Compensation:
$2,343,764 - $3,515,645 1st and 3rd round pick
$3,515,645 - $4,687,527 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick

Filppula would land in that range so the rebuilding would be looking at parting ways with a 1st, 3rd and possibly 2nd if Vancouver wants to make sure Detroit doesn't match. and besides the 'Nucks 1st rounder has a decent shot at Tavares/Hedmen
i think ur outta date on the compensation stuff.

3.9 now would be a 1st and a 3rd.

Can someone confirm this?

07-05-2008, 02:52 PM
HenrikZ40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDragon View Post
i think ur outta date on the compensation stuff.

3.9 now would be a 1st and a 3rd.

Can someone confirm this?
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....fer_sheet.html

Quote:
Here's the compensation chart for restricted free agents:

Average salary (compensation)
$863,156 or below -- none.
More than $863,156 to $1,307,812 -- third-round pick.
More than $1,307,812 to $2,615,625 -- second-round pick.
More than $2,615,625 to $3,923,437 -- first-round and third-round picks.
More than $3,923,437 to $5,231,249 -- first-round, second-round and third-round picks.
More than $5,231,249 to $6,539,062 -- two first-round picks, one second- and one third-round pick.
More than $6,539,062 -- four first-round picks.

Old
07-05-2008, 02:56 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsyukfan View Post
Sorry playing with Hossa and datsyuk
That's part of the problem here. If Fil only puts up big numbers with these kinds of linemates is it really him that deserves the money? Homer and Cleary put up nice totals too when they're on the big lines and both make less than $3M/yr.

Plus, if Babcock decides to split up the big boys odds are that Fil might end up centering the 3rd line with some combination of Hudler/Cleary/Samuelsson/Kopecky as his wingers.

Old
07-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Dupree13

Sorry I didn't read through the whole thread....so what's the story, are they giving him an offer sheet or what?

Old
07-05-2008, 03:26 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens15 View Post
Sorry I didn't read through the whole thread....so what's the story, are they giving him an offer sheet or what?
No one knows. A couple writers speculated it would be a good idea. A radio guy called up Filppula's agent to ask and the agent said there has been no talks with Gillis with regards to Filppula. But then added that he'd be a good fit in Vancouver if they were inclined to try.

Old
07-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsyukfan View Post
buddy you might want to start spelling his name right first of all it's Filppula not Filppuka and you should be worrying about icing a team that will make the playoffs before starting to even think about talking about Detroit and there cap situation Kenny Holland knows what he is doing if the price is right he will sign Filppula he loves the guy and wont let him get away he knew what he was doing in signing Hossa and he will get Filppula's deal done he's Kenny Holland he gets everything he wants done
My bad for spelling Filppula's name wrong. Too early in the morning. Knew something wasn't quite right but couldn't place it at the time.

As to the rest of your post, please note my post was in reply to norrisnick, not to you. Not that I don't welcome your input, but please lose some of that chip you seem to have on your shoulder.

My thread stems out rejecting the premise that Vancouver was tendering a offersheet for Filppula and were trying to sign him to a contract that would see Vancouver losing a first and thrid round pick, or more, in the 08/09 draft. That would make no sense what so ever from a Vancouver stand point and it is turning out that the rumour was started by a local Vancouver broadcaster and Filppula's agent.

Norrisnick felt the Wings would try to sign Filppula long term, likely around $2.6M/yr or less. This makes sense except, unless the Wings make changes to their current lineup, that amount this season, rather than next season, uses up most of your cap space. No GM, including the Wings GM likes restrict the team so much, especially as the Wings can stick to their qualifying offer this season and negotiate all season long to extend Filppula's contract starting in 09/10. Of course your GM is going to make his own mind up as to what he thinks is the best move for the Wings. All I was trying to point out is he doesn't have to spend the money this season unless he's forced to.

I also pointed out, that even though the offersheet rumour seems bogus, there may be some ground where the Wings and the Canucks could be good trading partners. Vancouver definately needs to acquire a second line centre (or a 1st & use Daniel as the second) to begin this season. I don't see us signing Sundin and I don't see us trying to push Hodgson into the NHL so soon. Worst case is we use Kesler as our second line centre and break up our shut down line. The biggest likelyhood is we sign a UFA like Demitra or we trade for a centre. Not necessarily Filppula, but someone like him who is on a team where he is being underutilized because the other team is stacked at the centre position.

Old
07-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
Let's just say Vancouver offer him $15 million. You're saying that if Flip rejects the offer the Wings would have to sign Flip to a $15 contract?
That is flat out wrong.
Where precisely did I say this.

You indicated that if Filppula signed a $4M+ offer sheet the wings could match and then move one of Samuelsson or Lilja or buyout Maltby to meet the cap. You then said that they could still manage to sign Zetterberg, Hossa and Franzen next year. I simply asked how they would manage to do this within the salary cap.

Old
07-05-2008, 05:07 PM
bullocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
No one knows. A couple writers speculated it would be a good idea. A radio guy called up Filppula's agent to ask and the agent said there has been no talks with Gillis with regards to Filppula. But then added that he'd be a good fit in Vancouver if they were inclined to try.
The station also said sources told them the Canucks are indeed sending an offer sheet to him. I listened to it last night. Obviously none has been sent as of yet.

Old
07-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelVecchio View Post
Wings don't need to buy out Maltby. He was under 35 y/o when he signed his present contract, so he can be waived off the cap.

Additionally, with 2 yrs. @ $850,000 per (one-way contract) remaining his contract also provides a certain amount of waiver-claim repellent.

If it ever got to that point I think the Wings would waive Maltby and call him up in March as our yearly 'playoff depth' acquisition. he even gets to visit his wife: Grand Rapids is about 150 miles west of his present home.

Try again.
If you read my post you would see that it was in response to a Wings fan's claim that buying out Matby would save cap space. You are certainly correct that he could be waived or sent to the minors, but the cap savings will be about $3009K at best. This does not make up the millions necessary to do what the previous poster said could be managed without touching your core.

Old
07-05-2008, 05:10 PM
opendoor

Filppula filed for arbitration, so I believe that removes the possibility of an offer sheet.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/...itration_list/

Old
07-05-2008, 05:14 PM
bullocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Filppula filed for arbitration, so I believe that removes the possibility of an offer sheet.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/...itration_list/

Old
07-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
OK, that pretty much kills this rumor..

closed.

Closed Thread