HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canucks Making Offer Sheet For Valtteri Filppula

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2008, 03:27 PM
The Overseer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
And? I doubt he would sign it anyway.

Why leave the team you just won the stanley cup with, who just added another 40 goal scorer. Hopefully the kid has a brain.

Yeah, who wouldn't want to be buried on the 4th line, making a million less than he could, during the most important development years of his career?

Old
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdHC View Post
Until Backes is officially signed by St Louis, Vancouver cannot dangle their 2nd pick in an offer sheet to another team.
Too bad its probably the 1st+3rd which we do have.

Old
hockey_nut

so... did this really happen, or what?

Old
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdHC View Post
It's exactly how it works according to McKenzie and McGuire.

On TSN McKenzie and McGuire said Davidson received phone calls by other GMs not to accept the offer sheet by Vancouver until the last day allowed (7 days after the offer) so that Gilles cannot go around making other offer sheets using that 2nd pick.

Even though Davidson said he would match, what if on the 7th day he changes his mind and in the meanwhile Gilles goes off and puts an offer forth for Filpula and he accepts?

Until Backes is officially signed by St Louis, Vancouver cannot dangle their 2nd pick in an offer sheet to another team.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242187
Quote:
The Vancouver Canucks were the first team out of the gate in the restricted free agent market, signing forward David Backes to a three-year $7.5 million offer sheet.

But the St. Louis Blues moved quickly in matching the offer, signing the 24-year-old almost immediately after he signed the offer sheet with Vancouver.

''David is a major part of our youth movement in St. Louis and we expect him to play a huge role as we move forward,'' Blues president John Davidson said.

Old
07-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut View Post
so... did this really happen, or what?
Still hasn't been announced by either parties, just reported/rumored by a Vancouver Radio station I believe.

Old
DTownWingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
Yeah, who wouldn't want to be buried on the 4th line, making a million less than he could, during the most important development years of his career?
And you know he's going to be stuck on the 4th line how exactly?

Old
VelvetJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Oh, the irony of it all.

Listen, kid. Kevin Lowe blah blah Oilers blah blah pot blah blah kettle blah blah so ****!

Anyway, I doubt Filpulla signs. If the Wings can keep just about every one of their players from wanting high salaries they can do it with him too.
Nope, you didn't get the joke.

Old
07-04-2008, 03:29 PM
jared37

they should send a offer sheet to LA for O'sullivan, but seeing how much cap room LA has i think they would match almost anything

Old
Vote Quimby

Has anyone found a link for this offer sheet? Not that I doubt the original poster but I haven't seen anything on any website.

Q

Old
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
4th line? What?

Filp will be their 2nd line center next season, probably playing with Marrian Hossa on his right and Johan Franzen on his left. Excellent for development, and a great shot at another cup.

That's much better development than moving to a team in transition, with an overweight bear on his right.

Old
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
Using hockeybuzz for anything is your first bad move. Secondly i've read in Detroit papers that Holland has stated he has just above $4 mill. Thirdly, http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...ET&season=0809.
Hockeybuzz signed a deal with nhlscap.com to host their numbers there, so the salary information on Hockeybuzz is actually pretty reliable. It's not like Eklund is doing the numbers.

Old
07-04-2008, 03:30 PM
RewBicks

Quote:
Didn't Vancouver draw up the Backes deal?
Right, and they knew that by offering him that kind of money, they'd end up with one of Backes (for cheap) or Johnson due to the Blues self-imposed cap. A brilliant move made by an on-the-ball management team, and one that clearly paid off. That you're too dim to see what actually went on there speaks volumes about the value of your opinion.

Old
07-04-2008, 03:31 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD View Post
http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/

"Here's my new best estimate after the Hossa signing ... the Red Wings' cap number for next season is a little more than $53.2 million. The league salary cap is $56.7 million.

That leaves about $3.5 million this season to sign Valtteri Filppula and Chris Chelios, assuming Jimmy Howard will be in Grand Rapids and his salary won't count against the cap. So that's more than enough room to sign both Fil and Cheli."

those numbers are a mil off.
OK, with Abdelkader and Helm off, they have 4m available... That puts them at 19 players....with Filppula, Chelios and Quincey needing signed.......which likely puts them with 2.2-2.5m left after Chelios and Quincey signed?
Holland is in a tough spot.

Old
07-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
Nope, you didn't get the joke.
Neither did you.

Old
07-04-2008, 03:32 PM
VelvetJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob116 View Post
Right, and they knew that by offering him that kind of money, they'd end up with one of Backes (for cheap) or Johnson due to the Blues self-imposed cap. A brilliant move made by an on-the-ball management team, and one that clearly paid off. That you're too dim to see what actually went on there speaks volumes about the value of your opinion.
Woah hold on there tiger.

Old
07-04-2008, 03:32 PM
flip51

bwahaahaa! if this is true. He is my favorite Finnish Red Wing, but if the Canucks are stupid enough to throw him big money I'd take the picks and run. Somehow I don't think he'll even sign said offer sheet. And if it isn't high enough Kenny will just match. Whatever the outcome of this it is a win-win situation for Detroit!

I would miss him though. DON'T DO IT FLIPPER!

Old
07-04-2008, 03:33 PM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
OK, with Abdelkader and Helm off, they have 4m available... That puts them at 19 players....with Filppula, Chelios and Quincey needing signed.......which likely puts them with 2.2-2.5m left after Chelios and Quincey signed?
Call it quits with Chelios then, and keep your youth with great upside.

Chelios wasnt exactly a presence in the final was he...

Gillis really would look a fool if he puts this offer in.

Old
sticknrink

I wonder if Gillis and Holland are negotiating right now for Filppula.

The same thing happened with Bernier, Vancouver was going to send an offer sheet but both teams negotiated something out instead.

Old
Boomhower

Quote:

Datsyuk was a 4th liner at Filppula's age, he seemed to do alright for himself.

Also it's much more likely he would play with one of Datsyuk or Zetterberg on the second line.

But he'd probably develop better playing on a second line with Mayson Raymond and Taylor Pyatt!!
Especially Pyatt, he knows a thing or two about developing and living up to expectations.

Old
DTownWingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Chelios will more than likely be signed to a similar contract as last season, seeing how he won't see much playing time at all. And Quincey shouldn't be signed for that much either, so I wouldn't put it past Kenny to get Flip signed just fine, that of course if he even signs said offer sheet.

Old
VelvetJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Neither did you.
Then his joke is better worded than yours. I missed the art of %$#@^& in uni.

Old
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
I don't get why some here are so incensed about Vancouver [or any other team] giving an offer sheet. Did I miss some clause in the CBA that says they're really not acceptable? It's a perfectly legal tool - why some are outraged about it, I don't understand.
When you think about it, it's perfectly understandable why people get upset: it drives prices up, which affects every team and makes it harder and more expensive for everyone to keep and sign their own young talent, and the higher prices invariably increase ticket prices. The only good in it is for the union, which, I'm sure, loves it to death. In just one year, we've seen RFA prices escalate at least one million across the board. People who complain about offer sheets are, more likely, IMO, complaining that they exist at all. Just because a rule exists, it doesn't mean that people have to like it. It may be in the books, but exercising it does the union a big service and the league (and, by extension, the fans) a big disservice.

Old
Denny Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by taunting canadian View Post
Seriously, people: "something about a sewer".

"Something about a sewer".

Do you really think that's a serious statement in a serious post? Do you guys all need a roadmap and a bunch of flashing signs to point out obvious sarcasm?
yes...yes you do

and it makes me sad

Old
07-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip51 View Post
bwahaahaa! if this is true. He is my favorite Finnish Red Wing, but if the Canucks are stupid enough to throw him big money I'd take the picks and run. Somehow I don't think he'll even sign said offer sheet. And if it isn't high enough Kenny will just match. Whatever the outcome of this it is a win-win situation for Detroit!

I would miss him though. DON'T DO IT FLIPPER!
How many Finns do they even have?

Old
07-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
Using hockeybuzz for anything is your first bad move. Secondly i've read in Detroit papers that Holland has stated he has just above $4 mill. Thirdly, http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...ET&season=0809.
Maybe you missed this at the very top of the home page [important items in bold]:

Quote:
Disclaimer

The numbers listed in this site are not entirely accurate. Sources for these numbers are listed further down this page. If there are any discrepancies, please relay any questions/suggestions to me. This site is meant for a quick and dirty look at each team's cap figure. Please take the info with a grain of salt.
So why you'd continue to use a site that admits up front that it's not correct and shouldn't be completely trusted, I have no idea.

My estimates for Detroit are based on a best guess of what their roster might look like to start the season - if Abdelkader and Helm won't make the opening night roster, I can move them off at any time. [Hint: since Detroit fans have a better idea of who will and won't make the opening night roster, input here is appreciated.]